Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

Hmmmm..... each part with 8 elements?

Personally, I prefer the Korg structure, with each part having 2 elements, it's altogether a faster, simpler structure to work with.

I believe Korg can have 2 oscillators in each part (program), but each oscillator can have 4 multisamples (their equivalent to elements). If you could really only have two "elements" in a part, you'd be quite limited in velocity switching. You need at least three to get even to the level of a Kurzweil triple strike. ;-)

Hmmmm.... don't know exactly how that works in terms of multi-samples. Once on the Yamaha forums, Bad Mister said there were 800? multi-samples that made up their piano sounds.

What I remember from working with my Korg M3, was you had 2 'elements' for each part to work with, and could mix and combine up to 16 of those for a multi.

Just looked at the manual for the M3, and you're right. You can have 2 'oscillators' per part, and each oscillator can have 4 multi-samples.

More than anything though, I just remember finding the 8 elements of a part on the XS7 much more daunting than working with the 2 oscillators on the M3.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

TO ALL MODX OWNERS:

Can you use the DAW volume knob on the front panel to control the volume coming back from the iPad? In other words does the built-in audio interface work with the iPad also?

Hmmmm.... don't know exactly how that works in terms of multi-samples. Once on the Yamaha forums, Bad Mister said there were 800? multi-samples that made up their piano sounds.

Two possible sources of confusion here:

...Different companies use terminology differently. Yamaha calls the individual components of their PCM sounds "elements," Korg calls them "multisamples."

...The total number of samples used for a sound in its entirety is not the same as the number of samples used to play a single note. If all 88 keys of a piano are sampled at 4 velocities, that's 352 samples in mono, 704 in stereo. But that could still be reproduced with 8 samples per key (times 88 keys).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I know the CFX in the MODX/Montage was sampled in 10 velocity layers...

I was just creating an example to show how easy it is to get to that many samples. 88 keys at 4 velocity layers, or 44 keys (sampling every other key) at 8 velocity layers, or fewer at ten, whatever.

As for Bad Mister's specific comment, I don't know how old that was, it may have predated the Montage.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

MODX question:

One of the things I didn't like about my MOX6 was that when using the parameter knobs like filter cutoff, the values were stepped and not smooth. Please tell me that Yamaha did not cut this corner in the MODX instruments.

Thanks.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

TO ALL MODX OWNERS:

Can you use the DAW volume knob on the front panel to control the volume coming back from the iPad? In other words does the built-in audio interface work with the iPad also?

USB knob will change volume of an iPad, yes.

MODX question:

One of the things I didn't like about my MOX6 was that when using the parameter knobs like filter cutoff, the values were stepped and not smooth. Please tell me that Yamaha did not cut this corner in the MODX instruments.

Thanks.

Thankfully the ilters are smooth, but there's an option to make them step too if you wanted.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Hey everyone,

I picked up a floor model MODX7 on Saturday and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to set the reverb and variation type effects in a performance. The information didn't seem to be in the manual either. Any clues?

I'm not sure I will ever get used to the keybed, but it sure does sound sweet.

Thanks,

Bill

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

TO ALL MODX OWNERS:

USB knob will change volume of an iPad, yes.

What cable is used from the MODX to the iPad?

Hey everyone,

I picked up a floor model MODX7 on Saturday and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to set the reverb and variation type effects in a performance. The information didn't seem to be in the manual either. Any clues?

Thanks,

Bill

I think you

a. Select Performance - Go in Performance screen (not Live Set)

b. Press edit

c. There are both common effects, and also effects within each part.

Part Effects

> Ref manual, starting on Pg 75

Common Effects edit

> Variation effect = Reference manual pg 170

> Reverb effect = Ref manual pg 171

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Bill

I think you

a. Select Performance - Go in Performance screen (not Live Set)

b. Press edit

c. There are both common effects, and also effects within each part.

Part Effects

> Ref manual, starting on Pg 75

Common Effects edit

> Variation effect = Reference manual pg 170

> Reverb effect = Ref manual pg 171

Wow, that was right under my nose...thank you!

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

At the current price, is there any reason not to own a modx?

Its the perfect base of your setup..

Just add some modules (gemini, integra7, peak)

And some vsts (mainstage, komplete, omnisphere, keyscape, pianoteq, diva, v-collection)....

My current mini setup consists out of the modx8, a small self buid rack with these modules, a mac mini 2018 with huge external drive, an ipad as the screen, and 2 korg nano 2 (controll and pad) .... and yes, there is lots of room on the modx8 surface for the korg nanos and my apple trackpad..

But then, for most a modx7 stand alone will work just as well

And some vsts (mainstage, komplete, omnisphere, keyscape, pianoteq, diva, v-collection)....

My current mini setup consists out of the modx8, a small self buid rack with these modules, a mac mini 2018 with huge external drive, an ipad as the screen, and 2 korg nano 2 (controll and pad) .... and yes, there is lots of room on the modx8 surface for the korg nanos and my apple trackpad..

I think your opening question there is asking whether there is anything else at its price that could be a better MIDI controller, right? I might make a case for the Numa Compact 2/2X, because you get aftertouch. All the other stuff you lose I think can effectively be replaced by everything else you have in that rig.

This guy is a pro reviewer, covers alot of ground quickly, the screen is easily seen, keeps it snappy and interesting. Makes me want to get a MODX7!

I think your opening question there is asking whether there is anything else at its price that could be a better MIDI controller, right? I might make a case for the Numa Compact 2/2X, because you get aftertouch. All the other stuff you lose I think can effectively be replaced by everything else you have in that rig.

Almost everthing, except the arps of the modx, which i use a lot for many different thing, next to its great sound, it is the major sales point for me on the modx..

Aftertouch however is a nice touch, and probably the only thing missing on modx..

I alsoont think the numa 2x has the ease of use of the modx, which is another huge advantage of my modx.. the main reason i replaced my kronos with the modx.. the workflow is incredible

I was a person who jumped to Korg after using Yamaha Motif-line keyboards for years. This decision was entirely because of the MIDI limitations of the Montage/MODX and I was fairly critical of Yamaha's decision. (Not looking to re-debate this; I'm fully aware that Yamaha doesn't owe me anything.)

So anyway...I have to give some credit where credit is due. I played the MODX8 for the first time at Guitar Center yesterday. It was right next to a MOXF8 and I have to say that the keyboard on the MODX8 was soooooooo much better than the MOXF8. Perhaps this was just because it was newer (since I have seen claims that they are the same keybed.) If not, then well done Yamaha.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I've already returned my MODX7. I keep discovering that I don't need anything more than the Kronos.

I've already returned my MODX7. I keep discovering that I don't need anything more than the Kronos.

Agreed. I like my Stage 3, but if money was tight I could easily get along with just the Kronos and a decent low-end Casio/Yamaha stage piano.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

First gig report with MODX7:

-It doesn't look as cool as my Electro.

-By the time the gig had come I'd spent so much time programming songs that I was getting sick of the board. The fun had gone.

-On the gig it performed well. I'd mis-saved some songs, which led to 1 or 2 awkward moments, but the MODX was able to comfortably cover with one board what my Electro & FA used to do together.

-Some of the sounds I'd set up just made me think time and time again "Wow, that sounds good."

-Really cut through the mix well. I heard it better through the FOH speakers than I ever heard any of my old boards. My in ears had a mono mix of my stereo feed for some reason, which sounded harsh, crap and tinny, but stereo FOH sounded sublime.

-Band loved some of the sounds I got out of it.

-I love the action now. For a synth keybed, it plays really, really well.

-After the gig I started to think I'd prefer something like a Stage 3 (which is still on my GAS list) for the simplicity. There was a song where the band went into an impromtu jam. On my Nord I would have just called up a clav sound and threw some pedal-WAH on it in seconds, but that was out of the question on the MODX. It's not as immediate and requires pre-programming. Again, in that regard, Nord has spoiled me.

So I thought I was getting buyers remorse, but I powered it up earlier today and began playing and making music just for the hell of it rather than trying to work on cover songs for work, and I fell back in love with it. It's depth and sonic quality is lovely. I'm hankering to get back to it once the kids are in bed.

A Stage 3 compact is still my dream board, but it's well out of my budget atm. The MODX will keep my happy and busy for a long time, and its versatility means it will serve me well as a one board solution in whatever pickup gig gets thrown at me. It's a keeper.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

-By the time the gig had come I'd spent so much time programming songs that I was getting sick of the board. The fun had gone.

-On the gig it performed well. I'd mis-saved some songs, which led to 1 or 2 awkward moments, but the MODX was able to comfortably cover with one board what my Electro & FA used to do together.

-Some of the sounds I'd set up just made me think time and time again "Wow, that sounds good."

-Really cut through the mix well. I heard it better through the FOH speakers than I ever heard any of my old boards. My in ears had a mono mix of my stereo feed for some reason, which sounded harsh, crap and tinny, but stereo FOH sounded sublime.

-After the gig I started to think I'd prefer something like a Stage 3 (which is still on my GAS list) for the simplicity. There was a song where the band went into an impromtu jam. On my Nord I would have just called up a clav sound and threw some pedal-WAH on it in seconds, but that was out of the question on the MODX. It's not as immediate and requires pre-programming. Again, in that regard, Nord has spoiled me.

So I thought I was getting buyers remorse, but I powered it up earlier today and began playing and making music just for the hell of it rather than trying to work on cover songs for work, and I fell back in love with it. It's depth and sonic quality is lovely. I'm hankering to get back to it once the kids are in bed.

A Stage 3 compact is still my dream board, but it's well out of my budget atm. The MODX will keep my happy and busy for a long time, and its versatility means it will serve me well as a one board solution in whatever pickup gig gets thrown at me. It's a keeper.

Thanks for the gig report!

So... it's great to hear you like the action. Tried a MODX6 at GC, which I assume is the same as the 7, and found it pretty decent.

Getting ready for a gig on a new board is alot of work, even with a NS3. Perhaps its just the tedium of working for hours? From what i've seen of the UI, it looks pretty straightforward for basic sound edits, the biggest problem being all the endless options available, and having up to 8 elements to program on a Part level. Had a XS7 which I found super frustrating and annoying, and compared to my experience with Yamaha altogether, the videos I've seen make the MODX look relatively user friendly.

No? You seem like the person to ask, I also instantly bonded with the NS because of its simplicity so we have that in common, but am intrigued by the exotic sonic possibilities (which I'll leave others to program, the advantage to a large user base!!!) and the sound quality. That it sports close to 6Gbs of sounds, plus the CFX piano (that's the one most CP4 users rave about, right?), is a good indication. I played a piano sound on a Montage with Yamaha HS5 speakers setup, what a sound!

Thanks for the gig report!

So... it's great to hear you like the action. Tried a MODX6 at GC, which I assume is the same as the 7, and found it pretty decent.

Getting ready for a gig on a new board is alot of work, even with a NS3. Perhaps its just the tedium of working for hours? From what i've seen of the UI, it looks pretty straightforward for basic sound edits, the biggest problem being all the endless options available, and having up to 8 elements to program on a Part level. Had a XS7 which I found super frustrating and annoying, and compared to my experience with Yamaha altogether, the videos I've seen make the MODX look relatively user friendly.

No? You seem like the person to ask, I also instantly bonded with the NS because of its simplicity so we have that in common, but am intrigued by the exotic sonic possibilities (which I'll leave others to program, the advantage to a large user base!!!) and the sound quality. That it sports close to 6Gbs of sounds, plus the CFX piano (that's the one most CP4 users rave about, right?), is a good indication. I played a piano sound on a Montage with Yamaha HS5 speakers setup, what a sound!

The UI is good once you get the hang of it. There is a LOT of depth though. The effects are a bit tricky. On the Nord for example, you hit the delay button then you have a dry/wet knob and a rate knob. On the MODX you have around 8 delays to choose from and each of those delays have around 5-10 parameters each to tweak. There were times where I was thinking "HOW DO I JUST TURN THE DELAY DOWN A BIT?!".

The biggest frustration was learning how to map things to the various controllers and how that all works. Yes, you can push a button and just assign things to the superknob, but you quickly run out of assignment spaces that way. If you assign something to one of the 8 virtual knobs then assign those to the SuperKnob however, the SuperKnob can do much more for some reason. Once I got my head around that it was mostly easy. It was just the tedium of doing so many songs towards a deadline.

The exoticness and sound capabilities are huge. Was playing through a lot of them tonight and ended up playing the thing for hours. Making music with presets is definitely fun, and the sequencer makes it easy to record ideas. Would need a DAW to do that with the Nord. I've hardly even touched the motion control thing yet, and am yet to dive deep into the FM synth engine. From what I've seen I can see why people in the DX7 thread said they were intimidated when it first came out.

I thought the Electro was my favourite board, but I haven't turned it on since I got the MODX 3 weeks ago. I miss the organs, but whenever I think I want to plug it in and play some B3, I end up getting lost in a synth sound on the MODX and forget about it. I may try hook the Gallelio app up to the MODX...that could satisfy that itch.

And yes, the CFX piano is that good. I like it a lot, especially when layered with other stuff. If it is what's in the CP4 I can see why people rave about it.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

And yes, the CFX piano is that good. I like it a lot, especially when layered with other stuff. If it is what's in the CP4 I can see why people rave about it.

The CFX samples in the Montage/MODX are actually newer than the samples in the CP4.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first got my MODX7 the low point seemed the keybed. Fast forward a few weeks of getting used to it and I love it. Just great. Funny how that can happen.

Soo much bang for the buck. And 16 lbs!

I love that my computer/iTunes is coming in/out the USB and my Kemper guitar processor is AUX in and I can mix the 3 of them right on the front panel.

I've recorded more since I got this than the last 5 years, just to the memory card. Keys, guitars, mixed with iTunes jamm tracks or drums loops. Great scratchpad.

Any MODX8 owners whove had their boards for 6 months care to report on the durability (moving for gigs) and action (key clacking)?

Ive heard not so good things on the Yamaha Forums but am interested in hearing from guys here.

Ill probably end up with a CP73 as a secondary board,but want to do my due diligence for all possibilties.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Any MODX8 owners whove had their boards for 6 months care to report on the durability (moving for gigs) and action (key clacking)?

Ive heard not so good things on the Yamaha Forums but am interested in hearing from guys here.

Ill probably end up with a CP73 as a secondary board,but want to do my due diligence for all possibilties.

No keyclacking here.. i dont gig much with it... but play a few hours a day in rehearsals..

For a lightweight plastick key, it feels very durable, no complaints there...modern day plasticks are some of the strongest builds, they keep strong while still being flexible..

Thanks KorgyPorky and KeyMoe!

Anyone else?

Also thoughts on the casing itself?

I tried to pick it up from its stand in the store, but it was on one of those in wall multi level tiers and I didnt have enough leverage or distance to get any idea of the durability

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I'm looking for a 2nd/3rd tier gigging board to complement my Kronos 61, Prophet Rev2, and Integra. After N4drOj's and others positive review regarding keybed action, I'm almost ready to go for the MODX7.

Other contenders were:

Montage 7 (+ aftertouch, - large and heavy)

Forte 7 (+ programmability and form factor, ? rompler soundset quality)

Privia PX5S (+ already own, too long).

One of the biggest negatives on the MODX is how its parts are locked Part X on MIDI chX, Part Y on MIDI ch Y, etc. But with the mention of element level split/layer and note ranges, I think I can workaround the limitation and integrate it into my cover song combis.

Hmmmm..... each part with 8 elements?

Personally, I prefer the Korg structure, with each part having 2 elements, it's altogether a faster, simpler structure to work with.

Not only do you have more control over fx, you can mix and match parts much more easily.

Like anything, there's advantages to 2 elements vs 8 elements per part, and like N4dr0j says, there's wicked cool things you can accomplish if you're willing to put in the time.

But once you've done in-depth 8 element design, your building blocks, parts, are very specific, whereas 2 element design is much more open ended.

That said, the MODX7 is at the top of my list of boards I'd consider if I decided to go without built-in speakers, the value and sheer power is pretty unbeatable. And, being a Yamaha, it probably will have the largest user base out there, which means more 3d party sounds, which means I wouldn't have to go to far into the deep end!

N4dr0j, are you using the John Melas librarian/editor/sample manager program? Well worth the money if you're really digging deep, it's super well done, had it when I had my XS7.

For the record on Kronos voice structure:

- HD1 rompler is 8 multisamples × 2 OSC

- AL1 (VA synth) is 2 OSC x 2 instances

- MOD7 (FM synth) is 8 operator,

-- waveshaping

-- all DX7 algorithms

-- freely routable

Further, each program is actually a double program. You can combine either 2 rompler engines, or mix and match any of the synth engines. Also includes a drum track.

Combinations have 16 programs + 2 audio IN + 2 USB in.

12 freely routable Insert FX

2 Master FX (send/return)

2 Total FX (multi band compressor, etc)

Songs/sequences add 8 tracks audio to the Combination structure.

Kronos, like Integra, has full MIDI multimode implementation. Any of 16 programs can be assigned to any MIDI channel, allowing splits/layers/note ranges. Kronos as master controller can transmit on any of those 16 zones.

I better stop now, I love tech features. I could write a manual on this. (And practically did for the Alesis Fusion.=)