Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2980039 - 03/13/19 09:08 PM Audition
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Some of you may recall that after parting ways with a very good band because of excessive stage volume and some tinnitus that didn’t go away that I had started a jump blues, Louis Jordan-style project. Pretty quickly found a bass, drums, sax and trumpet and got to work rehearsing.

At this point in my life, I’m not playing with heavy-handed drummers or loud guitarists who play over everyone else. And I’m going to play tunes I like with like-minded musicians.

The trumpet player not only produces the horn arrangements but has also taken the lead on finding some gigs. A couple of folks from a local dance club came by rehearsal tonight and I think it went quite well. Their group has monthly dances at a ballroom downtown, has their own sound system and seemed to like what they heard. We already have enough material to do their three hour gig, but just have to make sure to give them a steady stream of danceable numbers.

Here’s a list of what we have ready or nearly so. Not all of these work for this sort of gig (“A Night In Tunisia” with its tempo changes, for example), but I think we can easily make it work by adding some standard dance numbers such as “Satin Doll”, “All Of Me”, “Moonglow”, etc. As I’m somewhat reluctantly the only vocal lead, the more instrumentals the better.

A Night In Tunisia*
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens
Ain't Nobody's Business
Angel Eyes*
Basin Street Blues
Caldonia
Choo Choo Ch'boogie
Confessin' The Blues
Don't Get Around Much Anymore
Drown In My Own Tears
Every Day I Have The Blues
Five Guys Named My Moe
Freddie The Freeloader*
Good Morning Judge
Good Rockin' Tonight
House Of Blue Lights
I Wanna Be Like You
I Wanna Be Seduced
In A Mellow Tone*
Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby
Jack You're Dead
Jumpin’ At The Woodside*
Jumpin’ The Blues*
Jumpin' With Symphony Sid
Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody
Killer Joe*
Knock Me A Kiss
Minnie The Moocher
Moanin’*
Night Train*
Old Devil Moon*
Riot In Cell Block #9
Rock That Boogie
Rocket 88
Route 66
Saint James Infirmary
Saint Louis Blues*
Scotch And Soda*
Stolen Moments*
Sweet Georgia Brown*
This Joint Is Jumpin'
Tuxedo Junction

*Instrumental
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

KC Island
#2980042 - 03/13/19 10:08 PM Re: Audition [Re: misterdregs]
Ledbetter Offline

Loc: California
Don’t blame you. It’s very difficult to find players here who will play at reasonable volumes. I left my last band when they started to lose small venue gigs (90% of our business) because of volume issues. Two guitarists, one doing sound, and they would use the same amps and PA setup regardless of the size of the venue. Also, six guitars on stage in display racks every gig.

Your list looks great, best of luck. I’m playing with some new players for the first time tomorrow, so good luck to me as well.

#2980054 - 03/14/19 03:17 AM Re: Audition [Re: Ledbetter]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
Great stuff!! Love the song list and the approach.

I hope you are as successful as you want to be.

Saturday Night Fish Fry would fit very well into this vibe.

#2980056 - 03/14/19 04:13 AM Re: Audition [Re: Rusty Mike]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
I had to switch in-ears for my last gig. It ---ing sucked, I'm seriously thinking about leaving this group. We'll see how it goes on Sunday.

Your list sounds like a lot of fun. Remember to learn Ellington's intro for Satin Doll, with the correct chord voicing.

Thought about adding some Neil Hefti? "Cute" would be a fun instrumental to stick in there.
Roland: VR-09

#2980079 - 03/14/19 08:24 AM Re: Audition [Re: Ledbetter]
LennyTunes Offline

Loc: Live Music Capital ofthe World
Originally Posted By: Ledbetter
Two guitarists,

Aww, heeell no.
I believe I have finally decided that I will join a group that plays 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' and 'Wheels On The Bus' for children gigs as long as the guitarist and drummer know how to control their volume.

#2980102 - 03/14/19 10:14 AM Re: Audition [Re: WesG]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: WesG
Your list sounds like a lot of fun. Remember to learn Ellington's intro for Satin Doll, with the correct chord voicing.

Found an arrangement that has that intro. Most sheet music has something else. But that is really nice. Very simple, but catchy with the third voiced at the bottom.

https://musescore.com/user/1028376/scores/3165136

Edited by misterdregs (03/14/19 12:53 PM)
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2980149 - 03/14/19 04:24 PM Re: Audition [Re: misterdregs]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
I've been playing this intro wrong my whole life! Ha. Thanks for that link. I do have to nitpick a litttle – I wouldn't have notated the 2nd and 4th bars like that, with rests that cross beat boundaries. Not very intuitive to read, for me anyway. And on the recording I heard of Duke doing this, he does not play the first chord of bar 2 short - it's like the first bar (a dotted quarter).

#2980156 - 03/14/19 05:19 PM Re: Audition [Re: Reezekeys]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
I've been playing this intro wrong my whole life! Ha. Thanks for that link. I do have to nitpick a litttle – I wouldn't have notated the 2nd and 4th bars like that, with rests that cross beat boundaries. Not very intuitive to read, for me anyway. And on the recording I heard of Duke doing this, he does not play the first chord of bar 2 short - it's like the first bar (a dotted quarter).

I hear you. When playing this solo piano, I just took the last four bars (“speaks Latin, my satin doll”) as an intro. As my reading skills have steadily deteriorated since stopping classical lessons 40+ years ago, I can’t comment on the accuracy of the notation. But I’ll use it to get the chord voicing right.

In a recent thread I asked for (and got) help with a chord voicing. So I’m not much for reading OR figuring out chords. My fingering and other technical elements would bring my former teachers to tears. I’m not much for playing in keys with lots of black keys. I’m not sure what I AM good at.

It’s a wonder I get to play in public at all!
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2980170 - 03/14/19 08:53 PM Re: Audition [Re: Ledbetter]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: Ledbetter
Don’t blame you. It’s very difficult to find players here who will play at reasonable volumes. I left my last band when they started to lose small venue gigs (90% of our business) because of volume issues. Two guitarists, one doing sound, and they would use the same amps and PA setup regardless of the size of the venue. Also, six guitars on stage in display racks every gig.

Your list looks great, best of luck. I’m playing with some new players for the first time tomorrow, so good luck to me as well.
if they were trainable you could have taught them that their amps and PA have volume knobs that allow adjustment for venue size.

I confess i haven’t played a gig where we had to bring a PA in about 3 yrs. in the band i play with most often, the lone guitarist doesn’t even bring an amp - she runs straight DI into a amp sim. I get exactly how much guitar as I want in my monitor on the other side of stage. Which is a bit more than some here, i suspect, cuz she shreds it smile

#2980174 - 03/14/19 09:25 PM Re: Audition [Re: MotiDave]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
misterdregs - re Satin Doll - that's almost right, except it looks like it's in the wrong key (should be in F?) in F and missing the grace note. And the rhythm is not quite right...should be like 1 2& 3 , 1 2&, 1 2& 3, 1 2&

I think I have the Nestico chart around here, I'll try and dig it up and post the intro for you. I really do dig that lick, and it's never in the fake books. One of the great things about playing big band!
Roland: VR-09

#2980189 - 03/15/19 03:43 AM Re: Audition [Re: WesG]
samuelblupowitz Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY
I played one or two gigs with my old solo project with piano, bass, drums, and horn section. It’s a really fun texture — much of the freedom of playing in a trio but with a bunch of extra color and weight. Plus some other people to take solos!

I do have a soft spot for Night in Tunisia, which I remember learning very early on my middle school jazz band life. When I was 14, the shift from Latin to swing just blew my mind.

So this sounds like fun! Good luck.

#2980273 - 03/15/19 03:44 PM Re: Audition [Re: WesG]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

misterdregs - re Satin Doll - that's almost right, except it looks like it's in the wrong key (should be in F?)

The key is correct if you're playing it in C (starting the melody on Dm7). I'm just going to listen a few more times to this from the man himself to get the rhythm down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrytKuC3Z_o

Love the look on his face as he starts the tune!
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2980276 - 03/15/19 03:48 PM Re: Audition [Re: misterdregs]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: misterdregs
misterdregs - re Satin Doll - that's almost right, except it looks like it's in the wrong key (should be in F?)

The key is correct if you're playing it in C (starting the melody on Dm7). I'm just going to listen a few more times to this from the man himself to get the rhythm down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrytKuC3Z_o

Love the look on his face as he starts the tune!

Interesting interplay between the piano and bass. I've never found a solo melodic line that I was very happy with on this song so I may have to borrow/steal this as well!
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2980279 - 03/15/19 04:07 PM Re: Audition [Re: misterdregs]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

Blue Light Boogie is one of my fave Louis Jordan tunes. You could add it to your list, but it's another vocal, although easy on the ears and vocal cords. It makes for a nice slow dance but with a groove.

#2980280 - 03/15/19 04:19 PM Re: Audition [Re: El Lobo]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

I've been asked to join a band. The drummer describes it as "not guns ablazing rock 'n' roll." Music to my ears.

#2980282 - 03/15/19 04:57 PM Re: Audition [Re: El Lobo]
Mjazz Offline

Loc: CA US
Closer, I think ...

#2980283 - 03/15/19 05:04 PM Re: Audition [Re: Mjazz]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Mjazz
Closer, I think ...

Exactly. He comes in just before the one.

Thanks!
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2980284 - 03/15/19 05:05 PM Re: Audition [Re: El Lobo]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
Blue Light Boogie is one of my fave Louis Jordan tunes. You could add it to your list, but it's another vocal, although easy on the ears and vocal cords. It makes for a nice slow dance but with a groove.

Good tune.

Thanks.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2980285 - 03/15/19 05:06 PM Re: Audition [Re: Mjazz]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

Don't have anything to contribute to the thread overall, just wanted to say that I've always been a fool for A Night In Tunisia. Gawd, I love that tune. Doesn't get played nearly enough in my estimation.

Grey

#2980287 - 03/15/19 05:16 PM Re: Audition [Re: El Lobo]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
I've been asked to join a band. The drummer describes it as "not guns ablazing rock 'n' roll." Music to my ears.

Absolutely! I can’t tell you how much fun we’ve had putting this together.

At this point in life (60), I’m not going to put up with overly loud guitarists and drummers or being an afterthought in a I-IV-V blues band or trying to replicate a horn section and not playing actual keyboard parts.

While I expect to make enough money playing music to cash-flow my occasional new toy purchase, I do this for the enjoyment I get from playing music I like with folks I like spending time with.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2980288 - 03/15/19 05:27 PM Re: Audition [Re: GRollins]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: GRollins
Don't have anything to contribute to the thread overall, just wanted to say that I've always been a fool for A Night In Tunisia. Gawd, I love that tune. Doesn't get played nearly enough in my estimation.

Grey

This is one I really wanted to do because it’s hard (for me at least) to play solo on piano. You really need the bass, rhythm chords and melody all at once and I run out of fingers.

That’s also why “Killer Joe” is on the list. Gives me goose bumps when we play it.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2980289 - 03/15/19 05:40 PM Re: Audition [Re: misterdregs]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

One other fun thing we’re working on is adding me on baritone horn (my high school band instrument) on a couple of tunes. The trumpet player arranged a trumpet-sax-baritone intro and ending for “Minnie The Moocher”. I switch to piano and vocal for the rest of the song. It’s a really nice sound. I bought a very nice Bach upright bell horn on eBay years ago and have been working on getting at least enough lip back to pull it off.

And I’ve suggested a Dixieland chorus or two on “Basin Street Blues”.

It doesn’t have to be virtuoso on my part and it’s a nice break and a really good visual!

Edited by misterdregs (03/15/19 07:20 PM)
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2980295 - 03/15/19 07:12 PM Re: Audition [Re: misterdregs]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
......“Moonglow”, etc.

thu keys

#2980296 - 03/15/19 07:22 PM Re: Audition [Re: Moonglow]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Moonglow
......“Moonglow”, etc.

thu keys

Nice tune. One of those that is just fun to improvise over.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2980297 - 03/15/19 07:23 PM Re: Audition [Re: Moonglow]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
This sounds like a super-cool project. I wasn't all that familiar with the genre, but I'm enjoying listening to your set list.

I will say this -- it's entertaining, and you won't be playing the same songs as every other band in town. This concept could certainly work for my newly discovered wealthy retiree country club crowd.

Maybe someday?

As I've mentioned previously, I'm having a blast with my acoustic trio. Me on keys, a very talented female vocalist, and a male vocalist harmonizing and playing acoustic guitar.

We're turning down gigs and upping our price. Seems that everyone wants to have a classy get-together with tasty acoustic music -- either as wallpaper, or as the focal point.

I love everything about this gig.

At some point, you get weary of electric instrument warfare. I mean, I can shred decently and have plenty of volume and tone if needed. I have tamed more than one loud guitarist with ample watts.

Just not my thing anymore.

Keys: NP2, NS3C
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC K.2s, EVOX J8, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 18

#2980302 - 03/15/19 09:27 PM Re: Audition [Re: cphollis]
misterdregs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: cphollis
This sounds like a super-cool project. I wasn't all that familiar with the genre, but I'm enjoying listening to your set list.

I will say this -- it's entertaining, and you won't be playing the same songs as every other band in town. This concept could certainly work for my newly discovered wealthy retiree country club crowd.

Maybe someday?

As I've mentioned previously, I'm having a blast with my acoustic trio. Me on keys, a very talented female vocalist, and a male vocalist harmonizing and playing acoustic guitar.

We're turning down gigs and upping our price. Seems that everyone wants to have a classy get-together with tasty acoustic music -- either as wallpaper, or as the focal point.

I love everything about this gig.

At some point, you get weary of electric instrument warfare. I mean, I can shred decently and have plenty of volume and tone if needed. I have tamed more than one loud guitarist with ample watts.

Just not my thing anymore.

If I recall, it was your comment on my first post that made me think this project could be economically viable. The trumpet player/arranger has contacted a bunch of retirement places. But there seem to be fewer places here that cater to the active, healthy retired demographic. Apparently they have all moved to Florida and Arizona.

But this group of guys isn’t looking to play more than once a month or so. We may still find some retirement community, country club, dance club circuit accommodation that works.

But we have been having a lot of fun rehearsing and having a beer or two.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner