Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2980206 - 03/15/19 06:50 AM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: MotiDave]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: MotiDave
If i respected my privacy and individual rights more, i would probably take exception to FBs business mode and practices. My wife hates it and talks about their practices a lot. I just dont care. Google is far worse imo.

Scary big ass companies there. They are total stalkers, you cant look at a DI box on the web without getting ads for DIs for the next 2 weeks, which is until it decides you were looking at something else and you get ads for that. My wife is certain it listens to what she is saying just in conversation (with phone off). She said shell talk to a friend about new towels and the next day shes getting bombarded by ads for towels.

FB sells your info, thats creepy. IDGAF, but im Pretty sure I should ... their ability to manipulate the world is getting to be troubling ...

I think more like your wife, possibly.

FB , per there folks on top, have played fast and loose with personal data, and have been inconsistent, talk nice, when called on the carpet. There have been several reports about their business practices, as they have a huge trove of personal data to manipulate and market to any party around the world, for any purpose.

As such, I refuse to support FB. Even though its easy utility. Its hard for some
to justify using FB when you review their business practices.

Not trying to change anyone's use of FB. There is always room for a few positions on something like FB usage.

KC Island
#2980237 - 03/15/19 11:30 AM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: Outkaster]
Sam CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Once you're on the internet, if FB doesn't sell your info someone else will.

#2980239 - 03/15/19 11:37 AM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: Sam CA]
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Florida
I have a very dim view of FB and all social media--I think it is a "net negative" for society and certainly it didn't help my stress levels. I won't reward that company (or others if they engage in similar practices) for being irresponsible with "news" and privacy issues. I ditched it just like I ditched cable "news" and I've honestly felt a lot better personally without that need to "check in" all the time. Social media is like junk food for the mind--they engineer their products to get you hooked on something unhealthy (IMO). Their vested interests are for everyone to keep gobbling down their crap, so they certainly aren't going to do the "right thing" unless forced to.

That said, whatever floats your boat, I don't bother others about it. I'd probably still be on it despite my dislike for it if I had a business to promote.

Edited by Stokely (03/15/19 11:39 AM)

#2980240 - 03/15/19 11:39 AM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: Sam CA]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Sam CA

That's just it.

noblevibes.com

#2980264 - 03/15/19 02:37 PM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: Outkaster]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Originally Posted By: Outkaster
Originally Posted By: Sam CA

That's just it.

In case folks haven't noticed, the world is burning and fire extinguishers have been extinct for a long, long time.

#2980268 - 03/15/19 03:06 PM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: Stokely]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Stokely
I have a very dim view of FB and all social media--I think it is a "net negative" for society and certainly it didn't help my stress levels. I won't reward that company (or others if they engage in similar practices) for being irresponsible with "news" and privacy issues. I ditched it just like I ditched cable "news" and I've honestly felt a lot better personally without that need to "check in" all the time. Social media is like junk food for the mind--they engineer their products to get you hooked on something unhealthy (IMO). Their vested interests are for everyone to keep gobbling down their crap, so they certainly aren't going to do the "right thing" unless forced to.

That is well said and reasoned. Some of us have options and can take a firm stand when a popular and very large site engages in questionable behavior.

But if folks are trying to make a living and derive important value from the site, that's completely their call. I do think there are other options but it would a fair amount of effort - thats where the rubber hits the road.

I think motivation is connected with decisions we make. Or not make.

#2980307 - 03/15/19 11:52 PM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: Outkaster]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA

#2980328 - 03/16/19 07:15 AM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: zephonic]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Social media and tech companies "have a content-moderation problem that is fundamentally beyond the scale that they know how to deal with," said Becca Lewis, a researcher at Stanford University and the think tank Data & Society.

"The financial incentives are in play to keep content first and monetization first."

#2980330 - 03/16/19 07:38 AM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: GregC]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: GregC
Social media and tech companies "have a content-moderation problem that is fundamentally beyond the scale that they know how to deal with," said Becca Lewis, a researcher at Stanford University and the think tank Data & Society.

"The financial incentives are in play to keep content first and monetization first."

Maybe recent events in Christchurch NZ might force FB to find a solution as to how they moderate their content.

#2980331 - 03/16/19 07:43 AM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: Markay]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Markay

Maybe recent events in Christchurch NZ might force FB to find a solution as to how they moderate their content.

I think cos like FB will have to be forced into having upfront business controls. I believe our cousins in the UK, Europe are seriously looking at measures to motivate the co's.

#2980334 - 03/16/19 08:09 AM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: GregC]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Well Youtube and FB have developed sophisticated algorithms to detect and prevent the publication of copyrighted music so they must be able to get these coders to do the same for this type of content.

Somethings not right when it is easier to live stream mass murder than it is to live stream a performance of a cover of a Supertramp song.

#2980342 - 03/16/19 09:24 AM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: Markay]
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Florida
As long as moderation interferes with money-making, it's kind of naive to think it's going to be effective. And it will interfere. And in any case, when there is a demand there will always be a supply (ask the DEA). As long as the public is addicted to instant information and ability to broadcast their every thought to the world some site or product will make it happen. I think it sucks but that horse ain't going back into the barn....best I can do is stay out of it personally, and hope I don't get affected by some of the results (anti-vax, people checking phones in cars etc).

Edited by Stokely (03/16/19 09:25 AM)

#2980345 - 03/16/19 09:54 AM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: Markay]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Well Youtube and FB have developed sophisticated algorithms to detect and prevent the publication of copyrighted music so they must be able to get these coders to do the same for this type of content.

Somethings not right when it is easier to live stream mass murder than it is to live stream a performance of a cover of a Supertramp song.

Well said.

#2980359 - 03/16/19 12:25 PM Re: OT Facebook Seems Broken Today [Re: Markay]
Mighty Motif Max Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.

Yeah, their AI sucks. Locked me out of my account once for sharing a post about a lost dog. crazy When it needs to work it doesn't, and when it is working it's flagging stuff that doesn't need to be flagged.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner