Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best piano action + speakers in a digital keyboard?

apologies if this has been discussed before but the search function is not very robust. My grandson is interested in learning piano. I would like to get him a digital (electronic) piano that has the most piano-like action but also has built-in speakers. This forum has been bery bery good to me. I figure you all will have the best recommendations.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the soon to be realeased Casio S3000 promises this for not too much money. I haven't heard /played one yet but it won Best In Show in the "Gotta Stock IT" catagory. Plenty of people on this forum played it at NAMM and I believe Jazz+ has one on preorder. Shipping in May, don't know what is your time frame. I'm sure there will be plenty more options to come.
:nopity:

Yeah, budget matters. Not to me so much, but to his parents who won't want me spending 10 grand. Let's put budget at less than $500.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

$399 MAP gets you the PX 160. Many vendors are selling packages with bench, CS-67 stand and SP-33 pedal for under $600. I would think the parents would probably like a package that makes it seem a little more house friendly than just a slab.

Until the PX S1000/3000 hits, it's hard to tell where prices on the older Privia models will land.

PX 160 is a good choice for beginning student. The action is very good for the price. The speakers are not so great.

In the same price range is the Yamaha P71. I've never played but in general, I prefer the action on the cheaper Privias to the cheaper Yamahas. Once the price goes up, I prefer the Yamahas for action and sound.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

Thank you all for your comments. Looks like it's between the PX-160 and the PX-S1000. I could go as high as $600 or more, but his parents wouldn't want me spending much more than that. I'd want him to start off on something that is most like playing an acoustic piano, so we could go there somewhere down the road if he gets into it. He plays viola in the 5th grade orchestra now. You gotta know that grampa wants him to be as much into playing music as he wants to be. But I don't want to push.

Apart from the casios, you have Roland FP30. Yamaha P45 or P125. Kawai ES110. Korg B1.

If it will be a home-only keyboard, the parents may want/like a console model that's not too offending on the eyes as a slab keyboard on an x-stand.

Yamaha's entry level console, the YDP-143, is very close to your budget, looks great and has more than decent action and speakers for a beginner.

If you stretch it to a YDP-163, you are getting in Clavinova territory quality-wise.

Looks like it's between the PX-160 and the PX-S1000.

Between those two, "best piano action + speakers" should be the latter. I think the only reason to pick the former is lower price (at which point you could also consider their CDP-S100 and CDP-S350).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Of course, if the neighbors are not complaining, for 500$ you can find a very decent used upright
Y'know, I thought about that. My business partner sort of collects pianos. We have a nice upright in our office, he has a grand at home, and he is always haunting craigslist for bargains, just as a hobby. The pianos he has he got in trade for lesser pianos. One thing I learned is that often people are giving away pianos for free if you'll just move them. Then there are people who think their pianos are worth a lot of money ... except nobody wants them. I'm sure if I put my business partner to work, he could find a decent upright locally for $500 as long as I pay for piano movers.

An upright is certainly the better choice, but do not forget about the cost for regular tuning.
Yes, I've thought about that. I really think an upright is my preferred choice. I have to see what grandson and his parents think.

Business partner found a Chickering 6'6" Grand for $1950 locally. He says the parents would need to move out of the house to make room, but they probably dont have their priorities straight so he'll look for something smaller.

Since the Casios are not yet available....

I was highly impressed with the acoustic piano sound of the Roland FP 30.

I was wondering why I liked it so much, and I have come to find out that it uses the Supernatural sound engine.

This thing seemed to be voiced very well. In other words the tones seem nicely balanced....I listened through AKG 240 phones and I thought - this piano sample is among the nicest in the store.

The key feel is not my favorite but it is a little more forgiving than the Yamaha. The Roland keys feel kind of "loose", but perhaps play a bit more easily than the Yamaha.

Speaking of Yamaha ...the P 125 being offered for 599 dollars sounds nowhere near as sweet as this Roland IMO of course.

The Roland speakers are also relatively strong.

So , bang for the buck the Roland FP30 seems to me to have the advantage sound wise of anything under 1000 dollars that I have come across.

FP-30 price lists at $699.00 but can be had for approx.

$525.00- 600.00 if you shop.

Yeah, budget matters. Not to me so much, but to his parents who won't want me spending 10 grand. Let's put budget at less than $500.

just saw this. Don't know about "best", but it's at budget and includes stand and triple pedal, which will add about $200 or more to any keyboard sold without them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1SPBK--korg-b1sp-digital-piano-package-black

:nopity:

just saw this. Don't know about "best", but it's at budget and includes stand and triple pedal, which will add about $200 or more to any keyboard sold without them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1SPBK--korg-b1sp-digital-piano-package-black

Thanks for that. That just might be the thing that helps the parents over the line.

... unless I can find a good upright for $500 (unlikely)

Don't ignore some of the older Casio models, which may actually provide more versatility than newer models. (Assuming you don't mind buying a lightly used keyboard).

The newer Casio models no longer offer the older MIDI-out connectors. I own a Casio CDP-100 and MIDI it to an Alesis NanoPiano, which provides many more sounds than the five built-in sounds of the Casio. Granted, using a MIDI sound module doesn't leverage the internal speakers of the Casio.

BTW, I'm not a concert pianist, I'm a Hammond player who also likes to noodle around on piano. For my needs, the above setup is excellent.

Lou

• 3 weeks later...