Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2979705 - 03/11/19 12:42 PM MIDI IN metronome software
Rev_02 Offline

Hi all, I will be playing by myself on stage, to a midi drum track that is a medley of different songs and therefore tempos, so I was looking for a piece of software that could take the midi clock out of my keyboard and generate a click, which would be helpful when changing tempo. I am unable to find a piece of software that would run on windows, although Linux is possible, with k-metronome, I would rather not. My only other solution is to record the tempo changes into a DAW and synchronize playback but that sounds really messy to me.

KC Island
#2979706 - 03/11/19 12:51 PM Re: MIDI IN metronome software [Re: Rev_02]
Mighty Motif Max Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Rev_02
Hi all, I will be playing by myself on stage, to a midi drum track that is a medley of different songs and therefore tempos...My only other solution is to record the tempo changes into a DAW and synchronize playback but that sounds really messy to me.

I'm sure others here can weigh in on this. But that said, your second option is what I'd probably do (that's what I do live). For one, I would think that if you miss a beat, for example, wouldn't it mess up the drum track if it's sensing your midi input?

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2979711 - 03/11/19 01:33 PM Re: MIDI IN metronome software [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
Rev_02 Offline

The midi file is playing from the keyboard, so that is generating a clock signal. I just need something else to play a click into my headphone mix, as the metronome on the keyboard would come out of the PA. I think I might end up using hydrogen drum machine running off the midi clock, but I'll see where that gets me.

#2979773 - 03/11/19 10:54 PM Re: MIDI IN metronome software [Re: Rev_02]
Mighty Motif Max Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
Ok, that makes more sense. Never tried that successfully manually, so hopefully someone here can help you out. thu

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2979777 - 03/12/19 12:00 AM Re: MIDI IN metronome software [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
mcpepe Offline

Loc: Spain
I dont know the answer, but I have been sometime thinking about it, to do something similar.
I thought about using a metronome with built in MIDI, like this:
https://www.thomann.de/es/boss_db90.htm

But, for this price, a simple drum machine maybe even cheaper:
https://www.thomann.de/es/korg_volca_beats.htm

#2979824 - 03/12/19 08:36 AM Re: MIDI IN metronome software [Re: mcpepe]
Adam Burgess Offline

Iíve used an old Alexis SR drum machine before... small and very light. Nothing super but always did the job.

#2979829 - 03/12/19 08:49 AM Re: MIDI IN metronome software [Re: Rev_02]
Garubi Offline

Loc: Italy
I'm sure you have already checked, but I'll ask anyway: Are you sure that your keyboard doesn't have the option to route the metronome click to a secondary output, aren't you?

#2979992 - 03/13/19 01:27 PM Re: MIDI IN metronome software [Re: Rev_02]
Zalman Stern Offline

I'd probably look at recording the click track you want to a different MIDI channel and then running the MIDI out into some sort of drum machine or other device that responds on that channel. Not really my area of expertise, but I'd expect MIDI playback on a keyboard to be able to do this while not responding to everything recorded in the MIDI track. It does require augmenting the MIDI track appropriately, but it is guaranteed to be synced, and gives a lot of freedom in what you put in to listen to.

I don't think automatically synthesizing patterns off the tempo clock is so much a thing, but like I say, really not my area of expertise. Even if it is done, it will be fairly limited in what it can do as there isn't much information there to start with.

-Z-

#2980134 - 03/14/19 02:46 PM Re: MIDI IN metronome software [Re: Zalman Stern]
Rev_02 Offline

HI sorry for the late reply, no, sadly my keyboard does not have the capability to split the metronome over a different output sadly. What I have taken to doing, is to run simultaneous midi tracks on the kbd and Anvil Studio, and have the anvil studio track triggered by the start button on the keyboard. Then I just run the metronome straight from anvil. Simple right?

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner