Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2979544 - 03/10/19 09:08 AM Go Now (Moody Blues Tribute band)
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Last night I saw one of the best bit of musical craftsmanship that I have seen in many a year. The musicians were stellar in their craftsmanship. One of the best guitarists Nick Kendall that I have ever seen in any band anywhere. The drummer Gordy Marshall actually played in the Moody Blues band for 25 years, The Lead singer Mick Wilson was the lead singer in the 10 CC Band for many years. Not only were the tunes spot on but the band was surprisingly excellent. The bass player is Patrick Duffin, and they had a fill in keyboard guy that was super excellent. They are all British except the guitarist and keys man. The guitarist comes from South Africa. The keys guy is USA American. Stunningly excellent..........

http://www.gonowmusic.com/
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

GP Island
#2979549 - 03/10/19 10:06 AM Re: Go Now (Moody Blues Tribute band) [Re: desertbluesman]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
9 dates in AZ , thats impressive.

Is it fair to say the demographic supports music and bands of the 60's/70's ?

#2979569 - 03/10/19 11:29 AM Re: Go Now (Moody Blues Tribute band) [Re: GregC]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Sounds cool DBM! The Moody Blues were very cool along with the CCR tribute band that you saw last time. +1 GregC, I can see a 60's/70's demographic happening with many of the tribute bands these days. cool

#2979573 - 03/10/19 12:23 PM Re: Go Now (Moody Blues Tribute band) [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Yes, you guys in the Phoenix area get the great bands.

#2979614 - 03/10/19 06:30 PM Re: Go Now (Moody Blues Tribute band) [Re: GregC]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: GregC
9 dates in AZ , thats impressive.
Is it fair to say the demographic supports music and bands of the 60's/70's ?

All grey haired folks in the area, nothing to do some nights, so they import tribute bands into the seniors communities, and don't forget those from the 50's/60/s are all old goats like me.

cheers

#2979624 - 03/10/19 07:48 PM Re: Go Now (Moody Blues Tribute band) [Re: desertbluesman]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
There's no shortage of great tribute bands around. Living in senior orientated Florida, we get some good talent coming through. See my earlier Cream post. I think it speaks for the quality of the music that we listened to in the 60s and 70s. Those were two great decades of creative music.

#2979671 - 03/11/19 08:48 AM Re: Go Now (Moody Blues Tribute band) [Re: Delta]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Delta
I think it speaks for the quality of the music that we listened to in the 60s and 70s. Those were two great decades of creative music.

Yep

#2979673 - 03/11/19 08:51 AM Re: Go Now (Moody Blues Tribute band) [Re: Delta]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
There's no shortage of great tribute bands around. Living in senior orientated Florida, we get some good talent coming through. See my earlier Cream post. I think it speaks for the quality of the music that we listened to in the 60s and 70s. Those were two great decades of creative music.

Absolutely. 60/70's were the 2 pivotal decades for creativity in music/song writing. We were lucky to see many great musicians perform and record.

Jazz fusion also had a good run in the 80's/90's .

I am a little familiar with the band scene in FL and that tribute bands can find an audience.

#2979674 - 03/11/19 09:03 AM Re: Go Now (Moody Blues Tribute band) [Re: Delta]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I think it speaks for the quality of the music that we listened to in the 60s and 70s.

There's something to what you say, Delta, but I still wonder at the phenomena (which, to be honest, predates our current era).... & I suspect it speaks more to the retirement of what was the largest single generation of consumers in our society.

There have long been acts that seek to either honor or benefit from the recreation of artists who're no longer available (in the rock era this prolly got it's initiation w/Randy Hansen).
& it's cool sometimes to be reminded of a great artist by another great artist.

Originally Posted By: GregC
60/70's were the 2 pivotal decades for creativity in music/song writing. We were lucky to see many great musicians perform and record.

Hmm, kinda a narrow window there, innit ?

What I can't understand is the greater than ever before, uh, almost worship of only old music instead of openness to new performers or even just re-experiencing the original.
We live in a time when almost everything created for the last 100 years is available in audio & even visual recordings.
Why watch a simulation of (The) Beatles, no matter how, skillfully done, when (The) Real Thing's available ?

All too often this seems to be a way for uncreative ppl to profit off the work of those who did create.
I find it to be somewhat a hindrance to new artists &, in fact, more a dismissal of the new than a reverence for the old.

If that's what appeals to someone, OK but I think they may be missing out on some great stuff here & now.
Just, y'know, sayin'.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose