Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2979272 - 03/08/19 09:10 AM Here you go, think you can play bass.
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

GP Island
#2979274 - 03/08/19 09:46 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: desertbluesman]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yes, I CAN play bass. Just a bit differently from her. No doubt, she's good - and then some.

#2979282 - 03/08/19 10:27 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: Danzilla]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Yeah, she kills it.

I love the bass esp with drums.

The rhythm section is huge with almost all my originals. I play bass on keys, and my bass
parts are noting flashy- they fit the tune- thats their job.

One thing for sure, without solid bass + drums, my originals would completely suck.

My bass part on my " Going Places"
is somewhat atypical:
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/going-places

#2979284 - 03/08/19 10:28 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: GregC]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Wow!!!

#2979302 - 03/08/19 12:32 PM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
She does a great job...and I'm all about that bass, 'bout that bass no treble...

Here's some 4 handed bass playing and a great dedication to the bass tune:

cool

#2979324 - 03/08/19 01:58 PM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: Larryz]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
She's a facile & fast player but while that's a legit approach (esp if yer renting a time machine to the mid-1870s) but except for a few seconds at the 5 min & 6:20 marks I didn't hear any place where she actually played in support of the overall music either by backing any other lines than what she played or by playing an independent line that wasn't duplicated melodically or rhythmically by the tracks she played along with.
Nor was there any indication she could play in another style.
What she did was impressive but more flash than substantive musically.

I like all sorts of stuff but the essence of musicality is the ability to hit lots of, uh, bases [ grin ]
& to add to the music in some way.
I didn't hear that happening, even in the other 1/2 doz + other clips by her I audited. idk

There are any number of great female bassists, historically ranging from Carol Kaye forward, but note how those I cite below, seem capable of a wider range of function, even those such as Wilkenfeld Spalding as facile as MD.

Jean Millington

Tina Weymouth who also wrote this track

Tal Wilkenfeld catch her interplay w/ Beck throughout & what she does when he tosses the whole show over to her @ 1:30

Esperanza Spalding (here on both eletric & acoustic basses)

SPECIAL BONUS TRACK FOR DBM
Try imagining Mohini Dey in this context

Edited by d (03/09/19 09:51 AM)

#2979330 - 03/08/19 02:34 PM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: GregC]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: GregC
is somewhat atypical:

Very nice job amigo.

#2979346 - 03/08/19 04:11 PM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: desertbluesman]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
is somewhat atypical:

Very nice job amigo.

Thank you, brother.

I am interested in opinions of the role of bass for original instrumentals.

Yes, it has to fit the song and type of instrumental. But it can be approached a few ways.

It can stand out as a lead which shows Ms Mohini's skill.

With my basic approach, bass fits tightly with the drum pattern, locking into a groove.
Sort of repetitive and solid. I walk the bass around in a 2nd verse, for example , to provide some variety. Still I am playing lots of root notes, 1 5 8 etc.

Once in a great while, I create a simple bass line riff to match up chords.harmony:
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/nobody-really-knowswav

I don't plan to handle Jaco or Jeff Berlin parts. Thats out of my league and keys can only go so far.

Edited by GregC (03/08/19 04:17 PM)

#2979355 - 03/08/19 04:52 PM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: GregC]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

With my basic approach, bass fits tightly with the drum pattern, locking into a groove.

I don't plan to handle Jaco or Jeff Berlin parts. Thats out of my league and keys can only go so far.

I am a big fan of the bass players and drummers. The drums are the engine of the band and the bass is the transmission, without either of those two the band don't go.

#2979358 - 03/08/19 05:27 PM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: desertbluesman]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I recall waaaay back in the day, reading some guitarist in an article in GP, who said that Billy Sheehan was unique enough in his style that a band was probably gonna have to be built around him for it to work.

I think that in the time since, Billy has proven that to be wrong. What he has demonstrated is how taste and musicality can take monster chops and use them effectively, without having to use them constantly.

Only time will show if that very talented and obviously hard-working young lady can pull that off. And even if she can't right now, a bit of mileage can often do wonders in terms of maturing a player's approach and attitude.

Has anyone else noticed that when a drummer and bassist are really grooving, the bass is locked in with more than just the bass drum?

#2979380 - 03/08/19 09:08 PM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: desertbluesman]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Woot! Badass chops AND musicality.

Originally Posted By: picker
Has anyone else noticed that when a drummer and bassist are really grooving, the bass is locked in with more than just the bass drum?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
is somewhat atypical:

Very nice job amigo.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: d
She's afcile & fast but while that's a legit approach (esp if yer renting a time machine to the mid-1870s) but except for a few seconds at the 5 min & 6:20 marks I didn't hear any place where she actually played in support of the overall music either by backing any other lines than what she played or by playing an independent line that wasn't duplicated melodically or rhythmically by the tracks she played along with.

Iddunno- I rather liked her playing there, and it's very much in keeping, stylistically, with a llllllo-o-ot of Fusion. Percolating, tight, driving.

There are any number of great female bassists, historically ranging from......

Why on earth should this be limited to comparisons of female bassists, great or otherwise... ? I'm reminded of times when people posted comparisons between Prince and a list of other Black guitarists... rolleyes This should just be about bassists, or even just musicians in general...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2979405 - 03/09/19 04:42 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: picker]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I used to joke(and based mostly on what I've seen that old guy who played bass for Loretta Lynn do) that the easiest gig is playing bass in your average country band. wink

I always thought it was fun to "noodle" around on any of my buddy;s basses, but never thought I did well enough to actually TAKE OVER! shocked

Plus, I respect good musicianship regardless of instrument OR genre.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (03/09/19 04:43 AM)

#2979446 - 03/09/19 10:18 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: whitefang]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Multi-commentary at it's most interactive.
My remarks are in red.

Originally Posted By: picker

That's the way the best bands always work.
Any player responds to the others, shifting in the moment...although there's also value in the discipline of maintaining a part for the others to build on.
It's also true that accents sometime stand out better & have deeper effect when they're not in unison but cast an image of an aural palette.
I once worked w/ a cat who insisted the drummer should always be the best player possible in any band since they were generally tasked w/ supporting everything(one) else

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

She's facile & fast but while that's a legit approach (esp if yer renting a time machine to the mid-1870s) but except for a few seconds at the 5 min & 6:20 marks I didn't hear any place where she actually played in support of the overall music either by backing any other lines than what she played or by playing an independent line that wasn't duplicated melodically or rhythmically by the tracks she played along with.

Iddunno- I rather liked her playing there, and it's very much in keeping, stylistically, with a llllllo-o-ot of Fusion. Percolating, tight, driving.

But she's not really playing any tune (that I know) she's just riffing, & while that's a great exhibition, it does nothing to suggest she does anything else---which I suspect she can but I also couldn't find, though I spent some time looking for !
I also was hoping to find something that suggested more swing than the straight-ahead 1/16ths that dominated.

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

There are any number of great female bassists, historically...

Why on earth should this be limited to comparisons of female bassists, great or otherwise... ? I'm reminded of times when people posted comparisons between Prince and a list of other Black guitarists... rolleyes This should just be about bassists, or even just musicians in general...

True dat, entirely.
I just used a segment of players that also seemed it might be relevant to the idea of a knockout female player...
...as well as the idea that there should be versatility & variable roles demonstrated.
Could've included Bootsy, Thundrcat, Jaco Patorious, Stan The Man Clarke or Phil N. D. Blanque....

#2979487 - 03/09/19 01:59 PM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: d / halfnote]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

BTW, I finally found a clip that shows Mohini D in what I find a more enjoyable context than the extravagant, non-stop riffing I'd heard before.
She still steps out a flashes her stuff rawk but she also lays back to support the other soloists & the ensemble.
Plus she throws some funk down !
Catch what happens 11:45~13:45...but also what she does in other places, both earlier & @ 14:00~19:00.

Thinking of how I can introduce that to Doc's concurrent thread on BGrass... freak...seem weird ?
Take a closer listen !
cool

#2979530 - 03/10/19 05:07 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: d / halfnote]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I figured, since it all started out with a clip of a young lady playing killer bass, AND it's not an instrument typically or often taken up by young ladies, that other examples of women( young OR old) would fill the bill.

And since bass players do have their own forum, the wonder is why this in this forum altogether! idk
Whitefang

#2979553 - 03/10/19 10:15 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: whitefang]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's a big world & the more we spread our horizons the bigger & better our view, uh, maybe.

#2979562 - 03/10/19 11:08 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
And since bass players do have their own forum, the wonder is why this in this forum altogether! idk
Whitefang

We discuss a lot of different issues, instruments and music on this guitar forum. I'm sure many bass players visit other forums as well as this one. I for one welcome the topics, input and participation from both of our multi-talented bass players and keyboard players that participate in our guitar forum and the other two GP forums. I'm glad we've got them and their topics of interest going on here! cool

#2979564 - 03/10/19 11:17 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: whitefang]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
[b
Whitefang

its a cow. No, its a bull. Wait, its a heifer. or is it a steer ?

Such a confusing world smile

#2979570 - 03/10/19 11:50 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: d / halfnote]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi

Jean Millington

Jean Millington suffered a stroke last year. Last I heard she was recovering and planning on going back on tour with her sister, guitarist June Millington. The had just finished a record before her stroke.

[/quote]

Edited by surfergirl (03/10/19 11:53 AM)

#2979588 - 03/10/19 02:44 PM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: surfergirl]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thx for the update, Girl.
Had almost forgotten them til this thread.

#2979645 - 03/11/19 03:41 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: d / halfnote]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I wasn't complaining, just mentioning a fact, so y'all can drop the facebook facade. wink

Sure, we've discussed SOME bass players here over the years, but not to any great extent. But the players mentioned here ARE worth a listen, regardless of which forum it is. And BTW SURFERGIRL----

One of my favorite bassists also suffered a stroke 12 years ago, but I think he's back to playing a bit these days. Not sure though... Plus, he's near 80, so any "recovery" will be slow.

Whitefang

#2979665 - 03/11/19 07:05 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I've never been on Facebook Fang so I have no idea what a "Facebook façade" would be. I was just commenting on your question...I'm more than happy to drop whatever it is and did not think you were complaining. cool

#2979794 - 03/12/19 05:03 AM Re: Here you go, think you can play bass. [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Eh, don't mind me. In one of those moods....

"Facebook facade" is being PC riddled, no poking "good natured" fun of anyone and a general "I love everyone and they should love me too!" attitude. And absolutely, nobody there seems to understand the concept of "constructive criticism". Do THAT and ALL KINDS of folks'll attack you for being "rude" and "mean" and trying to trample on somebody's "rights". rolleyes
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose