Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2979178 - 03/07/19 04:51 PM Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things"
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: UNITED STATES

Jan Hammer may be the most proficient bender I've ever heard, but when it comes to getting the most out of an individual synth note, I gotta give my Man Winwood a shout-out. I love the opening notes to "The Finer Things". His solo in the middle and in the end reminds me of a sax player. What a great synth player...

Any guess what instrument he's using for the leads?

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

KC Island
#2979183 - 03/07/19 05:12 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
Mike Martin Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Naperville, Ilinois

#2979184 - 03/07/19 05:15 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Mike Martin]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Edited by Mike Martin (03/07/19 05:15 PM)

#2979185 - 03/07/19 05:18 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Mike Martin]
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2979186 - 03/07/19 05:23 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Mike Martin]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Mike Martin
Best thread ever on the same topic
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1105282

Hilarious... smile

#2979190 - 03/07/19 05:46 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: Sundown

Any guess what instrument he's using for the leads?

In that vid at 03:41 it looks like a DX7,- but it sounds like his signature MOOG Multimoog leadsound.

Yes, he also used Prophet-5 and other synths/keys, but this sound to my ears is the Multimoog.
He prefered it over the Minimoog because of the early aftertouch called "force sensor" which allowed modulation of OSCs or VCF via the modulation bus and it had OSC sync.

Doesn´t mean he wasn´t able recreating that sound on other instruments later.

A.C.

#2979192 - 03/07/19 05:54 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Coda]
ksoper Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,UNITED STATES
I'm almost positive this is a Multimoog. My memory of the 80s is faulty, but I think he said in an interview it was the Multimoog. It's two synced analog oscillators which narrows things down a bit.

I may be wrong.

#2979196 - 03/07/19 06:12 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: ksoper]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ksoper
I'm almost positive this is a Multimoog. My memory of the 80s is faulty, but I think he said in an interview it was the Multimoog. It's two synced analog oscillators which narrows things down a bit.

I may be wrong.

I added some info above because many, many years ago, I´ve read it in an interview too.
It was about recording his solo albums after he had realized his home studio on his farm.

In the old thread linked above, no one found out what it really was.
In the vid you don´t see/hear what you get,- it´s just only the official vid.

A.C.

#2979259 - 03/08/19 07:39 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Coda]
PianoMan51 Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Cabin In The Woods
Oh man, did anybody notice that the cat doing the Carlton dance is Mark Ledford?

RIP. He made some beautiful music with the PMG.

#2979264 - 03/08/19 08:22 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: PianoMan51]
Phnymiboy Offline

Loc: Miami
Winwood does a beautiful Moog solo on John Martyn's One World album, track Small Hours.

#2979267 - 03/08/19 08:56 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Phnymiboy]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Phnymiboy
Winwood does a beautiful Moog solo on John Martyn's One World album, track Small Hours.

Actually that's a Nord.

#2979277 - 03/08/19 09:52 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects

Actually that's a Nord.

Wiki

Track listing

All tracks composed by John Martyn except where indicated.

1)"Dealer" – 4:58
2)"One World" – 4:10
3)"Smiling Stranger" – 3:29
4)"Big Muff" (Martyn, Lee Perry) – 6:30
5)"Couldn't Love You More" – 3:07
6)"Certain Surprise" – 3:52
7)"Dancing" – 3:43
8)"Small Hours" – 8:45

Personnel

John Martyn - vocals, guitar, harmonica
John Field - flute (2)
Steve Winwood - bass (1), electric piano (2, 6), Moog synthesiser (1, 3, 8), Yamaha organ (5, 8)
Dave Pegg - bass (7)
Neil Murray - bass (3)
Andy Newmark - drums (1)
Morris Pert - percussion (4, 8)
Harry Robinson - string arrangements (3, 6)
Hansford Rowe - bass (2, 4)
Bruce Rowland - drums (6, 7)
Keshav Sathe - tabla (3)
Danny Thompson - bass (5, 6)
John Stevens - drums (3, 4)
George Lee - saxophone (3)
Rico Rodriguez - trombone (6)

A.C.

#2979278 - 03/08/19 10:00 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Coda]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think Wiki got that one wrong. It’s definitely a Nord.

#2979290 - 03/08/19 11:11 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Phnymiboy Offline

Unless you are just having fun with us I don't think there was a Nord in 1977.

#2979293 - 03/08/19 11:23 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Mike Martin]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil

I went through the thread and find an old comment I wrote. I have a vague idea what I was gettin at... confused freak ... but it seems I was being an ass, which seems to be on par with that phase of my life.

I pity the new generation that have their lives recorded in the internet, whether posts, videos, photos, whatever - searchable for years to come.

#2979295 - 03/08/19 11:39 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Phnymiboy]
area51recording Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN

Painfully obvious even to the most casual observer....

#2979308 - 03/08/19 12:43 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: area51recording]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
Winwood was one of the Nord inventors and used low key prototypes of the Nord Lead for decades. It is well documented.

#2979309 - 03/08/19 12:47 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Rod S]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas

Originally Posted By: Rod S

I went through the thread and find an old comment I wrote. I have a vague idea what I was gettin at... confused freak ... but it seems I was being an ass, which seems to be on par with that phase of my life.

I pity the new generation that have their lives recorded in the internet, whether posts, videos, photos, whatever - searchable for years to come.

Please. please. please let's not go back to the days of that most annoying thread.

The nord thing was maybe funny the first one thousand times it was posted in 2002-2003.

If you look at that 17 year old thread closely, you will see it was started and continued by some of the ne'er-do-well trolls from another forum that just closed.

#2979311 - 03/08/19 12:50 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: eric]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: eric
Winwood was one of the Nord inventors and used low key prototypes of the Nord Lead for decades. It is well documented.

The Nord website used to have the story of this song and even had a link to an early recording of it where you could hear Winwood giving feedback to the Nord engineers about how to refine the sound. I don't know why they removed it, it was a really cool bit of music history.

#2979317 - 03/08/19 01:33 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: area51recording]
Piktor Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
In listening to the whole tone pitch bends that Windwood does in the intro, I would venture that this is not a Multimoog. These bends are quick and the intonation sounds spot on, as if the bend range had been set to exactly a whole tone (not a fan). Multimoogs did not have programable bend ranges. The bend range on both of my Multimoogs is a minor 6th, give or take. Yes, Winwood did use the Multi on the Arc of a Diver album, but something about the patch's attack makes me think that I the lead in this video was played with a DX7, as that tone is achievable with FM if one has the programming chops. I did find a video of someone who got close to this sound with an Andromeda, so Winwood could has used an analogue synth too. It doesn't sound like an overly complex patch to me.

#2979332 - 03/08/19 02:41 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Mike Martin]
jerrythek Offline
Platinum Member

True, but...

In it I state: "Mitchell’s column teaches how to do this on a Prophet-5 (real or virtual), as Winwood used one extensively at that time. But reading interviews from that time (like the June ’81 Keyboard), Winwood stated that he used a Multimoog for the solo in “While You See A Chance.” He also told Musician magazine in October 1982, “the Multimoog is where I get the effect that everybody thinks is a saxophone.” That should put to rest any Internet chatter that it was a Minimoog, or even a Yamaha DX7, which he did use later in concert."

So my best bet would be for the Multimoog.

Cheers!

Jerry

P.S. what makes the research hard is what he said in a Musician Magazine interview, but it is from before the Back In The High Life album:

"For the last 2 albums I've used a Multimoog for bass and some lead lines, and a Prophet 5, a polysynthesizer made by Sequential Circuits, for most leads on Arc of a Diver. I also used a Steinway piano and a Yamaha CS-80, too, as well as a host of different guitars: an Ovation acoustic, this 1954 Fender Stratocaster, an Ibanez mandolin on a track of Arc of a Diver.

On this last album, I used the Prophet 5 exclusively, which is very limiting; I would never have dreamed that I would have found myself doing that. I just never found the need for any sound I couldn't get out of the Prophet 5. And the Multimoog is where I get the effect that everybody thinks is a saxophone. In terms of drums, I use a Haman kit, with a Ludwig snare, and a Linn Electronics, LM-1 box. Lastly, I use a Roland Vocoder and an ANS Phaser, model DMT20. By using a 16-track machine, you overcome most limitations on the part of the instruments, in addition to several of one's own shortcomings. And with my new-found wealth, I've already ordered a new 24-track custom board.
"Rock's Gentle Aristocrat"
Musician, October 1982"

So although he states the Prophet is his favorite, and can do "everything" he still credits the Multimoog for that lead sound. Hmmm....

Edited by jerrythek (03/08/19 06:57 PM)

#2979359 - 03/08/19 05:28 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: jerrythek]
Motif88 Offline

Loc: NY
Multi Moog...I owned and read every issue of keyboard magazine from 1977 through now. I distinctly remember it being a multimoog as I struggled to replicate it on my MS20 or Oberheim OB

Sold: Kronos 88,Yamaha:Motif XS8,Motif ES8,Motif 8,KX88,Oberheim:Modular 8 Voice,OBXa,OB8

#2979367 - 03/08/19 06:46 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Motif88]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
People don’t realize the full history of Nord. It actually started way back in the early 1900s led by Bob Nord, and before they had keys they were making guitars and other stringed instruments. They started off with a small shop in Seattle, and using a variation of the popular “strum” style, they put the name together and the rest is history.

#2979379 - 03/08/19 09:03 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Motif88]
Piktor Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
I remember the Keyboard mag Winwood interview well. His discussion about using the Multi stuck with me, because that was the synth that I owned. However, the song in this video came out in 1986, a time when many people were moving on from analogue synths for digital synths. The Multimoog was released in 1978 and the DX7 came out in 1983. Winwood's lead sounds on the Arc of a Diver album (1980) and the Talking Back to the Night Album (1982) are similar, but the lead sound in this video is different. Note, there is clearly another DX7 (ep) in the intro, so you know that the instrument was there. If you listen carefully, Winwood is getting a bit of pop on the some of the attacks/releases. The Multi's envelopes aren't so snappy and I cannot get so close to that sound (without a compressor). Therefore, I'm not changing my vote.

#2979383 - 03/08/19 09:55 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Piktor]
MP Hall of Fame Member

This is all I could find. I remember that later in this article it goes into how he secretly played his prototype for what became the Nord on every recording he did from 1975 (when the first prototypes were brought to him) until whatever time period the article was from.

#2979385 - 03/08/19 10:22 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

This is all I could find. I remember that later in this article it goes into how he secretly played his prototype for what became the Nord on every recording he did from 1975 (when the first prototypes were brought to him) until whatever time period the article was from.

roll roll roll

#2979400 - 03/09/19 03:22 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
nursers Offline
10k Club

Loc: Australia
Love this relatively recent performance of his - amazing how good his voice is as well:

#2979417 - 03/09/19 06:25 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: waygetter]
Synthoid Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: waygetter
People don’t realize the full history of Nord. It actually started way back in the early 1900s led by Bob Nord, and before they had keys they were making guitars and other stringed instruments. They started off with a small shop in Seattle, and using a variation of the popular “strum” style, they put the name together and the rest is history.

The early Nords were quite popular in Russia... sold at Barnes & Chernobyl stores.

#2979424 - 03/09/19 07:15 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Phnymiboy]
xp50player Offline

This is why I come on here, to be sent down a rabbit hole into an artist I have never looked into, but who has worked with some of my favorite artists. On the John Martyn, I have to know what Winwood’s FM-sounding vibes sound is on “ Couldn’t Love You More” E-70, D-80, CP30? It just says “Yamaha organ”.

#2979425 - 03/09/19 07:57 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: xp50player]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: xp50player
This is why I come on here, to be sent down a rabbit hole into an artist I have never looked into, but who has worked with some of my favorite artists.

Be sure to check out not just his solo work, but the things he's really well known for... The Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith. etc. Amazing stuff...

Edited by Sundown (03/09/19 07:58 AM)

#2979440 - 03/09/19 09:28 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
MP Hall of Fame Member

roll roll roll

Did you read it?

#2979472 - 03/09/19 12:10 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
This is why I come on here, to be sent down a rabbit hole into an artist I have never looked into, but who has worked with some of my favorite artists.

Be sure to check out not just his solo work, but the things he's really well known for... The Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith. etc. Amazing stuff...

And also be sure to check out Voodoo Chile from Jimi Hendrix’s Electric Ladyland Album. For me this is one of Steve Winwood’s greatest performances.

#2979478 - 03/09/19 12:45 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Quinn]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Al Quinn

And also be sure to check out Voodoo Chile from Jimi Hendrix’s Electric Ladyland Album. For me this is one of Steve Winwood’s greatest performances.

+1.
A clinic on how a single speed Leslie can be used in rock and roll.
Moe

#2979504 - 03/09/19 04:47 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: davedoerfler]
Music Bird Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I seem to remember also a YC-45D sound used in those songs during the late 70’s. That’s the Yamaha organ mentioned, I don’t think the Nord has a YC Mode. The video sounds like a DX7 emulating the Moog patch. Maybe he has something in a rack though, or he’s using the Multimoog but using the DX live for reliability purposes.

#2979547 - 03/10/19 09:57 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Quinn]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And probably the most iconic use of the earliest proto-Nord.

#2979629 - 03/10/19 09:00 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Josh Paxton]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Josh Paxton

That's right. It's well documented that when Jimi was a kid growing up, he used to frequent the first Nord shop at 4th & Pike in Seattle, it wasn't far from his childhood home.

#2979637 - 03/10/19 11:29 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: waygetter]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Some of you are mixing up fake stories with the real one.

#2979647 - 03/11/19 03:50 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Music Bird Offline

I don’t think anyone had access to Nords at the time, and The Finer Things definitely uses a DX7 in it. Also Higher Love has DX7 as well doing the horns.

#2979659 - 03/11/19 05:55 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
N4dr0j Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Scotland
Some of you are mixing up fake stories with the real one.

roll roll HeadPop

#2979661 - 03/11/19 06:19 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: N4dr0j]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
He used a DX in the video, as that was his stage controller for his Moogs.

#2979677 - 03/11/19 09:24 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
Phnymiboy Offline

Got to see the trio version of Traffic a few times (Fillmore East and in Philly). Simply just pulled music out of the air. Beautiful.

#2979678 - 03/11/19 09:30 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Phnymiboy]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia

Got to see the trio version of Traffic a few times (Fillmore East and in Philly). Simply just pulled music out of the air. Beautiful.

Never saw them in concert, but I own just about every Traffic album on vinyl and listen to them quite often. Some really great music there.

Going back to the original thread topic, "The Finer Things" does have one of the tastiest synth solos I've heard in pop music. I never learned it, but I think it would be great to know as inspiration.

#2979679 - 03/11/19 09:30 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Phnymiboy]
samuelblupowitz Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Thanks for this great Steve Winwood thread, gang!

Older forumites, I’m curious: is that linked thread from 2002 where the running “Nord lead” joke on this forum originated? Or just an aggressive symptom of a disease that has yet to run its course all these years later?

#2979686 - 03/11/19 10:03 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: samuelblupowitz]
Music Bird Offline

I think if he used a Nord, it must’ve been on one of his late 90’s albums. I’m pretty sure the Nord joke would be more accurate in that time period. A lot of people were (and still are) using Nord Leads for kwek and pitch bendy leads. I’m honestly saying back in 1995-1998 you’d hear Nord Kwek and Brass leads everywhere. I’m pretty sure the sounds I hear in some late 90s songs are Nord.
On this one, he’s using a Multimoog or DX7 emulating one.

Edited by Music Bird (03/11/19 10:04 AM)

#2979688 - 03/11/19 10:20 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Music Bird]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Music Bird
I think if he used a Nord, it must’ve been on one of his late 90’s albums. I’m pretty sure the Nord joke would be more accurate in that time period. A lot of people were (and still are) using Nord Leads for kwek and pitch bendy leads. I’m honestly saying back in 1995-1998 you’d hear Nord Kwek and Brass leads everywhere. I’m pretty sure the sounds I hear in some late 90s songs are Nord.
On this one, he’s using a Multimoog or DX7 emulating one.

Did you read the article on the screenshot I posted?

#2979690 - 03/11/19 10:38 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Josh Paxton]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles

On the original vinyl, if you played it backwards you could hear Hendrix intoning "I buried Nord." and later (actually earlier if backwards) "Turn me on red man."

#2979703 - 03/11/19 12:30 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: xp50player]
Music Bird Offline

This is why I come on here, to be sent down a rabbit hole into an artist I have never looked into, but who has worked with some of my favorite artists. On the John Martyn, I have to know what Winwood’s FM-sounding vibes sound is on “ Couldn’t Love You More” E-70, D-80, CP30? It just says “Yamaha organ”.

I think a YC-45D or E70 was used. Some of the more synth-y poly sounds on Track 8 could mean E70. The intro of Small Hours makes me think YC-45D though.

Edited by Music Bird (03/11/19 12:32 PM)

#2979709 - 03/11/19 01:24 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: xp50player]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

If you're just getting into Winwood, check this out (19 years old!):

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2979712 - 03/11/19 01:49 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: mate stubb]
MP Hall of Fame Member

^^^^^^Photoshopped.

#2979720 - 03/11/19 03:17 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Music Bird Offline

Can anyone point out why the Nord joke runs around and where it came from? Pretty sure it isn’t photoshopped. I think they used a Hammond in that song. Nord Electro/Stage sounds too sterile and clean to be a Hammond or Rhodes. And the Nord Lead filters are too quacky and 2-pole sounding to be a Moog, which has fatter sounds. Also, probably 1995, not 1975. In 1975 he would be using a Hammond and Yamaha organ.

Edited by Music Bird (03/11/19 03:21 PM)

#2979727 - 03/11/19 03:53 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Wastrel]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Wastrel

On the original vinyl, if you played it backwards you could hear Hendrix intoning "I buried Nord." and later (actually earlier if backwards) "Turn me on red man."
roll

#2979737 - 03/11/19 05:37 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Joe Muscara]
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK, sorry for the forum-stretch. Here is the original screenshot. Unless someone is claiming that I created this myself, evoking the name and copying the writing style of rock's most famous journalist, laying it out as if it were a real article, manufacturing a pull-quote that uses legitimate British slang to be true to Winwood's roots, and then cropping the whole thing slightly awkwardly so I could claim I found it elsewhere, I think this pretty decisively settles the Winwood/Nord connection.

#2979749 - 03/11/19 06:58 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here is the original screenshot. Unless someone is claiming that I created this myself, evoking the name and copying the writing style of rock's most famous journalist, laying it out as if it were a real article, manufacturing a pull-quote that uses legitimate British slang to be true to Winwood's roots, and then cropping the whole thing slightly awkwardly so I could claim I found it elsewhere,

And clearly no one in their right mind would even entertain such an outlandish notion!

#2979752 - 03/11/19 07:08 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK, sorry for the forum-stretch. Here is the original screenshot. Unless someone is claiming that I created this myself, evoking the name and copying the writing style of rock's most famous journalist, laying it out as if it were a real article, manufacturing a pull-quote that uses legitimate British slang to be true to Winwood's roots, and then cropping the whole thing slightly awkwardly so I could claim I found it elsewhere, I think this pretty decisively settles the Winwood/Nord connection.

I have no doubt he had/has connection to NORD and/or was involved into developement of whatever keyboard related product.
But,- I doubt that happened in 1977/78 or something ...

NORD was founded in 1983 and they didn´t produce any synths,- just "only" drum-computers/ e-drums under the "DDrum" brand.
I really loved their DDrumIII though,- sample-dumped it´s content and vintage card´s content into my AKAI S-1000 at that time ´cause the DDrums used the same converters the AKAI S-series samplers used.
Still have all, the samples as well as the AKAI sampler(s).

Nord Lead was released in 1994/95 and I DOUBT there were any prototypes existing in the late 70s or early 80s at all.

In the OP´s vid you hear the Multimoog but see a DX7.

And yes, it might be possible but is not evident Steve W. re-created the Multimoog patch on a DX7 later,- IF he wasn´t too lazy to do that.

I tell ya,- the real pros making their living from songwriting, recording an touring don´t waste too much time w/ tech stuff !
And they have a vast private life too.

Maybe he found a programmer doing the job for him,- also later on the NORD Lead and even that would have been much easier to achieve compared to a DX7.

So, the relation between Winwood and NORD might have been just only an advertising/endorsement contract being arranged by his managers.
And yeah ... part of those contracts is reporting experience and wishes according the gear to the manufacturer.
But that doesn´t mean the Nord Lead wouldn´t exist w/o Winwood.

A.C.

#2979755 - 03/11/19 07:11 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: mate stubb]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb

If you're just getting into Winwood, check this out (19 years old!):

[video:

I LOVE this vid !!!
Thx for sharing.

That´s Pete York on drums, isn´t it ?

A.C.

#2979757 - 03/11/19 07:23 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Coda]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Al Coda

That´s Pete York on drums, isn´t it ?

He was with SDG until 1969, so I'm betting yes.
Moe

#2979783 - 03/12/19 03:45 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: davedoerfler]
Music Bird Offline

I knew Nord made drum machines/electronic drums, but not that early, in 1983? I’m interested to see how those red drum boxes would sound. Pretty sure that could be the Nord mentioned he used in the 80’s. He would’ve used the Nord Lead in 1995 when it came out as he was a big fan of programming his signature synth sounds on whatever synth had came out at the time. He programmed that lead on a K2000 Kurzweil even.

Edited by Music Bird (03/12/19 03:47 AM)

#2979813 - 03/12/19 07:08 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

...manufacturing a pull-quote that uses legitimate British slang..

Legitimate British slang eh?
Who knew from shtum?

#2979816 - 03/12/19 07:46 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Salutations sir

#2979830 - 03/12/19 08:49 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Wastrel]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Legitimate British slang eh?
Who knew from shtum?

I knew, but I kept shtum about it.

#2979888 - 03/12/19 05:34 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This reminded me of a weird thing from an '80s Winwood interview that I had a photocopy of back in the day. He said something like, "I also use something called a _ord, which not many people have heard of, but I think they will eventually." The first letter of "_ord" was cut off in the photocopy. I always assumed he had said "cord," and was just pulling the interviewer's leg with some sort of British humor I didn't understand. But now I wonder...

#2979918 - 03/13/19 03:46 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Josh Paxton]
Music Bird Offline

Maybe he used a Nord drum machine from the 80’s?

Edited by Music Bird (03/13/19 03:46 AM)

#2979928 - 03/13/19 05:52 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Music Bird]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
This thread is great on so many levels....

#2979935 - 03/13/19 07:45 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Music Bird]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Music Bird
Maybe he used a Nord drum machine from the 80’s?

These weren´t drum machines per sé.
No build in sequencer,- just "only" modules which could be triggered by drumpads, clamp-type trigger-mics and/or MIDI.
When they started building these, the company´s name was "Clavia" and the product line "DDrum".
They sold the brand in 2005 when the company was called NORD already.

So, because Winwood played drums on his (early) solo records too, it´s possible he used an early DDrum product like DDrum AT p.ex., well knowing Mr. Nordelius planned the realization of a synth too, but when that happened, that was between 5 and 10 years later.

The best DDrum module,- DDrum 3,- came in 1989 followed by DDrum 4 & 5 later,- but all prefered the DDrum 3, not only for studio but also for touring.
It sounded so good it was very easy having an acoustic drumkit on stage, mic hihat and cymbals (use overheads) only and triggering all the other, allowing to replace single drums or complete kits in the PA on the fly and have minimal bleedthru.
No gates and compressors necessary anymore,- and the DDrum 3 had good EQ for each channel too.
We had it in use for concert touring and many, many bands across all musical genres too.
They had a "Vintage"-Card containing John Bonham´s drumkit and others.
There was also a rackmount module exsisting called DDrum Plus.
Dunno if that was earlier than the DDrum 3 though.

A.C.

#2979937 - 03/13/19 08:06 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Coda]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
I heard he sampled a Moog, played from a DX7 into a Synclavier, then replayed from a casio SK-1 with the MIDI mod. That's what I heard.
I also heard he has a hook where his left foot used to be.

#2979941 - 03/13/19 08:38 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: ABECK]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ABECK

I also heard he has a hook where his left foot used to be.

Now we´re talkin´ !
I heard he was born w/ that hook already and in the age of about 6 month he invented the "hookline",- and later, in the years he enjoyed drugs,- his lines always had the shape of a hook, you know ...
That´s what I heard.

A.C.

#2979946 - 03/13/19 09:10 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Coda]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Looks like I am going to have to track down the article Josh is referring to. Some of you guys wouldn't believe a jackalope was real if it sat on your head and ate your Cheesy Poofs.

#2979949 - 03/13/19 09:42 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Platinum Member

Mmmm....

Cheesy Poofs!

#2979951 - 03/13/19 09:57 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: PianoMan51]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sounds like a Monty Python skit.
"The Ministry of Cheesy Poofs."

#2979958 - 03/13/19 10:57 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Wastrel]
Platinum Member

Poofs maybe. Never cheesy.

#2979960 - 03/13/19 11:07 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: PianoMan51]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: PianoMan51
Poofs maybe. Never cheesy.

Ahem...

#2979969 - 03/13/19 11:40 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Wastrel]
area51recording Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN

#2980172 - 03/14/19 09:07 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Wastrel]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

roll

Hats off to you... Truly hilarious.

#2980333 - 03/16/19 08:06 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I just got this in my in-box. It looks like it is from the mid-80s.

#2980337 - 03/16/19 08:23 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
stoken6 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nice wood grain you've got there - ahem, I mean whoever sent you that has got there.

And look at that - the article was torn in such as way as to seemingly confirm the theory posited elsewhere in this thread, while still leaving open the possibility that it'a untrue. What are the chances of that?

Cheers, Mike.

Edited by stoken6 (03/16/19 08:24 AM)

#2980346 - 03/16/19 09:55 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: stoken6]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

For any of you who might possibly believe this is true, I've got a Bahn Sage in excellent shape I'll sell you.

#2980349 - 03/16/19 10:08 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I just got this in my in-box. It looks like it is from the mid-80s.

Not the same article I had, but now you've got me curious. I might still have it in a box somewhere, will have to see if I can dig it out.

#2980351 - 03/16/19 11:43 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Josh Paxton]
dongna Offline

MOI just -killin'- this whole topic... kudos. roll

#2980367 - 03/16/19 01:16 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
I remember that article! I know I read it back in the day (I used to spin my Back in the High Life CD all the time, it's a wonder I didn't wear it out) and I think I've seen the text online as well.

#2980456 - Yesterday at 11:35 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Joe Muscara]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Found it.

#2980502 - Yesterday at 04:54 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Josh Paxton]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Cord? Ford? Lord?

#2980544 - Today at 06:55 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: mate stubb]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
For any of you who might possibly believe this is true, I've got a Bahn Sage in excellent shape I'll sell you.

I'll trade you for my Roland Zeus.

#2980547 - Today at 07:41 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Synthoid]
Platinum Member

I’ll believe it when I see a photo of a young Steve Winwood paddling a canoe, towing a floating red keyboard behind.

#2980550 - Today at 08:11 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: PianoMan51]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I doubt they were red back then.

#2980555 - Today at 08:21 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
10k Club

#2980565 - 2 minutes 48 seconds ago Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Synthoid]
Platinum Member

Well that settles it. I’m sure that somewhere in the past I’ve seen a photo of Stevie paddling a canoe and towing a BLUE keyboard!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner