Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2979440 - 03/09/19 09:28 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Sundown
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
This is all I could find. I remember that later in this article it goes into how he secretly played his prototype for what became the Nord on every recording he did from 1975 (when the first prototypes were brought to him) until whatever time period the article was from.

roll roll roll

Did you read it?

KC Island
#2979472 - 03/09/19 12:10 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Originally Posted By: xp50player
This is why I come on here, to be sent down a rabbit hole into an artist I have never looked into, but who has worked with some of my favorite artists.

Be sure to check out not just his solo work, but the things he's really well known for... The Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith. etc. Amazing stuff...

And also be sure to check out Voodoo Chile from Jimi Hendrix’s Electric Ladyland Album. For me this is one of Steve Winwood’s greatest performances.

#2979478 - 03/09/19 12:45 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Quinn]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Al Quinn

And also be sure to check out Voodoo Chile from Jimi Hendrix’s Electric Ladyland Album. For me this is one of Steve Winwood’s greatest performances.

+1.
A clinic on how a single speed Leslie can be used in rock and roll.

#2979504 - 03/09/19 04:47 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: davedoerfler]
Music Bird Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I seem to remember also a YC-45D sound used in those songs during the late 70’s. That’s the Yamaha organ mentioned, I don’t think the Nord has a YC Mode. The video sounds like a DX7 emulating the Moog patch. Maybe he has something in a rack though, or he’s using the Multimoog but using the DX live for reliability purposes.

#2979547 - 03/10/19 09:57 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Quinn]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And probably the most iconic use of the earliest proto-Nord.

#2979629 - 03/10/19 09:00 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Josh Paxton]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: Josh Paxton

That's right. It's well documented that when Jimi was a kid growing up, he used to frequent the first Nord shop at 4th & Pike in Seattle, it wasn't far from his childhood home.

#2979637 - 03/10/19 11:29 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: waygetter]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Some of you are mixing up fake stories with the real one.

#2979647 - 03/11/19 03:50 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Music Bird Offline

I don’t think anyone had access to Nords at the time, and The Finer Things definitely uses a DX7 in it. Also Higher Love has DX7 as well doing the horns.

#2979659 - 03/11/19 05:55 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
N4dr0j Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Scotland
Some of you are mixing up fake stories with the real one.

roll roll HeadPop

#2979661 - 03/11/19 06:19 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: N4dr0j]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
He used a DX in the video, as that was his stage controller for his Moogs.

#2979677 - 03/11/19 09:24 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Sundown]
Phnymiboy Offline

Loc: Miami
This is why I come on here, to be sent down a rabbit hole into an artist I have never looked into, but who has worked with some of my favorite artists.

Be sure to check out not just his solo work, but the things he's really well known for... The Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith. etc. Amazing stuff...

Got to see the trio version of Traffic a few times (Fillmore East and in Philly). Simply just pulled music out of the air. Beautiful.

#2979678 - 03/11/19 09:30 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Phnymiboy]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Phnymiboy

Got to see the trio version of Traffic a few times (Fillmore East and in Philly). Simply just pulled music out of the air. Beautiful.

Never saw them in concert, but I own just about every Traffic album on vinyl and listen to them quite often. Some really great music there.

Going back to the original thread topic, "The Finer Things" does have one of the tastiest synth solos I've heard in pop music. I never learned it, but I think it would be great to know as inspiration.

#2979679 - 03/11/19 09:30 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Phnymiboy]
samuelblupowitz Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Thanks for this great Steve Winwood thread, gang!

Older forumites, I’m curious: is that linked thread from 2002 where the running “Nord lead” joke on this forum originated? Or just an aggressive symptom of a disease that has yet to run its course all these years later?

#2979686 - 03/11/19 10:03 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: samuelblupowitz]
Music Bird Offline

I think if he used a Nord, it must’ve been on one of his late 90’s albums. I’m pretty sure the Nord joke would be more accurate in that time period. A lot of people were (and still are) using Nord Leads for kwek and pitch bendy leads. I’m honestly saying back in 1995-1998 you’d hear Nord Kwek and Brass leads everywhere. I’m pretty sure the sounds I hear in some late 90s songs are Nord.
On this one, he’s using a Multimoog or DX7 emulating one.

Edited by Music Bird (03/11/19 10:04 AM)

#2979688 - 03/11/19 10:20 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Music Bird]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Music Bird
I think if he used a Nord, it must’ve been on one of his late 90’s albums. I’m pretty sure the Nord joke would be more accurate in that time period. A lot of people were (and still are) using Nord Leads for kwek and pitch bendy leads. I’m honestly saying back in 1995-1998 you’d hear Nord Kwek and Brass leads everywhere. I’m pretty sure the sounds I hear in some late 90s songs are Nord.
On this one, he’s using a Multimoog or DX7 emulating one.

Did you read the article on the screenshot I posted?

#2979690 - 03/11/19 10:38 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Josh Paxton]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles

On the original vinyl, if you played it backwards you could hear Hendrix intoning "I buried Nord." and later (actually earlier if backwards) "Turn me on red man."

#2979703 - 03/11/19 12:30 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: xp50player]
Music Bird Offline

This is why I come on here, to be sent down a rabbit hole into an artist I have never looked into, but who has worked with some of my favorite artists. On the John Martyn, I have to know what Winwood’s FM-sounding vibes sound is on “ Couldn’t Love You More” E-70, D-80, CP30? It just says “Yamaha organ”.

I think a YC-45D or E70 was used. Some of the more synth-y poly sounds on Track 8 could mean E70. The intro of Small Hours makes me think YC-45D though.

Edited by Music Bird (03/11/19 12:32 PM)

#2979709 - 03/11/19 01:24 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: xp50player]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

If you're just getting into Winwood, check this out (19 years old!):

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2979712 - 03/11/19 01:49 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: mate stubb]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

^^^^^^Photoshopped.

#2979720 - 03/11/19 03:17 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Music Bird Offline

Can anyone point out why the Nord joke runs around and where it came from? Pretty sure it isn’t photoshopped. I think they used a Hammond in that song. Nord Electro/Stage sounds too sterile and clean to be a Hammond or Rhodes. And the Nord Lead filters are too quacky and 2-pole sounding to be a Moog, which has fatter sounds. Also, probably 1995, not 1975. In 1975 he would be using a Hammond and Yamaha organ.

Edited by Music Bird (03/11/19 03:21 PM)

#2979727 - 03/11/19 03:53 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Wastrel]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Wastrel

On the original vinyl, if you played it backwards you could hear Hendrix intoning "I buried Nord." and later (actually earlier if backwards) "Turn me on red man."
roll

#2979737 - 03/11/19 05:37 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Joe Muscara]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK, sorry for the forum-stretch. Here is the original screenshot. Unless someone is claiming that I created this myself, evoking the name and copying the writing style of rock's most famous journalist, laying it out as if it were a real article, manufacturing a pull-quote that uses legitimate British slang to be true to Winwood's roots, and then cropping the whole thing slightly awkwardly so I could claim I found it elsewhere, I think this pretty decisively settles the Winwood/Nord connection.

#2979749 - 03/11/19 06:58 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here is the original screenshot. Unless someone is claiming that I created this myself, evoking the name and copying the writing style of rock's most famous journalist, laying it out as if it were a real article, manufacturing a pull-quote that uses legitimate British slang to be true to Winwood's roots, and then cropping the whole thing slightly awkwardly so I could claim I found it elsewhere,

And clearly no one in their right mind would even entertain such an outlandish notion!

#2979752 - 03/11/19 07:08 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
OK, sorry for the forum-stretch. Here is the original screenshot. Unless someone is claiming that I created this myself, evoking the name and copying the writing style of rock's most famous journalist, laying it out as if it were a real article, manufacturing a pull-quote that uses legitimate British slang to be true to Winwood's roots, and then cropping the whole thing slightly awkwardly so I could claim I found it elsewhere, I think this pretty decisively settles the Winwood/Nord connection.

I have no doubt he had/has connection to NORD and/or was involved into developement of whatever keyboard related product.
But,- I doubt that happened in 1977/78 or something ...

NORD was founded in 1983 and they didn´t produce any synths,- just "only" drum-computers/ e-drums under the "DDrum" brand.
I really loved their DDrumIII though,- sample-dumped it´s content and vintage card´s content into my AKAI S-1000 at that time ´cause the DDrums used the same converters the AKAI S-series samplers used.
Still have all, the samples as well as the AKAI sampler(s).

Nord Lead was released in 1994/95 and I DOUBT there were any prototypes existing in the late 70s or early 80s at all.

In the OP´s vid you hear the Multimoog but see a DX7.

And yes, it might be possible but is not evident Steve W. re-created the Multimoog patch on a DX7 later,- IF he wasn´t too lazy to do that.

I tell ya,- the real pros making their living from songwriting, recording an touring don´t waste too much time w/ tech stuff !
And they have a vast private life too.

Maybe he found a programmer doing the job for him,- also later on the NORD Lead and even that would have been much easier to achieve compared to a DX7.

So, the relation between Winwood and NORD might have been just only an advertising/endorsement contract being arranged by his managers.
And yeah ... part of those contracts is reporting experience and wishes according the gear to the manufacturer.
But that doesn´t mean the Nord Lead wouldn´t exist w/o Winwood.

A.C.

#2979755 - 03/11/19 07:11 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: mate stubb]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

If you're just getting into Winwood, check this out (19 years old!):

[video:

I LOVE this vid !!!
Thx for sharing.

That´s Pete York on drums, isn´t it ?

A.C.

#2979757 - 03/11/19 07:23 PM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Al Coda]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Al Coda

That´s Pete York on drums, isn´t it ?

He was with SDG until 1969, so I'm betting yes.

#2979783 - 03/12/19 03:45 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: davedoerfler]
Music Bird Offline

I knew Nord made drum machines/electronic drums, but not that early, in 1983? I’m interested to see how those red drum boxes would sound. Pretty sure that could be the Nord mentioned he used in the 80’s. He would’ve used the Nord Lead in 1995 when it came out as he was a big fan of programming his signature synth sounds on whatever synth had came out at the time. He programmed that lead on a K2000 Kurzweil even.

Edited by Music Bird (03/12/19 03:47 AM)

#2979813 - 03/12/19 07:08 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
...manufacturing a pull-quote that uses legitimate British slang..

Legitimate British slang eh?
Who knew from shtum?

#2979816 - 03/12/19 07:46 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: MathOfInsects]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA

Salutations sir

#2979830 - 03/12/19 08:49 AM Re: Milking every note... Winwood's "The Finer Things" [Re: Wastrel]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Wastrel
Legitimate British slang eh?
Who knew from shtum?

I knew, but I kept shtum about it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner