Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2979042 - 03/06/19 05:08 PM Line6 HX Stomp
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I have posted a few other times leading up to a purchase I am now ready to make, but wanted some opinions.

I am primarily a keyboard player who has mostly played in cover bands, and do the occasional Rhythm guitar mostly either during songs with no keys, or where a keyboard part would sound cheesy backing the guitar solo compared to just chunking out the chords on a real guitar. I have a 1st generation Line6 POD (not even 2.0, but the very first one) that has been fine, but the form factor is a bit awkward on live gigs. Nice thing is the easy knob per function layout.

Fast Forward to now. I'm playing Keys in a progressive metal band and just purchased an analog Lead Synth that I initially intended to run through a dedicated Tube amp. I have since changed my mind and decided to integrate this with the rest of my keys rig and stick to a MIDI controllable Amp Sim.

Part of the reason, if anybody is familiar with the Korg Kronos keyboard, it has lots of built in effects with configurable chains and I/O......besides the main L/R output, it has 2 inputs and 4 aux outputs....but the internal amp sims suck, and occasionally it would be nice to run a Hammond organ through a nice amp (think Jon Lord).

So my configuration that I've been playing with using the Pod is Lead Synth into Kronos Input 1, Aux out 1 to Pod, Pod out to Kronos Input 2. In that way, any Kronos sound and/or Lead synth sound can be routed through any effects chain at will including out to the Pod and back, mixed internally, and out the Main outs.

So here's where I am now. Even my little Line6 Spider combo with an 8" speaker sounds better than my old Pod. I was looking at the HX Stomp because on paper, it has 130 models from the Helix line, full MIDI functionality, but in a stomp box format with 3 buttons I could use for things like boost for solos, delay on/off tap tempo, etc.

I went to try one at GC and it underwhelmed me for some reason. I tried it with just a regular MIM strat off the display wall because I figure that's a good reference. Maybe the issue was the Orange amp it was running through? The guy who worked there said the presets suck, and I agree, but that doesn't bother me. I tried just disabling all the other effects and only running through amp models. These should be way better than my first gen pod or even my spider. Not sure why they didn't speak to me. Again, maybe it was the guitar he handed me and/or the Orange amp? Maybe I should have tried headphones?

Just wondering if anybody else has experience and/or opinions?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

GP Island
#2979083 - 03/07/19 05:43 AM Re: Line6 HX Stomp [Re: J. Dan]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
@J. Dan - I feel you on the Jon Lord sound! I remember rocking to Hush on the radio wa-a-ay back when.

I haven't tried any of the Helix line myself, but one friend in the local EM/Experimental community recently upgraded her rig to a Helix, and is very impressed with the result. This is someone whose experience and knowledge I regard highly, FWIW.

IME, Amp Modelers don't sound their best through Guitar Amps. I run mine through a Keyboard Amp, if I have to use an Amp at all, otherwise, I run direct to the FOH system, wherever I'm playing. If I were you, and if it's convenient, I'd go back to GC, and ask to plug the HX into a good KB Amp, or even a FRFR Powered Speaker system, then try it out.

Also, current Orange Amps aren't all what they used to be. There are a bunch of import SS models, even a little battery-powered practice Amp, along with the more traditional Tube Amps. As Caevan pointed out in another thread, Amp Modelers and Tube Amps do not really get along.

Couple of other things - High-Gain Amp Models can sound just bloody awful. I get the most mileage out of models based on a Fender Twin or Bassman, maybe a clean VOX sound. If a Patch has the Compressor on, turn it off and see if the tone improves, or if the noise floor drops. Instead of a Mexi Strat, try a Music Man JP, a Schecter or ESP LTD 6-string, or an Ibanez with an H-S-H pickup configuration, something closer to the Prog Metal tone you're working towards, and listen to how that gets along with the HX. If you don't hear anything that grabs you with those changes, you can pass on the Helix line altogether, as they should all have the same DSP engine.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2979095 - 03/07/19 07:17 AM Re: Line6 HX Stomp [Re: Winston Psmith]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Thanks Winston. Yeah even after I made the original post, I was thinking back that the issue was probably running it through a guitar amp.....muddy, too much gain. Thinking back, it DID sound like distortion running through more distortion. I will NOT be running it that way. It would go direct to FOH and monitored either through my QSC K10 or my IEM's.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2979123 - 03/07/19 09:33 AM Re: Line6 HX Stomp [Re: J. Dan]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I have never tried the HX, but I have had a Line 6 modeler, a (Pod XT) and I have gotten some great sounds out of it, however you will have to learn how to use the computer editor, and tweak the presets by trial and error. Because the usual presets are a bit overdone with efx, and treble.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2979172 - 03/07/19 03:27 PM Re: Line6 HX Stomp [Re: desertbluesman]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I'm looking at the HX stomp. Almost pulled the trigger today but I shouldn't be so hasty. I'm using a small board now. I'm thinking I ditch my tremolo and delay pedals and replace them with the HX stomp. I keep the same foot print but gain a lot more functionality and have the option to take it direct to FOH and monitor through IEMs.

Edited by CEB (03/07/19 03:27 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2979484 - 03/09/19 01:34 PM Re: Line6 HX Stomp [Re: CEB]
apfzxguy Offline

I have a HX Stomp as well as a Helix Floor. Currently I'm using the Stomp with my keys going in the Return 1/2, the guitar in the input and the VSTs through the USB port. Everything comes out stereo into FRFR speakers.

Nothing you try with a guitar in the first hour or so with the Stomp is going to sound good until you look at the low and hi cuts in the speaker sim. I usually cut lows at around 90 Hz and highs around 7 kHz. Pretty powerful stuff, but be aware that currently the Stomp can only run 6 effect blocks per patch.

Next time you go to GC try this: from a blank preset pick a preamp of your choice and go into the guitar amp effects return. Otherwise you're running two preamps in series. It gets worse if you have a full amp with speaker sim going into a guitar amp input. Do that only if you're plugging into a FRFR speaker.

#2979567 - 03/10/19 11:24 AM Re: Line6 HX Stomp [Re: apfzxguy]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Welcome Aboard apfzxguy! cool

#2979577 - 03/10/19 12:49 PM Re: Line6 HX Stomp [Re: Larryz]
apfzxguy Offline

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Welcome Aboard apfzxguy! cool

Thanks, Larry!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose