Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2978878 - 03/06/19 03:31 AM You don't hear THIS every day....
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
CLASSICAL BANJO???

Bela Fleck's always been somethin' else! wink

Whitefang

GP Island
#2978886 - 03/06/19 05:02 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Yeah, Bella's somethin' else! RRREEAALLY nice guy, too, as are Wootens Victor and Roy "Future Man". Got to meet them after a Bella and the Flecktones performance many years ago; they let a friend and I and others up on the stage and even let some of us try their instruments out. Super friendly folks!

That's very nice, very well done (and this John Williams guy is no slouch, either wink ), thanks for posting that, 'fang.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2978899 - 03/06/19 05:36 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Bela put out a whole album of classical banjo a few years back. He came out of a bluegrass background but has explored a number of other styles over they years, most notably with the Flecktones.
He played banjo on McCoy Tyner's "Guitar" CD, where McCoy played with a variety of guitarists.

#2978905 - 03/06/19 06:10 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: Eric Iverson]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
He played banjo on McCoy Tyner's "Guitar" CD, where McCoy played with a variety of guitarists.

I have that album! Love it!

#2978911 - 03/06/19 06:54 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Nice find !
& as said above a great guy...but maybe not so unique.

An instructional commentary

freak Gotta chk that one out !

#2978973 - 03/06/19 10:16 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: d

freak Gotta chk that one out !

It's a great album! McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette are joined by guitarists Marc Ribot, John Scofield, (banjoist) Béla Fleck, Derek Trucks (!), and Bill Frisell. cool

#2978993 - 03/06/19 12:19 PM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

On my there now!
Ain't it great how "there" can be found almost anytime/anywhere now !

#2979050 - 03/06/19 06:11 PM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Several decades ago I mastered a CD of Bach & other Baroque nuggets, played on banjo by a guy from Virginia who I've never run across since. Great stuff. I guess it's not a completely new idea.

#2979061 - 03/06/19 08:37 PM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Confession time: of all the stringed instruments in the world, banjo is among my least favorite.

Still, I can respect the skill and talent of the performers, and have been known to enjoy the odd performance now and again.

Bela Fleck, though...he’s touching the divine when he’s plucking strings. like

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2979072 - 03/07/19 03:11 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Maine
Just goes to show you that not every banjo player is a bald headed kid on a bridge!
Bela Fleck is the real deal and I have loved John McCuen with his work in the NGDB. Jazz and classical influences have been in McCuen's banjo playing I have seen both artists in concert and the Bela Fleck show I saw was one of the best I have ever seen.

#2979079 - 03/07/19 05:13 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: bbqbob]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Good examples guys.

And luckily, the banjo's come a long way! (you may have to ff to the :58 mark)

Whitefang

#2979091 - 03/07/19 06:50 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I like the old blue grass banjo pickers but I can also appreciate those that can take it in new directions as in the OP. Here's one I like by Steve Martin...OT and nothing too fancy but he wrote it:

cool

#2979116 - 03/07/19 08:47 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Confession time: of all the stringed instruments in the world, banjo is among my least favorite.

I think one thing that only becomes obvious in the case of the banjo when one reflects on it's timbre is that it has virtually no sustain.
Even an acoustic gtr has greater note length
& as regular electric players have become accustomed to electronix for the much more malleable, horn-like sustain, usable in so many more expressive ways.

Although some players have taken the banjo into new realms, even a player as seemingly avant-garde as Jerry Garcia took yrs to develop
an approach on electric that went beyond what always seemed to me a banjo-like. constrained sound.

#2979164 - 03/07/19 02:40 PM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: d]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Taj Mahal take (The) banjo in a slightly diff direction
...not classical but not quite trad, either

#2979238 - 03/08/19 03:20 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Gotta remember....

Bela was long known( and first) for THIS kind of thing....

And to DANNY---

I always kind of liked the banjo sound( and too, bluegrass music) but it wasn't until I tried PLAYING one that I gained a whole new respect for anyone who plays one, and plays it well! wink

Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (03/08/19 03:24 AM)

#2979261 - 03/08/19 07:56 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I like the old blue grass banjo pickers but I can also appreciate those that can take it in new directions as in the OP. Here's one I like by Steve Martin...OT and nothing too fancy but he wrote it:

cool

It's often forgotten---or even not recognized---that bluegrass music was not actually traditional.
It was a deliberate, mid-20th C development, a sorta flash country jazz.

Abt that clip in particular...it seems to divide into 3 sections (& in the YT commentary below the clip there are 3 tunes identified) but aren't the 1st 2 sections slow/fast variations on the same music ?
---------------------------------------

An interesting as \pect of this thread, to me, is the discovery of Bluegrass 45, a Japanese band celebrating their 50th anniversary this year
[More info at
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/bluegrass-45-mn0000067607
&
https://bluegrasstoday.com/bluegrass-45-50-years-on/ ]

Here they are in action playing some Mozart.
Musicians from one culture
playing music of another culture
in the style of still a 3rd ?!
If aliens ever actually visit Earth their confusion will be well-based.

Hendrix fans are directed to the following clip
starting abt 1:50~the end.

Finally, for now, we have a reverse flow of this musical river.
"Must the Devil Have All the Good Tunes?" is John Adams’ third piano concerto. The orchestration, in addition to solo piano, includes bass guitar and a specially detuned “honky-tonk” piano.

A segment may be audited here...
https://www.earbox.com/must-the-devil-have-all-the-good-tunes/

#2979287 - 03/08/19 10:40 AM Re: You don't hear THIS every day.... [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I was not going into the history of blue grass, but it is an American genre, the term 1st coined by Bill Monroe in 1939 (as you say in the mid 20th century). However it's roots go back to Irish and Scottish traditional music going back to the 1600's. You will hear the Celtic influence in many blue grass combos...jazz concepts and improvisation is found in all of these genres. I was not going there though..just trying to post the kind of banjo music I like listening to. Also Steve does most of his 1st two tunes before the band kicks in. You can hear some nice improvisation by the violin and the other banjo player (I don't know if this has anything to do with the 3 vs 2 sections question)... cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose