Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven

Here's a new video of the Seven with the Mojo 61 on top, using the Wurli Stackers from Vintage Vibe. Works for me!

[video:youtube]

Very groovy, Frank. Thanks for sharing. The Mojo and Seven do splendidly in the roles they were designed for.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a new video of the Seven with the Mojo 61 on top, using the Wurli Stackers from Vintage Vibe. Works for me!

Man, that is a sweet-sounding a slick-looking rig. Love the performance, too -- reminds me a bit of Jon Cleary!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Great tune! Very evocative of the Brian Auger brand of fusion.

To my ears, the Rhodes and Hammond sounds are completely authentic. If I didnt know better, I wouldnt call them out as clones.

Very groovy, Frank. Thanks for sharing. The Mojo and Seven do splendidly in the roles they were designed for.

Man, that is a sweet-sounding a slick-looking rig. Love the performance, too -- reminds me a bit of Jon Cleary!

Thanks guys... I used to listen a lot to Brain Auger, and man... I LOVE Jon Cleary. I'm a big fan of Crumar's sounds. They do sound very authentic, and even more after the latest updates, which I didn't do for this recording yet. If you haven't yet, it's worth doing!

www.frankmontis.com | www.youtube.com/user/frankmontis

• 1 month later...

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Hi. Very good thread. Quick question: how robust are the knobs? I fear flimsy knobs ala Blofeld.

They don't feel super solid. There's a little bit of wiggle. I'm not going to start banging on them to see if they'll break.

I'd say the important thing is that they are not exposed like they would be sticking up from the top of a synth. For instance they're not going to be rubbing against any case you might put the keyboard in. You'd have to be doing something pretty weird to be making contact with the Seven's knobs in a way that could damage them.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I have a piece of rubber matting that lives on the top of the Seven to prevent scratching that beautiful curved surface. My Mojo61 sits nicely on that. Also, when playing with just the Seven it's really nice to have that horizontal surface to put a midi module or charts on.

First MINOR problem with the SEVEN. The bottom Bank indicator light stopped working. No functional problems, just the light. So now I know I'm in the fourth bank when none of the lights are lit :). Too minor for me to pack and ship for service....don't you think? Still in love with it though.

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Thatza nyzza! With th3e Venice Grand, the Seven at last has a piano I can enjoy! I wouldn't say it's my new favorite sampled piano, but it's quite good, very realistic, woody, and sonorous. I've messed around with the settings for the modeled piano. It's getting better with each OS update, yet somehow it still sounds like an upright to my ears. With the Venice Grand I wouldn't hesitate to use the Seven on a solo piano gig.

I finally had the opportunity this morning to play a Yamaha p515. That's my gold standard for a sampled piano. Crumar's Venice isn't that good, but it's more than respectable.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I finally played my first gig with The Seven.

Wow.

Being predominantly an organ player, I was concerned with the weight of the action. My favorite weighted-action board is the Nord Piano. The Seven action is heavier than the NP, but the sounds are much more alive and responsive, especially the EPs. It will be good for my chops overall to put some shed time in on the Seven.

On the gig, I found the Seven to be totally inspiring to play! I was playing and hearing fresh things on tunes Ive been playing for years!! A realistic sound and response always open up creative avenues in my head and The Seven definitely provided those!

Also, the damn thing just looks cool.

Im really knocked out by this. Stacking the Mojo61 on top basically gives my the dream vintage rig Ive always wanted.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Big thanks to Dave Bryce for bringing the Seven to NAMM. I got to play it for just a few minutes in the din, but that's all it takes to lust after one.

Like Mitch said, the action is a tad heavy, but it just feels so right. It reminds me of the Rhodes I had in the late 70's, but smoother. Dave was mentioning to me how important it is to factor in not just whatever Fatar action is used in a given keyboard, but the implementation of that keyed to the sound generation. In the case of the Seven, Crumar did an awesome job of marrying the two. It's a really organic instrument to play...

Literally the only thing that's preventing me from getting one is the Christmas tree lightshow.

I know the colors have a function, but still it's a bit too much. If they implement a os update to at least be able to dim them, I'm all in!

IIRC, the option to toggle those off was implemented a few revs ago.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 1 month later...
Wanna see me improvise a Seven demo?

dB

Ha! I was just about to post a link, as I just finished watching that. I've been skeptical, but when you said "30 lbs", and showed the gear store, I started to melt.

TP 100/LR Nice. :)

I've become a fan of Chuck. He showed me alot about the Numa Compact 2(x) and the iLoud micros.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.