Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sometimes I wish Kawai still made synths...

I absolutely love my MP11 digital piano, and there are days I wish Kawai would dive back into the synth business.

The K5 was a bit of an odd bird for it's time, but the K1, K1 II, and K4 were lush entry-level synths. And the much-overlooked K5000 was a very cool board.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sites/default/files/2017-05/kawai_k5000s_angle.jpg

It's great that we're living in an analog renaissance with Moogs, Sequentials, etc., and there are certainly some very capable ROMplers on the market, but I always appreciated that Kawai's boards were a bit off the beaten path.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The K5 was probably the most complete fully additive architecture ever in the sub-$2000 class. You could define waveforms with up to 126 harmonics(!), and each partial could select from 4 envelopes to control groups of harmonics within a wave.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

The K5 was a beast with a phenomenal semi weighted keyboard.

You really had to understand additive synthesis to unlock its magic....

..... I never owned one but I used to track in a studio that had one.

I loved every moment I got to play it!

I need to concentrate on what I have for this new project, but maybe Ill hunt for one in 2020.....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I wanted a K5000S for quite a while and was watching them on eBay when they were down to the $450-$600 range and there were pretty regularly up for sale. I bid on a few but never got one and moved on to other things. I still have interest in additive synths but I'm sure you can do a lot more with software these days. Still, might be fun.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The K5 was probably the most complete fully additive architecture ever in the sub-$2000 class. You could define waveforms with up to 126 harmonics(!), and each partial could select from 4 envelopes to control groups of harmonics within a wave.

I owned a K5 for a while. It had some intriguing presets that hinted at its potential, but I had been totally subtractive until then. I didn't have a chance! :D

The display was far too small, UN-lit and the harmonics could only be shown in small groups represented by (drum roll) segmented lines. There was an early PC editor for it, but at that point for both me and the level of programming then, fuggedaboutit. The keyboard felt like hitting planks, so it was a tactile kick in the slats as well and not at all inviting.

I think the S model helped the design along mightily, but it was still too soon, processor-wise. 1000 partials and up is the norm in software now, to the point where additive almost crosses over with resynthesis proper.

I'd love to see a new Kawai synth that made a good splash. A pal and I had the full keyboard and module versions of the K1, respectively and we still have a fondness for the unique graininess of the base sound. I also loved the sound of the K4, although it had a weird buffer overflow flaw that made playing it vigorously pretty iffy. I have some standing good will for Kawai, so if they found a smart way to mash parts of that historical creative savvy into a solid instrument, I'd be keenly interested.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Still got my K5000S. Great feeling keybed. Use it mostly when i need a 61-key bottom controller for my Motif.

- Jimbo

I think about snagging a used one now and then, but I havent got the room. I would have to get the rack. But I love the look of the board...

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I have a K1 for almost 20 years. Great synth. When you play it through a good reverb, it shines.

The great thing with it, is that you can split two sounds and direct it's other to separate outputs(L,R).

I had a K5000S and i sold it around 2007 to a friend of mine. I beg him all these years to sell it back but he did not.

So, before one year, i bought a K5000W. I connect it with an arturia beatstep and i use it as macrobox controller and it works great! The only thing i missed is the arpegiator but i have the sequencer(if anyone want the sysex just tell me).

Kawai K5000 is a phenomenal synth both in sound a programming possibilities. And, if you do not want to go deeper just use the knobs to shape the sound...i can do it for hours and never bored!

I am planning to buy a Kawai K5000S or a rack if i find one in a good condition...

And it has one of the best synths actions ever!

If you'll find one pick up instantly. It's a monster !!!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

• 4 months later...

I was on a Kawai kick back in the late 80s and early 90s. Got the K1 and loved it in 1988. Sold it to my guitarist friend (who had a MIDI guitar) after buying the K4 in 1990 which I still have and use.

At the time it was one of the few synths with a resonant filter.

Got the Kawai Q-80 hardware sequencer in 1991 which I also still have and still use on occasion.

Played a K50000W in the store and was very impressed.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I made this song

[video:yahoo]

All sounds except drums(addictive) and bass(minitaur) are from Kawai K5000W.

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com