Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo 61 Review - (LONG)

Guido posted this on FB yesterday (screen shot at the link).

"The next update for the Mojo61, which will be released in a few days, will enable it to the use of a WIRED (USB-MIDI) "Online Editor" that will exchange data with the unit using the good old MIDI protocol, not the wi-fi. This won't replace the internal wi-fi editor, it just adds one further possibility. The editor will be based on Google's WEB MIDI API, so it will work from within a website, will be compatible with Chrome and Firefox and will, of course, require an internet connection (hence the "online" prefix). Can be used with a computer (just connect the USB cable) or with an Android device via a $2 OTG adapter, or from an iPad, that requires the ~$40 CCK from Apple. I must also add that this is experimental and not 100% guaranteed, given the nature of the WEB MIDI API.

The editor can be reached from this URL:

https://www.gsidsp.com/Mojo61/

Of course it won't work with your Mojo61 until the new firmware is released. Just be a bit patient... "

When asked if this feature would be added to the Gemini/DMC122 he said No.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 months later...

Can anyone speak to whether the new update negates the benefits of a Tall and Fat pedal? I was thinking about getting one to warm up the sound when I run the Mojo through a Leslie Studio 12, but I know the update improved the internal drive on the Mojo so I'm not sure if the gap between using and not using the T&F has closed.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone,

I'm a long time lurker of these forums and happy to be a new owner of a Mojo 61, complete with the lower manual. Having chased down different clonewheel B3/Leslie combos since the 80s, the Mojo 61 is just dynamite and I love it.

It looks like this has become the main Mojo 61 thread, so I'm reposting my questions here:

(1) In terms of the physical playing position, Id do chin-flips if there was a way to somehow shift the non-organ sounds to the lower drawbars. I understand that the instrument is mono-timbral (one sound at a time, i.e. B3 OR Rhodes and not B3 AND Rhodes). However, I wish there was an easy way to shift the non-B3 instruments to the lower manual as its a MUCH more of a standard playing position for piano, etc. Even better, it would be great to have them work on both manuals (shifting the octaves up/downupper manual could be the higher notes and the lower manual could be the lower notes). When plugged into my desktop Mac, I could see that the lower drawbar sends out signals on MIDI channel 2. Are there any workarounds?

(2) To save on cash, I was thinking of using my old Dynacord CLS-222 dual pedal stomp box for the Leslie RUN/STOP and SLOW/FAST and doing a bit of rewiring. However, like this box, most switches are latched and aren't momentary. Any inexpensive alternatives that you guys like? For those of you who use the Sustain pedal as Leslie FAST/SLOW...what do you used for the RUN/STOP function? Just trying to consolidate things a bit and be more minimalist per gigs these days.

(3) Aside from the Crumar case for the lower manual, again - has anyone found any inexpensive alternatives for such a gig bag?

(4) I'm thinking of messing around with using the USB port as a 5V external power source. Has anyone verified the voltage/amperage out of both of the two ports on the rear of the unit?

(5) Instead of buying a Crumar 9DU, I figured that maybe I could put my old Voce MIDI Drawbar to use - and maybe also somehow program the Mojo 61 to repurpose some of its buttons. Given that there are 7 rocker switches that are on a B3, 5 of them are already on the Mojo 61. How does the Mojo 61 normally handle Lower V/C, and V/C Volume (Normal/Soft)? As the Voce would be on MIDI Ch2, I just don't know exactly how I'd implement stuff as it seems a bit confusing. Better to ask than re-invent the wheel, right?

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the club!

For #1, the upper (M61) manual transmits on MIDI CH#1 and the lower manual on MIDI CH#2, and that is how the M61 'knows' to direct those note on/off events to the upper or lower manual tones of the B3 sound engine.

So it sounds like what you want is:

A) for the lower manual to transmit on MIDI CH#1 when you are on piano, or...

B) For the piano sounds in the M61 to 'listen' to MIDI CH#2.

I looked at the WiFi editor, I didn't see anything to do this. You could:

For option A - put some sort of MIDI box in between to change the CH# from #2 as it is received to transmitting #1 - I'm pretty sure there are things on the market for this, though you need to think about the power through, you might need a break out cable/box for that?

For option B - Put in a request to Crumar to support this. Seems like the Single/Split/EXT-LOWER buttons could be used for this (RCV on #1, #2, or "all"?), since they are inactive when the piano is selected. Seems like a lot of people might want this, and they have been pretty responsive.

I'll look into the other things later, if no one else chimes in.

Ive been meaning to reply - I agree - getting the lower manual has been one of the best buys Ive made in a long time. I think it would be good to have those extra sounds on the bottom manual... but when I want any other sounds than Hammonds, I use my Korg Module, which I run off the lower manual. I get a miles better Acoustic, a very good Scarbee Rhodes which I can alternate with Guidos, and have, for all intents, a bi-timbral Mojo.

Here for the gear.

I have a gemini module and use the voce midi drawbar to control all upper manual functions (except lower v/c on/off). The voce is set on channel 1 and controls the upper drawbars, v/c on, v/c type, percussion, overdrive, keyclick and rotary slow/fast. To control the lower v/c on/off i programmed a switch on my midi controller to send the message via channel 1. Even though the lower keybed must send on channel 2, things like lower v/c and even the lower drawbars themselves must be sent to the upper channel, i.e. channel 1. So in order to send the voce drawbars to control the lower drawbars the voce must be set to channel 1, not channel 2. Further, you must have the version of the midi drawbars that has the main/aux switch on the back, this one (version 3.0)

https://reverb.com/item/3203566-voce-midi-drawbar-controller-3-0

Why this version? Because the lower drawbars are received on the upper channel as cc#21-29. The voce sends 12-20 which is the upper drawbars, except for version 3.0 which has the main/aux button on the back. Set to main the drawbars send cc#12-20, set the switch to aux and the drawbars will send 21-29, which are the lower drawbars of the mojo. If you don t have this version then your other option is to let the voce control the upper drawbars and have the mojo's drawbars control the lower drawbars. Since the mojo can control everything except the 2nd set of drawbars and the voce can control one of the two sets no matter what version you have you should be good to go. It's just a matter of figuring which device will control the upper drawbars and which one will control the lower. For the lower v/c on/off i send the cc for lower on/off from my controller, so i hit a button and the lower v/c is activated, when i hit the button again the lower v/c turns off. This controller must also be sent to channel 1, i.e. the upper channel. Only the lower keybed itself must be set to channel 2, all other controls are on channel 1.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Hey guys - Thanks for the fast replies! I think this seems to be the default Mojo 61 thread at this point? (I just pointed the thread I started over here...)

1) Yeah...I had thought about a MIDI in/out box sort of solution (i.e., MIDI solutions, etc.) but I'm hoping that Guido changes the internal code so no workaround is needed. Bi-timbrality would be great but I'd settle for just using the lower manual for the other sounds for now.

2) Korg Module sounds neat; what's the setup there? Does the lower manual send more than just on/off messages (key velocity - especially for piano, etc.)? The lower manual's functionality as a MIDI controller is a bit unclear to me, except that it uses the next higher channel than whatever the upper drawbars are. I was thinking of using my MacBook as a second sound generator -- but trying to keep things as simple and streamlined (and inexpensive) as possible.

3) Would love to hear if you guys are half-moon people...use the double pedal for the Leslie...etc. - as well as options per an affordable gig bag for the lower.

4) Very cool about the Voce - Thanks! I stumbled upon the answer last night just before seeing your post and thankfully I have v3 of the Midi Drawbars (Aux Drawbars, CH1) and it's working a treat. I guess the next question might be...what and if is reassignable per CC values to avoid duplicate controllers? I'm assuming the Voce is static...but what about the Mojo? (i.e., I think the Voce's overdrive knob controls the reverb...the volume is a duplicate...etc.)

Thanks!

For the drawbars there should be nothing more to reassign. The Mojo with the drawbar switch selector set to upper will send the upper drawbars (CC#12-20) and with the Voce set on Ch1 and "AUX" will send CC#21-29, i.e. the lower drawbars.

For the overdrive issue: the voce overdrive knob, per the manual, sends CC#91. go to the edit menu on the mojo and call up the edit effects. Set the "Drive" in the rotary simulation area, which might be assigned to CC#76 to CC#91. Now the drive will be controlled by the overdrive knob on the Voce. I don't see on my Gemini where CC#91 is assigned to any other function unless you have done that on your Mojo intentionally. Check the spring reverb and digital reverb areas of the effects and see if CC#91 is assigned anywhere, if so change the CC# to something other than CC#91 (or a CC that is not being sent by any function).

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Korg Module sounds neat; what's the setup there? Does the lower manual send more than just on/off messages (key velocity - especially for piano, etc.)? The lower manual's functionality as a MIDI controller is a bit unclear to me, except that it uses the next higher channel than whatever the upper drawbars are. I was thinking of using my MacBook as a second sound generator -- but trying to keep things as simple and streamlined (and inexpensive) as possible.

See the discussion with Mitch, Adan & me on P26.

Would love to hear if you guys are half-moon people...use the double pedal for the Leslie...etc.

I rewired my Nord half-moon switch for slow/stop/fast.

Here for the gear.

+1 for the ability to use lower manual for piano/epiano sounds!

(and possibly using upper for octive extensions)

-Mark

Crumar Mojo 61+ 61B - Korg Triton Extreme - Voce V3 (with drawbars) - Kawai MP-9000 - Yamaha M207 upright piano... wishing for a Hammond & Leslie

I absolutely love my Mojo61. However, I was annoyed by the constant relatively low level, low frequency sound in the output that was reported to come from the WIFI device. At least one other poster here reported on this constant sound if I recall correctly.

What I want to report now is that removing the WIFI device altogether is as simple as opening the organ and pulling out a little USB dongle that is obviously the WIFI. Now, that noise is GONE. I can still edit over usb, but not over WIFI unless I reinstall it. Since I would never do major edits on any keyboard on a gig, this is no big deal for me.

• Like 1

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

I absolutely love my Mojo61. However, I was annoyed by the constant relatively low level, low frequency sound in the output that was reported to come from the WIFI device. At least one other poster here reported on this constant sound if I recall correctly.

What I want to report now is that removing the WIFI device altogether is as simple as opening the organ and pulling out a little USB dongle that is obviously the WIFI. Now, that noise is GONE. I can still edit over usb, but not over WIFI unless I reinstall it. Since I would never do major edits on any keyboard on a gig, this is no big deal for me.

Very interesting - thanks for posting!

Is this the noise that I have called a "helicopter noise"? Sort of a low level wump-wump-wump-wump?

How do you take the M61 apart to get to this? When I got mine, I could hear something, (a loose part, solder ball?) rattle/roll around inside. I just tilted the M61 until it seemed to settle to the lower right where I figured there weren't any electronics, and I really didn't want to return it for this. But once it is out of warranty, I will take it apart to remove it. It wasn't obvious to me which screws need to be removed to open it.

Editing over USB would be good enough for me (preferable actually, I can keep my computer on my network to access other stuff), but maybe a switch could be wired to turn the wifi on/off for people who do use it?

Is this the noise that I have called a "helicopter noise"? Sort of a low level wump-wump-wump-

I had the same noise on my Gemini. Not a problem in my home studio but through a pair of 1000watt powered speakers it's a bit annoying. I removed the internsl USB WIFi dongle and plugged it into the USB port on the back of the module. I used a short USB extender cable with a ferrite core. The "wump wump wump" is barely audible. I dont edit the Gemini live so I remove it for gigs - might lose it anyway. I think someone with a M61 has done this mod internally and just taped the extender lead to the chassis. I reckon it's interference of some sort. I always switch the Gemini off before connecting/removing the dongle.

Is this the noise that I have called a "helicopter noise"? Sort of a low level wump-wump-wump-wump?

How do you take the M61 apart to get to this? When I got mine, I could hear something, (a loose part, solder ball?) rattle/roll around inside. I just tilted the M61 until it seemed to settle to the lower right where I figured there weren't any electronics, and I really didn't want to return it for this. But once it is out of warranty, I will take it apart to remove it. It wasn't obvious to me which screws need to be removed to open it.

Editing over USB would be good enough for me (preferable actually, I can keep my computer on my network to access other stuff), but maybe a switch could be wired to turn the wifi on/off for people who do use it?

Yes, exactly that noise. wump-wump-wump-wump . I hesitate to call it helicopter because readers might mistakenly conclude that we are hearing Leslie whirl, which it is not. Anyway, Guido would send you instructions on the screws to remove to open the organ, and the dongle is obvious.

Barry

Man, you cats have good ears. My 61 is whisper quiet.

Well, it is low level, and I use mine in a quiet home setting, with a clean amp and kinda hi-fi monitors right behind me, at ear level.

After I'm playing for 10 minutes or so, I tend to not really notice it. Maybe my brain filters it out, or something settles down?

And I would not be surprised if there was unit-to-unit variation, maybe some grounding somewhere is better or worse in different units? Grounding can be tricky and non-obvious.

To Barryjam: OK, I'll write to Guido about disassembly, but does anyone know if there are any instructions on the web?

I heard that noise through PA clearly, and band mates at rehearsal asked me to turn off the organ!

NTL2009 I have a PDF from crumar. PM me with your email address and I will send it to you as an attachment.

Barry

Hey guys - Thanks again for your suggestions and thoughts!

1) Again, my hope is that Guido really changes the internal code per the lower drawbars - and Ill wait to see if he does anything. I LOVE the Rhodes but still really want to use my lower manual for that. (Im guessing he follows this thread?)

2) Meanwhile, you guys really turned me onto the idea of using my iPad with the lower manual instead of my MacBook and the Korg Module seems brilliant for my needs. I may in fact grab a PlugKey, but I also thought about seeing if the less expensive Apple USB3 Camera Connector might be an option - as the Mojo 61 has a MIDI over USB built in - and I could just use the headphone jack for audio out. Anyone try this? Any thoughts?

Either way, along these lines, my amp only has a single input jack for L and R. Is there a way to safely double those inputs into the amp (iPad + Mojo 61) without having to go buy a mixer? I have two mini mono (y-cable) doubler adapters (2x 1/4 F to 1x 1/4 M) from Radio Shack from years ago...but Ive read that might be a bad idea and I dont want to short out either the iPad or the Mojo 61. Just would prefer not have to go buy and set-up more gear but Ill need some sort of solution if I want to also use the iPad.

3) Leslie - I think Im going to mess around with the pedal route as thats how Ive played for 20+ years. For pedals when its in the STOP position, is there way to keep it off until you hit RUN? Right now, if you hit SLOW/FAST when its OFF, it starts up again. Would be nice to have the option of disabling this function that Guido apparently added in.

4) Voce - Again, that's a huge help and thats going to be my answer. I havent figured out the CCs yet to reassign thingsbut as a lower drawbar solution - its perfect for getting started! And yes - I'm finding myself using the lower drawbars.

5) Noise - I noticed noise when its turned on to the B3 - but then again - I put a TON of noise in my custom settings - which plays in the background and I hope I wont annoy my new bandmates when I meet up with them this week. BTW - Guido was a genius per putting in the click sound for the Leslie! I couldnt believe itand noticed it when I had headphones on. What a master of detail!

6) Any of you guys still going a Vent or something else? Im getting the sense that particularly after this last update, that many of us Mojo 61 are shelving their Vents as the onboard Leslie has gotten good enough. The only other thing that might have seemed marginally better was Guido's VB3-II plugin my Mac when routed to Amplitubes Leslie that Hammond designed. However, thats too much extra wiring and stuff for playing liveand Im really enjoying the simple is good enough sort of thing lately.

7) Any thoughts on gig bags for the lower manual, other than the stock $150 option?

Thanks again for your suggestions and thoughts! - Seth

Originally Posted By: burningbusch

"I went back and compared Ivory Steinway running on my Windows 10 PC in Pro Tools vs. it running on the iPad in Module. Even though I was at 128 sample buffer on the Windows machine vs. 64 on the iPad, it was CLEARLY more responsive and consistent. It got me thinking that MIDI jitter might be as big an issue as latency. As most people run these iPad synths/instruments in standalone mode, it's up to each developer to properly account for latency and jitter. Seems like it's going to be all over the place.

http://expressiveness.org/2012/12/04/midi-jitter

There's also a huge difference in the playability. The Ivory Steinway covers a wide dynamic and timbral range. On the PC it's 18 velocity layers. On the iPad, it's something like five trying to cover the same range. When playing I found huge jumps in timbre and dynamics vs. the PC which was perfectly smooth as you would expect with 18 layers. I honestly found it to be unplayable. If others can make it work for them, more power to them, I can't.

Busch.

END QUOTE

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2953140/Korg_Module_2_7_0_new_Ivory_Am

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I personally found Scarbee and Ivory both to lag too much when played in Korg Module with an Apple USB3 Camera type Connector. And the lag time felt irregular. I tried it with an Ipad and also with an Iphone 6. I couldn't get comfortable with it, it felt like too much delay compared to what I am used to for single note blowing. .

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Thanks and that's important feedback. Does anyone experience any lag with the Korg PlugKey at all? Just trying to determine where the bottleneck is, before I order anything.

BTW - I brought both the upper/lower manual to this past week's session - and boy - was the rest of the band blown away! Never realized just how important and valuable the lower manual really is when playing live with others.

Would love to hear more feedback per my prior questions if anyone has a moment. Thanks!

Apologies, as I certainly didn't want this to become a piano thread. My remaining questions and thoughts for now would be:

1) Any thoughts on gig bags, especially for the lower manual?

2) Are any of you guys still going a Vent or something else for a Leslie sim, especially after the recent updates?

3) Guido --- if you're reading this --- LOVE THE UPDATES!!! - and (1) would love the ability to use the lower manual for the non-B3 sounds, and (2) allowing us to disable the ability auto-start the Leslie from STOP by hitting SLOW/FAST.

Thanks for everyone who has chimed in!

Every time I see this thread at the top of the forum I rush to open it hoping to find an update for the acoustic piano in my Mojo 61. They should delete the old acoustic piano samples and replace them with some modified samples from their new set, the samples they recently made for the Seven. If they are too big , then compress them or something so they can fit in.

• 2 months later...

A friend brought his original Mojo over. As someone who (and roadies) hauled a Lowery or chopped B3 around through the late 60s into the 70s this is a great kybd. Sounds very good, plays well and nice n light. Im now on the hunt for a Mojo 61 (maybe Sk1-73 or Legend Solo after reading about these here). Damn these clones are amazing.

For those using iPads, I have the new iPad Air with the camera USB attachment- we found no latency issues when using the Korg Module, GB or Heavy Brass. Im going to ask BK to find out what The Who are using on tour these days since Loren replaced Rabbit (who hauled a B3 c/w lots of parts around the globe).

1) Any thoughts on gig bags, especially for the lower manual?

I couldn't speak to the lower manual, but for the Mojo 61 on its own, I use the Mono M80 case - fits well and has held up through a lot of gigging. Link

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

$35 Gator 61 key padded kyb gig bag suits me. (GKBE-61)

I hope Crumar keeps grooming their rotary sim and replaces the AP with some of the Vienna samples.