Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

I've done two sessions with the MODX in the shop. I'm liking it way more. A realistic option is I quit playing Pop music and get my ass backing into playing Country full time and gets this to lighten my rig. Retiring from this is still probably the smarter move. I just got an offer from a good country band but they want me to play a whole music store. (Keys pedal steel, guitar, banjo, mando ) 🙁 But that was my thing. Jack of all trades master of none.

I decided to quit a dance band a few years ago because I was spending so much time splits/layers etc. Odd ass sounds that were just plain stupid. Samples mapped to keys and plus the fact I don't really like dance music but my motto has been I play what pays the bills.

As I am getting older I find myself being choosy about bands I play with.

My FA-06 is gone. The MODX7 will replace it next month. I haven't bought a keyboard in 5 years. That's a good thing, right?

You may miss the pads/synth strings and synth sounds from the FA, everything else is pretty good, but I had to get an integra-7 aswell to satisfy the thick sound the Roland has.

My FA-06 is gone. The MODX7 will replace it next month. I haven't bought a keyboard in 5 years. That's a good thing, right?

You may miss the pads/synth strings and synth sounds from the FA, everything else is pretty good, but I had to get an integra-7 aswell to satisfy the thick sound the Roland has.

Pads and synth strings were the only things I liked about the Roland in the end, but even then, I only got the best results when I made my own pads. The more I began to dig into synthesis and sound design the less the hundreds of presets appealed to me. Some of the Axial sounds were very good though. Clavs and EPs and the SuperNatural acoustic sounds on the FA all grated on me. I hear people raving about the SuperNatural acoustic engine, but I was never convinced, not on the Jupiter 50 either.

The MODX synth sounds however blew me away... I don't think I'll miss the warmth of the Roland pads too much once I dig into the sound design and motion control/evolving textures on the MODX. I may miss the sample pads though, but I can get around that by loading my own WAV files into the MODX's flash memory.

The worst thing about the FA for me was the real time control. As my setups started getting more complicated I was having to compromise in so many ways. It felt so limited for what I wanted it to do. I also begruded buying an adapter just to use it with my FC7.

Maybe it's because I've been using Roland gear since I started gigging and have just grown disenchanted. The grass is always greener, etc...

FA was a great board, and it's served me well. The guy I sold it to will get a lot of use out of it, which makes me happy. For what I want, the MODX will cover a lot of things for me.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

MODX7 should be here tomorrow.

However, tomorrow night my wife and I are going to Finland for a week to celebrate our anniversary...think I'll be able to bring the keyboard? :D

Buy flowers and serenade her and tell how much you love her! If you do something else that she really likes you may get another keyboard! Wink Wink!

MODX7 arrived this morning. Had a couple of hours with it in between packing for anniversairy trip. Initial thoughts, subject to change;

+/- - The action. At first I hated it. Then I didn't mind it. Then I played a piano patch and hated it again. The dynamics don't sit right on some of the piano patches. Too easy to hit high velocity notes, and trying to play with any subtelty at all leads to notes playing too quietly - that's probably just my technique though. I'll need to create my own patch and tweak some of the velocity settings.

It doesn't feel semi-weighted. Somewhere between the FA-06 and JP50. Thankfully I can control it from my clavinova at home, but if this is going to be my live bread and butter board for pick up gigs I'm going to have to get used to it. It feels like a cheap-mid ranged MIDI controller.

+ CFX piano is nice. Some patches suck, some are very nice, some are outstanding. I like wishy washy wet pianos, smothered in reverb and delay and synth pads. Once I got my head around the effects editing I got some gorgeous sounds. The bosendorfer which is free to download sounded okay. I preferred the CFX. Nord Upright pianos still give me most joy; I should have a lot of fun playing my Electro through the MODX's engine.

+ Synth sounds are fantastic. Some are crazy weird. Going through them all, I found a lot where I thought "I'll never need that." Very deep synth though, as we all know. I didn't get a chance to play around with my own, but just from playing presets I can tell I'll have a lot of fun with this thing.

+ Once I calibrated the touch screen to my own fingers in the settings menu it worked great. Before I did that it was hellish.

+ Even though the interface is reduced compared to the montage, the flexibility with all of the assignable knobs and buttons will be a lot of fun when it comes to playing live. Real time control isn't Nord-like, but with a bit of editing and setting up, it could be. The 4 small knobs can control various parameters at once, and the SuperKnob can control even more. Add to that the MOD wheel, pitch wheel, contorl pedal and faders, and you've a hell of a lot of things you can do to change sounds on the spot. I always wanted a Nord stage/lead because of the morph feature. This is like that on steroids.

- Electro mechanical sounds are crap. I don't care if all of the reviews say they're excellent and are the latest and greatest in Yamaha's sampling technology; compared to my Nord, they sound like ROMpler presets, lacking depth and warmth. Better than Roland's SuperNatural sounds to my ears though. Sure, you can control things like key click and get deep with the editing, but from what I played they just lack a certain realism and warmth that I'm used to. Nord has spoiled me.

Saying that, after playing around I got a usable wurly sound, and with a bit more playing around I could probably get the clav sounding nice and full. I'd love to buy Busch's sounds but just can't afford them atm.

- Organs are obviously not great; initial tone on some of the settings is okay though. The rotary leaves a lot to be desired, and without proper c/v and key click options it was never going to rival a clonewheel. But we all know that.

+ Maybe it's because it's a new keyboard, but I just want to go and play it, which is the most important thing. It's very playable, and there a million different things you could do with it. I can't wait to start programming it for the various gigs I have lined up once I get back, and I'm looking forward to getting lost and creating my own sounds and songs.

I bought it to scratch the itch I had for a dedicated synth, but also to replace my FA-06 and cut my live rig down to a single board (Nord OR MODX, depending on the gig). It seemed like the best compromise board for all of those things. I originally wanted a Nord Stage 3 for that, but just couldn't afford it. Besides, the synth in this thing is 500 x what is in the Nord Stage. If I can get used to the action, I'll probably keep it. If I can't I may replace the MODX7 with the MODX8 and get rid of my clavinova at home. MODX8 with an ELectro on top would be perfect, but the schlep factor would annoy me. Also, as some have said, I can imagine having another board on top of the MODX would be a PITA for navigating on stage.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I'd agree with most of that. As a semi-weighted action, by no means the worst, but if you must play piano from a non-hammer action, there are a number of better ones. And I wouldn't put either Yamaha or Roland in my top tier for EPs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I didn't see it.

Anybody put this on their Modx yet? If so, what do you think? Any issues? Compared to Roland FA?

Seems to take up a bit of user memory though.....220mb?

[video:youtube]

Compared to Roland FA?

That's not the highest bar. ;-)

For Yamaha: 8 backwards operating drawbars is better than none.

For Roland: being able to use a sub out to hook up a better rotary sim.

Keep in mind that that Organimation performance looks like it's eating up 8 instances of polyphony per note. And using straight samples creates phasing issues, though that's kind of nitpicky, it's not going to bother anyone in the audience.

Honestly, for non-critical use, I think you can get by with what's already in the MODX... and if those aren't good enough, my feeling is that these alternate samples won't make the difference, and wouldn't be the best use of limited memory for new waves. (Admittedly, I only listened to that demo with my computer speakers, and I go for more of a "rock" sound that is not evident there.)

For a free reworking using no additional samples, check this out...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

+/- - The action. At first I hated it. Then I didn't mind it. Then I played a piano patch and hated it again. The dynamics don't sit right on some of the piano patches. Too easy to hit high velocity notes, and trying to play with any subtelty at all leads to notes playing too quietly - that's probably just my technique though. I'll need to create my own patch and tweak some of the velocity settings.

+ Synth sounds are fantastic. Some are crazy weird. Going through them all, I found a lot where I thought "I'll never need that." Very deep synth though, as we all know. I didn't get a chance to play around with my own, but just from playing presets I can tell I'll have a lot of fun with this thing.

+ Maybe it's because it's a new keyboard, but I just want to go and play it, which is the most important thing. It's very playable, and there a million different things you could do with it. I can't wait to start programming it for the various gigs I have lined up once I get back, and I'm looking forward to getting lost and creating my own sounds and songs.

I bought it to scratch the itch I had for a dedicated synth, but also to replace my FA-06 and cut my live rig down to a single board (Nord OR MODX, depending on the gig). It seemed like the best compromise board for all of those things. I originally wanted a Nord Stage 3 for that, but just couldn't afford it. Besides, the synth in this thing is 500 x what is in the Nord Stage. If I can get used to the action, I'll probably keep it.

Thanks for the review. Will be curious to see your follow up review once you've had it awhile to see how you've adapted, or not, to the action, if Busch's EPs and Organimation make up for lackluster onboard sounds, your ease of navigation for doing what you want with the board, etc.

Was surprised about your comments of it being 500x the synth as the NS3. Being that the MODX only has an FM engine, and that the NS3 has a very capable synth with lots of knobs and dedicated screen and ability to run samples thru the synth engine, I would have thought that the NS3 was 500x the synth as the MODX, esp given the difficulty of programming FM.

Congrats on having a new board you're excited about!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I bought it to scratch the itch I had for a dedicated synth, but also to replace my FA-06 and cut my live rig down to a single board (Nord OR MODX, depending on the gig). It seemed like the best compromise board for all of those things. I originally wanted a Nord Stage 3 for that, but just couldn't afford it. Besides, the synth in this thing is 500 x what is in the Nord Stage. If I can get used to the action, I'll probably keep it.

Thanks for the review. Will be curious to see your follow up review once you've had it awhile to see how you've adapted, or not, to the action, if Busch's EPs and Organimation make up for lackluster onboard sounds, your ease of navigation for doing what you want with the board, etc.

Was surprised about your comments of it being 500x the synth as the NS3. Being that the MODX only has an FM engine, and that the NS3 has a very capable synth with lots of knobs and dedicated screen and ability to run samples thru the synth engine, I would have thought that the NS3 was 500x the synth as the MODX, esp given the difficulty of programming FM.

Congrats on having a new board you're excited about!

RE the synth: it was more the fact that the Yamaha has:

8 arpeggiators vs 2 on the Nord

8 AWM2 + 8 FM parts at once vs 2 synth parts on the Nord

8 operators (or oscillators, basically) per part (8x16 basically) vs 2ish x 2 slots on the Nord

Motion control on the Yamaha (I don't have the required degree in computer engineering and haven't spent enough time with the board to be able to understand this fully yet)

Sequencer (kinda) on the Yamaha

Step sequencing of individual parameters and parts within motion control

Plus a bunch of deeper features that I haven't even scratched the surface of yet. The Yamaha will be able to create soundscapes that the Nord can't do. But the Lead a1 engine probably has a few features that the Yamaha can't quite nail too. Not at all saying the Nord isn't great (would still be my desert island board if I could afford it), but we're talking apples and oranges when comparing the two in terms of synthesis capabilities!

That doesn't mean it's a "better" though - "better" is subjective. Some would say the "better" synth is the one that's able to create music on easier, and others would say "better" means has more features. "500 x the synth" was just a reference to the Yamaha's features.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

EasySounds has two organ libraries for Montage/MODX:

Organ Session - 155MB user waveforms

Live Organ - 128MB user waveforms

I haven't tried either, they sound interesting in demos and are fairly cheap as these things go ... some seem specifically geared more for rock (to my untrained ears)

EasySounds - MODX Premium

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Compared to Roland FA?

That's not the highest bar. ;-)

For Yamaha: 8 backwards operating drawbars is better than none.

For Roland: being able to use a sub out to hook up a better rotary sim.

Keep in mind that that Organimation performance looks like it's eating up 8 instances of polyphony per note. And using straight samples creates phasing issues, though that's kind of nitpicky, it's not going to bother anyone in the audience.

Honestly, for non-critical use, I think you can get by with what's already in the MODX... and if those aren't good enough, my feeling is that these alternate samples won't make the difference, and wouldn't be the best use of limited memory for new waves. (Admittedly, I only listened to that demo with my computer speakers, and I go for more of a "rock" sound that is not evident there.)

For a free reworking using no additional samples, check this out...

several of the preset organs eat 8 elements of poly too, i think. Some are designed to only use a few samples (drawbars) and are more economical in that way.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Was surprised about your comments of it being 500x the synth as the NS3. Being that the MODX only has an FM engine, and that the NS3 has a very capable synth with lots of knobs and dedicated screen and ability to run samples thru the synth engine, I would have thought that the NS3 was 500x the synth as the MODX

Picking up from what N4dr0j said about e MODX having more synth features... yup. Nord has two distinct areas of synth advantage: (1) knobiness, which makes it easier to create synth sounds in advance of performance as well as easier to alter them during performance; and (2) a "virtual analog" engine where the raw waveforms are algorithmically generated rather than being created from samples (something MODX only does in its FM section), which can create different sonic characters/behaviors. But MODX does have a full range of analog-style filter/envelope/modulation controls you can assign to its sounds which include sampld waveforms, and like the Nord, you can process your own samples through them as well.

Motion control on the Yamaha (I don't have the required degree in computer engineering and haven't spent enough time with the board to be able to understand this fully yet)

The SuperKnob aspect of it is conceptually similar to the morph function of the Nord, if that helps.

several of the preset organs eat 8 elements of poly too, i think.

Yes. Maybe more. ;-) Basically, each individual sound you have independent control over takes polyphony. So, as many drawbar controls are provided, and possibly also things like key click or leakage. But as you say, MODX also provides numerous organ patches where sonic components a combined (like a single element that incorporates the sound of multiple drawbars),

Still on anniversary but I had an hour to kill this afternoon while my wife went shopping with my daughter (just to justify the apparent neglect of my wife to the forum!) so I headed to the biggest music store in Helsinki.

Played around on a Montage 7, a Nord HA 88, a Nord SW 73, a bunch of Yamaha 88s and a MODX 6 (yes, I went into a music store to play a keyboard I already own!)

My goal was to compare the keyboard actions so that I could easier decide if I'm keeping the MODX7. Some thoughts:

-Both Nord actions produce the biggest finger-ear connection when it comes to APs and EPs. The synth section on the Nord sounds lovely, but once I sat down at the Montage/MODX I'd forgotten about it. When it comes to synth diversity and warmth, I'm still convinced that Yamaha wins out.

-The Montage 7 played well. Felt like the Jupiter 50 I often play. HOWEVER...it felt much springier than the well played MODX6 that was next to it...

-The MODX, when the keybed is worn in, doesn't feel springy at all. Compared to the FA06 next to it and the tightly sprung Nord SW73, it actually felt like it played piano BETTER than both the Montage and the SW73. It still felt like a cheaper action, but didn't feel like I was being fought against by the keys, which is an issue I had with the Electro 4.

-After playing the MODX for 40 minutes and going back to the Montage, I left with the feeling that while the Montage certainly feels more substantial and well built, the MODX was more satisfying for piano.

-I tried out a MOXF8 and S90. Same actions (almost) as the MODX8. Feeling wa that while I would especially like the MODX8 for piano playing, i didn't connect as well with the synth and organ sounds on the weighted action like I did on the MODX. In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.

Considering I already have a weighted Yamaha to sit the MODX on at home, and the fact that a small handful of songs in the bands I'll be playing in will require decent piano playing, I think the MODX7 is the winner for all round band work. Synth bases and pads, which the MODX excels at, didn't feel as alive coming from the weighted actions as they did on the MODX6 in store.

As a side note, I dunno why all the organ preset patches in the MODX have "Rotary 1" as their default rotary speaker. I changed the rotary effect to "Rotary 2" and got much better results. I stand by my comment that the base organ tone is pretty nice. CV and percussion was assigned to switches and knobs on a lot of the tones I previewed. For cover band work that isn't organ based, my opinion is that the MODX is more than good enough. I fact, I'd argue with a bit of tweaking it can sound pretty good - providing you aren't an organ player or someone who rides the drawbars a lot.

Will give another mini review once I'm home and have had more time with my own unit! I have 7 days once I'm home to decide whether I want to keep it or not.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Another nice report.

I tried out a MOXF8 and S90. Same actions (almost) as the MODX8.

MOXF8, yes (both are GHS). S90 is different (BHE), it should feel more like the Montage 8.

Thoughts after spending 3 full days programming sounds for next week's gig;

+Action is plenty good once you get used to it. I have it hooked up to my Clavinova but I hardly touched the weighted keys.

+Sounds are stellar. While there aren't as many bread and butter synth tones as the FA, I haven't yet been stuck for anything. Just took a bit more digging and programming.

+I'm new to Yamaha, and the workflow is a PITA atm. Am slowly getting used to assigning stuff to small knobs then the SuperKnob, and working things out. Complex songs take a long time to programme...but it's worth it. The complexity of the setups you can make, along with the real time control blows the Roland away. I'm able to do things on this keyboard live that the Roland couldn't even get close to. Like Nick Semrad said, if you're clever you can get effects and things that would normally be restricted to a studio recording to come out in live playing.

-The "16 tones" at once thing was a bit misleading, since you can only have 8 parts playing from the keyboard at any one time. HOWEVER, this forced me to start editing at the element level, and with 8 elements per part holy crap this is a deep keyboard. I can have splits and layers, even different sounds playing at once while using only one part. Once I started editing elements the 8 parts at once thing became a non-issue.

+I haven't even plugged my Nord in since I got home. The APs and EPs are growing on me. I'm picky about organ sounds, but am getting some nice results with the MODX.

I think I'll be keeping this. It's such a fun, versatile and inspiring keyboard. I'm already used to playing piano on the keys already. To echo what others have said, having this much sonic power in something so small and light is crazy.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

The complexity of the setups you can make, along with the real time control blows the Roland away. I'm able to do things on this keyboard live that the Roland couldn't even get close to. Like Nick Semrad said, if you're clever you can get effects and things that would normally be restricted to a studio recording to come out in live playing.

this forced me to start editing at the element level, and with 8 elements per part holy crap this is a deep keyboard. I can have splits and layers, even different sounds playing at once while using only one part. Once I started editing elements the 8 parts at once thing became a non-issue.

Element-level editing probably already puts you beyond the tweaking experience of most MODX/Montage/Motif owners!

In terms of sample-based sounds, I'd say the MODX does give you more to work with than the FA... 12 parts (8 keyboard playable) of 2 effects each, vs. 16 tones of 1 effect each (the Montage gives you 16 parts of 2 effects each); and each MODX Part has 8 elements, vs. each Roland Tone having 4 partials. (I think.)

The complexity of the setups you can make, along with the real time control blows the Roland away. I'm able to do things on this keyboard live that the Roland couldn't even get close to. Like Nick Semrad said, if you're clever you can get effects and things that would normally be restricted to a studio recording to come out in live playing.

this forced me to start editing at the element level, and with 8 elements per part holy crap this is a deep keyboard. I can have splits and layers, even different sounds playing at once while using only one part. Once I started editing elements the 8 parts at once thing became a non-issue.

Element-level editing probably already puts you beyond the tweaking experience of most MODX/Montage/Motif owners!

In terms of sample-based sounds, I'd say he MODX does give you more to work with than the FA... 12 parts (8 keyboard playable) of 2 effects each, vs. 16 tones of 1 effect each (the Montage gives you 16 parts of 2 effects each), and each MODX Part has 8 elements, vs. each Roland Tone having 4 partials. (I think.)

I was creating mult-sound Voices in my XF and MOXF days to stay in Performance mode (4 parts). You have to learn element level programming to truly sculpt sounds in any of those Yamaha boards - only so much tweaking can be done at the Part (Voice) level.

The one main drawback is you have the same two effects on all of the 8 elements. You can turn them on or off for elements, but you cant select a diff pair. 8 parts should be enough in most cases to accommodate live play though. 2 hands .. 8 parts ... enough for me. I havent used more than 5 parts on a live song yet.

Hmmmm..... each part with 8 elements?

Personally, I prefer the Korg structure, with each part having 2 elements, it's altogether a faster, simpler structure to work with.

Not only do you have more control over fx, you can mix and match parts much more easily.

Like anything, there's advantages to 2 elements vs 8 elements per part, and like N4dr0j says, there's wicked cool things you can accomplish if you're willing to put in the time.

But once you've done in-depth 8 element design, your building blocks, parts, are very specific, whereas 2 element design is much more open ended.

That said, the MODX7 is at the top of my list of boards I'd consider if I decided to go without built-in speakers, the value and sheer power is pretty unbeatable. And, being a Yamaha, it probably will have the largest user base out there, which means more 3d party sounds, which means I wouldn't have to go to far into the deep end!

N4dr0j, are you using the John Melas librarian/editor/sample manager program? Well worth the money if you're really digging deep, it's super well done, had it when I had my XS7.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Hmmmm..... each part with 8 elements?

Personally, I prefer the Korg structure, with each part having 2 elements, it's altogether a faster, simpler structure to work with.

I believe Korg can have 2 oscillators in each part (program), but each oscillator can have 4 multisamples (their equivalent to elements). If you could really only have two "elements" in a part, you'd be quite limited in velocity switching. You need at least three to get even to the level of a Kurzweil triple strike. ;-)

FA-07 keys feel a bit more substantial IIRC, but MODX keys feel more even from front to back. I wouldn't really want to play piano from either one of them if I could avoid it. Even as non-hammer actions go, others are better, IMO.