Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Free Steely Dan charts and other Goodies!

Was looking on line for some Dan material and came across this great UK site with free download PDFs.

http://www.grantobrien.co.uk/samples/piano-based-transcriptions

Seems that the Hal Leonard books are not great on accuracy but these charts are top pro-job.

Also some Jaco/Weather Report tunes not in the fake books and five or so piano transcriptions from Donald Fagan's Nightfly including fullscore of Between the Raindrops inc. seperate parts for synth/lead guitar/drums and conga!

Hope this 'aint "old news"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks SO much for posting this. One of my bands is a SD band. I have learned all the tunes we play quite well without much in the way of charts but there are still tunes we haven't tackled yet. I will definitely check these out.

It also looks like there's some nice material for my fusion band.

Thanks again!

Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons

Never mind all that stuff, you get the music to this too!

[video:youtube]

Have you tried the Yamaha music soft site? I have Maxine, Nightfly, Black Cow, IGE, New Frontier, Aja, Deacon Blues, Ruby, and those Midi's sound really good as instrumentals without Fagans incredible voice . :D The other day someone about shocked me, requesting Deacon, and was she happy mouthing the words, an all.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Thanks!

I never played along with the record to "Hey Nineteen," but I always liked that tune and it was fun to see a little cheat sheet of it. Nice to have another tune to tuck in the membrane if there's ever an excuse to play it.

In my case the membrane is an iPad running iGigBooks. The transcriptions went immediately there.

Thanks!

I never played along with the record to "Hey Nineteen," but I always liked that tune and it was fun to see a little cheat sheet of it. Nice to have another tune to tuck in the membrane if there's ever an excuse to play it.

In my case the membrane is an iPad running iGigBooks. The transcriptions went immediately there.

I was able to open the link on my iPad and load the charts straight into ForScore. Thanks so much for posting this! :thu:

><>

Steve

Have you tried the Yamaha music soft site? I have Maxine, Nightfly, Black Cow, IGE, New Frontier, Aja, Deacon Blues, Ruby, and those Midi's sound really good as instrumentals without Fagans incredible voice . :D The other day someone about shocked me, requesting Deacon, and was she happy mouthing the words, an all.

I'm almost afraid to ask, misterT, but are you that faymous guy who annadounced the band on the rode way back when and you were actually a semi truck driveeeer for thee rode crew an they let yoo up on the bayand stayand to inrodooooce the mister wonerful ban leeder?

Yoo no... missah wonerful.... Mister Steely Dan Whateveh?

Don never new what became of him but it was the funny est ever thing ever!!

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I downloaded most of these. Thanks for posting. I clicked open the "Secret Minute By Minute" intro thinking the mysteries of the universe would be answered, played through, and discovered, "Oh. Pretty much the exact thing I always thought."

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I'm almost afraid to ask, misterT, but are you that faymous guy who annadounced the band on the rode way back when and you were actually a semi truck driveeeer for thee rode crew an they let yoo up on the bayand stayand to inrodooooce the mister wonerful ban leeder?

Don never new what became of you but it was the funny est ever thing ever!!

WTF? :freak:

Maybe this will help

Maybe this will help

Oooooooooooooh. That guy.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I've always enjoyed Larry Goldings' solo on "Mean Old Man." Now I'm just in awe.

The key, the chord structure, the voicings, the style... I am so not worthy.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

• 2 years later...
I referred to the SD and Beach Boys transcriptions last year and they are pretty good but had to make quite a few changes to sound more like the recording. I think some of the SD chords are overly-complicated with somewhat different chords than I hear on the recorded versions. Some of the "God Only Knows" transcription is a bit convoluted. I've heard a few different mixes of that song with different instrument combinations being more or less prominent so it may difficult to do a definitive transcription.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I made transcriptions of the horn parts for Deacon Blues and Home At Last a few years ago - 5 individual horn parts for each. I also transcribed a keys part for Home At Last.

There may have been more than 5 parts at some places in Deacon Blues, but at a certain point I needed to stop - this was for a School of Rock show that my son was in.

Picking out the individual horn parts for Deacon Blues and Home At Last was probably the most difficult such exercise I have ever done.

My classic rock covers band does Peg, Hey Nineteen, Reelin In The Years, and Pretzel Logic (title track)... and looking to add more Dan.

We don't rely on charts, as most bandmembers don't read them... but all are great musicians. We work out the parts by ear at home, then work out the arrangements and correct any harmonic errors in the rehearsal room. Our lead guitarist has the Jay Graydon solo on Peg down good.

Great band. Have been a huge fan since mid/late 70s. Love playing those tunes!

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M