Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What older keys players should say to younger keys players

.... even if you want to hire a pretty female singer, keep in mind to some of us (like me), looks dont really matter, you may find you hate her.

Lucky you, have always faulted myself and others for being so beauty swayed.

But when it comes to female singers, they have more than their looks to charm- I find myself falling for female singers with amazing voices though of course good looks plays into that enchantment!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you mean the wrists/forearms and elbows are flat?

I've always assumed that was the optimum position. That's what the kinesiologists always recommend for computer keyboards anyway.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

But the one thing I really learned from Albert was that its not just about your FINGERS but that your WRISTS are level with the keys so that ALL hand and arm muscles can be properly engaged.

This is excellent, I've often wondered about the height of my hands relative to the keybed, and this makes a ton of sense. Though there's also the question of the height of the elbow relative to the wrist/hand.

the elbows take care of themselves. let then fall naturally once you alingn the hands properly.

the elbows are neither pulled in nor winged out

I didn't mean the elbows going in or out, I meant up or down. The wrists can be relatively flat, and the elbows up or down in relation to the wrists.

Perhaps you mean the wrists/forearms and elbows are flat?

yes

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Advice for younger keys players: pay attention to even younger keys players. What are they listening to? How? What gear are they interested in? How are they communicating? How are they learning?

I've herad current working producers and players share this advice a number of times. They all start nodding with each other when it comes up.

The world is changing fast, yes. Artists have always been inspired by the youth :)

Not all young people are smart, but some are friggin briliant. Most great discoveries are made by the under 30 people (though the old guys sometimes steal the credit} ;)

My goal is to stay as young as I can and learn from the truly young. ;)

What's next?

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Advice for younger keys players: pay attention to even younger keys players. What are they listening to? How? What gear are they interested in? How are they communicating? How are they learning?

I've herad current working producers and players share this advice a number of times. They all start nodding with each other when it comes up.

The world is changing fast, yes. Artists have always been inspired by the youth :)

Not all young people are smart, but some are friggin briliant. Most great discoveries are made by the under 30 people (though the old guys sometimes steal the credit} ;)

My goal is to stay as young as I can and learn from the truly young. ;)

What's next?

My accountant agrees with you (and needs to be changed)

abd069158bc47413dbb64af692fc55e4-e1465882725601.jpg

Speaking of logic...

How did you get from "...one consideration to take into account is..."

to

"...none of us should ever take the advice of our elders."

My point, which I tried to make clearly, was that the elder should consider his target audience when giving advice.

And my point, which I didn't make clearly, is to consider the practicality of the advice you're giving and whether it's likely to be received and implemented. Buying good gear which will last a long time, yes. Don't be in bands with people you hate, sure. Don't try to bed the hot chick singer - well, that's probably not gonna be heard.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

1) Learn to keep a solid practice routine that actually works.

2) Ear training

4) Ear training

6) Did I say ear training?

Yeah.

I would say try to be better than the bassist at ... what's that? Ear training. Bass players know how, so you should too,

I would add:

(i) Beg, borrow, or steal ONE good instrument. Use it.

(ii) If not, go get the next best. Use it.

(iii) Rinse, repeat.

(iv) Write it down. Pencil and paper. Trust me: you'll forget it after a year or two.

Horowitz had a master technician from the Steinway Artist division regulate his personal Steinway piano to his touch. The action he preferred was very sensitive and he toured with that piano. One should be careful citing Horowitz as an example of proper hand positioning.

Aha, I knew I would find vindication for my preference for light action... I just knew I wasn't a light weight. (Said in jest, boi s... It's a joke, ok. I suck at the piano. )

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I commented on the Facebook post about this, that the age of the advice giver and recipient shouldn't matter. If a younger keyboard player is better than me and is going to give me advice on something that will help me get better, I'm going to listen. Just because someone is old doesn't mean they are worthy of giving advice. That's my advice, coming from an old guy! :)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

If a younger keyboard player is better than me and is going to give me advice on something that will help me get better, I'm going to listen. Just because someone is old doesn't mean they are worthy of giving advice. That's my advice, coming from an old guy! :)

So true. Im sure must of us could learn a thing or two from a child like Joey Alexander!

And always answer the question "What keyboard should I buy?" with:

Nord Lead!

What synth was used for the solo on "Lucky Man"? Nord Lead

I want to learn Hammond Organ, what should I buy? Nord Lead

Was that a Rhodes or a Wurlitzer on Supertramp records? Nord Lead

What's the best keyboard amp out there? Nord Lead

Anybody want a beer? Nord Lead

:cheers:

Take a shot early in life young keys player! The upsides dwarf the downsides, and if you don't make it, you will still have the immense rewards of the journey. And later, when you become an older keys player, you will feel fulfilled for having taken a shot.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• 2 years later...
Be careful, musicians are passive-agressive and often emotionally immature people

Oh well I'll just go and give up my dreams and be miserable then. Mummy always said I was no good anyway - at least now you've confirmed she was right.

Thanks.

:)

Pro tip: In general, younger keyboard players don't give a shit what any of us think.

For whatever it's worth, I haven't found this to be the case that much.

Hard to tell on the interwebz if there is any tongue in cheek in your comment, Michael. But when I run into younger KB players (mostly, at jam sessions and similar where everyone gets to hear each other play), younger players in general seem to care a LOT about what older players think. Maybe its just the setting, and that's not the ordinary.

Pro tip: In general, younger keyboard players don't give a shit what any of us think.

In my experience (and this has been happening a lot since reopening with both young musicians and DJs) what they want to know about - almost exclusively - is the inner workings of the local club scene: who's hiring, who's booking, and how to get in.

And that's it.

Get a Degree in Business.

Nothing to do with music or keyboards, it can be applied to any field of endeavor and will not go out of style.

As for younger keyboard players, I would tell them to buy a guitar and learn it to some extent but if they want gigs buy a bass and learn to sing and play bass simultaneously.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Weird, I thought I'd posted this when this thread first came around, but I don't see it. Also, some names I haven't seen in a while. Where is Wastrel? And dare I ask lest it summons him, Beetlejuice-style: what became of I-Miss-Richard-Tee?

Anyhoo: If you're a young player, listen to old music. If you're an old player, listen to new music. Do this (on both ends of your career) and you can always work.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

some names I haven't seen in a while. Where is Wastrel? And dare I ask lest it summons him, Beetlejuice-style: what became of I-Miss-Richard-Tee?

I don't know how I stumbled into this thread (the old/young thing is getting... well, old) but glad I did (to read this comment). I've been wondering this myself. There have been a few regulars MIA this past year.

Here for the gear.