Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

Fast. (Is there any non-hammer action that has ever been considered sluggish?)

I find the PC3 sluggish.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Hmm, I wish you asked me when they were both sitting within reach downstairs. But Id say it compared quite favorably. Both were great for organ and synth playing.

Uh huh. It's not a bad action at all, esp for synth/organ... but it's obviously not a piano action, so you have to temper your expectations. It's better for piano than many other non-hammer actions are, but that can be interpreted as damning with faint praise. I find it decently playable, though.

Unfortunately the 2X organ is weak and the synths are limited

Yes, I had been thinking about whether to ditch my Numa Compact 2 for a 2X, but I think I'll just stick with the 2. The NC2 organ presets are good enough for when I just need some basic organ sounds, while the additional NC2X organ functionality is still not good enough to make me happy if I need something better. Same with the synth sounds... the NC2 has some decent basic common synth sounds. The NC2X synth is still too limited to serve me well if I need something more, especially with no mono mode or portamento. Having the 9 sliders for control of an external module or iPad app is cool, but I think I'd rather use my old NanoKontrol which gives me 9 sliders plus a whole bunch of knobs and buttons. If I didn't already have the 2, I'd probably spring for the 2X... it's not that much more $, and it's nicer to have that stuff "in case" than not. The ability to quickly dial in dozens of definitions for those 9 sliders, and to use those sliders (to one extent or another) on all the board's sounds, are nice perks. But since I already have the 2, the 2X is not sufficiently compelling to bother selling the one to get the other. Maybe if I come across one really cheap some time.

Fast. (Is there any non-hammer action that has ever been considered sluggish?)

I find the PC3 sluggish.

Hmmph. Same action as the Artis 7. With the stock springs, I felt it pushed up too strongly against your fingers, but I didn't feel it was sluggish (i.e. keys not returning quickly enough). I put in lower tension springs and really like the feel now. And noticeably better than the Numa Compact 2.

So getting back on topic, the Numa keys aren't great, but they're not bad (and they're better than the low end Roland and Korg actions). A little springy feeling. and the black keys in particular are noticebly shorter than (for example) the Kurzweil's, with a smaller percentage of the key playable before resistance greatly increases as you move toward the rear (but again, not as bad as some others).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you want a 15 lb nord 4 for 650, don't get this.

But if you want a sweet, self contained thing you won't hestate to take anywhere, it's pretty good.

I've had mine a couple weeks.

In this age of features, it's easy to come up with features not on the keyboard, or different layouts. Id rather loose one octave, and have some keys like my hammond which are short but sensitive all the way up. We should all give fatar a hard time about this. In 2019 nothing is faster than a Hammond keybed! The real reason is the hinge is actually way in there, and that plastic is fantastic.

There are better organs, but it's fine for practice or anytime you don't want to hassle with laptops etc. The Leslie and modualtion are simple, but fine. Way better than those organ presets everybody throws in, and drawbars are excellent. Like a real hammond, it makes a big variety of sounds. The variety in the tunings they give show it right off, but no, it's not Hammond or the best clone. It's very fun and easy to use, though.

If you have a tonewheel you know there are lots of ways to make them sound bad too ;)

The pianos...if you own a real piano, you know all digital pianos suck. You can make the Numa 2x sound pretty decent in context.

I grabbed a pair of the IK iloud micro monitors and they sound great with the numa. I just ordered a DieHard 71688 which will power the whole rig and a fan for many hours.

I also have a Nekatar t4 with a more hammond like keybed and outstanding sensitivity, but it's also stiffer when your thumb goes up on the black keys.

The TP/9 is nice when you are further out, and the aftertouch is quite usable.

Yes, it would be good to have a few extra buttons for faster preset loading, octave switching, and for that matter a sequencer.

But for a whip it out and jam rig, fine for camping, I like it :)

(and my old SL-880 is plugged in right underneath, very happy. Off-white TP/30 hammers...oh yes. Bought it new in the late 80s, still great...and controversial LOL)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

But if you want a sweet, self contained thing you won't hestate to take anywhere, it's pretty good.

In this age of features, it's easy to come up with features not on the keyboard, or different layouts. Id rather loose one octave, and have some keys like my hammond which are short but sensitive all the way up. We should all give fatar a hard time about this. In 2019 nothing is faster than a Hammond keybed! The real reason is the hinge is actually way in there, and that plastic is fantastic.

There are better organs, but it's fine for practice or anytime you don't want to hassle with laptops etc. The Leslie and modualtion are simple, but fine.

The pianos...if you own a real piano, you know all digital pianos suck. You can make the Numa 2x sound pretty decent in context.

I grabbed a pair of the IK iloud micro monitors and they sound great with the numa. I just ordered a DieHard 71688 which will power the whole rig and a fan for many hours.

I also have a Nekatar t4 with a more hammond like keybed and outstanding sensitivity, but it's also stiffer when your thumb goes up on the black keys.

Yes, it would be good to have a few extra buttons for faster preset loading, octave swithing, and for that matter a sequencer.

(and my old SL-880 is plugged in right underneath, very happy. Off-white TP/30 hammers...oh yes. Bought it new in the late 80s, still great...and controversial LOL)

Have you got yourself a MacBook with MainStage? Whats your opinion on the MIDI implementation and are there enough sliders, buttons, switches, etc. that can be mapped to service well as a controller too?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

There are better organs, but it's fine for practice or anytime you don't want to hassle with laptops etc. The Leslie and modualtion are simple, but fine.

Yes, it would be good to have a few extra buttons for faster preset loading, octave swithing, and for that matter a sequencer.

Have you got yourself a MacBook with MainStage? Whats your opinion on the MIDI implementation and are there enough sliders, buttons, switches, etc. that can be mapped to service well as a controller too?

I have Logic X, but not mainstage...yet. The midi mapping is deep, but I have not checked all the buttons. If paired with something small and juicy like the new Behringer M-101, I think every base woud be covered. My plan is to grab one of those.

Picking a main controller is very tricky, since there are so many variables. These days you want a CV/gate controller somwhere, or you will miss out on some serious new fun. The Numa does not have CV/gate. The M-101 does, and a great sequencer and midi of course. They will run about 300 in mid-march.

The Dawless age is upon us, and I'm all for it :) If it works LOL

it would be good to have a few extra buttons for faster preset loading, octave switching, and for that matter a sequencer.

Preset loading: One of the things that has always irritated me about the Compacts is that there's no way to repurpose the 8 (or what used to be 10) sound select buttons to be any kind of patch recall buttons. But at least you can also recall your patches via MIDI (including by smartphone), which gives it a leg up on some other boards (looking at you, VR09).

Octave switching: Yeah, could be better, but not too bad. Edit button, and knob rotate to the fourth screen, and you can octave switch either of your two sounds independently, which is cool. Plus at least on an an 88, you don't have to octave shift as often as you do on smaller boards.

Sequencer: Nah. Everything about the board is built to be, well, compact. Do you really want to manipulate a sequencer through a two inch screen?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Whats your opinion on the MIDI implementation and are there enough sliders, buttons, switches, etc. that can be mapped to service well as a controller too?

An earlier post said no buttons or knobs, just the 9 sliders. Though it has aftertouch, which is nice. And you can always add more sliders/buttons with something like a NanoKontrol.

I just ordered a DieHard 71688 which will power the whole rig and a fan for many hours.

Keep us posted on how that works out. I was reading the Amazon reviews, which went to both extremes. . . Either Works great - best thing I ever bought! or Doesnt work/stopped working/dont buy! The yeas outnumbered the nays but that would make me a bit nervous.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

An earlier post said no buttons or knobs, just the 9 sliders. Though it has aftertouch, which is nice. And you can always add more sliders/buttons with something like a NanoKontrol.

A couple of knobs worked that you wouldnt expect. Bass and treble controls, I think it was.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Whats your opinion on the MIDI implementation and are there enough sliders, buttons, switches, etc. that can be mapped to service well as a controller too?

If you download the manual, scroll to the end, past the italian and move to "91" and onward. It seems to indicate FX 1, 2 and Reverb rotaries are transmitted, and also the select buttons which can be in the number of optional postions which you see on the console.

IE: "reverb change" "yes" (transmit) "0=bypass, 1=room, 2=hall, 3=plate, 4=spring"

But perhaps this is simply the info to control the internal Numa functions from a seperate controller.

Typical studiologic cryptic info, reminds me of the old SL-880 manual LOL. Obviously the info is incomplete. Up higher there are blank entries which say "yes" in the send category. That makes me think the organ modulation and percussion buttons will also send, but on fixed channels and settings....

I do see the way to program the sliders, but not knobs or buttons. VIA USB there are the numa has two seperate MIDI interfaces "keyboard" and "controller" But using MIDI out it becomes the "controller" only.

• 3 weeks later...

A few more impressions now that I've had it awhile. I just watched Dr Jedd's review, which I very much enjoyed.

I'm liking the board, but no doubt it's quirky LOL. No plans to return or sell it. I play it everyday, along with several other keyboards.

The 2X gives you a whiff of what is possible right now. In my dreams, it gets cut in half and layered: 15LB dual manual.

The TP/9 bed is 20% oversprung to my taste. If I can ever source lighter springs, I will replace them. That leaves the short hinge. TIme for Fatar to step up and extend the keys deeper to push the hinge further away, Would add little weight. Top 20% of each key is so stiff and top 5% is unplayable. In context of synth boards, it's good, compared to real hammond, not good. Jedd loved it, so what do I know?

Power: USB won't drive speakers (we know), but the board is plenty hot to drive Senn HD 650s without preamp on USB to the point of ear damage. So ultra light you grab:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVD2XFW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and use your headphones. It will run a long time, and sounds very good. Powered from laptop you can also input sound to phones without power adapter. I can't get it run from my phone with the adapter I have, but maybe a different one, or ipad would do the same.

This:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07776PVH5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs the board and any speakers you want for at least 4 hours, probably much longer. I pounded with layers and chords at volume, No problem.

That thing is heavy though, I think there are lighter ones that would do the same thing.

Jedd is right on: you need to tweak for really good sound at times. But it's in there; except the upright, like he says, nobody comes close to real one.

Far far from perfect, but I do really enjoy this keyboard, and as I learn it better finding those sweet spots gets easier. Layering (as opposed to splitting) makes for some rich keyboard tones. The Wurly is good, and there are lots of combos which really come to life. I like the tenor sax alot. Jedd woke me to the vibes. Obviously the splits are great with the organ and other combos. There is alot of variety, and mixing is very easy. Soon I'll see if I can get the Nektar T4 running a 3rd part, and moving the drawbars, etc.

The drive is very strange as noted. It needs a firmware fix. I was playing some gospel, and single note I dialed it to really sound good. But with a two note chord, same setting, way over distorted.

If SL cares, they will do like some of the good makers, quite a few lately, and give us a serious update. And offer a lighter set of springs :)

I do have a DM12 on the way for a synth fix, and I hear some very cool handmade patches (with YT tutorial) for organ, piano, E Piano etc. I will see how the 2x controls that board :)

If Behringer would put some of that synth cloning attitude into a ultralight clonewheel with Hammond like keys......Nord might really have something to fear LOL

But for the moment, the 2CX is a unique product with a lonely niche. Nothing else checks the same set of boxes. More finish from SL, and a little cut/paste, they could produce a real gamechanger. Whether or not that happens, I'm grateful for what they have accomplished so far, honestly.

I'm far from perfect, myself ;)

That leaves the short hinge. TIme for Fatar to step up and extend the keys deeper to push the hinge further away

Fatar has that in the TP8, which I believe is essentially their step up from the TP9.

Intriguing / annoying MIDI challenge on the C2x while playing ORGAN sounds using a GLOBAL VELOCITY CURVE:

I am having some (GOOD) growing pains with my brand new STUDIOLOGIC NUMA COMPACT 2x. I love it, used primarily as a controller, not the internal sounds. I haven't put on enough miles for a review yet.

The FATAR TP9-Piano is EXCELLENT for MIDI-triggered Dexibell piano. I have scrawny thin fingers and HATE real piano hammer action. For me, the keyboard-piano sound connection between the C2x action and my Dexibell SX7 module is very strong: I have full range of expressiveness from soft "piano" to loud "forte." I am using the NORMAL velocity curve from the NUMA C2x.

A strange thing happened while playing the VB3-II organ sounds through my GSI GEMINI. Occasionally, notes don't sound on fully depressed keys (frequently Bb in 2 different octaves). I caught onto it, and kept the naughty notes held - NO SOUND WHATEVER when I let all the other keys go.

THE ANNOYING PROBLEM: By depressing the notes very slowly (so, key velocity approaching ZERO), of course piano notes would be extremely soft or would not sound. HOWEVER, Playing organ, you expect all-or-nothing response from every key: However softly you depress the keys, of course you should hear a note triggered. But with a velocity of Zero with weak or slow key depression, NO NOTE IS TRIGGERED - not good news for the organist or synth player.

THE ANNOYING WORKAROUND: Do I have to reset the GLOBAL VELOCITY CURVE to "Fixed Velocity" every time I switch from piano to organ sounds ??

Annoying because none of my other MIDI keyboard controllers have this naughty behavior with internal OR MIDI triggering of Organ sounds.

REAL SOLUTION: I will contact Studiologic: Maybe a) the velocity curve could be set PER PROGRAM rather than only globally, so you could make a program or MIDI controller program changing to Fixed velocity for Organ; and assign one of the velocity curves for a piano or piano-triggering setup, etc. b) Alternately, the velocity curve could begin at a low value like 1 or 2 instead of at zero.

Also posting this separately as a MIDI problem.

How do you call up one of the 99 User slots over MIDI? Do you have to dedicate a MIDI channel to this?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Intriguing / annoying MIDI challenge on the C2x while playing ORGAN sounds using a GLOBAL VELOCITY CURVE:

I am having some (GOOD) growing pains with my brand new STUDIOLOGIC NUMA COMPACT 2x. I love it, used primarily as a controller, not the internal sounds. I haven't put on enough miles for a review yet.

The FATAR TP9-Piano is EXCELLENT for MIDI-triggered Dexibell piano. I have scrawny thin fingers and HATE real piano hammer action. For me, the keyboard-piano sound connection between the C2x action and my Dexibell SX7 module is very strong: I have full range of expressiveness from soft "piano" to loud "forte." I am using the NORMAL velocity curve from the NUMA C2x.

A strange thing happened while playing the VB3-II organ sounds through my GSI GEMINI. Occasionally, notes don't sound on fully depressed keys (frequently Bb in 2 different octaves). I caught onto it, and kept the naughty notes held - NO SOUND WHATEVER when I let all the other keys go.

THE ANNOYING PROBLEM: By depressing the notes very slowly (so, key velocity approaching ZERO), of course piano notes would be extremely soft or would not sound. HOWEVER, Playing organ, you expect all-or-nothing response from every key: However softly you depress the keys, of course you should hear a note triggered. But with a velocity of Zero with weak or slow key depression, NO NOTE IS TRIGGERED - not good news for the organist or synth player.

THE ANNOYING WORKAROUND: Do I have to reset the GLOBAL VELOCITY CURVE to "Fixed Velocity" every time I switch from piano to organ sounds ??

Annoying because none of my other MIDI keyboard controllers have this naughty behavior with internal OR MIDI triggering of Organ sounds.

REAL SOLUTION: I will contact Studiologic: Maybe a) the velocity curve could be set PER PROGRAM rather than only globally, so you could make a program or MIDI controller program changing to Fixed velocity for Organ; and assign one of the velocity curves for a piano or piano-triggering setup, etc. b) Alternately, the velocity curve could begin at a low value like 1 or 2 instead of at zero.

Also posting this separately as a MIDI problem.

Love your name, it describes what I do, but with a Physis K4.

Im hoping the C2X gets more Controller features added so I can use a pair.

Might even keep some of the sound but dont need them. Ive got hardware and a PC and have had the sounds I want for a while now.

I need a 2nd rig ready to act as a spare or use for rehearsals while gigging on the other.

2 of these are much cheaper than a 2nd Physis K4.

Hope they add real velocity curve options per performance.

Fixed at 127 on a particular zone whole linear and algorithmic options on remaining zones is crucial.

Thanks for the share

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

How do you call up one of the 99 User slots over MIDI? Do you have to dedicate a MIDI channel to this?

From what I can see in the manual, it looks like you use channel 16 to call up the 99 programs, and you can also use channels 1 through 4 to individually change the sounds for its 4 MIDI addressable parts (only the first two of which can be played from the keyboard).

From what I can see in the manual, it looks like you use channel 16 to call up the 99 programs, and you can also use channels 1 through 4 to individually change the sounds for its 4 MIDI addressable parts (only the first two of which can be played from the keyboard).

Where did you find that? Ive been searching this: https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numa_compact2x/downloads/NumaCompact2x-Manual_EN-IT.pdf

So, do you need to send a CC#00 command on channel 16, along with the Prgm Ch? What do you get by sending CC#00/PrgmCh#06? Do you get Program #5? And it has to be Channel 16? Id like to change that.

Thanks!

page 81

So, do you need to send a CC#00 command on channel 16, along with the Prgm Ch? What do you get by sending CC#00/PrgmCh#06? Do you get Program #5? And it has to be Channel 16? Id like to change that.

Since there are fewer than 129 Programs, there's no need for a Bank Change (CC#00) message, there's only one bank.

I do not know off-hand whether Program Change 6 gets you Program 6 or if it's one off from that.

Common channel (what others may call Global channel, Control channel, etc.) is fixed to 16 (and the board's own 4-parts are fixed to channels 1-4). I guess it could be problematic in a rig with other pieces whose channels are also fixed.

I think I can work with that. Its not fixed on the other piece, so I can change that. Thanks Scott.

Kenheeter, have you gotten your SL NC2x DRAWBARS matched up to the Gemini VB3-ii organ yet ? With the NC2x, I now have live drawbar control, makes the Gemini organs a whole new experience. I have mapped the drawbars out to the existing Gemini CC assignment - but just by turning the encoder knob to another program (99 available), you could make a DIFFERENT drawbar map for another clone, like the HX3. Haven't tried yet, but I intend to try mapping CC changes to the INTEGRA 7 organs, which sound very good except for the lack of drawbars.

Enjoy !

• 2 weeks later...

I found what might be the lightest battery strong enough to power the Numa 2X, including the speakers.

Dimensions: 1.1*3.35*5.7in

Weight is 348 Grams.

It puts out 12v @3amps

$34

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ME3ZH7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tested for about 30 minutes with my phone playing a drum machine into the CX2 via USB and high volume. I was banging out some boogie at the same time, with two layers. Did not even phase the battery.

I'd guess you could play at least 4 hours, and possibly longer.

It comes with a universal tip on the 12v wire. I bought this so I new I would have the right one for the CX2, and it's nice to have some different tips around in this age of numerous gadgets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5F4GW0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The onboard speakers are pretty decent for practice.

BTW my go to practice patch at the moment : DXfm3(phaser only) under E-Grand1 (no effect) layered, no split with equal volume.

• 1 month later...
For those using this to control computer vsts, are you able to use the onboard audio interface or are you still using an external audio interface?

Are you able to control vst volume from the keyboard?

I attached it to my laptop today just to mess around with some vsts. It worked through the 2x's speakers via USB. I just had to do a couple simple options on the PC output and Asio4all. Easy

Yeah but can you send the audio out to external speakers? I feel like I read that the phone jack could be assigned to do that, but Im not sure.

Yes

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Can anyone tell me how to disassemble one of these? I picked up a used one and one key doesn't feel right, and it seems like it could be a physical/mechanical thing, possibly something stuck inside the keyboard, so I'd like to try to get under the keys. There are a bunch of screws on the bottom, and I know it can matter which ones you take out or leave in, or in what order to do things... can anyone give me any tips on this one?