Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2976707 - 02/20/19 12:18 PM Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP...
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
Hey all,

Time is at a premium right now (Iíve got newborns), so Iíve decided to be as mobile and spontaneous as I can. Iím going to pick up a Reface CP for playing on my lap. I actually want mini keys to keep it really small. I looked at a few different instruments, but the Easter egg acoustic piano gave the CP the nudge. Itís a good thing thatís there, as I donít know anyone who would want to play an electric grand absent 80s covers. The Rhodes and Wurlis sound great, though.

The polyphony was too limited on the CS, the DX is a DX (enough said), and Iím not a big combo organ fan (YC). I actually love FM, but I love it like butter: A little goes a long way and I donít want to eat a whole stick of it. It would be limiting as my sole lap instrument.

I know both Roland and Yamaha are going retro/reissue with these boutique instruments, but I really wish they offered a ďYMĒ (Reface Motif). In other words, an instrument that has a cross section of meat and potatoes sounds, sort of like the Roland GoKeys but smaller. Give me an AP, a couple of EPs, a couple of tonewheel sounds, a string pad or two, some analogish brass, a Moog bass, an electric and acoustic bass, a couple of mono leads, and an acoustic and electronic drum kit. Offer some basic envelope/timbre controls and some built-in effects and youíve got a winner.

Regardless, Iíll enjoy my CP when I canít be in the studio with my normal tools.

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

KC Island
#2976711 - 02/20/19 12:32 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Sundown]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I did it twice. Bought one, returned it, then bought another one.

Only thing I'd recommend is getting a portable speaker, because the Reface's internal speakers rattle the casing when turned up to higher volumes. That's my only issue with it. Otherwise, it's a great little portable practice board. I'm actually disappointed this tech didn't go into the CP73.

PC

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2976720 - 02/20/19 01:27 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Dreamchilde]
NosPup Offline

Loc: NJ
Good choice. I use it exactly the same way. Sitting on the couch with the CP on my lap. I can hang out with the family and still figure out tunes or do some noodling.

Dreamchilde is correct about the rattling. For me, its not a big issue while sitting on the couch, but its definitely noticeable.

I tried the Piano Easter Egg, when it came out, but dont really bother with it much anymore. The EP's and Electric Grand are fine for "lap use".

#2976722 - 02/20/19 01:32 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Sundown]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Sundown
I really wish they offered a ďYMĒ (Reface Motif). In other words, an instrument that has a cross section of meat and potatoes sounds, sort of like the Roland GoKeys but smaller. Give me an AP, a couple of EPs, a couple of tonewheel sounds, a string pad or two, some analogish brass, a Moog bass, an electric and acoustic bass, a couple of mono leads, and an acoustic and electronic drum kit. Offer some basic envelope/timbre controls and some built-in effects and youíve got a winner.

My super-small "do it all" board is a Korg Microstation. It does come in handy.

#2976750 - 02/20/19 04:26 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Sundown]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp

Time is at a premium right now (Iíve got newborns)

Mazel Tov twothumbs
Iím going to pick up a Reface CP for playing on my lap.

Reface CP sounds great. I really like the knobs. I sold mine as it was redundant to my CP4, but for your purpose it should work out great. I want you to spend extra time with the clavinet until you realize that you really like that sound. wink

#2976760 - 02/20/19 05:28 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: davedoerfler]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Mazel Tov twothumbs

Thanks Dave! twothumbs Boy/girl twins are a big change. One of the reasons I want mini keys is to see if they take an interest.

I want you to spend extra time with the clavinet until you realize that you really like that sound. wink

We'll see. laugh I'll need to work on my staccato technique and my dynamics. That's the only way a Hohner comes to life.

#2976765 - 02/20/19 05:55 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Sundown]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Boy/girl twins are a big change.

Also a lot of little changes.

#2976770 - 02/20/19 06:50 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Dreamchilde]
Fleer Offline

Loc: Boston/Cambridge
Originally Posted By: Dreamchilde
I did it twice. Bought one, returned it, then bought another one.

Only thing I'd recommend is getting a portable speaker, because the Reface's internal speakers rattle the casing when turned up to higher volumes. That's my only issue with it. Otherwise, it's a great little portable practice board. I'm actually disappointed this tech didn't go into the CP73.

PC

+1
Meanwhile, loving my mini (Reface) CP.

#2976778 - 02/20/19 07:48 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Fleer]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
Congrats. For a long time, I have been wishing Yamaha would do a full-size 4 octave version....which is enough to do reasonable two hand playing on the couch. It wouldnít be that much bigger. The existing reface CP is just under 21 inches. A full-size 4 octave could be done in just over 27 inches.

In the meantime, I use an IRig Keys I/O 49 with an iPad for this purpose. More flexible but not as convenient.

#2976780 - 02/20/19 08:04 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: AnotherScott]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Also a lot of little changes.

About 5,000/year for ~2 years. laugh

#2976957 - 02/21/19 10:31 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Sundown]
UnderGroundH Offline

Loc: Keratsini, Hellas
I have YC and it's great. I am planning to buy CP soon!
My teacher and his wife use refaces for live use. YC, CP and DX. They are very happy for usability,sound and built quality.
In this video, Irini use 2 reface dx!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-VGti58UTE

Edited by UnderGroundH (02/21/19 10:41 PM)

#2976961 - 02/21/19 11:59 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: davedoerfler]
bennyray Offline
Platinum Member

Time is at a premium right now (Iíve got newborns)

Mazel Tov twothumbs
Iím going to pick up a Reface CP for playing on my lap.

Reface CP sounds great. I really like the knobs. I sold mine as it was redundant to my CP4, but for your purpose it should work out great. I want you to spend extra time with the clavinet until you realize that you really like that sound. wink

Lol ! cheers

#2976978 - 02/22/19 05:27 AM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: UnderGroundH]
pjd Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: UnderGroundH
I have YC and it's great.

Amen! I play a Reface YC at rehearsals. It's great to be able to stroll in like a trumpet player and set up in seconds. Sure, I can't play all of the stuff we do live, but rehearsals are acoustic and I just dial in the appropriate registration.

I once was a mini key hater, but have reformed. :-)

Good luck with the new CP!

-- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-reface-yc-on-the-go/

Edited by pjd (02/22/19 05:27 AM)

#2977388 - 02/24/19 07:58 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: pjd]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

Back ordered... mad

#2977715 - 02/27/19 10:40 AM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Sundown]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I just got an email from Sweetwater that these are back in stock.

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2977766 - 02/27/19 05:08 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Dreamchilde]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Dreamchilde
I just got an email from Sweetwater that these are back in stock.

Thanks! I'll give them a call and see where I'm at in the queue. Hopefully I'll have it soon. I'm jonesing to play, and it's really hard with newborn twins. Sneaking 15-20 minutes here and there would be a godsend.

#2978236 - 03/02/19 02:20 PM Re: Pulling the trigger on a Reface CP... [Re: Sundown]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

I got my ReFace today (CP)...

Itís a fun little board. I never realized how limiting 37-keys can be, though. One more octave would make a big difference. There is of course a slider for transposition, but if youíre in the middle of a phrase, itís a bit tricky.

The onboard speakers are weak (as others noted), but itís to be expected in this price range. With headphones it sounds quite good.

The one thing I wish it had was an adjustable velocity curve. I know thatís a stretch for an instrument in this price range, but they could implement it without additional switches or sliders. They could use a scheme for power-up. If you hold a certain key during power up, it could switch the curve. With my playing style, itís easy to hit full velocity when you donít want to. It will just take some getting used to.

But overall Iím really happy with the purchase. I plan to get an iRig interface to control my iPad, and I bought some of the Korg Legacy Collection to play with. For my current situation this will scratch an itch.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner