Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2976424 - 02/18/19 07:34 PM Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
Reading a thread here on the Gemini module, I googled Guido and found this site in Italian:
https://www.ageofaudio.com/alesis-fusion-di-guido-scognamiglio/

Here is the Google translation

It featured this Fusion.

Was this a prototype? To refresh memories, hereís the spaceship we all know.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

KC Island
#2976435 - 02/18/19 10:24 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: Synthaholic]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I'm sure it was someone wishfully photoshopping the original design with something more boring.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2976437 - 02/18/19 10:34 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: mate stubb]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I'd take the top design in a flash. Call me boring. :-) I like legibility vs. unnecessary distraction.

It rings a bell. Perhaps the Italian market had a different design, based on market research. I have this vague feeling this came up before.

#2976440 - 02/18/19 11:52 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: Mark Schmieder]
elsongs Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Maybe this really was the original design, until Yamaha's lawyers pulled a cease-and-desist on Alesis over copying the Motif's front panel layout.

Edited by elsongs (02/18/19 11:53 PM)

#2976495 - 02/19/19 07:07 AM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: elsongs]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: elsongs
Maybe this really was the original design, until Yamaha's lawyers pulled a cease-and-desist on Alesis over copying the Motif's front panel layout.

So they went with a 1962 Studebaker Hawk dashboard motif?

#2976550 - 02/19/19 01:38 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: Wastrel]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I don't know; it looks a bit more like Korg Triton than Yamaha MOTIF.

#2976552 - 02/19/19 01:40 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: Mark Schmieder]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I thought Triton too, at first.

Are we sure this is an actual photo of a physical unit...not just an old photo job?

#2976588 - 02/19/19 06:14 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: timwat]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

I have no idea, thatís why Iím asking. Itís from that link in the OP. But the article doesnít mention any photo hijinx. The article is also from January 31, 2010, years after the Fusionís release. So either itís a photo job and the article was fooled, or perhaps itís a prototype that Guido got early in the Fusionís development. Does anyone know if he helped with the design?

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2976594 - 02/19/19 06:40 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: Mark Schmieder]
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club

Loc: Indy
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
I'd take the top design in a flash. Call me boring. :-) I like legibility vs. unnecessary distraction.
It looks like a Photoshop job to me, but I agree - even if it's not real, it's a much better design. I don't need my keyboard to look like a sportscar, all flashy and whatnot. I need it to be easy to get around, and I need it to just *work*.

#2976609 - 02/19/19 07:59 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: kanker.]
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Virginia
Sportscar motif notwithstanding, I found the Fusion to be wonderfully laid out, as my arms tend to move in arcs with my shoulders as the pivot points.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2976612 - 02/19/19 09:16 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: Tom Williams]
Fleer Offline

Loc: Boston/Cambridge
Thanks for reminding me Iíve got to start playing my Fusion before it disintegrates.

#2976623 - 02/20/19 04:13 AM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: Fleer]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Fleer
Thanks for reminding me Iíve got to start playing my Fusion before it disintegrates.

I believe thatís called fission.

#2976664 - 02/20/19 08:10 AM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: Synthaholic]
ZioGuido Offline

Originally Posted By: Synthaholic
The article is also from January 31, 2010, years after the Fusionís release.

The original article was published in 2005 on the printed version of an italian magazine when I was one of the reviewers back then. In 2010, years after the magazine publisher went out of business, one of the other reviewers opened that blog and published some of the old articles (you'll find many other reviews all dated Jan 31st, 2010).

I don't know where they got that picture from, but I have never worked with/for Alesis, I just wrote a review of the Fusion.

#2976771 - 02/20/19 06:51 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: ZioGuido]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Mystery semi-solved! Thank you Guido.

#2976773 - 02/20/19 06:56 PM Re: Iíve never seen this style Alesis Fusion [Re: Tom Williams]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Tom Williams
Sportscar motif notwithstanding, I found the Fusion to be wonderfully laid out, as my arms tend to move in arcs with my shoulders as the pivot points.

I agree. It's very easy to do things on the fly, except for Transpose, which I use on a 61-key board. That's a few button pushes and a spin of the dial. Too much. I would send it sys-ex messages but the Fusion has no sys-ex.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner