Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Kofi Burbridge

oh damn. I ran into him many times 2002-6 on the festival circuit.

Good dude and great player!

I had no idea....RIP

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

One of my biggest influences as a keyboard player. As I moved from being mostly a singing pianist into playing Hammond and clav, his work with Derek Trucks just blew my mind. He could step a Hammond up from simmering jazz to screaming blues, make a clavinet wail as much as any guitar, and play piano so expressively and tastefully. He was a genius. And he was too young.

Also, all that, and a master flautist? Too good for us mere mortals.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I was lucky enough to see him with TTB at the Winnipeg Folk Fest in 2012 and then again at the 2017 Bayou Rendezvous at the Howlin' Wolf (NOLA Jazz Fest). He completely stole the show with his incredible musicality at both, but particularly at the Rendezvous. Nigel Hall, Ivan Neville, and Wil Blades were picking their jaws up off the floor like the rest of us. And all he wanted to do was have fun and jam with everyone, you could tell. Magical.

RIP. :(

Eulogy here : https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/kofi-burbridge-rip/

Saw him last summer with TTB. Ended up being his last tour with them.

TTB is playing here in the swamp again tonight, they played last night after finding out about Kofi passing yesterday an hour before showtime according to what I read. In the video below, you can see the band members console one another with their instruments during the parts of Space Captain when Kofi would traditionally take his solos.

[video:youtube]

:nopity:

Thanks, DaveD.

I'm a guitarist &, therefore, deeply into the fantastic Derek Trucks & his partner Sue Tedeschi.

I don't really follow the lives of most musos the way I did when a young player so I didn't know of the travails that KB & his friends, family & maybe fans (that's triple FFF, F ya get me) knew.

There's nothing but a gap when anyone goes elsewhere, ferget if you were his family.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/features/oteil-burbridge-kofi-tribute/

May I add this from him.

:wave::keys2::wave:

d=halfnote

Sad news. This is my favorite track by the Derek Trucks Band, largely due to the Hammond work:

(Written by Paul Pena, and I would have listened to his 1971 version a bunch as a kid because my Mother was a fan and played that album a lot. It also has some pretty hot organ work.)

To be honest, I didn't know Kofi's name. I know well of Oteil Burbridge from the bass realm, but had not read up on his brother.

-Z-

In the video below, you can see the band members console one another with their instruments during the parts of Space Captain when Kofi would traditionally take his solos.

The TTB analog to "C Slop" or "M Brain"... :idk

Thx to Matthew Moore !

The transition from DT's slide to Liz Leo's t-bone was particularly striking just for the timbral effect---I though it was a dist gtr at 1st....

d=halfnote

• 1 year later...

reviving this thread : from TTB Facebook page

"Please watch and share this trailer for Lest We Forget: Kofi Burbridge, a documentary about the life and music of our dear friend and bandmate. The full documentary will be available to stream on May 1, we'll share a link then, and thank you for remembering our brilliant friend."

premiers 05/01/2020

• 1 month later...
reviving this thread

this is finally happening, streaming live on YouTube

UTC 00:00 Friday June 12, 2020

Swamp Family TV is back this week with a double feature, starting with TTB at the 2018 Sweetwater 420 Fest in Atlanta. The TTB set will be immediately followed by the free streaming premiere of Lest We Forget: Kofi Burbridge, a beautiful and touching documentary on the musical life and times of our dear departed bandmate and brother Kofi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaA7amme58E

just finished waching. I was at the TTB DC shows referenced at the end of the interview when he had passed. There were white flowers on the stage and Susan was crying. RIP my brother. I wish I had 1/10th of your talent.

The TTB set will be immediately followed by the free streaming premiere of Lest We Forget: Kofi Burbridge, a beautiful and touching documentary on the musical life and times of our dear departed bandmate and brother Kofi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaA7amme58E

I watched some of the concert between other things last night but didn't realize the doc would be part of the broadcast afterward. I have it saved, I hope it stays up long enough for me to watch it. Thanks, Dave!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 1 year later...

it's been 3 years since Kofi's passing.  As always, I am in the audience for the annual TTB residency at The Warner Theater ( had to miss one show, tonight is show #5 out of 6)

Thursday night Susan paid tribute to him, then they payed a 10 minute version of the Blind Faith song "Had To Cry Today", with Gabe Dixon on vocals.

They also played 2 songs from "Mad Dogs and Englishmen", Kofi favorites. Last song of the night was "Space Captain", fitting tribute to him.

Flowers on stage left in front of his Hammond B3, which Gabe still uses. RIP forever

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 2/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, Doerfler said:

it's been 3 years since Kofi's passing.  As always, I am in the audience for the annual TTB residency at The Warner Theater ( had to miss one show, tonight is show #5 out of 6)

Thursday night Susan paid tribute to him, then they payed a 10 minute version of the Blind Faith song "Had To Cry Today", with Gabe Dixon on vocals.

They also played 2 songs from "Mad Dogs and Englishmen", Kofi favorites. Last song of the night was "Space Captain", fitting tribute to him.

Flowers on stage left in front of his Hammond B3, which Gabe still uses. RIP forever

Thanks for the update. I still miss Kofi and viewing this thread again made me emotional. I really want to see TTB again soon, it's been quite a few years now (I haven't caught them since Kofi passed, though I've been a huge fan of Gabe Dixon ever since he played keys with Paul McCartney on the Driving Rain album in 2001). Hearing them do the Mad Dogs tunes always thrills me; the version of Space Captain that Derek, Sue, and the Burbridges recorded with Herbie Hancock and Vinnie Colaiuta around 2010 was and is a seminal musical influence on me.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.