Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organist Ricky Peterson setting question.

So if anyone chooses to actually LISTEN to 408 carefully ... that would be cool.

Sounds like synth choir patch to me.

Despite Rickys purported recollection, I hear a synth/voice pad at boldface 4:08.

So, Im down with OP...and I really like this record.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if anyone chooses to actually LISTEN to 408 carefully ... that would be cool.

Despite Rickys purported recollection, I hear a synth/voice pad at boldface 4:08.

I assume we're talking about the C-A-G, Ab-Gb-F line. Here's a listing of all involved in the album.

Chris Albert Assistant Engineer, Engineer

Chris Alberts Vocals

Don Alias Congas, Percussion, Vocals

Becky Anderson Vocals

Dave Bargeron Trombone, Tuba

Art Baron Trombone

Randy Brecker Guest Artist, Trumpet

Susan Brown-Silag Vocals

Chris Bruce Guitar

Hiram Bullock Guest Artist, Guitar

Steve Byram Artwork, Design

Barry Campbell Vocals

Shannon Carr Assistant Engineer, Engineer

Manny Castillo Vocals

Crispin Cioe Sax (Baritone)

Eric Clapton Guest Artist, Guitar, Soloist

Ornette Coleman Composer

Joe Cuba Composer

Luther Dixon Composer

Cornell Dupree Guest Artist, Guitar

Joe Ferla Engineer, Mixing

Steve Ferrone Vocals

Laurie Frink Trumpet

Bob Funk Trombone

Ava Gardner Vocals

Earl Gardner Trumpet

Lynn Goldsmith Portraits

Bibi Green Production Coordination, Vocals

Stan Harrison Sax (Alto)

Steve Harrison Sax (Alto)

Arno Hecht Sax (Tenor)

Steve Jordan Drums, Timbales, Vocals

Steven "Steven J." Jordan Composer

King Curtis Composer

Robert Lewis Photography

Tommy LiPuma Vocals

Paul Litterall Trumpet

Bob Ludwig Mastering

Jason Miles Programming

Marcus Miller Arranger, Bass, Clarinet (Bass), Composer, Guitar, Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar (Bass), Horn Arrangements, Keyboards, Producer, Vocals

William Patterson Guitar (Rhythm), Vocals, Wah Wah Guitar

Ricky Peterson Composer, Organ (Hammond), Piano

Lenny Pickett Arranger, Horn Arrangements, Sax (Tenor)

John Purcell Flute (Alto), Sax (Tenor), Saxello, Saxophone

Herb Robertson Trumpet

Jimmy Sabater Composer

David Sanborn Composer, Primary Artist, Sax (Alto), Sax (Soprano), Sopranino, Vocals

Art Smith Drum Technician

Richard Tee Organ (Hammond)

Uptown Horns Arranger, Horn Arrangements

Naná Vasconcelos Percussion

Michael White Assistant Engineer

There are a number of vocalists so it certainly could be that. Jason Miles is listed as "programming" which presumes synth but only Marcus Miller is listed as keyboards.

From a review at All Music:

"Directly following his adventurous Another Hand, some listeners were disappointed with the fact that David Sanborn did not permanently switch from R&B/crossover to creative jazz. However, Upfront is generally quite appealing and takes some chances within its genre. Although bassist Marcus Miller is once again an important collaborator, the emphasis is on "real" instruments, most notably the organ of Ricky Peterson."

Busch.

Yeah, not gonna get into politics, but Jordan Peterson is a terrible human being. Truly. Terrible.

He says some things that make sense when presented in a certain light (because they're vague sweeping statements about human nature and such things) while encouraging dangerous behaviour and rhetoric. He is not fit for the platform he holds.

Whoops. Thought I was making a joke, guess I stepped into the ring. Might as well kill this thread now.

Completely disagree with you. He's the best.

Ah a little validation thx

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Thank you for supportive resonance on that track.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I assume we're talking about the C-A-G, Ab-Gb-F line. Here's a listing of all involved in the album.

From a review at All Music:

"Directly following his adventurous Another Hand, some listeners were disappointed with the fact that David Sanborn did not permanently switch from R&B/crossover to creative jazz. However, Upfront is generally quite appealing and takes some chances within its genre. Although bassist Marcus Miller is once again an important collaborator, the emphasis is on "real" instruments, most notably the organ of Ricky Peterson."

Busch.

Yes Sir, and thank you for Identifying the notes.

The inner voice movement at 4:08- 4:15 :

1. Sounds very appropriate for an Organ part, but for that matter a 4th tenor sax part.

2. Ricky is probably the brains behind that line

3. A smart inner voice leading plus the tonal change is what makes it outstanding to me.

an arranger code: make frequent variations in tone, dynamics , voicings etc

The notes C-A- G Ab Gb F, would have been beautiful even without the timbre change, but the timbre change just makes the arrangement that much better.

My arranging teacher told me 50 little changes such as this voice leading coupled with timbre or patch addition.. is the difference between good and great arrangements.

Small Details, are cumulative, and we obsessive types get lost in this world.

Based on all the research/comments so far I would guess that Marcus/Jason added a synth vocal sound doubling the movement you can hear in Ricky's organ playing at that point. I hear the movement in his voicings, so I would guess they added the doubling later on, which is why Ricky is not aware of it.

Certainly doesn't sound like organ alone.

Jerry

Jerry and small coterie of interested fans of this organ sound

Do you agree, the added patch was designed to enhance the line... but in such a way that did not mask the organ sound. Whichever producer who did this, surely was very musical... not too much of added sound, to make it obvious it is not an organ.

A Brilliant producer -in my parlance "arranging" or before my time "orchestration" trick)

I am still holding out small hope that it was a B3 overdub that was subsequently processed with effects.

And organists: I should know this, but in general, are Ricky's brilliant pads, or chorale-like style , accomplished with mainly two hands or one?

I wonder what will you accept as evidence one way or another.

The unlikely event of speaking to the producer!

Listen, I am sorry if this is unusual. I am very drawn to that sound.

I think musicians are drawn to a group of different aspects of a track. Rhythm, musical construction, melody. but for some, just the sound itself is a major attraction.

I think I am in a minority, in this respect.

I am very picky when playing live... I am sure this has made my employability less than ideal. I am always attending to the balance or eq, overall volume... and timbre.

I am saxophone player at heart and sax players are obssessive about tone!

Thanks for supporting this little timbral obsession of mine!

I am prepared to pay $100 for reliable straight from the horses mouth info on this 25 year old track. Likely the man or men who did this ( Marcus ? ) won't recall precisely, but they would get me much closer to the ballpark.

Yes, yes, I like that sound, THAT much. Think how much money we spend on an endless kaleidoscope of sounds coming our way? It is endless. This is one sound. As I am posting this, I am HEARING those few bars in my mind.. THAT is how much I like it.

I have spent thousands extra, by choose one bass over another, one piano over another, one Rhodes or B3 over another- aka ONE Sound. THe Classical world is a place where tens of thousands of dollars are spent, when an artist prefers one bassoon over another.

Eg Why would Oscar Peterson have his Bosendorfer shipped to The Bluenote in NYC, if not for how particular we musicians are?

This whole concept above, is the other half of,, "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools". Both of these are true, or WHY would be talking gear here?

SO do not use this comment as an excuse to badger me... you ever mess with a badger? I am one of the most versatile and talented musicians on this forum; with all due respect to some of the badasses here.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Parker-Posey-Is-Bored-Reaction-Gif-In-Waiting-For-Guffman.gif

Nice, self portrait?

http://mamzelleh.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/eating-popcorn-gif.gif

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif

jon-stewart-popcorn-gif-4.gif

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This has gone on far too long. Here's your answer:

"Thats the synthesizer overdub that Marcus Miller and I did...One of the synths is definitely A Waldorf microwave and the other sound I believe is a D 50 patch midi-ed together.

And I believe that we did that at Marcuss studio in New Jersey.

Peace,Jason"

I think I should split the $100 with Jason.

:cool:

This has gone on far too long. Here's your answer:

"Thats the synthesizer overdub that Marcus Miller and I did...One of the synths is definitely A Waldorf microwave and the other sound I believe is a D 50 patch midi-ed together.

And I believe that we did that at Marcuss studio in New Jersey.

Peace,Jason"

I think I should split the $100 with Jason.

:cool:

Jerry for the win!

"Jason Miles is listed as "programming" which presumes synth but only Marcus Miller is listed as keyboards."

Busch.

Hey, let's celebrate!

You besmirch the music , and in effect, the reputation of David Sanborn.. who is a successful musician over half a century of time.

How do you make your living in music... a lot of teaching... session work?