Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone able to voice the violins in Bitter Sweet Symphony?

polo

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might need a Roland XP-50 or XP-60. They used thosd live during the 90s for their songs to play the orchestra samples. Even those arent close, in this case Id just double the violin sound with a string ensemble sound.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Like this guy?

I saw that one - it sounds nothing like a violin, much less the violins from Bitter Sweet Symphony... :(

When I saw your original post and it said "voice/produce", I took that to mean the voicing of the parts, which that video showed. And you said "Yamaha keyboard", which that was. Even though that was a relatively inexpensive keyboard, I thought that it was a decent representation quite frankly of that tune.

As Music Bird mentioned, that part on the actual song itself was a sample of a symphonic recording. It's only going to sound so good played on keyboard. (To my ears, it sounds like more recently they just play the full sample of the recording when they do it live-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnWRjoP9mQ)

So, if you know how to play it, and you're only looking for a better and more accurate sound, you need to tell us what kind of Yamaha keyboard you're using?

You might need a Roland XP-50 or XP-60. They used thosd live during the 90s for their songs to play the orchestra samples.

Citation required, otherwise I call malarky.

The Verve played to prerecorded tracks specifically for that song, if not everything.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dITSwNh0jOo

Tonally, the guy in the video isn't even close, but that doesn't really matter, because he's playing it in a way that serves the song.

The biggest problem with his sound, to my ears, is that his patch's attack is too slow, and it doesn't differentiate between the tonal quality of the violins/violas/cellos.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Lifted from Wikipedia (apologies):

...its distinctive passage for strings was sampled from the 1965 Andrew Oldham Orchestra symphonic recording of "The Last Time"

The Verve relinquished all of their royalties to Allen Klein, owner of ABKCO Records, whilst songwriting credits were changed to Jagger/Richards/Ashcroft.

In an interview with Uncut magazine, Oldham stated, "As for Richard Ashcroft, well, I don't know how an artist can be severely damaged by that experience. Songwriters have learned to call songs their children, and he thinks he wrote something. He didn't. I hope he's got over it. It takes a while."

If you want to do the song, the simplest thing to do would be to sample the loop like the Verve did, but watch out for Allen Klien. :cop:

One of the biggest, most egregious musical faux pas of the last 30 years. That sample was the hook of the song, that song was The Verve's biggest hit and launched their career, hence The Verve would have been nothing without that sample. Their entire career was built on a lie. IMO, this is way worse than almost any other musical rights case in recent history.

I had a band that used to play this song, but we had a fiddle player, which was very cool. I didn't learn about the legal history until later... I will never play it again if I have anything to say about it.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I actually feel sorry for The Verve now. And The Staples Singers.

And hate the record industry even more now.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I play it somewhat like this dude on my Kronos. Like WesG mentioned, its important to get the different string sections correctly mapped. Perhaps the video will provide some insights you can transfer to your Montage or MODX.

[video:youtube]

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

It's just hard to believe that after all this time - and how popular this song was/is - and mostly for the violin(s) riff - that no one has come up with a good clone of that great sound.

There is a good clone of the violin in the song Come On Eileen for cripes sakes, lol.

At :55-1:15

Ive been playing that song in a cover band of mine for the past 7 years or so. This is a simple multi I setup in my PC3x using only factory string sounds. The left hand has weird splits and transpositions to be able to play the proper voicings with only one hand. It may not be the exact right sound but it definetly captures the vibe and sounds great live.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

• 3 months later...