Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

video editor for music clips

Hallo,

i wonder if any forum member have experience with video editors for preparing music clips.

I usually work with iMovie, that is very convenient for the easy of use and the level of integration (i shoot a video on my iPhone, and it automatically appears on my Mac iMovie media browser).

But it is a pain in the ass when doing music clips, where the music is the main track to which you want to synchronize all the materials.

I played around with Avid Media Composer, very steep learning curve and not very stable (at the time, i am sure it is better now), and with Adobe Premiere (expensive location) or Adobe Premiere Element (nice, but you need a big screen, i sometimes work on my 12" MacBook on the run).

Any preferences, suggestions, ideas ?

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just use Windows Live Movie Maker (although I believe Microsoft has stopped supporting that). Works for my little YouTube efforts but I don't know that you'd be able to put together an MTV quality production on it.

My son uses Shotcut which seems way more advanced.

If you're on Windows, I recommend Sony Vegas (now Magix), the "Movie Studio" version isn't expensive at all and is pretty complete, and includes the ability to load VST plugins for editing the audio, and to set the timeline to song tempo, so the snap-to-grid function can snap to bar-beat-ticks rather than to minutes-seconds-frames. Very easy to use.

I use Final Cut; if you're familiar with iMovie, it's a similar interface, just with more tools. One of the fun tricks is the option to create a "sync clip" that lines up the audio for multiple videos (and optional master audio track); you can cut between multiple clips in real time but keep the same audio track running underneath them all.

I haven't used the competition from Adobe or Microsoft, so I can't offer a comparison to the others.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Actually, in my day job, I am a professional video editor. Adobe Premiere is my main tool, and is one of the best out there. If you're having a hard time with the screen size, you can change the layout to fit your screen better, you don't need all the stuff there all the time. Remove the mixer, browser, effects windows, etc, and just work with the time line and program screen. You can also enlarge the tracks you are working on by clicking on the bottom edge on the left, and dragging them down.

I used to use Final Cut until Apple redesigned it (for the worse). Avid Media Composer is a very counter intuitive.

The only other consumer editing program that I know of is Camtasia, which looks okay, but I'm not super familiar with it.

I currently use Magix on PC. There are better programs like the aforementioned Premier, Avid, etc but they come at a cost. Magic is cheap and handles all of the basics like having separate video and audio channels as well as all of the transitions, titling, etc.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If you're on Windows, I recommend Sony Vegas (now Magix), the "Movie Studio" version isn't expensive at all and is pretty complete, and includes the ability to load VST plugins for editing the audio, and to set the timeline to song tempo, so the snap-to-grid function can snap to bar-beat-ticks rather than to minutes-seconds-frames. Very easy to use.

huge discount on this until 12/12/18

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/sem/vegas-movie-studio-platinum/

:nopity:

• 2 months later...

In the time since my original post, I checked out Davinci Resolve free version, and i find i really good.

It is hugely powerful, but if you stick to what you usually do with iMovie, the learning curve is not very steep; i looked a 15 min tutorial and i was able to do the basic stuff i need. Clearly, there is a lot more if you want to go there, including the ability to use our beloved VST/AU plugins for the audio tracks !

It even run on my old 2015 12" Macbook. OK, better not edit a Hollywood blockbuster with it :->.

Referring to my original problem with iMovie (the fact that is not really suited to music clips), Davinci Resolve solve largely the problem.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

I've worked with some of the well known above mentioned (for serious hobby purposes,and I'm very educated in computer graphics so it interests me) and I've got to say that apart from "throw it all together" drop and drag or some standard tools some people fancy, the Free and Open Source Cinelerra can top the result quality of almost all other packages, it might not initially be easy to use though.

T.

I've worked with some of the well known above mentioned (for serious hobby purposes,and I'm very educated in computer graphics so it interests me) and I've got to say that apart from "throw it all together" drop and drag or some standard tools some people fancy, the Free and Open Source Cinelerra can top the result quality of almost all other packages, it might not initially be easy to use though.

T.

Theo, Cinelerra seems to be a Linux only program. Most of us are either Mac or Windows, so Cinelerra is probably not a viable solution.

In the time since my original post, I checked out Davinci Resolve free version, and i find i really good.

It is hugely powerful, but if you stick to what you usually do with iMovie, the learning curve is not very steep; i looked a 15 min tutorial and i was able to do the basic stuff i need. Clearly, there is a lot more if you want to go there, including the ability to use our beloved VST/AU plugins for the audio tracks !

It even run on my old 2015 12" Macbook. OK, better not edit a Hollywood blockbuster with it :->.

Referring to my original problem with iMovie (the fact that is not really suited to music clips), Davinci Resolve solve largely the problem.

Maurizio

Good to hear!

• 4 months later...

I only used this for a very short while, but Blender video editor seems very capable. As a bonus, it's also free, to the best of my knowledge.

[video:youtube]

A FREE and outstanding option is Davinci Resolve by Blackmagic. The free version doesn't do 4k but that is about the only limitation. The rendering time is unbelievable. Highly recommended.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.