Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

Is it possible to drive my X5dr rack mount with standard 5 pin midi ports with this new Casio without using a computer? I noticed two types of usb connectors on the Casio. Can either usb connector drive a simple usb-to-midi convertor hooked directly to my X5dr (korg)?

Is it possible to drive my X5dr rack mount with standard 5 pin midi ports with this new Casio without using a computer? I noticed two types of usb connectors on the Casio. Can either usb connector drive a simple usb-to-midi convertor hooked directly to my X5dr (korg)?

The short answer is no, but these "less simple"ones should work...

www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter

www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

www.excelvalley.com/product/midi-usb-din-converter/

www.compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/usb-host-midi-2-p-6.html

www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_usb_midi_host.htm

www.thomann.de/gb/mode_machines_cerebel_usb.htm

They also need to be powered.

Another variable would be what Casio controls send MIDI, and what control you have over that. For example, on most keyboards, changing the patch from the front panel also sends out a MIDI Program Change, and there may or may not be a way to turn that off. So you could end up in a situation where calling up a different sound on your board sends an undesired program change to an attached module. Being able to manage the sounds on the Casio and the X5dr in combination could be another reason you want to bring some kind of computer (even just an iPhone/iPad) into the mix.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Are there any screen shots, I guess you'd call them, of the controls which appear on the front panel of the PXS3000 once powered up?

Not yet. The front panel controls actually change completely depending on what you're doing, so not all the controls are lit up at once.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Mike Martin , I would like to know if you would be able to make some videos with the S 3000 recording it through the on board speakers or through a mixer and speakers so we can get a more accurate picture of what it would sound like in a live situation , it sounds great coming through a recorder . Thanks .

Mike Martin , I would like to know if you would be able to make some videos with the S 3000 recording it through the on board speakers or through a mixer and speakers so we can get a more accurate picture of what it would sound like in a live situation , it sounds great coming through a recorder . Thanks .
That's kind of hard, as the environment can have a big effect on how it would sound, as well as the method of recording including mics, mic position, etc. (Not to mention your own listening environment when listening to any recording.) Frankly, that might be something you'll have to test for yourself when it's shipping. I'd suggest buying it from someplace with a good return policy. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I believe a number of the live at NAMM videos, in this thread, reveal the on-board speakers in that wild audio environment.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Just an aside - what exactly would one learn by hearing a recording of how a keyboard's on board speakers sound on the NAMM floor? Is that the typical listening environment Casio or any other keyboard manufacturer that makes a slab DP with built-in speakers  designs for? I'm pretty sure it isn't.

New video: Editing software

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

What can be edited on the PX-S3000 Electric Piano other than Reverb and Chorus???

What can be edited on the PX-S3000 Electric Piano other than Reverb and Chorus???

The insert effects. 90+ amplifier profiles and more. Details to come.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

He doesnt appear to be adapting his technique here for the action, at least not significantly. At about 24lbs and being this slim, how is it the keyboard isnt sliding on this table? Velcrod In place? I cant wait till one shows up near me - it has to be tried out. Not sure Ill plunge - but it will be a good indicator of what we can expect from PX-5S Part Deux.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I would guess they put rubber feet under it like most keyboards.

I think Mike Martin said this is the Stage Piano Tone and not the 001 Grand Piano Tone.

I am not familiar with this piece.

I never listened to Kansas in the 70's... it surprises me how ambitious it is. Quite a feat of memorization. You would just about have to make a religion out of this.

But once again... the Casio comes off well in the recording, and continues to perk interest. The obviously well qualified people playing these things don't seem to be having any issues.

Has Casio really done it this time?

I would love to see more videos of the Casio PX-S3000 in action. Specially not piano sounds, but all those 700? sounds included in the board. Do we have synths, pads, strings, mellotron,... I dont have any doubt the piano sounds are on par (or even better) than the common Yamaha or Roland stage pianos. But what about the "other" sounds?

I think we have to wait for the manual to see the details of the extra features from the S1000 to the S3000. It shouldn't last much more, isn't it?

Casio PX-S3000, Elektron Analog Keys, Elektron Octatrack, Synthstrom Deluge, Eurorack 6U, Yamaha DXR10

Personal:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcpepe2/

Band:

https://www.youtube.com/tentaclesband

Song for America, one of my fav tunes. Took me a good 3 days to learn all the parts back in the days before slow downers. Probably took Tom about about an hour! Just saw on the Kansas website 2 weeks ago that Tom is joining them on keyboards, what a great score for Kansas. They seem to have some new life with the new vocalist and Tom brings great vocals to add to the mix.

Tom is certainly building up his prog resume. I wish him all the best, he's a super talented dude.

It's amazing what Kerry Livgren was able to accomplish as a writer. He wasn't really known for keyboard wizardry but those Kansas tunes are full of great parts that require some technique to pull off.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

I would love to see more videos of the Casio PX-S3000 in action. Specially not piano sounds, but all those 700? sounds included in the board. Do we have synths, pads, strings, mellotron,...

From what I understand, the non-piano sounds are drawn from the CTX-3000/5000... most of those sounds are in the S3000. So those videos could give you a good idea.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I never listened to Kansas in the 70's... it surprises me how ambitious it is. Quite a feat of memorization. You would just about have to make a religion out of this.

Like most prog, I guess. ;-) Here's what it sounds like when you're not just listening to the keyboard part...

From what I understand, the non-piano sounds are drawn from the CTX-3000/5000... most of those sounds are in the S3000. So those videos could give you a good idea.

Thanks for the info. I will have a look.

Casio PX-S3000, Elektron Analog Keys, Elektron Octatrack, Synthstrom Deluge, Eurorack 6U, Yamaha DXR10

Personal:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcpepe2/

Band:

https://www.youtube.com/tentaclesband

Drawn from, but on a new "sound engine" chip. Perhaps with better clarity? And with new software enabling a better : key action to sound response.

From the same album, an absolute killer Kansas tune. We covered it for years, always my all time favorite tune of the night. Steve Walsh was one of the best rock singers of his day.

Yes, Virginia, you can rock hard in 6.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

I like to think that WE certainly know to drop in our YouTube filters when absorbing instrument demos. I allow a loss of an arbitrary 10% for the compression(s) involved, another 10% for bad 'mastering' in some cases (cheap phone mics, noisy NAMM location, etc.) and another 10% for the lack of air, even headphone air, through which the sound can move. Between that and my actual hands-on time of X years now, its not hard to tell if a new item has the goods or misses too many marks.

I loosely wonder why half of the world of basic gig players don't own the Numa Compact. That's a jaw-dropping beast. Casio has been improving to the point where sound-wise, you could seriously consider a Privia as a tour piano, MAYBE. It partly depends on the build quality and amount of travel it will endure. If Tom hasn't established this one's credentials, I don't know what could. Its a great song, played well and the tone sounds creditable. I like the slim form, too. I could see it as a simple but useful controller.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Mike Martin posted this at the Pianoworld forum:

"BOTH are two sensor actions. While I don't expect you to take my word for it, these new instruments especially the PX-S series perform better in almost every respect than the tri-sensor action found in previous models. Trust me we had people meticulously comparing them throughout the NAMM show.

The PX-S series action has some additional features not included on the CDP-S. This includes High Resolution MIDI Velocity and Release velocity."

Casio has been improving to the point where sound-wise, you could seriously consider a Privia as a tour piano, MAYBE. It partly depends on the build quality and amount of travel it will endure.
But people already have with the previous two generations. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Okay, I'm not a touring musician, and the occasional time I've done that sort of thing, it was with supplied backline. But I've been doing local gigs with Casio 88s for at least 13 years. I mean, I'm glad Casio has gotten more respect over the years, but I think people under-rate how good they've been in the past. Casio has a long history of quality stuff, even if they also made the toys and the clearly consumer-oriented stuff. Though their commitment to models with "pro features" has waxed and waned over the years.

"High Resolution MIDI Velocity and Release velocity."

Can anybody explain about this?

In the original MIDI specification, values such as velocity only ran from 0-255, no matter how hard or soft you hit the keys. Hi res MIDI information uses a much wider value scale, thus allowing you to play and reproduce that performance with much more subtlety and variation.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D