Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organist Ricky Peterson setting question.

While having fun searching for especially strong groove oriented song selections , I happened upon this session with Minn based Ricky Peterson with all star rhythm section behind Dave Sanborn

I love the sound he is getting throughout the song, but precisely at 4:08 he adds another sound on top of the gorgeous sound, which is even more gorgeous ... to me any how. From 4:08 to 4:15 or so.

What is the basic pad like sound he is using?

What is the additional sound added to it?

Ricky is one of my favorites, along with CT from Oakland.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At 4:08 on those are vocals coming in (possibly vocs played via keybd - yikes).

Dear Gawd. I have to wash my head out with Mingus to remove this stuff from my brain. It's the audio visage of those posters of a brandy snifter and a single rose on a piano. Just turrible.

You must listen to all of Arnett Cobb's releases for subjecting others to this (let's hope it sticks).

It's not too far off this

[video:youtube]SfhYgBwcVVQ

OMG Is that what youngsters say in text lingo? omg

This is soooo pretty 4:08

That's a little harsh JoJo, this is a nice old instrumental ballad. If you think it's cheesy, then you're not doing gigs that need some stuff like this. Here in SoCal the only people who want to hear Have You Met Miss Jones are old folks having dinner at the LA Country Club or something and even there, that stuff is going away.

What they want now for quiet dinner music is exactly what Sanborn is playing, more modern smooth jazz stuff. Want to know what it's like? At the yacht club in Avalon for the 4th of July last year they wanted a loud classic rock band which that band was. They did want some jazz dinner set to start but not that old stuff. What I did to warm things up was start with Europa then David Benoit's version of Don't Know Why, a mild Mr. Magic, then started to heat up with Revelation (Yellowjackets), and by mid set it was Jeff Lorber and Herbie and those were not done quietly either.

There are some Eric Marienthal vids of him doing stuff like that in what looks like nice restaurants in Orange County somewhere. Same thing at the wineries around here too. A 65 year old now did not grow up listening to Cole Porter.

Tee I can't tell what Ricky is doing but it's a variation of the standard 858 background lower drawbar setting. When you're listening to a studio production there could be overdubs, additions like those subtle vocals, whatever.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

At 4:08 on those are vocals coming in (possibly vocs played via keybd - yikes).

Dear Gawd. I have to wash my head out with Mingus to remove this stuff from my brain. It's the audio visage of those posters of a brandy snifter and a single rose on a piano. Just turrible.

You must listen to all of Arnett Cobb's releases for subjecting others to this (let's hope it sticks).

Wow! Just when you think this forum had the coolest people.....

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Wow! Just when you think this forum had the coolest people.....
Well, it does.... ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That's a little harsh JoJo, this is a nice old instrumental ballad. If you think it's cheesy, then you're not doing gigs that need some stuff like this. Here in SoCal the only people who want to hear Have You Met Miss Jones are old folks having dinner at the LA Country Club or something and even there, that stuff is going away.

What they want now for quiet dinner music is exactly what Sanborn is playing, more modern smooth jazz stuff. Want to know what it's like? At the yacht club in Avalon for the 4th of July last year they wanted a loud classic rock band which that band was. They did want some jazz dinner set to start but not that old stuff. What I did to warm things up was start with Europa then David Benoit's version of Don't Know Why, a mild Mr. Magic, then started to heat up with Revelation (Yellowjackets), and by mid set it was Jeff Lorber and Herbie and those were not done quietly either.

There are some Eric Marienthal vids of him doing stuff like that in what looks like nice restaurants in Orange County somewhere. Same thing at the wineries around here too. A 65 year old now did not grow up listening to Cole Porter.

Tee I can't tell what Ricky is doing but it's a variation of the standard 858 background lower drawbar setting. When you're listening to a studio production there could be overdubs, additions like those subtle vocals, whatever.

Bob

Thank you Mr Jazzmammal.. I would like to hear this clown non cheesy music.

I asked a legit question, and I get this? Get off my lawn you clowns.. And no for certain I am restraining the language here.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

That poster is absolutely, indisputably, Dana.

And you remind me very strongly of that old saying, mostly true about

He who can does; he who cannot, teaches. Am I lying?

Hope this helps

[video:youtube]Ka4qujkzcSA

I would like nothing better than to meet you at a jam session. Humiliation being upper most in my mind.

You not only mocked The Sanborn crew but an older bad ass from previous time Arnett Cobb.

You did it right, Fool, you pissed me off with your disrespect. Well done clown.

David Bryce and company:

Forum rules no Ad hominem attacks? If these turkeys are not attacking me, pray, what would you call it? You attack me, you get no turned cheek, maybe split lip, but no cheek turning.

These punks not only mocked me, fine, but Sanborn and Arnett Cobb.. Totally uncalled for.

You not only mocked The Sanborn crew

Yes, most definitely I did. That's my honest opinion of this stuff. Are YOU David Sandborn? No? Then what are you worried about?

but an older bad ass from previous time Arnett Cobb.

No no. Reread that. I think you SHOULD listen to Arnett Cobb. He can get ya out of that mess.

You did it right, Fool, you pissed me off with your disrespect. Well done clown.

Have NO idea what this even means.

For clarity's sake, I don't just think it's cheesy, I know it's cheesy. It's been the very definition of cheesy for many years. It's the bane of all 'jazz'.

Correct, I am NOT nor will ever (never, ever, ever ever) do gigs with that music.

Once again so we're clear: Never, ever. I will not be party to that.

and that's more likely 808000000 in tone there, not 858.

Ok, take care

Bob

David Bryce and company:

Forum rules no Ad hominem attacks? If these turkeys are not attacking me, pray, what would you call it? You attack me, you get no turned cheek, maybe split lip, but no cheek turning.

These punks not only mocked me, fine, but Sanborn and Arnett Cobb.. Totally uncalled for.

Have you been running to this well often?

Correct! I'm most definitely attacking that bland, tired, safe form of music - not you. I don't even know you and you don't know me.

And do you make your living full time in music, as these guys and myself do? Not just for a year or two but for life?

I was a respected tenor player long ago... I have huge respect that is R E S P E C T for ANY one who survives in this motha of a business over a CAREER.

Sanborn has my hat ( I hate hats ) off to him.

Huge respect for Arnett

Admiration for Benson who I mentioned - he made a conscious choice to feed his family

he left Jack Mc Duff and damn if that Aries ( Aries is the martial sign in case you are ignorant ) did not accomplish his goal.

There ought to be a section at KC

FOR FULL TIME MUSICIANS said tongue in cheek

Wait a minute, are you knocking teachers?

I'll hold off on names of well-knowns who taught (weekly!) depending on your answer.

You don't get to kick and scream as you just did defending such tossable wallpaper, push-the-fish, music and then take a crack at music teachers.

I'm more than happy to disappoint you today.

Yes, For how long now? Me, 55 years, but whose counting.

Let me tell all of you all out here... this little misunderstanding is only a tiny window into what is happening on a global scale in the western world.

And the answer is not in sight. I will not take crap... and I get angry, and will not apologize for defending musicians who I love for their courage in the face of many hardships.

In other words, not only was my innocently offered question about an organ sound mocked but top long time pros were publically needlessly mocked as well.. I will not hold my tongue under those circumstances.

If we do not learn to talk to people who differ from us... Guess what? Unstioppable Troubles a brewin.

I am ready to talk to you fellers who were disrespectful

Best we do it right here.

Wait a minute, are you knocking teachers?

I'll hold off on names of well-knowns who taught (weekly!) depending on your answer.

You don't get to kick and scream as you just did defending such tossable wallpaper, push-the-fish, music and then take a crack at music teachers.

I'm more than happy to disappoint you today.

I have respect for teachers

I hold a few of them in highest regard.

My jab was directed at a particular teacher here.

Nevertheless there is some credence to that old saying... Those who can't really play, teach. But like all sayings it is not without exceptions.

But pisssing you off was enjoyable I confess.

As long as you disrespect David Sanborn and crew , by association... you are not worthy of much respect.

Me, 55 years, but whose counting.

Then you're old enough to know better.

Let me tell all of you all out here... this little misunderstanding is only a tiny window into what is happening on a global scale in the western world.

What's that? The drive to not perpetuate wallpaper music?

That ship sailed well before this convo, but hey there's no tellin' you.

And the answer is not in sight. I will not take crap... and I get angry, and will not apologize for defending musicians who I love for their courage in the face of many hardships.

In other words, not only was my innocently offered question about an organ sound mocked but top long time pros were publically needlessly mocked as well.. I will not hold my tongue under those circumstances.

If we do not learn to talk to people who differ from us... Guess what? Unstioppable Troubles a brewin.

I am ready to talk to you fellers who were disrespectful

Best we do it right here.

Fellers?

Ew boy. Take care, Richard.

I have respect for teachers

No you don't.

I hold a few of them in highest regard.

My jab was directed at a particular teacher here.

'a few' teachers. Wow.

Nevertheless there is some credence to that old saying... Those who can't really play, teach.

Yeah, and it's an OLD saying for reason - it's false and it's dated.

As long as you disrespect David Sanborn and crew , by association... you are not worthy of much respect.

I made it clear I think that form of music is garbage. It's been confirmed CLEARLY on my end. What it has to do with YOU specifically is anyone's guess.

Name is john, young clown. Back off your BS about Sanborn. And we can talk.

It's Richard now, and thank you for considering me 'young', I certainly feel that way.

We are talking.

\

Sorry Bud, Name is John. Long ago I played with another ( in your estimation I would guess, since he played with tired Sanborn ) ancient musician by name of Richard Tee, thus i miss richard tee...

You wanna go on with the Richard, knock yourself out, as your ignorance is pretty consistent so far.

I have tremendous respect for certain teachers yes. But given your foolish pronouncements about music I respect, it fits that "I am Richard" and "I am a liar" and "I do not respect teachers" like Andres Segovia , Joe Allard, or Mike Longo, or Jack Reilly, Marcello Roviarro, Joe Maneri sp, or Spud Murphy...

When you get off your ego deal, remember you drew first blood ( to use a popular simpleton movie analogy even you can understand ) with your public disrespect.. Follow the bouncing ball, boy, You started this thing... all I did was ask about a sound... a Sound is an innocent thing,, it does not submit to fools' opinions, for or against, it's just a sound, we happen to differ on . That should have been the end of it,, but you took it into the land of Jo Jo.

Richard lol