Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2975499 - 02/13/19 09:23 AM Earth Wind and Fire 1973!
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA

I maybe heard scant details about their development prior to them becoming the mega hit soul group that we love... But thanks to youtube, we can see them , just before what to me was a monumental change.
SInce they are Chicago/Illinois based, do any of you midwesterners know more details about this great group?
I played opposite or opened for them just once in Chicago, around 1974. And believe me, what we hear on this video is nothing like they sounded a mere year later.

This dream that Maurice and friends realized, was my dream too, but it was not to be!
Probably a lot of musicians would have liked to be in a family of musicians like this.
Whether the family was fighting like Cream or , being dictated to, like James Brown, a family often produces remarkable music.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (02/13/19 09:25 AM)

KC Island
#2975513 - 02/13/19 10:16 AM Re: Earth Wind and Fire 1973! [Re: I-missRichardTee]
David R Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, QC
Maurice White's autobiography has a lot of insight into this development. It's a great read.

Kirk DeGiorgio used to have a show on Red Bull Radio, a two-hour episode dedicated to early Earth Wind and Fire, when they were still in full-on Strata East/Afro-"spiritual jazz" mode. I had never heard that stuff before then.

Personally, I wish they had stayed in step with Mandrill, Parliament and the Ohio Players. For whatever reason, both Kool & the Gang and EW&F felt it necessary to smooth their edges and embrace the disco/pop sheen of the late 70s and early 80s.

I don't understand how Philip Bailey's voice gets BETTER as he ages.

#2975516 - 02/13/19 10:29 AM Re: Earth Wind and Fire 1973! [Re: David R]
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Florida
Nothing beats walking by the stairs as I did yesterday and hearing my two kids--ages 12 and 16--belting out the falsetto chorus of "September" at the tops of their lungs.

Have to say I was a bit confused. This is what happens when you have "band kids" though--I wasn't in a school band myself, so it's all new to me! grin

#2975576 - 02/13/19 04:22 PM Re: Earth Wind and Fire 1973! [Re: David R]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: David R
Maurice White's autobiography has a lot of insight into this development. It's a great read.

Kirk DeGiorgio used to have a show on Red Bull Radio, a two-hour episode dedicated to early Earth Wind and Fire, when they were still in full-on Strata East/Afro-"spiritual jazz" mode. I had never heard that stuff before then.

Personally, I wish they had stayed in step with Mandrill, Parliament and the Ohio Players. For whatever reason, both Kool & the Gang and EW&F felt it necessary to smooth their edges and embrace the disco/pop sheen of the late 70s and early 80s.

I don't understand how Philip Bailey's voice gets BETTER as he ages.

Thank you, I must have missed the autobiography of Maurice.
I always like EWF, regardless of so called pop sheen..
These guys have families to feed
Bragging time.. on a gig with a UCLA faculty musician. a trio
guitar me and drum

Kool And the Gang members were impressed with the sound I was getting I guess the left hand bass. As a consequence the Kool trombone man whose name escapes me
told me a story.
He was in NYC playing with cats in the Thad Jones Mel Lewis big band... some of the creme players in the jazz realm at that time.. This bone player said there was this commercial group he was with ( Kool and the Gang, who btw my old bandleader Deodato played a major part in commerciaizing them ) and he was asking how these NYC jazz cats, how they felt about him doing a commercial gig.. Guess what, they advised him to go for it.
He told me he put two kids though college thanks to Kool and the Gang, and that is lowly bone player.
Most cats make thee unrealistic idealistic dumb clueless remarks about Oh my, such and such got too commercial, gee I wonder why>>> all the while they do these musings behind their corporate office space.
Give me a break/
I have tolerated ( poorly ) criticism of Grover Washington
Geo Benson!! Even Herbie Hancock by immature losers who couldn't shine MY shoes let alone theirs.
Any questions? Don't bother.

#2975607 - 02/13/19 05:39 PM Re: Earth Wind and Fire 1973! [Re: I-missRichardTee]
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club

Loc: Indy
Maurice White was a session/gigging drummer in Chicago back in the 60's - Chess records, Ramsey Lewis. Check out the auto bio for sure

#2975610 - 02/13/19 05:48 PM Re: Earth Wind and Fire 1973! [Re: kanker.]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: kanker.
Maurice White was a session/gigging drummer in Chicago back in the 60's - Chess records, Ramsey Lewis. Check out the auto bio for sure

My fellow Sagitarius, Maurice White,,, He deserved all success. I will check it out. Thanks

One time I got to play a show, with me on organ and left hand bass, with Ramsey Lewis's guitarist and bad bad ass drummer.
I nearly had a heart attack ... this drummer in particular was soooo incredible,, I could not wipe the smile off my face.
I asked them about Ramsey, not being all that aware of him, except his instrumental hit. I was told Ramsey Lewis was a master on the piano.

#2975671 - 02/14/19 05:02 AM Re: Earth Wind and Fire 1973! [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
They have had a ton of members in the past and two really good horn sections.

noblevibes.com

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner