Next Thread
Print Thread
DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! #2975494 02/13/19 02:08 PM
D
derhenno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Found great deals on both, it's decision time cool

Which one would you go for and why? I'm going to be happy with either one but i'm curious what you think about these "oldies" but goodies love

KC Island
Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: derhenno] #2975502 02/13/19 02:37 PM
Mighty Ferguson Offline
When I bought my DMC-122/Gemini I had the same question. When I looked my band's setlist, there were some tunes that needed non-organ sounds on both manuals at the same time (piano and Rhodes for example). That pretty much took the SK2 out of the running. I believe that's been addressed in the newer SKX. At this point, with the upgrades the Gemini has received over time, I think it's got better sounds than the SK2 as well. A downside to the DMC/Gemini for me is the looks. If I'm being honest, I find it ugly. But I acquired a used Hammond shell from Valhalla Woodworking on Craigslist, and it fits well. So at this point, I'm really the only one seeing it on a gig.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."
Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: Mighty Ferguson] #2975504 02/13/19 02:49 PM
D
derhenno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I agree wholeheartedly, the DMC loses it in the looks department but the extra sounds are better (in my opinion). But nowadays you could always hook up an ipad for external sounds...Willing to share a picture of this disguised DMC? I'm curious how it looks ;-)

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: derhenno] #2975520 02/13/19 03:42 PM
Mighty Ferguson Offline
Sure, here it is. This is just before I took a power saw to it to make the sides foldable. I don't have an updated pic, but it worked well. You can't really see the cuts when it's on a stage.

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: Mighty Ferguson] #2975528 02/13/19 04:15 PM
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Fan of the looks here. I have gotten lots of compliments.

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: ABECK] #2975533 02/13/19 04:27 PM
D
derhenno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Looks awesome Mighty Ferguson, thanks for sharing it with me/us!

ABECK, the DMC doesn't look horrible to the point it should not be seen by anyone...ever.. razz It has it's charm, but i guess i'm more into "traditional" looks :-)

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: derhenno] #2975534 02/13/19 04:35 PM
C
ChazKeys Offline
C
Originally Posted By: derhenno
I agree wholeheartedly, the DMC loses it in the looks department but the extra sounds are better (in my opinion). But nowadays you could always hook up an ipad for external sounds...Willing to share a picture of this disguised DMC? I'm curious how it looks ;-)

Despite having some excellent apps on the iPad including Module with Scarbee, Ivory etc I just canít settle on it as an alternative to a dedicated piece of hardware. I have recently used Odysei live driving it from the upper Split on an E5D - nice sounding synth that worked for me live with a covers band for a couple of numbers.
I started using the iPad years ago with the MOXF which has great iPad integration including a dedicated fader. This was the neatest solution because audio and MIDI were handled by the CCK alone. It could be an age thing but for the last 3 years I have programmed all my sets with SetList Maker but rarely used the music apps - and I have loads. iPad can get a bit fiddly, audio out/interface plus setting it up with a controller, midi channel assignments etc.

The Gemin Module for me is the best sounding unit around for many sounds but itís so dependent the music you play. The trick with Gemini is to find a controller that works for you. If you want killer organs and EPs, a decent VA synth and a range of bread and butter sounds itís hard to beat. As I mentioned elsewhere Iím using a VR700. Very good as controller but very comlplicated to set up. Gemini works well with the Nord E5D too. Remember you can assign anything on the Gemini using CC numbers.

Last edited by ChazKeys; 02/13/19 04:39 PM.
Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: ChazKeys] #2975535 02/13/19 04:48 PM
D
derhenno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I normally also prefer a dedicated piece of hardware, but all those instruments on my mac and ipad sound soooooo good that i think i'll have to get comfortable in bringing more equipment to the stage. The gemini (for the most part) will be just fine (the DMC i found a sweet deal for has the Gemini built in so as far as controllers go: i'm set)

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: ABECK] #2975544 02/13/19 05:43 PM
Mighty Ferguson Offline
Originally Posted By: ABECK
Fan of the looks here. I have gotten lots of compliments.

I should have acknowledged in my post that the rest of my band also like the looks of the DMC-122. I think in my mind I was preferring the look of the Mojo, with the wood side panels, etc. The Hammond shell has taken care of that, and it's worth a ton for me not to have to bring a second board for EPs, pianos, synth, etc.

Thinking about it a little, I think the only thing Guido could add to the Gemini to make me like it more is the ability to add your own samples.

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: Mighty Ferguson] #2975548 02/13/19 06:44 PM
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The only thing I would need for it to be complete is a saxophone addition and come in 73 to 76 semi-weighted keys.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; www.dyinbreedband.com
www.thewildthingsrock.webs.com
Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: Delaware Dave] #2975558 02/13/19 07:55 PM
C
ChazKeys Offline
C
Well everyone has different needs but I would like to get access to the sample memory too. If it was possible to load SoundFont files that would be a real bonus. Plus you could use an excellent free program called Polyphone to create your own sample sets https://www.polyphone-soundfonts.com/en/

Polyphone supports velocity layers as well which is step up from the Nord Sample Manager.

The thing I miss the most on the Gemini is a Harpsichord. Nord is big on Harpsichords and do quite a number of French and Italian versions. Used by The Beatles and Stranglers to name a few and it is bona fide keyboard instrument. I use it for some prog stuff that we write and I have to get the Nord to cover it. Guido didn't include one in the Sample section either. However, at a pinch you can get buy with the modelled Clavinet. I reckon Guido could a model a fab Italian Harpsichord.

Here's hoping......

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: ChazKeys] #2975655 02/14/19 07:10 AM
D
derhenno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: ChazKeys

The thing I miss the most on the Gemini is a Harpsichord. Nord is big on Harpsichords and do quite a number of French and Italian versions. Used by The Beatles and Stranglers to name a few and it is bona fide keyboard instrument. I use it for some prog stuff that we write and I have to get the Nord to cover it. Guido didn't include one in the Sample section either. However, at a pinch you can get buy with the modelled Clavinet. I reckon Guido could a model a fab Italian Harpsichord.
Here's hoping......

There is still room for presets on the gemini (a lot of room if i'm correct)...so Guido, if you're reading this ;-)

Byt he way, am i correct in assuming that the (soft)case for the mojo also fits the dmc? If i should decide to get the DMC I should protect it.

A mysterious image of a flashing knob appeared on the crumar facebookpage yesterday....maybe they will release the long awaited new 73 dual manual mojo with gemini built in right after i buy the "old" one crazy

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: derhenno] #2975726 02/14/19 01:59 PM
C
ChazKeys Offline
C
Yes that is a strange little video - could it be a button on a new board?

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: ChazKeys] #2975729 02/14/19 02:10 PM
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
It could be part of his deception to have you think one way and do something else but on the Mojo/GSICrumar/DMC122 Facebook group one of the items that Guido says he is working on something new is this:

https://www.facebook.com/instruments.crumar/videos/298355644150692/

so the flashing light could be from this potentially new module.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; www.dyinbreedband.com
Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: Delaware Dave] #2975739 02/14/19 03:07 PM
D
derhenno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
It could be part of his deception to have you think one way and do something else but on the Mojo/GSICrumar/DMC122 Facebook group one of items that Guido shows that says he is working on something new is this:

https://www.facebook.com/instruments.crumar/videos/298355644150692/

so the flashing light could be from this potentially new module.

I don't think so, look at the mysterious image and the module he's working on...it doesn't match in any way...now i'm thinking of letting these really sweet deals go by and wait for what's to come (risky i know laugh )

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: derhenno] #2975741 02/14/19 03:26 PM
Mighty Ferguson Offline
Originally Posted By: derhenno
Byt he way, am i correct in assuming that the (soft)case for the mojo also fits the dmc? If i should decide to get the DMC I should protect it.

Yes, the soft case with wheels for the Mojo fits the DMC-122.

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: Mighty Ferguson] #2975742 02/14/19 03:30 PM
D
derhenno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks!!!!!!

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: derhenno] #2976145 02/17/19 07:43 AM
D
derhenno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well: i bought the SK2, updated it and am very happy. The previous owner really did not do anything with it but look at it. Only drawback: he smokes so unfortunately it doesn't smell like roses....what could i use to clean it / gently remove some of the smell without messing the instrument up?

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: derhenno] #2976166 02/17/19 01:39 PM
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
LOL.

You open up a topic, Hammond or dmc. You had great deals on both. Not one person even mentioned the Hammond, not one. So you purchased a Hammond. To each his own, I get that. But why bother even asking? You got 0 recommendations for the Hammond and then purchase one? Inquiring minds want to understand the logic of the purchase decision. It sounds to me that you already had your mind made up. Again, I'd just like to understand what drove the purchasing decision.

Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: Delaware Dave] #2976259 02/18/19 06:13 AM
D
derhenno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I narrowed it down to these two (using every available source), so you're right: my mind was already made up, i knew that i would be happy with either one (like i stated in the beginning). I was just being curious about your preferred option. As for the purchasing decision: I was able to play and listen both extensively and the SK2 sounded great and had become way cheaper then the already great price on the DMC, leaving some cash for a PK5. The Hammond will fit my needs perfectly...there you go :-)

Last edited by derhenno; 02/18/19 06:14 AM.
Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: derhenno] #2976297 02/18/19 12:18 PM
B
BenWaB3 Offline
B
In support of derhenno, I had a DMC-122 Gemini, sold it & bought an SK-1 73. The DMC/Gem was a fine combo but the SK fit my needs better. Also my main quibble w/ the DMC/Gem was that, using the 838 setting for the lt. hand bass, it almost totally disappeared on the bottom octave. I tried boosting the bass "to 11" in every way possible. I'm noticing the same drop off in the Studiologic Numa 2X. With the SK I often have to turn the bass down on the master eq. Also, going from a Roland workstation with a sequencer plus an organ module meant I had to bring along a laptop with the DMC/Gem and setup took longer than the previous rig. With the SK I'm reduced to using WAV files but I only have to bring in the keyboard & amp and am ready to go in 5 minutes. Now I do miss the programmability of the Gemini plus the biggest flaw in the SK is lack of pitch/mod wheels but overall I haven't regretted the choice to switch.

Last edited by BenWaB3; 02/18/19 12:20 PM.
Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: BenWaB3] #2976312 02/18/19 01:47 PM
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: BenWaB3
In support of derhenno, I had a DMC-122 Gemini, sold it & bought an SK-1 73. The DMC/Gem was a fine combo but the SK fit my needs better.

Yes, to continue to give some support to the "other side," the SK definitely still has advantages over the DMC. Assuming it does what you need, it's nicer to work with dedicated knobs than generic ones, and a similarly specific rather than generic overall operational interface. Go up to a DMC or an SK2 for the first time... How do you enable percussion or CV on your organ sound? How do you adjust EQ? Or reverb or overdrive? How do you change your lower manual to a Rhodes (or change the sound of either manual to any other sound on the fly)? Or transpose or octave-shift? The DMC is something you set up in advance and learn how to operate, the SK is something you can immediately play and configure in real time (though it does have deeper parameters you can set up as well, MIDI zoning, etc.).

Originally Posted By: BenWaB3
my main quibble w/ the DMC/Gem was that, using the 838 setting for the lt. hand bass, it almost totally disappeared on the bottom octave. I tried boosting the bass "to 11" in every way possible. I'm noticing the same drop off in the Studiologic Numa 2X. With the SK I often have to turn the bass down on the master eq.

Bottom octave is one of the biggest things that vary among organs (which, despite all the clonewheel threads over the years, seems rarely mentioned). I suspect it has to do at least in part with the implementation of foldback, though I don't know if that's the entire explanation. What surprises me is, with all the adjustability and different models of the Gemini, that there was no way to get the bottom you wanted.

But yes, Hammond SK has a hefty low end. So does Numa Organ 2, but not the original Numa Organ. Nords don't have big bottom, I think except where they offer the "B3+bass" option. IIRC, the Rolands have the fuller bass. Whether it is more or less desirable to have that bass may be subjective. It's been decades since I've played a real tonewheel organ, and I don't even know what's authentic anymore! It may also be something that varied among different tonewheel Hammonds?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our new video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out!
Re: DMC-122 Gemini or Hammond SK2?! [Re: AnotherScott] #2976343 02/18/19 03:59 PM
D
derhenno Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the support for "the other side" guys. The Hammond is indeed plug and play and i did notice the presence of more bass on the SK2. All in all, different people, different needs, different choices, but i loved the sound (and the price) so i went for it ;-)

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner