G
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2DuBYdo5Rk

I like the crunchy tone by Mr Johnson

I didn't notice any amp in the studio.

My uninformed guess he used a Fender tube amp

What do your ears suggest ?

Thanks !

GP Island
Re: "Bootleg Turn" [ Justin Johnson] Amplification [Re: GregC] #2975326 02/12/19 02:37 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
Near the end of the video, I do see an Ampeg Amp or Cabinet behind the Bass player, towards the patio door, but that's all?

Early in the video, you can see an iPhone up on a Music stand in front of the Bassist, then around :56, there's a double-exposure effect behind the drummer (maybe a piece of plexiglass?), but I see what looks like a small breakout box with two knobs and another iPhone.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
Re: "Bootleg Turn" [ Justin Johnson] Amplification [Re: Winston Psmith] #2975344 02/12/19 03:51 PM
G
GregC Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Near the end of the video, I do see an Ampeg Amp or Cabinet behind the Bass player, towards the patio door, but that's all?

Early in the video, you can see an iPhone up on a Music stand in front of the Bassist, then around :56, there's a double-exposure effect behind the drummer (maybe a piece of plexiglass?), but I see what looks like a small breakout box with two knobs and another iPhone.

yeah, I noticed iPhones. Good catch on Ampeg. Might be audio for
upright bass player ?

to be clear, I am interested in opinions what amp or amplification JJ is using.

Thanks

Re: "Bootleg Turn" [ Justin Johnson] Amplification [Re: GregC] #2975370 02/12/19 05:42 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
Originally Posted By: GregC

upright bass player ?

Thanks

Ah, sorry, should have been more clear.

I suspect it's some form of Amp Modeling, via iRig, possibly by accessing Garageband within the iPhones. A Fender model is probably a good guess. Not seeing any sign of Guitar Amps within the recoding space, that's my best guess. The Drummer appears to be the only one isolated to avoid sound bleed-through, which reinforces my impression that there's modeling rather than live amplification involved. That's a small space, where you would think that the two Guitars and the upright Bass would create a pretty murky mix, all facing one another, as they appear to be.

At around 2:05 and again around 2:53, you can see some kind of combo Amp behind him, but there are at least two Guitars leaning against it, an unlikely arrangement if it were being used?

Again, that's my impression from the few visual clues available. Everything could be cabled and mic'ed in another room altogether, with the mix being fed back into the rehearsal space.

Last edited by Winston Psmith; 02/12/19 05:49 PM.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Re: "Bootleg Turn" [ Justin Johnson] Amplification [Re: Winston Psmith] #2975377 02/12/19 06:17 PM
G
GregC Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
G

upright bass player ?

Thanks

Ah, sorry, should have been more clear.

I suspect it's some form of Amp Modeling, via iRig, possibly by accessing Garageband within the iPhones. A Fender model is probably a good guess. Not seeing any sign of Guitar Amps within the recoding space, that's my best guess. The Drummer appears to be the only one isolated to avoid sound bleed-through, which reinforces my impression that there's modeling rather than live amplification involved. That's a small space, where you would think that the two Guitars and the upright Bass would create a pretty murky mix, all facing one another, as they appear to be.

At around 2:05 and again around 2:53, you can see some kind of combo Amp behind him, but there are at least two Guitars leaning against it, an unlikely arrangement if it were being used?

Again, that's my impression from the few visual clues available. Everything could be cabled and mic'ed in another room altogether, with the mix being fed back into the rehearsal space.

Thats a solid point- its such a compact recording space- Mr Johnson and the bassist must have fed their audio out to the room with a recording set up while monitoring it in the small rehearsal space.

I don't believe the 2nd guitar player added to the recording- while he picked away here and there I heard nothing.

Its cool you mentioned amp modeling. As keyboard player I am interested in amp and tube modeling in an effort to sound analog since all my instruments are digital.

Re: "Bootleg Turn" [ Justin Johnson] Amplification [Re: GregC] #2975405 02/12/19 07:51 PM
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

Plus one on the Fender amp, if not a Fender it might be a fender clone which there are many of.

I really like his playing. Smokin player that guy.

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: "Bootleg Turn" [ Justin Johnson] Amplification [Re: GregC] #2975419 02/12/19 08:52 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
Its cool you mentioned amp modeling. As keyboard player I am interested in amp and tube modeling in an effort to sound analog since all my instruments are digital.

Would love to talk more about this, without hijacking the thread? PM when you get a chance.

Re: "Bootleg Turn" [ Justin Johnson] Amplification [Re: desertbluesman] #2975483 02/13/19 12:51 PM
G
GregC Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

Plus one on the Fender amp, if not a Fender it might be a fender clone which there are many of.

I really like his playing. Smokin player that guy.

I agree. He has skill and his timing is flawless. The song is fast, too. To hit/play everything on time with high BPM is something I admire.

I finally noticed Mr Johnson uses some reverb.

Re: "Bootleg Turn" [ Justin Johnson] Amplification [Re: GregC] #2975514 02/13/19 03:23 PM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club
I finally noticed Mr Johnson uses some reverb.

And don't discount the large part that prominent slap-back echo plays in his sound here, as well! cool

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
Re: "Bootleg Turn" [ Justin Johnson] Amplification [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #2976107 02/16/19 06:43 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Kinda OT but I didn't know Charlie Watts played gtr...
...more to the point, in a sorta sideareal way, why's the bassist playing behind the beat ?
I 1st noticed that visually (the part is way undertracked)
but aft chking
it's true.
The bs part lags the rest through much of the track.
That's not really an intended effect izzit ?
It also looks as though the film & soundtrack may not match on the gtr...although it look slike the drs are in sync.
idk

Also, as far as the entire production goes,
I can't be sure but except for a slight glitch just before the 1 min mark (where presumably he was grabbing the slide)
I suspect maybe this is not a film of the actual perf.
…..& why is there blue reflection in the windows but the clip is B/W?
In fact there's full color through the patio door ! [4 min mark}

Clearly there was much work put into the production...but enough ?
Comments ?

That cat is a hot player
(though I'd like to know who the 2nd gtr cat is !---Note that comments/Qs are disabled at the site)
---busiest slide player since John Dawson Winter !---thx for tipping us....or at least me ! rawk

FWIW, I find this a more interesting clip both musically
&, uh, Ed Cetera. [Sez here there's abt 200 to select from]
I'm particularly given to players who exercise non-electronic manipulations of electrick gtr. cool

Them cats gotta bust it at yer local roadhouse !
-------------------------
Trust me, I have no affiliation (despite the WEAVER DANCELAND credit)
but I "credit-where-due"-wise gotta add this...
….both for the Ryland P C country-pathway cred (as opposed to "street") & the Not-Bo-Diddley gtr !

I won't even mention this one
& what It suggests abt the potential of high tech in continuing the folkways of music....

Last edited by d; 02/16/19 07:40 PM.

d=halfnote

Moderated by  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose