Next Thread
Print Thread
Kurzweil PC3x crashed #2975071 02/11/19 01:36 PM
Ian Benhamou Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Hey guys,

I contacted Kurzweil about the problem but posting here in case anybody has had a similar problem.

At a pretty important gig last Saturday the PC3x in the rig went down. It was weird. Everything worked, but after about 45-60 seconds of playing I'd hear a weird loud digital screech and then all sound would cut off. Turned the machine off an rebooted several times but the problem was recurring.

Luckily, this PC3x belongs to the band and for once we were playing at home. So my personal PC3x got delivered to the venue by my wonderful girlfriend and we were able to transfer all the patches to my machine and get through the gig.

I brought both Kurzweils back to my place after the gig. I'm sitting with the band owned one at the moment in my studio. Been playing it since 9:30 this morning. No issues whatsoever.

Wondering if any of you have had or heard of a similar issue.

Thanks

PS We're heading out on a US tour in a few weeks. I'll obviously bring mine on the road as a backup, but need to get this one fixed and know that the problem will not come back.

Ian Benhamou
Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

The Musical Box
KC Island
Re: Kurzweil PC3x crashed [Re: Ian Benhamou] #2975075 02/11/19 02:29 PM
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
So far the only problem my PC3 (76 key) has given me is the occasional blinking/stuttering LCD backlight. Usually 'fixed' by tapping/nudging the LCD brightness knob. It hasn't acted up in almost a year now, the problem seems to have gone away... but I'm sure it will be back at some point and I will need to get it properly fixed.

I realized when I bought my PC3 used a couple years ago, there was going to be a risk of problems like this. With only the blinking LCD problem (and now it seems to be working OK), I think I got pretty lucky. When mine finally crashes (if it does), the party will be over the service bills will begin. frown

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M
Re: Kurzweil PC3x crashed [Re: synthizen2] #2975123 02/11/19 05:45 PM
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'd test it out a bit more, maybe leave it on for 24 hours, then test again. Is there any possibility that the power at the gig site going to it might have been a bit low on voltage?
It might be just enough to cause that one to crash, whereas a different PC3X might just squeak by without crashing. Such is the reality of tolerances in electronic circuits.
I have all three in the series, the X being the oldest, 361 newest, but all of them over 5 years. Never a problem on the X or 361. The PC3 lost all audio output several years ago. I did some troubleshooting, and came to the conclusion I'd need to replace a board (or two) - wasn't worth the cost. The SPDIF digital output still works, so I feed an external DAC with that and still use it in my church rig (which only has to be moved very occasionally).

If it does cost too much to fix, might be time for the band to look at a Forte replacement. Could likely import any existing custom patches.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's
HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Jim
Re: Kurzweil PC3x crashed [Re: synthizen2] #2975124 02/11/19 05:46 PM
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Ian,

Sorry to hear about the PC3X. A while back mine started making loud crackling/popping/screeching sounds, so I contacted Kurzweil and they advised the LCD assembly was probably failing. Further research revealed this is a well-documented issue with the PC3. My PC3X is no longer my main axe, but I finally got around to taking it to the shop to replace the LCD assembly, but when my tech called AM&S (Kurzweil's parts distributor) he was told that the “front panel control board” would also need to be replaced. He was told the LCD assembly they had at AM&S would not work with the front panel control board currently in my PC3X. They advised that only an “original” LCD assembly would work with the front panel control board in my keyboard. I subsequently contacted Kurzweil, and they verified this was indeed the case. However, purchasing an LCD assembly and a front panel control board places this repair at a substantially higher cost (approx. $700). Not sure what I'm going to do. I still dig the PC3 but 700 bucks is a lot to fork over for a backup/rehearsal axe.

P.S. Great to have you back posting with us, I've always enjoyed your contributions.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
- George Bernard Shaw
Re: Kurzweil PC3x crashed [Re: synthizen2] #2975151 02/11/19 08:11 PM
S
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted By: synthizen2
So far the only problem my PC3 (76 key) has given me is the occasional blinking/stuttering LCD backlight. Usually 'fixed' by tapping/nudging the LCD brightness knob. It hasn't acted up in almost a year now, the problem seems to have gone away... but I'm sure it will be back at some point and I will need to get it properly fixed.

I realized when I bought my PC3 used a couple years ago, there was going to be a risk of problems like this. With only the blinking LCD problem (and now it seems to be working OK), I think I got pretty lucky. When mine finally crashes (if it does), the party will be over the service bills will begin. frown

This describes my pc361 exactly. I have a screen that goes almost-dark occasionally, I tap it and it comes back. Eventually I'd like to retire it to home studio duties--I love the action and wouldn't be using the screen at all.

About 40 gigs ago, it froze during a show and refused to boot properly after that. It would load gibberish, or into various error screens. I ended up going into the safe mode, was about to reset it completely, but then noticed a "boot" menu option. I chose it, and it's been booting perfectly ever since. That was a gig where I used stage power (stage had many outlets all along the edges) instead of running a longer cable to our bass player's furman rack unit as I normally do...perhaps coincidence, not sure.

I love the sounds and action of my Kurzweil, but I don't think I'll be buying one again, unless I've heard that the reliability has greatly improved. That said, I've gotten my money's worth out of this one, especially if it can make it to retirement smile

Re: Kurzweil PC3x crashed [Re: Stokely] #2975265 02/12/19 09:51 AM
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Don't own one but was on a gig with an Elvis impersonator and his KB player had all his patches built on the PC3x. Sound check went fine but he turned it off and when it was show time the PC3x would not reboot. He used my RD2000 with some patches I had set up and made it work. I have never heard what the problem was.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner