Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2975028 - 02/11/19 12:08 AM Troubleshooting guitar buzz
cmarquis Offline

Loc: USA
I'll get right to the point:

Ibanez RG8 with brand new DiMarzio pickups

>

brand new cable (tried multiple)

>

2i2

>

amp sim signal chain

I keep getting this thin, ugly lo-fi sound with a weird buzzing sound. It really comes out in my palm mutes, as seen here.

https://soundcloud.com/curefordisco/sample2

It's something in my DI, I've determined. I can hear it through my real amp too. I went through and cleaned up all the solders and made sure none of the wires were touching, etc, but it didn't help whatsoever. Anyone know where this sound is coming from? I'm hoping my signal gains some clarity with any potential solution as well because something is clearly wrong. Thanks for your help!

GP Island
#2975301 - 02/12/19 07:40 AM Re: Troubleshooting guitar buzz [Re: cmarquis]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
WELCOME ABOARD CMARQUIS! If it's in the DI and you also hear it in your real amp, leave the DI out of line and see if you still hear it in the amp...if you do, it's either the guitar, the amp or the cord (new cords can also have flaws). Or, it could also be coming from your electrical house wiring. Try them all at another location...just a thought! cool

ps. my DI's have a ground lift switch...try it first if yours has one.

Edited by Larryz (02/12/19 07:43 AM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2975329 - 02/12/19 09:48 AM Re: Troubleshooting guitar buzz [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Larryz
WELCOME ABOARD CMARQUIS! If it's in the DI and you also hear it in your real amp, leave the DI out of line and see if you still hear it in the amp...if you do, it's either the guitar, the amp or the cord (new cords can also have flaws). Or, it could also be coming from your electrical house wiring. Try them all at another location...just a thought! cool

ps. my DI's have a ground lift switch...try it first if yours has one.

All good thoughts. Couple of additions - are your new picks active, and are your strings hitting the pickup, or getting right on them when you palm-mute? I'm hearing a high-frequency "squawk" in that sample that's almost like digital glitching, but could be the pickups responding microphonically.

If you have access to a battery-powered headphone Amp or Multi-FX, plug into it, and listen for the noise. (A battery-powered system is totally isolated from any in-house wiring or grounding issues.)

Keep us posted.

http://www.novparolo.com

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose