Print Thread
Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? #2974843 02/09/19 11:18 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Alerted to him by the Green Book film, I'm just starting to dig in after reading an ultra brief bio.
Of course the best way to get to know his work is by listening, which I'm doing as time allows but as I track down his discography I wonder what long-term fans may have to say, particularly on his classical work compared to jazz/pop idioms but also how his work/playing changed over time both developmentally & from his physical ailments.
snax

d=halfnote
KC Island
Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: d / halfnote] #2974890 02/10/19 07:57 AM
J
jimkost2002 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Wow. There’s an EXCELLENT musician I havent heard mentioned in a LONG time!
I enjoyed his recordings immensely in my late teen years. Ima go look him up on YouTube after i post this!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny
Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: jimkost2002] #2974906 02/10/19 11:49 AM
P
piano39 Offline
P
I am beginning to be one. I saw "Green Book"- I thought that the movie, itself, was a little too Hollywood. It was very entertaining, however.

I do not ever remember hearing any Don Shirley music prior to this. I was really impressed by the classical/ jazz fusion.

I recommend the movie, if only for the music scenes. Piano/ Cello/ Violin Jazz Trio. Who would've thunk it?

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Alesis Micron, Sonar X3, Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules
Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: piano39] #2974945 02/10/19 05:47 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Yeah the instrumental make-up of his long -term (?) trio was a bit unusual.

d=halfnote
Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: d / halfnote] #2974950 02/10/19 06:01 PM
R
Raymb1 Offline
R
Listened to him a lot many years ago, along with Phineas Newborn and Art Tatum.

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3
Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: Raymb1] #2975020 02/11/19 02:02 AM
S_Gould Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I grew up listening to Don Shirley; my father was a big fan. I always liked & remembered his stuff, but NO ONE I ever met later in life had ever heard of him. Gradually he slipped toward the back of my consciousness. "The Gospel According to Don Shirley" remains the best Sunday morning hangover music there is. grin

Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: S_Gould] #2975026 02/11/19 03:29 AM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I watched The Green Book and enjoyed it a fair amount for what it was (a Hollywood take). I'm certainly a Mahershala Ali fan.

I will say, however, that I read after the fact that Don Shirley's family was not impressed with the movie. They did not agree with much of his portrayal, which is always sad to hear.

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord E3-73; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: MAJUSCULE] #2975049 02/11/19 10:08 AM
D
d / halfnote Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Yes, there is some annoyance coming from his family (chk DBeat mag, etc) which is one of the things I wonder abt...

As a young person I heard "Water Boy", which I guess was enough of a hit to be on general pop radio then (or was on general pop radio enough to be a hit rolleyes ) but that's all I know abt him except what I've read abt his music recently, which suggests that he had a certain musical theory ideology.

What I'm looking for are some shortcuts in tryna start digging into his catalog, although the best---if slowest--- thing might just be to start at the start & let his recording development spk for itself.

d=halfnote
Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: d / halfnote] #2975061 02/11/19 11:42 AM
marino Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Growing up in Europe, I had absolutely no idea who Don Shirley was. Later, I read something in books, and I was under the impression that he was some kind of virtuoso salon pianist out of New Orleans in the early 20th century, like Jelly Roll Morton. I didn't realize that he was of a later generation, and certainly I didn't imagine his unique story.

I saw the movie "Green Book" yesterday, and I found it was very well done, informative and entertaining at the same time, which isn't an easy task... but I also recognized a good dose of the Hollywood rethoric - maybe more tolerable in this case, because the other aspects of the movie were done so well.
I found both lead actors excellent, and I had good fun seeing Viggo, who has Danish background, effectively turn himself into a Sicilian-American... grin

So it seems that many people, me included, have to do a bit of homework and dig an artist who has remained neglegted for a long time. I'm starting today. smile

Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: marino] #2975067 02/11/19 12:53 PM
F
Franz Schiller Offline
F
I heard about Don Shirley here on this forum a few years ago. Looked him up, and of course LOVE HIM, so I was able to find a CD. Great stuff. A real pioneer and a bad ass organist.

Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: S_Gould] #2975107 02/11/19 04:50 PM
B
BenWaB3 Offline
B
Originally Posted By: S_Gould
I grew up listening to Don Shirley; my father was a big fan. I always liked & remembered his stuff, but NO ONE I ever met later in life had ever heard of him. Gradually he slipped toward the back of my consciousness. "The Gospel According to Don Shirley" remains the best Sunday morning hangover music there is. grin

Actually Hank Jones/Charlie Haden's "Come Sunday" album would be great for that too - I guess (I haven't had any alcohol in many a year) smile I grew up listening to him too but in this case it would be me in your Father's age group rather than getting it from my own Father

Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: marino] #2975210 02/12/19 01:15 AM
D
d / halfnote Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Originally Posted By: marino
Growing up in Europe, I had absolutely no idea who Don Shirley was. Later, I read something in books, and I was under the impression that he was some kind of virtuoso salon pianist out of New Orleans in the early 20th century, like Jelly Roll Morton. I didn't realize that he was of a later generation, and certainly I didn't imagine his unique story.

I saw the movie "Green Book" yesterday, and I found it was very well done, informative and entertaining at the same time, which isn't an easy task... but I also recognized a good dose of the Hollywood rethoric - maybe more tolerable in this case, because the other aspects of the movie were done so well.
I found both lead actors excellent, and I had good fun seeing Viggo, who has Danish background, effectively turn himself into a Sicilian-American... grin

So it seems that many people, me included, have to do a bit of homework and dig an artist who has remained neglegted for a long time. I'm starting today. smile

Hey....that's interesting.
Marino, whom I recognize as a long-time MPlayer KB cat w/ a deep musical awareness is here starting at square 1 w/ me & some others !
grin
FWIW, some of the comments above hint at what might be of interest abt DS but could those comments be elaborated upon ?
I get the idea that for most of us DS may be a channel not tracked.
snax

d=halfnote
Re: Any real Don Shirley aficionados ? [Re: d / halfnote] #2975961 02/15/19 05:53 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Giving this one another go-round
in case it was missed by anyone...
or if there are some specific comments in response to this:
I always think the fullest understanding/appreciation of an artists work comes from its study...
one person's fave may be quite diff from another's
but
are there any thoughts on his catalog
& what would be considered greater vs lesser ?
Deeper & more difficult ?
Which are your faves & why ?
Which do you simply leave aside ?

d=halfnote

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner