Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2974781 - 02/09/19 09:10 AM the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Seems to be a lotta yack here lately abt
the Death of This
That
Yer Hat &
Th'Other...

Let's find out
if it's
really just some o'us that's dead & dyin
or if we still tryin'.

HERE'S THE GAME
Start 1 place & go another
maybe go back to square 1
or maybe wind up someplace completely diff.
Take as many steps as ya wanna
in as many directions as ya wanna
but take some steps...
that is
DOOO something.

Hear hear an exercise ta get ya loosened up

Ya'll ready ?
GO !
Meet back here
in the near future
w/a report on what ya done.

In the meantime
(& time can be mean)
Post something abt music that expresses
what ya value
&
why ya have or don't have
hope for the future ya gonna have to live in
& how music's gonna play a role.
-------
Note, player participation
IS required
If ya layin' out
ya stayin' out.

w00t rockit rawk PianoBanana rimshot rawk keys w00t

GP Island
#2974801 - 02/09/19 10:35 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: d]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Here is what I value most about music and these forums, music to me is alive and well, because I enjoy it each day that I play. Some days when it comes out mostly right, I am very pleased to be able to still play.

Some-days the practice routine is a chore, and always is during the boring finger exercises, & scales are the biggest chore, but as the session goes on, and I began to play against my sets of backing tracks, my joy at playing comes right back.

Emily Remler one of my guitar teachers said this; and I quote "I am a slave to this thing", & I can't argue with that because if you don't practice, you don't excel. You have to practice even more when you get older like me. because you lose dexterity, and sometimes get neuropathy which means less feeling in the fingers.

But in the end, it is a joy to be able to create and reproduce your music. That is very fulfilling......
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2974810 - 02/09/19 11:49 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: desertbluesman]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
What I enjoy about this and other fora (forums?) is how we each look at music and particularly the guitar differently. It's great to hear from other guitar enthusiasts on subjects on which I have preconceived notions but after listening (reading) other people's posts, I find something new that never occurred to me.

For example, we had a discussion on C6 tuning as it related to the lap steel. One day when I was noodling around on acoustic, I tuned to C6 and found that minor keys were easier to mix with the major. Never thought about it before.

As I said on another forum, I admit to spending a lot more time on Facebook that on these forums but they are not as focused as this one. So when I want to recall some topic like C6 tuning or a discussion/review of a specific brand of amp or guitar, you can't get there from here on the Social Medial sites like FB.

#2974896 - 02/10/19 04:32 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: DocPate]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I'm pretty sure the last two posts AREN'T what d is trying for....

So get ready for the vitriol storm.
Whitefang

#2974913 - 02/10/19 07:42 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I was on the other thread talking about guitars being dead with d and posted a youtube clip of a new guitarist I discovered teaching Scotty Moore leads to a couple of old Elvis tunes that I'm revisiting. His name is Tom Conlon and he uses the same hybrid picking style I use. One of the tunes I posted was Lawdy Miss Clawdy and the other one is this one My Baby Left Me:

I have never copied leads note for note and don't know exactly why I'm doing it now. I have always credited Scotty Moore as my major influence and mentor for my guitar work. There were many years that went by before I ever learned his name, but there was never a time that I didn't know his guitar playing when I heard it. So I'm keeping it alive! My old high school buddies still get together and play the oldies to include The Ventures that our band copied. Happy Birthday to Don Wilson today BTW!

Anyway, I'm returning to my roots and picking on a couple of Scotty Moore leads from '56 or so. Next time I get together with the boys and they ask for some Elvis, I'm going to bust out a Scotty Moore lead LOL! Also, on the second go round, I'll throw in my own improvisation on it!

Hope this qualifies, as I find I still like revisiting the older tunes and for some reason enjoy the 30's and 40's tunes and chord changes...It's true, if you don't learn from history, You are doomed to repeat it LOL! I'll come back in the future and let you know how the Elvis session went! cool

Edited by Larryz (02/10/19 07:45 AM)

#2974947 - 02/10/19 12:50 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:

Nah, on both accounts.
Notice how the poster of that had nothing himself to actually contribute but used the post to try to malign me.
So let's FORGET Mistra NOTHINGBUTRANDOMCAPS Has T. Say. rolleyes

Sometimes,
when addressing a set of perceived/purported artists
(or even musicians grin )
it seems that they should be able to figure out what's being said
even when that being said is
in some pote-ery-etic slang being slung at 'em.

#2974962 - 02/10/19 02:32 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: d]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2974989 - 02/10/19 05:27 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

DannyAlc,
Kinda on a downer track, eh ?
[Hey,man, it rhymes !]
Or izzat only a comment on the thread title ?
I started w/Brad, that person being the one w/whom I'm totally unfamiliar.
Interesting vox, capable of multiple timbres& quite soulful, esp in the falsetto.
"...Who'll be my friend ?
That wind's pushing one down...&...ands's left my love paper thin"
Nice gtr part as well....but they ain't nothin' dead abt that gtr ! rawk

#2974997 - 02/10/19 06:55 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I’ve been thinking about songs inspired by death and the transition into the afterlife for some time, recently. Not that I’m dying any faster than anyone else or such. It’s just that something about the subject has always been...inspirational to so many creative types. Sometimes it’s a memorial, like Clapton’s “Tears in Heaven” or Gojira’s “Lowlands”. Other times, it’s a warning...or merely curiosity about the other side.

Each of those I listed are among my faves for each of those artists. I play a goodly portion of the Zep tune, and sing along with both the EJ and Brad songs on occasion.

Here’s one I found a couple years ago that I meant to include, but forgot to:

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/10/19 06:59 PM)

#2975003 - 02/10/19 07:04 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I'm returning to my roots and picking on a couple of Scotty Moore leads from '56 or so. Next time I get together with the boys and they ask for some Elvis, I'm going to bust out a Scotty Moore lead LOL! Also, on the second go round, I'll throw in my own improvisation on it!

Make sure you include the most, uh, distinctive gtr solo on any EAP record [1:20 ~ 1:44], this one from 1957, IIRC.

Elvis’s vocal on “Too Much” is an energetic but simple, repetitive chant. What gives the recording its distinctive character, instead, is Scotty Moore’s unusual guitar solo. In the 1971 radio documentary, The Elvis Presley Story, Scotty recalled how it came about:
“I don’t remember now exactly what I had nailed down for the solo instrumental part. It was in an odd key … well, for most guitar players, I would say. When my instrumental part came, I absolutely just got lost. I didn’t know where I was at. But from the experience we had already gained in these months behind us, in playing on stage, you go ahead, you just keep on going, and this is what I did. And this was the take that was released.”
In his 1997 book, That’s Alright, Elvis, Scotty again described his guitar solo, this time attributing spitefulness to Elvis in his decision to use that particular take: “We did several takes, but on this particular one, I just got lost. I just kept chunking away. I didn’t make any mistakes, but it wasn’t the same solo I played on the other takes. Somehow I came out of it exactly where I was supposed to be.”
When the song was over, Elvis called for a playback. As he listened, he looked at Scotty with a grin. “He knew I had gotten lost, but he loved the way it turned out,” said Scotty. “When the song ended, he raised up and said, ‘That’s it,’ and he did it for damned meanness. He knew I had gotten lost and he knew damned well I would have to live with it.”

#2975005 - 02/10/19 07:18 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I’ve been thinking about songs inspired by death and the transition into the afterlife for some time, recently. Not that I’m dying any faster than anyone else or such. It’s just that something about the subject has always been...inspirational to so many creative types.

Hmmm, that SkyBurrito by Nadja's even more dronerific than the earlier Brainiac Eno track facepalm

Try these 2 on fer size...

& decades later the Capt B + Magic Band version

I'll take yer submission (wink-wink) but suggest that the more important part of any end is what comes next, which serves here to segue back to the main point.
NEXT !

#2975015 - 02/10/19 08:14 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Post something abt music that expresses
what ya value
&
why ya have or don't have
hope for the future ya gonna have to live in
& how music's gonna play a role.

I listen to so many different kinds of music, distillation of what I “value” is...protean.

Within a genre, I value the traditions and norms that have been laid down by countless performers. But I also value those who try to say something new; pushing boundaries, breaking with convention, interjecting new ideas.

I value complexity AND simplicity, depending on the requirements of the music.

I value those who pay homage to the past, and those who ask someone to “hold their beer” while they show us all a new path forward.

I don’t value showing off just for the sake of showing off. Virtuosity is best when it served the music, not when the music is primarily crafted to show virtuosity.

#2975021 - 02/10/19 09:25 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ d, Yeah I still hear that solo in Too Much as it has stayed in my brain for many years. It's what made rock and roll cool daddy-o...as Brian Setzer says "close enough for rock and roll"...Scotty has a lot of cool stories in YouTube interviews that I listen to from time to time. He said Elvis never told him, Bill and DJ what or how to play. He would maybe ask for a change of key or a little slow down or speed up...but they were free to improvise (even if it came out a little lost). Scotty was asked how he came up with all those old leads and he said he didn't know how he did it, he just through everything he knew at it! cool

#2975038 - 02/11/19 03:53 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: d
Quote:

Nah, on both accounts.
Notice how the poster of that had nothing himself to actually contribute but used the post to try to malign me.

Nope. Nothing about that post was an attempt to "malign" you. Actually, this whole response did do more to prove my statement than to dissuade it. Anyway.....

Was happy to attempt to help. You're welcome.
Whitefang

#2975050 - 02/11/19 05:11 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: d
Quote:

Nah, on both accounts.

Nope. Nothing about that post was an attempt to "malign" you. Actually, this whole response did do more to prove my statement than to dissuade it. Anyway.....

Was happy to attempt to help. You're welcome.

& he's still got nothing relevant to say rolleyes

#2975106 - 02/11/19 11:44 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: d]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
The journey of 1000 miles, begins with a single step, and all that . . . Here are some of the things I've done, to move myself and my Music forward, just since the beginning of the year.

Mid-January, I got to perform in a Percussion ensemble (mostly Glockenspiels), playing from a written score, for a friend's memorial. FWIW, I've never played the Glockenspiel before, never mind from a written score, but I have enough Percussion skills to carry it off.

Livened up a sterile Beat Track for a buddy in England, by editing and adding live Percussion: he's since asked me to submit an original Percussion track of my own for the next compilation album.

Had a couple of rehearsal & recording sessions with my bandmate in preparation for our show in two weeks time. We've gotten five or six new tracks up on our website and on Youtube, just within the past month.

I've made great progress with the two-hand tapping technique on my 8-string, and tried out a used 7-string that may yet come home with me. It needs a little attention, but so did the 8-string. New string set, a few minor adjustments, we should be good.

I've already lined up local shows, either solo or with my partner in Novparolo, for every month from February through November, plus Robotfest in April, a House Concert in May, and a local benefit show in June. We may even make some money this year!?!?! Even if not, we have a lot of fun getting together.

I'm semi-retired, so there's no excuse for me just sitting at home on my ass, whenever anyone invites me to play, and there's no excuse for me not to try something I'm curious about, in terms of Music. For me, the Guitar won't die until they pry it from my cold, dead hands, and even then, as Fats Waller said, "One never knows, do one?"

http://www.novparolo.com

#2975229 - 02/11/19 08:57 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

At 1st I wondered what a gtr/glock ensemble might sound like, esp w/how loud those firearms might be, then I realized yer're writing abt a friend's memorial & some actual glockenspiels, not the guns, so I got real still, quiet & respectful like everyone knows I alwayz never am.... rolleyes
On The Real, that's great WPS !
N U know I mean that, eh ?! cool

#2975244 - 02/11/19 11:18 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Oh, I don’t know...gunfire can be very rhythmic.

I actually suggested to one of my rapper clients to sample some gunfire and use it for some if not all of the beats in a track. He didn’t do it- ultimately, it didn’t fit his style. But I’m pretty sure that some clever person could actually pull it off.

Consider:

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/11/19 11:22 PM)

#2975252 - 02/12/19 03:40 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

And then, somewhat earlier on.....

laugh wink

Whitefang

#2975299 - 02/12/19 07:25 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Being a gun and guitar kinda guy, here's my entry into combining the two!

Lots of fun! cool

#2975312 - 02/12/19 08:41 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Let's end this digression that I accidentally introduced with

#2975318 - 02/12/19 08:57 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Something from Revolver, eh? Subtle! laugh

#2975324 - 02/12/19 09:32 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@d - Well understood, brother. Believe me, when I saw one of the early emails about the piece, with the contraction "Glockestra . . .", I had to look twice. Given that my buddy was an ardent pacifist, I couldn't quite envision sending him off with a 21 Handgun Salute?

Now, in my case, feel free to bring out the heavy artillery . . .

#2975418 - 02/12/19 03:45 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Because I haven’t had much exposure to them as a PLAYER, I didn’t know much about the differences between the various idiophones. Because of WPS’s upcoming performance, I decided to erase some of my ignorance:

#2975451 - 02/12/19 09:44 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Something from Revolver, eh? Subtle! laugh

Well, no more/less than "Maching Gun"...or either o'these

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
@d - Well understood, brother. Believe me, when I saw one of the early emails about the piece, with the contraction "Glockestra . . .", I had to look twice. Given that my buddy was an ardent pacifist, I couldn't quite envision sending him off with a 21 Handgun Salute?

Now, in my case, feel free to bring out the heavy artillery . . .

Don't ya mean "Art-Tillery" ? idk
Kinda funn(k)y since the OP started w/Clinton's cats doing "Field maneuvers"
Because I haven’t had much exposure to them as a PLAYER, I didn’t know much about the differences between the various idiophones. Because of WPS’s upcoming performance, I decided to erase some of my ignorance:

Oh, you ain't done yet, Cat...

#2975465 - 02/13/19 05:25 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: d]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sidebar - I have more Percussion Instruments than anything, over 150 different Hand Drums, Shakers, Rattles, Bells, Chimes, you name it, along with sticks, brushes, mallets and beaters of various kinds. I've been playing Percussion for about 30 years, as opposed to over 50 years of Guitar playing, and not quite 40 years of playing Synth.

#2975536 - 02/13/19 11:48 AM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Cool, WPS!

And FWIW, d, thanks for those vids. Funnily enough, I knew more about those than I did about the idiophones...and I LOVE idiophones. I just never learned the distinctions between them. I guess some (stupid) part of me just assumed they were different names for different sizes, plus the electric version.

I could easily post some vids about the Aprehension Engine, Waterphone, and other oddball instruments, but I think that would be WAAAAAAAY off-topic.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/13/19 11:50 AM)

#2975603 - 02/13/19 05:30 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Sidebar - I have more Percussion Instruments than anything, over 150 different Hand Drums, Shakers, Rattles, Bells, Chimes, you name it, along with sticks, brushes, mallets and beaters of various kinds. I've been playing Percussion for about 30 years, as opposed to over 50 years of Guitar playing, and not quite 40 years of playing Synth.

The really great thing abt perc insts is that they can be completely
cracked up
broken
& even reduced to just bits & pieces of material
BUT STILL BE FULLY EFFECTIVE, FUNCTIONAL MUSICAL TOOLS !
I could easily post some vids about the Aprehension Engine, Waterphone, and other oddball instruments, but I think that would be WAAAAAAAY off-topic.

There's no "too OT" here.
We're here
to hear.
Bless & bliss our ears.
snax

#2975633 - 02/13/19 08:25 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, here’s the two I mentioned:

#2975634 - 02/13/19 08:33 PM Re: the Gtr is Dead / Myoosic is Dead / Woe is yo mama [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

The piano has hammered strings. The harpsichord has plucked strings, what keyboard instrument has bowed strings?

Leonardo Da Vinci’s Viola Organista:

Here’s a percussion instrument you may have heard but misidentified; the Hang Drum, aka the Handpan

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/13/19 08:42 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose