Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2974738 - 02/09/19 07:42 AM What options to replace my Yamaha Motif
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I have an original Motif 61 I have used for years, and was about to buy a used Motif as a back up should mine decide to crap out. Then I thought I should be looking at newer technology.
I use the Motif for Strings (built several patches) and Horns (Sledgehamer etc.) as well as synth sounds for old funk/ 80's stuff and some bells/vox or bells/strings. I have used the clavs and Eps from time to time.
I also midi my Roland VK8m to it for organ. So if the new keyboard could cover that all the better.
I currently use a Roland VR-09 in my second rig to cover this stuff but the strings and synth patches are not strong enough.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

KC Island
#2974740 - 02/09/19 07:45 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
Iíd strongly recommend a Kurzweil, but if you need a synth action, a Forte isnít available in that size. A PC3K6 is a bit long in the tooth, but I would still recommend checking one out. My older PC361 still sounds great, itís wonderfully playable, and itís used in every song I record (usually on multiple tracks).

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

#2974745 - 02/09/19 07:56 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Sundown]
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Florida
I also went from a Motif to a pc361, primarily due to the better organ. I think it is just as strong in every other category, and synth-wise it is far more programmable (though my skills in that area are lacking!). Horns might be an exception, I don't use them anymore but they sound pretty weak to me on the Kurzweil. Strings, I think you would be very happy.

Only two reservations: my screen has been flickering for a while, and this seems to be a common problem. it also refused to boot properly at one gig, but this was a one-time thing and I suspect it was iffy power at the venue. In any case, out of 200 or so gigs it has only done this once, and going into their "safe mode" and booting from there cleared it up. The screen at some point will go out.

2nd reservation is that it isn't light, but it's about the same as the Motif 6 and is much easier to handle--the shape isn't quite as bulky and it doesn't have the awkward angles of the Motif that would IMO make that easier to drop.

If you play mono, I have had no reason to have to edit the pc361 patches other than turning off panning for the leslie fx I use (I also adjusted the leslie speed(s)). I had issues on most synth patches, particular Performances, on the Motif. They would change a LOT in mono, due to the stereo fx used.

Action wise, the pc361 is slightly preferred over the Motif. I think it's among the best I've ever used. Motif is nice too though.

The new Yamaha modx would likely be a big step forward in most areas from the Motif. Organ though....doesn't sound much better, which is disappointing.

If I keep playing live, my plan is to get something "next level" for organ that can do other sounds too. Mojo maybe, or an electro, and still have the "jack of all trades" keyboard as well.

#2974747 - 02/09/19 08:00 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Sundown]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Newer tech - The Montage comes to mind. Just keep in mind that the structure is very different from the Motif in respect to connecting to other instruments. It is a great stand alone keyboard. Does not MIDI will to others if you want to create splits and layers using a mix of internal sounds and external devices. It would work to use it as a master to the VK8M for dedicated organ playing as long as you are not creating splits and layers.

My first choice would be the Kronos. With it you could do away with the VK8m. Kronos 3 is still the king of modern stage keyboards. It will cover most anything. I use two, a 61 and a 73 and consider it the perfect stage setup. My only grip is the Korg sample protection system. If I buy a orchestral sample set and put it on my 61, I cannot also install it on my 73 because it registers to an internal identifier. One of my main likes of a dual Kronos setup is mirroring the internal sounds so that if one goes down I have the other. With purchased sample sets from Korg I cannot do that, so I don't buy any.

#2974750 - 02/09/19 08:08 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Sundown]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
It sounds like you have an original "Classic" Motif, which is the earliest of all Motifs. What is your budget? And do you have any PLG cards that you still use or require? If you want to re-use PLG cards then your only option is a Motif ES, which is also much more powerful than the Classic. But if you do not use PLG cards then pretty much any of the newer Motifs (ES/XS/XF & including even the MX series) can supplant it. A MODX6 may also be a possibility depending on your needs?

Can you give us a better idea of your budget, and which features (like aftertouch for example) are most important?

NumaCompact 2x, Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,AN,VL,VH; Kawai MP6, Yamaha CP-33; Hammond XK-1, Rhodes MK-80, Roland P-330, Yamaha AN-200, Yamaha TX7

#2974752 - 02/09/19 08:11 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: RABid]
Music Bird Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Maybe the following:
Korg Kronos 61/73
Roland FA-07
Kurzweil PC361
Yamaha Montage (itís a better version of the Motif sound engine)
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha Genos (?)
Korg Krome 61/73
With a Kronos 61 & 73 I would agree it would replace the entire rig.
Montage has FM for some sounds. I like layering synth brass with horn section samples (though I usually use synth brass).

Edited by Music Bird (02/09/19 08:12 AM)

#2974754 - 02/09/19 08:13 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Stokely]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Frankly it was the Forte thread that got me looking in another direction. I would love to find a lite weight keyboard and really like the VR-09. It just doesn't have enough umph for what I need.
I was not impressed with the Yamaha MODX, when I played it some time back. But I was more interested in a weighted keyboard and picked up My RD-2000 to cover that. I am sure with programing I could probably tweak the MODX but I also know Yamaha's are a bugger to program based on the Motif. I was really hoping Kurzweil would have something newer than the PC361 in a lighter weight.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2974755 - 02/09/19 08:17 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: The_Star_Guy]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Thereís always my Motif XF7 in the KC classifieds ... which is much more powerful than Motif ES. as a Motif guy you already understand it so its a short learning curve. It has better versions of all the sounds you rely on your board for. Its weakness is B3 and you have that covered with your VR-09. (Still the same weakness on Montage imo). (Cough). semi-weighted synth like action.

New: MODX is a cheaper version of Montage. You can read about the subtractions from Montage at various sites.

#2974756 - 02/09/19 08:17 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Sundown]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
So many options but it depends on how deeply you used what the Motif is capable of, but an MODX6 is an obvious choice.

#2974759 - 02/09/19 08:19 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: The_Star_Guy]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: The_Star_Guy
It sounds like you have an original "Classic" Motif, which is the earliest of all Motifs. What is your budget? And do you have any PLG cards that you still use or require? If you want to re-use PLG cards then your only option is a Motif ES, which is also much more powerful than the Classic. But if you do not use PLG cards then pretty much any of the newer Motifs (ES/XS/XF & including even the MX series) can supplant it. A MODX6 may also be a possibility depending on your needs?

Can you give us a better idea of your budget, and which features (like aftertouch for example) are most important?

I do not use the PLG cards so that is not a concern. As far as budget goes, the lower the price is the sooner I could make the move. That said I would say $3000 is pushing the top of my budget. If Nord had one to cover it all I might consider it but I have never gotten the RedBug.

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2974773 - 02/09/19 08:55 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
Shamanczarek Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ
I would consider a Nord Stage 3 Compact. Better Organ than most others with drawbars. Dedicated Synth section. More variety of Pianos and vintage Keyboard sounds. 73-key Synth action. A great live performance board that can cover all the bases.

#2974776 - 02/09/19 09:01 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: BluesKeys
I use the Motif for Strings (built several patches) and Horns (Sledgehamer etc.) as well as synth sounds for old funk/ 80's stuff and some bells/vox or bells/strings. I have used the clavs and Eps from time to time.
I also midi my Roland VK8m to it for organ. So if the new keyboard could cover that all the better.

I generally agree with the others, that Kurz is one of the stronger non-Yamaha options for the sounds you mention.

In current non-hammer boards, for strings and horns, I'd look at MODX/Montage, Kurzweil Artis 7, Roland FA (with the appropriate expansions loaded), Kronos (with the appropriate expansions loaded). The Yamaha options have the virtue of being most capable of emulating the Motif sounds you already like. Though with some effort, you might get satisfactory results sampling some of your Motif sounds into the Kronos, as well.

Out of those, Kurzweil, Roland, and Kronos have VA synth engines; Yamaha and Kronos have FM synth engines.

Kurzweil and Kronos are the best of them for organ; FA can be good if you don't care about real-time drawbar control and if you send its organ to the sub out to put it through a Vent or similar.

Note that any deep sound editing on the Kurz will require using an external editor; and out of the box, it has by far the smallest sound set. There are lots of other sounds you can load into it, though the process is not so obvious.

Also, only the Kronos and Montage give you aftertouch, so you wouldn't have to give that up from your Motif.

Personal preference obviously comes into it, but on paper, I'd say Kronos looks like best bet.

I currently use a Roland VR-09 in my second rig to cover this stuff but the strings and synth patches are not strong enough.

"Synth" covers a lot of territory, but VR-09 is pretty capable there, have you used the iPad app?

#2974777 - 02/09/19 09:05 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No need to spend $3k to replace/upgrade your Motif unless you want to buy a flagship or a Nord smile. if you do - all the power, go do it and be happy. If thats the mindset, you wonít be happy with any value segment board - it will just gnaw at you and gnaw at you that you could be riding a shiny steed instead.

If you liked Motif but just want to get current - MODX7 is a ridiculous value at $1500 imho. Get 6 at $1200 if you must but the 7 is very compact and an extra octave is always handier than we expect. Canít add it on later. MODX has all the strings, mallets, percussions, horns, reeds, winds, etc etc etc. better than you had in Motif, plus better AP, EP, synth etc etc - its like 4 generations of technical upgrade from what you have. VR-09 covers your B3, which is the sonic weakness of all Yamaha boards.

But if you have been married to Yamaha a long time and you want to see other ladies ... others can guide you to appropriate dating sites. Spread your wings, get out there and live! Many like the Kurz, iíve never played or even seen one but i donít get out much except if iím Actually playing. FA-07 is Rolandís offering (or 06), it has a lot to offer and expansion packs for customizing to a particular need (e.g. orchestral). I think MODX blows Krome out of consideration but there are happy owners so ? Itís all personal, what connects with you.

I havenít gotten the red bug ether.

#2974779 - 02/09/19 09:07 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Pairing your RD-2000 with a Kronos 61 would be a killer rig, albeit at the upper end of your budget. I think brother Allan Evett uses such a rig, perhaps he will see this thread and chime it.

#2974782 - 02/09/19 09:14 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Got It! If you are also not using the internal sequencer then I would start looking at either MX49/61 or the MODX6 or MODX7 from Yamaha, and also any Kurweil options as others have suggested.

NumaCompact 2x, Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,AN,VL,VH; Kawai MP6, Yamaha CP-33; Hammond XK-1, Rhodes MK-80, Roland P-330, Yamaha AN-200, Yamaha TX7

#2974788 - 02/09/19 09:35 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: RABid
Newer tech - The Montage comes to mind. Just keep in mind that the structure is very different from the Motif in respect to connecting to other instruments. It is a great stand alone keyboard. Does not MIDI will to others if you want to create splits and layers using a mix of internal sounds and external devices. It would work to use it as a master to the VK8M for dedicated organ playing as long as you are not creating splits and layers.

Not true... it MIDIs just fine for creating splits and layers using a mix of internal sounds and external devices (which would include using it to drive a VK8M). I think you're thinking about the limitations the Montage has compared to a Motif when its sounds are being controlled by external gear, but there are no particular issues controlling external gear. In fact, it actually beats the Motif there... a Motif Performance supported up to 4 MIDI zones with their own Program Change parameters, etc,... the Montage/MODX support up to 16, I believe.

Originally Posted By: RABid
One of my main likes of a dual Kronos setup is mirroring the internal sounds so that if one goes down I have the other. With purchased sample sets from Korg I cannot do that, so I don't buy any.

You can contact Korg and they will let you transfer your licenses to a new Kronos. I don't know if they require that you remove them from your first one, it might be worth checking into that.

I am sure with programing I could probably tweak the MODX but I also know Yamaha's are a bugger to program based on the Motif.

MODX is easier to work with then the Motif.

I was really hoping Kurzweil would have something newer than the PC361 in a lighter weight.

Artis 7 comes close... it can load all PC361 programs, has updated Kore64 sounds (so you get some better brass), and it's somewhat lighter, despite having 76 keys instead of 61. You do lose some things, though, including aftertouch and on-board editing, and it's still not super-light (28 lbs iirc). Wanting something lighter also argues against my first choice Kronos. Lightweight probably argues most for the MODX or the Roland FA. Roland wins on organ (at least with external sim) and VA synth. Yamaha wins in FM synth, and IMO, action and overall sound set. It also has a gig of memory into which you can load other sounds.

If Nord had one to cover it all I might consider it

I think you'll be disappointed in the strings and brass. (Though you could use ite EXT functions to grab some better strings/brass from an iPhone/iPad or whatever.)

#2974848 - 02/09/19 07:04 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: AnotherScott]
wineandkeyz Offline
Gold Member

Loc: North Carolina
Jimmy, the RDU Craigslist currently has ads for a Motif XF7 Anniversary Edtion and a Motif XS7, both at decent prices. Either would be several steps up from the original, would shorten the learning curve, and would give you another octave to play with. I was eyeing the XF7 myself, but not in a position to buy right now.

#2974863 - 02/09/19 08:24 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: wineandkeyz]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: wineandkeyz
Jimmy, the RDU Craigslist currently has ads for a Motif XF7 Anniversary Edtion and a Motif XS7, both at decent prices. Either would be several steps up from the original, would shorten the learning curve, and would give you another octave to play with. I was eyeing the XF7 myself, but not in a position to buy right now.

I have an XF7 on the KC classifieds ... open to offers. Itís a great board.

#2974905 - 02/10/19 06:02 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: wineandkeyz]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: wineandkeyz

Don, I almost pulled the trigger on the one of the Motifs on CL. But started thinking these are still 7-10 years old, there has got to be something New that will work for maybe double the price or less!!!

Thanks guys, I need to find a Kurz and Yamaha to compare side to side.
I should also not rule out the Roland since I am a fan and the ease of programing! I have never owned a Kurz and have always coveted their Orchestration. I just need to get my hands on these and find out what they can do.

Does anyone have patches set up on these three that work for UpTown Funk, Sledgehammer, Word Up etc.? I don't play those often but I play in 5 bands and any one of them will call those from time to time.

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2974927 - 02/10/19 10:20 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
Music Bird Offline

Kronos has a Sledgehammer shakuhachi sound and performance. Not sure about Word Up and Uptown Funk though. Letís see, Kronos 61 and RD-2000 are 2 good keyboards to use. RD for piano, EP, and keys sounds. Kronos for other stuff. You can get this brass and strings expansion that sounds almost real.

Edited by Music Bird (02/10/19 10:22 AM)

#2974939 - 02/10/19 11:49 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Music Bird]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
The Kronos probably has the most ready-made programs for specific songs. Many (most? all?) of them come from our very own Busch. They are excellent. Click here and then scroll down to view the Program names.

#2974940 - 02/10/19 11:56 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Moonglow]
Randelph Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
5 bands! What are the different music styles?
Roland Street Cube EX / QSC K10, K8.2 / SS V.3

#2975262 - 02/12/19 04:40 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Randelph]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Randelph
5 bands! What are the different music styles?

The main band I play in is an 8pc horn band doing old soul and R&B. Four Tops, Spinners, Tams, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. Another band is in the same circuit, Third band is More rock, top 40, from 80s, 90s up to today, Forth band is a mix of all the above, My Trio does more Soul and Blues, and then I do solo which is all over the place!

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2975263 - 02/12/19 04:43 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have found a friend with an Artis 7 so I hope to spend some time with him this week and have him roll me through it. I am leaning that way. I've always wanted a Kurz. And Our illustrious Grand Poopa itgitc has always had one, so they must be good!!!

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2975266 - 02/12/19 04:52 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I've always wanted a Kurz also but I always ended up with something different. Last go around the Kronos won because Setlist rules. I'm in a Pop band and will use 3 or four Combi in one song. The synth engines like PolySix and MS20 have no learning curves. You just turn knobs on the screen just like an old analog. I thought that straight out of the box the sounds were kind of blah. They all needed tweaked. Especially the effects. A tiny bit of O-verb goes a long way.

Edited by CEB (02/12/19 05:01 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2975877 - 02/15/19 07:49 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: CEB]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So after looking at the Korg Kronos program list thanks to Moonglow it looks like another to consider. So now I have the Artis 7, Kronos, and Yamaha MODX6....
Anyone give me their preferences???

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2975896 - 02/15/19 09:20 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
10k Club

So after looking at the Korg Kronos program list thanks to Moonglow it looks like another to consider. So now I have the Artis 7, Kronos, and Yamaha MODX6....
Anyone give me their preferences???

Summing up my earlier post 2974776... Kronos is the one that I think gives you the most of what you want.

MODX has no real organ or VA engine (though you will still have many of your Motif sounds).

Kurz gives you the organ and VA.

Kronos gives you the organ and VA, and you wouldn't be giving up the aftertouch you now have, and the assignable outs make it easier to add a Vent if you want an even better organ sound, and you can sample other sounds into it (like maybe some of your existing Motif sounds you're afraid you might miss).

#2975905 - 02/15/19 09:37 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: AnotherScott]
N4dr0j Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Scotland
Stephen Fortner had a lot to say about the MODX/Montage (same sounds) in his review. Said almost all of the sounds are better than anything in a similarly priced workstation, and that the organs can be pretty decent with a vent. Many other reviewers have said similar things, some even saying the strings and orchestral sounds match Kurzweil. "The best sounds short of a VST" many have said.

AFAIK (don't quote me on this) Fortner said he thought the Montage/MODX packed a better sonic punch than the Kronos. It has no VA engine, but there isn't a sound you couldn't get out of either the AW2 or FM engine. You're used to Yamaha anyways, and the MODX will have a lot of the sounds you're used to anyways. Besides, the Kronos is getting older and older (not that it makes it any less than the workhorse it is, but you may want to take that into consideration). I'd steer you towards a Montage, or for the same sounds at half the price, the MODX. It's the latest and greatest and should last a long time.

#2975943 - 02/15/19 11:35 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: N4dr0j]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Kronos is still probably the single best all purpose workstation in the world. If ultimate performance is the overwhelming decision criteria, ... it may be for you. But does it do that much more vs MODX to ignore the many advantages you have in MODX? Only you can decide.

I can only say for me, Kronos did not. My key criteria/decision factors were:

- a compact light board that can fly commercial for std luggage rules, not special oversize overweight fees. Kronos in a flight case is over 50 lbs, which costs $75 each way for fly in gigs. MODX in a molded ATA case either flies free (SWA always, Delta I'm Elite status) or std luggage fee on others.

- light enough for backpack gig bag on nearby local gigs. Kronos is too heavy imo / for me.

- immediate transfer import of my Motif XF and MOXF libraries which were programmed over many hundreds of hours to the specific band sets I play today - I was up and running with my new board in literally minutes without having to learn anything. I don't know any way to import from motif classic though, you'd have to figure out how to consecutively translate up through the editions of Motif to get to XF, then it will load.

- close to zero learning curve - I have minimal time to learn and program an entirely new platform architecture.

- lastly - $1300 for MODX7 with a friendly GC coupon from a friend. vs what is Kronos 73 = $3500?

I'd love a kronos but i just don't care that much.

You should play them both if at all possible andd hear them.

Edited by MotiDave (02/15/19 11:35 AM)

#2975953 - 02/15/19 12:15 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: N4dr0j]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: N4dr0j
Stephen Fortner had a lot to say about the MODX/Montage (same sounds) in his review. Said almost all of the sounds are better than anything in a similarly priced workstation, and that the organs can be pretty decent with a vent.

MODX is great. But the OP would like it to be able to do double duty as a VK-8M replacement as well, where Kronos will do much better. Yes, you could put a Vent on the MODX, but you still don't have real-time 9 drawbar control, and a 9-drawbar sound will eat up polyphony like mad (and even more if you're adding things like key click and leakage), and it will have the phasing drawback that non phase-locked sampled implementations have, and to be able to use a Vent on the organ without it being on any other split/layered sounds, you'll have to resign yourself to going mono for everything else.

Price and weight aside, based on what the OP is looking for, I think Kronos is h better match. But if he sticks with the VK-8M, that could change the equation.

Originally Posted By: MotiDave
- lastly - $1300 for MODX7 with a friendly GC coupon from a friend. vs what is Kronos 73 = $3500?

I think he'd be looking at a 61. But the MODX does have the advantage that you can get a lightweight 73 for not too much more than the 61.

#2975970 - 02/15/19 02:18 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: AnotherScott]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Brotha Jimmy, my vote would be Korg Kronos or Roland FA-06. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2976126 - 02/16/19 06:44 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: AnotherScott]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Texas
I own them both (Kronos and MODX) as well as the VK8m. Since organ is important the Kronos wins. If it was a straight up Motif replacement, the MODX is the clear answer. I still own a Motif XF7 and the MODX is my go to board since I got it. Havenít touched the Motif since.

With that said, I did use my PC3 at a small gig last week with a vent and the organ sounded really good. Been a while. So I wouldnít rule out the Kurz Recommendation.

#2978904 - 03/06/19 06:05 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: AnotherScott]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Anyone with a Kurzweil Artis 7 experience what I consider build problems? My friends Artis had an E that was playing but at a low pp volume compared to the rest of the keyboard. I was also not overwhelmed with the bells sounds on this board. I use bells layered with either vox or strings on several tunes. The strings and synth and horn sounds were very usable but some programing would be necessary. Now I need to find a Korg and Yamaha.

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2978906 - 03/06/19 06:33 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

BluesKeys...

cheers

Spring is coming.

I've saved us a table outside at our favorite watering hole.

Hit me up soon. I'm thirsty!

TLH cool

#2978923 - 03/06/19 07:36 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: ITGITC?]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

ITGITC,
Stay Thirsty My Friend!!!
Are you going to see TOP next Monday???

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2979112 - 03/07/19 08:31 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: ProfD]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Originally Posted By: ProfD
Brotha Jimmy, my vote would be Korg Kronos or Roland FA-06. cool

Just saw this thread, and noticed that brother Moonglow had suggested that I jump in. Yes, I think the Kronos 61 would be a great choice. Love mine, especially with Bill Buschís vintage synth libary onboard. I also think the FA06 would be strong as well.

One other option, which is closer to the VR09 in size and price, is the newer Korg Kross 2, 61. While I still will do gigs with the Kronos, the Kross 2 61 offers a form factor that complements my compact rig (Stage 3, 76 on bottom tier) - which is coming more into play now. If all you need is a wide range of sounds, similar to what AWM2 offers in the Motif, the Korg EDS-i engine is equally good - if not better, in some areas. I was surprised at how great the Kross 2 sounds. The Daniel Fisher expansion soundset - offered by Sweetwater - is what sold me.

#2979151 - 03/07/19 01:01 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: allan_evett]
Music Bird Offline

Kronos would be good. It has sounds for songs you mentioned.

#2979188 - 03/07/19 05:29 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Music Bird]
gg22 Offline

I have the Grandstage and organ sounds are "OK" at best, and I think it's the same organ engine as in the Kronos, so don't count on it much.
And don't forget that MODX7 is similar in size to Kronos 61, and half the weight.

#2979228 - 03/08/19 12:38 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: allan_evett]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Originally Posted By: allan_evett

One other option, which is closer to the VR09 in size and price, is the newer Korg Kross 2, 61. While I still will do gigs with the Kronos, the Kross 2 61 offers a form factor that complements my compact rig (Stage 3, 76 on bottom tier) - which is coming more into play now. If all you need is a wide range of sounds, similar to what AWM2 offers in the Motif, the Korg EDS-i engine is equally good - if not better, in some areas. I was surprised at how great the Kross 2 sounds. The Daniel Fisher expansion soundset - offered by Sweetwater - is what sold me.

Interesting choice! The original Kross was a non-starter for me, but the newer Korg Kross 2 has a very interesting form factor and is also on my short list for evaluation as well. I have always respected your opinion since your "spot-on" VR730 evaluation. Can you please expound on your evaluation of it's sounds and features? And just why do you think that it would make a viable 'classic Motif' replacement for a stage rig?

#2979254 - 03/08/19 07:23 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: The_Star_Guy]
10k Club

For the OP, Kross will not take be able to also take the place of the VK8M for organ. But just as a general small and inexpensive rompler-style gigging board, I find the Juno DS more appealing, for the seamless sound transitions, custom sample loading, larger amount of real-time controls (knobs/sliders), I think stronger strings/brass (with the appropriate expansion loaded), and easy independent control of the sound selection/manipulation of two sounds at once (i.e. managing sounds on either side of a split). It's also nicely available in a 76. Kross has the sequencer and better MIDI controller functionality, though, and is smallest/lightest.

#2979654 - 03/11/19 05:33 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: AnotherScott]
paulmapp8306 Offline

Loc: Please select region, state or...
Wait until Roland release their new workstation this summer.

#2979658 - 03/11/19 05:48 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Moonglow]
paulmapp8306 Offline

Loc: Please select region, state or...
Not that Im suggesting it - but I pair my RD2000 with an FA07, a Novation Peak AND a Viscount Legend Expander module - all for the same price as the Kronos 61.....

Edited by paulmapp8306 (03/11/19 05:49 AM)

#2980100 - 03/14/19 10:08 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: paulmapp8306]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Texas
Just as a point of reference. I used my MODX7 last night as a single board setup and the organ really didn't work in a band setting. (Variety 70s-80s-90s) Every thing else worked well in the mix. So used to the SK1/Vent combination that the MODX was a huge disappointment in the organ department.

#2980108 - 03/14/19 11:25 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: The_Star_Guy]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Originally Posted By: The_Star_Guy
Originally Posted By: allan_evett

Interesting choice! The original Kross was a non-starter for me, but the newer Korg Kross 2 has a very interesting form factor and is also on my short list for evaluation as well. I have always respected your opinion since your "spot-on" VR730 evaluation. Can you please expound on your evaluation of it's sounds and features? And just why do you think that it would make a viable 'classic Motif' replacement for a stage rig?

I'm just getting to know the Kross 2; gigged it for the first time this past weekend. Will plan to post a more detailed analysis, likely in the Kross 2 thread, but for now I definitely find the instrument comparable to a classic Motif, sound-wise. Two things that caught my eyes and ears right away were the Daniel Fisher soundset, plus the comprehensive free editor/librarian from Korg. While the factory sounds are gig-capable - and many even stellar, the results from using the DF sounds and Korg editor are starting to up the game a bit. With only edits of factory Programs I dialed in octave brass and distorted lead patches that got several compliments. Meanwhile, a couple of edits of DF sounds yielded a very usable and dynamic 'clear' piano (scooped at 400 Hz, and boosted at 6KHZ), plus a surprisingly good amped Mark I. While I do use a weighted-action stage piano, these tones could actually get me though a gig in a pinch, and still sound professional. The factory organs will definitely not replace a clone, but neither could the Motif. Meanwhile, the Daniel Fisher B3 Combis are better - using Programs to cover the organ footages, and the modwheel to adjust levels. Still not quite a clone replacer, but certainly blurring the difference. I could cover a very basic gig with these.

#2980114 - 03/14/19 12:21 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: allan_evett]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Hey Jimmy, greetings from a fellow (now) RDU citizen!

Iím kind of in a similar place but with my XS-8 that I have been on since 2008.

Actually, thatís not quite true, it hardly leaves home now, and my daughter is very attached to it....portability not itís strong suit, but man I miss itís patches on stage. For live Iíve been using a combination of of my aging NE3 73 and PX5S. So Iím really looking at doing something with those two.

Been a NS3 Compact lean, but I went to guitar center and played the Montage, and man, it feels so nice and familiar. So Iíd highly recommend spending time on each, though it can be tough to find all the contenders.

Mostly wanted to say hello, Iíll be following this thread!

Edited by Fusker (03/14/19 12:25 PM)
Edit Reason: English

#2980130 - 03/14/19 02:02 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Fusker]
Marillo Offline

Loc: UK
I use a Juno DS loaded in its expansion slot with the Orchestral Strings card. They're really very good and give more choices than the factory set.

It also now includes multisampling which is really easy to use. I recently ripped the backing vocals for Queen's 'Show Must Go On' from YouTube and had them set up in a Performance with a string patch. Sounded huge.

It also has a phrase pad which allows you to trigger little sequences - I use this currently for the synth figure in Dancing on the Ceiling (which isn't quite an arpeggio, but a played sequence).

It's a really versatile little synth. Having owned a VR-09 I can say the organs aren't upto that standard, nor the VA synth. But i recently added a Roland SE-02 boutique module for that, at a cost of under 300 pounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner