Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2975970 - 02/15/19 02:18 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: AnotherScott]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Brotha Jimmy, my vote would be Korg Kronos or Roland FA-06. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

KC Island
#2976126 - 02/16/19 06:44 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: AnotherScott]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Texas
I own them both (Kronos and MODX) as well as the VK8m. Since organ is important the Kronos wins. If it was a straight up Motif replacement, the MODX is the clear answer. I still own a Motif XF7 and the MODX is my go to board since I got it. Havenít touched the Motif since.

With that said, I did use my PC3 at a small gig last week with a vent and the organ sounded really good. Been a while. So I wouldnít rule out the Kurz Recommendation.

#2978904 - 03/06/19 06:05 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: AnotherScott]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Anyone with a Kurzweil Artis 7 experience what I consider build problems? My friends Artis had an E that was playing but at a low pp volume compared to the rest of the keyboard. I was also not overwhelmed with the bells sounds on this board. I use bells layered with either vox or strings on several tunes. The strings and synth and horn sounds were very usable but some programing would be necessary. Now I need to find a Korg and Yamaha.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2978906 - 03/06/19 06:33 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: BluesKeys]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

BluesKeys...

cheers

Spring is coming.

I've saved us a table outside at our favorite watering hole.

Hit me up soon. I'm thirsty!

TLH cool

#2978923 - 03/06/19 07:36 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: ITGITC?]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

ITGITC,
Stay Thirsty My Friend!!!
Are you going to see TOP next Monday???

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2979112 - 03/07/19 08:31 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: ProfD]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Originally Posted By: ProfD
Brotha Jimmy, my vote would be Korg Kronos or Roland FA-06. cool

Just saw this thread, and noticed that brother Moonglow had suggested that I jump in. Yes, I think the Kronos 61 would be a great choice. Love mine, especially with Bill Buschís vintage synth libary onboard. I also think the FA06 would be strong as well.

One other option, which is closer to the VR09 in size and price, is the newer Korg Kross 2, 61. While I still will do gigs with the Kronos, the Kross 2 61 offers a form factor that complements my compact rig (Stage 3, 76 on bottom tier) - which is coming more into play now. If all you need is a wide range of sounds, similar to what AWM2 offers in the Motif, the Korg EDS-i engine is equally good - if not better, in some areas. I was surprised at how great the Kross 2 sounds. The Daniel Fisher expansion soundset - offered by Sweetwater - is what sold me.

#2979151 - 03/07/19 01:01 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: allan_evett]
Music Bird Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Kronos would be good. It has sounds for songs you mentioned.

#2979188 - 03/07/19 05:29 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Music Bird]
gg22 Offline

I have the Grandstage and organ sounds are "OK" at best, and I think it's the same organ engine as in the Kronos, so don't count on it much.
And don't forget that MODX7 is similar in size to Kronos 61, and half the weight.

#2979228 - 03/08/19 12:38 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: allan_evett]
The_Star_Guy Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Originally Posted By: allan_evett

One other option, which is closer to the VR09 in size and price, is the newer Korg Kross 2, 61. While I still will do gigs with the Kronos, the Kross 2 61 offers a form factor that complements my compact rig (Stage 3, 76 on bottom tier) - which is coming more into play now. If all you need is a wide range of sounds, similar to what AWM2 offers in the Motif, the Korg EDS-i engine is equally good - if not better, in some areas. I was surprised at how great the Kross 2 sounds. The Daniel Fisher expansion soundset - offered by Sweetwater - is what sold me.

Interesting choice! The original Kross was a non-starter for me, but the newer Korg Kross 2 has a very interesting form factor and is also on my short list for evaluation as well. I have always respected your opinion since your "spot-on" VR730 evaluation. Can you please expound on your evaluation of it's sounds and features? And just why do you think that it would make a viable 'classic Motif' replacement for a stage rig?

NumaCompact 2x, Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,AN,VL,VH; Kawai MP6, Yamaha CP-33; Hammond XK-1, Rhodes MK-80, Roland P-330, Yamaha AN-200, Yamaha TX7

#2979254 - 03/08/19 07:23 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: The_Star_Guy]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

For the OP, Kross will not take be able to also take the place of the VK8M for organ. But just as a general small and inexpensive rompler-style gigging board, I find the Juno DS more appealing, for the seamless sound transitions, custom sample loading, larger amount of real-time controls (knobs/sliders), I think stronger strings/brass (with the appropriate expansion loaded), and easy independent control of the sound selection/manipulation of two sounds at once (i.e. managing sounds on either side of a split). It's also nicely available in a 76. Kross has the sequencer and better MIDI controller functionality, though, and is smallest/lightest.

#2979654 - 03/11/19 05:33 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: AnotherScott]
paulmapp8306 Offline

Loc: Please select region, state or...
Wait until Roland release their new workstation this summer.

#2979658 - 03/11/19 05:48 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Moonglow]
paulmapp8306 Offline

Loc: Please select region, state or...
Not that Im suggesting it - but I pair my RD2000 with an FA07, a Novation Peak AND a Viscount Legend Expander module - all for the same price as the Kronos 61.....

Edited by paulmapp8306 (03/11/19 05:49 AM)

#2980100 - 03/14/19 10:08 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: paulmapp8306]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Texas
Just as a point of reference. I used my MODX7 last night as a single board setup and the organ really didn't work in a band setting. (Variety 70s-80s-90s) Every thing else worked well in the mix. So used to the SK1/Vent combination that the MODX was a huge disappointment in the organ department.

#2980108 - 03/14/19 11:25 AM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: The_Star_Guy]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Originally Posted By: The_Star_Guy
Originally Posted By: allan_evett

Interesting choice! The original Kross was a non-starter for me, but the newer Korg Kross 2 has a very interesting form factor and is also on my short list for evaluation as well. I have always respected your opinion since your "spot-on" VR730 evaluation. Can you please expound on your evaluation of it's sounds and features? And just why do you think that it would make a viable 'classic Motif' replacement for a stage rig?

I'm just getting to know the Kross 2; gigged it for the first time this past weekend. Will plan to post a more detailed analysis, likely in the Kross 2 thread, but for now I definitely find the instrument comparable to a classic Motif, sound-wise. Two things that caught my eyes and ears right away were the Daniel Fisher soundset, plus the comprehensive free editor/librarian from Korg. While the factory sounds are gig-capable - and many even stellar, the results from using the DF sounds and Korg editor are starting to up the game a bit. With only edits of factory Programs I dialed in octave brass and distorted lead patches that got several compliments. Meanwhile, a couple of edits of DF sounds yielded a very usable and dynamic 'clear' piano (scooped at 400 Hz, and boosted at 6KHZ), plus a surprisingly good amped Mark I. While I do use a weighted-action stage piano, these tones could actually get me though a gig in a pinch, and still sound professional. The factory organs will definitely not replace a clone, but neither could the Motif. Meanwhile, the Daniel Fisher B3 Combis are better - using Programs to cover the organ footages, and the modwheel to adjust levels. Still not quite a clone replacer, but certainly blurring the difference. I could cover a very basic gig with these.

#2980114 - 03/14/19 12:21 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: allan_evett]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Hey Jimmy, greetings from a fellow (now) RDU citizen!

Iím kind of in a similar place but with my XS-8 that I have been on since 2008.

Actually, thatís not quite true, it hardly leaves home now, and my daughter is very attached to it....portability not itís strong suit, but man I miss itís patches on stage. For live Iíve been using a combination of of my aging NE3 73 and PX5S. So Iím really looking at doing something with those two.

Been a NS3 Compact lean, but I went to guitar center and played the Montage, and man, it feels so nice and familiar. So Iíd highly recommend spending time on each, though it can be tough to find all the contenders.

Mostly wanted to say hello, Iíll be following this thread!

Edited by Fusker (03/14/19 12:25 PM)
Edit Reason: English

#2980130 - 03/14/19 02:02 PM Re: What options to replace my Yamaha Motif [Re: Fusker]
Marillo Offline

Loc: UK
I use a Juno DS loaded in its expansion slot with the Orchestral Strings card. They're really very good and give more choices than the factory set.

It also now includes multisampling which is really easy to use. I recently ripped the backing vocals for Queen's 'Show Must Go On' from YouTube and had them set up in a Performance with a string patch. Sounded huge.

It also has a phrase pad which allows you to trigger little sequences - I use this currently for the synth figure in Dancing on the Ceiling (which isn't quite an arpeggio, but a played sequence).

It's a really versatile little synth. Having owned a VR-09 I can say the organs aren't upto that standard, nor the VA synth. But i recently added a Roland SE-02 boutique module for that, at a cost of under 300 pounds.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner