Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

Pretty sure Scott's comment was dry humor as in the Eb EP doesn't sound like what it's supposed to?

Right, I didn't recognize it as an FM piano, or any other particular recognizable piano sound.

Ok, which digital piano does have USB Audio

The Numa Compact series does as well as Dexibells pianos.

Also some Yamahas including MX88 and the new CP73/CP88; some Rolands including DS88, RD-2000 and FA-08.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Having to hold down a button and then touch one of the lowest octave keys to pick a sound seems like a very unapppealing result of the user interface choices. Id much rather have a screen and use a push-button dial to scroll, sort of like on the Numa Compact 2 and 2X, or have up and down buttons.
That's because the PX-S1000 is the less expensive model. The PX-S3000 has a screen and dedicated buttons, etc.

This interface method (Function button and keyboard key) has been used by Casio for years on models such as the CDP-1xx series and the PX-1xx series.

However, both new models can be configured with the Chordana Play for Piano app. This is new for the four newly announced Casios (CDP-S and PX-S series).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The PX-S1000 has AUDIO IN : Yes (Stereo mini)

My new iPad Pro has no headphone out, unless I use a dongle adapter. One USB cable between an iPad or phone and the keyboard would be so nice and clean...

Exactly why Casio should be doing what other keyboard companies are doing.

If its true that I cannot play my iPad and iPhone sound engines using USB into the sound system of the PX-S3000, then its a deal breaker.

Why not audio out of the i-device into audio-in of the PX? Yes, one more cable to run, but dealbreaker? (Yes, better if you have an earlier i-device with a headphone out, or an interface that has an audio out.)

As noted above Apple is making it more cluttered to use headphone outputs on their iPads. Also, I might want to use the audio in on the PX-S3000 for something else. Progress should be simplifying things not making them more complicated. Other companies can do it. So can Casio. Maybe at NAMM 2020 theyll catch up.

What is the Canadian pricing for these? Casio Canada just redirects to Casio USA, so I figure that Rich or Mike would know.

Just poking around online some Canada Casio retailers I am seeing the PX-5S going for $1299, and the PX-560 going for $1499.

Compared to some USA retailer the PX-5S is $999, and the PX-560 is $1199.

The few Canadian retailers I checked do not have the new PXS1000 or 3000 listed yet.

A major USA retailer has the S1000 at $599 and the S3000 at $799

Extrapolate as you will :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I just pre-ordered a S3000 from Adam at Kraft, free shipping.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I will after I do a careful side by side of the PX-S3000 with my current Casio Privia PX-360. I will be mostly considering the action, the Grand Piano, the clean tone Rhodes, the Vibes, and the performance ability of the speakers. Those are the main factors I care about.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Clean tone "Electric Piano" (Fender Rhodes) "blowing" at 14:15. I guess there are multiple EP Fender Rhodes in the S3000 and one Dyno-Rhodes with Chorus built in in the S1000.

[video:youtube]

What is the name of the Tone he's playing at 14:15? It's a clean tone Rhodes sound and the sole reason I pre-ordered a S3000 instead of a S1000.

Rhodes at the beginning

I think they are still working on finalizing the Tones and manuals. Im praying for a fantastic clean tone Fender Rhodes Suitcase in the S3000 that is expressive and realistic.

I heard shipping is in April.

NEW VIDEO OUT TODAY 2/7/2019. This is what I have been waiting to hear.

1. JAZZ SOLOING at 0:44 (single note blowing with Steve Weingart Duo)

2. Clean tone "Fender Rhodes Suitcase" at 3:22 (single note blowing with Larry Dunn of EWF)

So... I play a PX5s and am actually a Casio endorser down here in Mexico. I really want to fall in love with the 3000. I played it at NAMM and it sounded and felt excellent but about the same to me, given the environment. I doubt Id be disappointed by the sound.

Am I really the only one who predicts the smooth and shiny black surface is going to look terrible after a few minutes of touching? And am I the only one to notice the increase in weight over the PX5s?

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I'll have a micro fiber cloth nearby, like guitar players do.

And am I the only one to notice the increase in weight over the PX5s?

Yes.

PX-5S - 24.47 lbs.

PX-S1000 - 24.7 lbs.

PX-S3000 - 25.1 lbs.

Am I really the only one who predicts the smooth and shiny black surface is going to look terrible after a few minutes of touching?

Did they look bad at NAMM? No. Hundreds of people were touching them all day.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

PX5S has no amp/speakers. I believe the new PX-S models are lighter than any previous Privia with speakers.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks, Mike. I just figured there were Casio elves with windex and paper towels lurking. :) The removal of the mod wheelhow does one apply tremelo to a wurly on the 3000? I need to spend time getting to know how to layer sounds and so on. When I read about it, I see so many features aimed at home users that I just dont need. I understand that they will be a big market for this one, but there are many things Ill never use. USB slot for my own performances? The capability to play along with chart topping rhythm tracks? The dual piano setting for teachers? But all of the above is true for the PX5s as well. Im just st a note, tone and feel music maker.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Thanks, Mike. I just figured there were Casio elves with windex and paper towels lurking. :) The removal of the mod wheelhow does one apply tremelo to a wurly on the 3000? I need to spend time getting to know how to layer sounds and so on. When I read about it, I see so many features aimed at home users that I just dont need. I understand that they will be a big market for this one, but there are many things Ill never use. USB slot for my own performances? The capability to play along with chart topping rhythm tracks? The dual piano setting for teachers? But all of the above is true for the PX5s as well. Im just st a note, tone and feel music maker.

You can add tremolo with a knob. How to layer? Press the layer button then select the tone you want. It is pretty quick.

Yes it has rhythms and other features that you may not use.

But all of the above is true for the PX5s as well.

No the PX-5S doesn't have rhythms and layering sounds requires you to turn on another zone - it is a different process all together. The PX-5S also doesn't have "duet mode" although you could configure a Stage Setting that way in just a few steps.

Maybe the PX-S3000 isn't for you. Different products for different customers.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Yes.

PX-5S - 24.47 lbs.

PX-S1000 - 24.7 lbs.

PX-S3000 - 25.1 lbs.

Mike, that 10 oz difference of the S3000 over the 5S is unacceptable [/sarcasm]

Quick q: does the S3000 accept ProgramChange over midi?

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Add a very small lightweight mono floor amp and you can be as loud as a grand piano. It really enhances the piano's bass notes. I've been going to solo piano gigs for years like that. So the on-board speakers handle the highs and the little amp handles the bass reinforcement.