Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

Based on the NC2, I'd say the speakers are pretty poor. It's nice to have them, you can certainly hear what you're doing if you're working something out or whatever, but I'd say there not suitable for any public performance. Classroom? If everyone is quiet, sure, they'll hear it, but it's not exactly a "full" sound, there's not much bottom.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How would you happy new owners characterize the built-in speaker output? Could you put it up on your desk (or on your lap) in a classroom and be heard, for instance?

Absolutely. It has on-board 2 band EQ and the "mastering" control appears to level the sound & frequency response depending on the volume that you are playing at. The physics of the speaker design does not support true "low end", but as long as you were the only instrument playing, the sound output level is decent. It is not 'poor'. Also, IOS and Macbook sounds also simultaneously play out thru the onboard Numa Compact 2x speaker system as well, so it is very convenient for song arrangement and demonstration purposes. You would still need external amplification for a performance with a band or vocalist. For comparison, I have both a Yamaha P-95 and a P-255 with on-board sound systems and the Numa Compact 2x beats my P-95, but is not quite up to the output level of the P-255.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I guess it's all relative. Allowing for weaker bass, it's probably in the range of the lower end slabs from Yamaha, Casio, Kawai. But if you wanted to do a little piano duo with someone in the room playing acoustic guitar and singing (no microphone), I don't think it could really keep up, but it may also depend somewhat on the sound you choose, and your willingness to bang the keys. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't think the campfire would work - it doesn't have battery capability. The sound from the speakers is fairly anemic, but then again we shouldn't expect too much from speakers this size.

Agree about the campfire scenario...no on-board battery capability. The NC2x can alternatively be powered directly via USB, like by using one of these cool new portable auto jump starter portable power supplies that can also supply extended USB power, but the on-board amplification system automatically shuts off when powered by USB so you would still need to use external amplification in that particular scenario also.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if the organ/Leslie sim is the same as in the Numa Organ 2?

It is not. Numa says it has a "a tone wheel organ model derived from Numa Organ" but it's not the same sound you'd get from a Numa Organ or NO2. The rotary speed transitions and overdrive are areas where I've been able to tell the difference just from online demos (I've played the Organs IRL, but not the NC2X). And it really makes sense, I wouldn't expect the sound of their $1100 clonewheel in their otherwise more capable $700 multi-purpose board. But you can hear demos at https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numa_compact2x/ and if you've ever heard the rotary of the NO2, you'll know, this ain't it.

Comments from owners of the Compact 2x on how it functions as a controller for MainStage? Enough buttons, knobs, sliders that send MIDI for MIDI-Learn? The organ controls work with software organ emulations, etc?

I'm not a Mainstage user, but I was able to map the drawbar controllers to VB3 using Cantabile. Unfortunately not all of the controls are able to be mapped. The only ones I've been able to do are the sticks and the drawbars.

Does anyone who has a C2x also own a Spacestation? Im wondering how the piano sounds through it.

*bump*

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I was able to map the drawbar controllers to VB3 using Cantabile. Unfortunately not all of the controls are able to be mapped. The only ones I've been able to do are the sticks and the drawbars.

A controller like a Korg NanoKontrol can fit on the free panel space for more controls if you need them.

Hi everyone, I have a NumaCompact 2 (not 2X). The form factor is very similar to the old first NumaCompact but the orange side bars (with the logo).

I'd need to remove those bars (without breaking them).

Is it safely possible?

Or is there a specific way to do it?

Thanks

Does anyone who has a C2x also own a Spacestation? Im wondering how the piano sounds through it.

*bump*

I have and love both. Give me a few days when I have time to connect my c2x to the Spacestation.
Did a quick test. I went back and forth between the SS and a single K 8.2. I am not good at this. So take with a grain of salt what I share. I was using the default setting on the K 8.2, but tweaked the EQs both on the NC2x and the SS. Right off the bet, I thought the K 8.2 was cleaner in the lower register, but when I began to work with the EQs on the SS, I was able to take out the muddiness for the lower register on the SS. In the end, I came to the conclusion that the SS sounded just as good as the K 8.2 Also, the SS reminded me that it does have plenty of bass for DP. BTW, I had positioned the SS on its side and placed a wedge beneath it. I used only Concert Piano on the NC2x.

Hi everyone, I have a NumaCompact 2 (not 2X). The form factor is very similar to the old first NumaCompact but the orange side bars (with the logo).

I'd need to remove those bars (without breaking them).

Is it safely possible?

Or is there a specific way to do it?

Thanks

Why do you need to remove them?

I was able to map the drawbar controllers to VB3 using Cantabile. Unfortunately not all of the controls are able to be mapped. The only ones I've been able to do are the sticks and the drawbars.

A controller like a Korg NanoKontrol can fit on the free panel space for more controls if you need them.

What about the new Studiologic Mixface?

Here for the gear.

What about the new Studiologic Mixface?

The NanoK is smaller and is about 1/4 the cost. Each channel has a fader, knob and three buttons  the Studiologic's channels have a fader, knob and one button.

That's not to say the SL might not be better for someome. It's bigger, maybe sturdier, faders have a longer throw, and it might have some specialized programming features. It seems to be marketed chiefly as a DAW controller not necessarily what someone with a keyboard looking to add additional controllers would need. I have the NanoK1 (with nine faders, as opposed to the NK2's eight). It's tiny and a little hard to set precise values with the very-short-throw faders; but all in all, I'm OK with it. Super light & small, it fits in my backpack. I use it for emergencies or when I have a rental keyboard a few dots of artist's putty to attach it and I'm good to go.

I would also like to see a depth control for the chorus vibrato in an update. I'll post my impressions once I've had it for a few weeks.

Yes, the overblown ch/vb is my main complaint with this keyboard. Even C2 sounds beyond C3 in most clones. Overall though it's a good little board. I have yet to delve into it deeply.

Did a quick test. I went back and forth between the SS and a single K 8.2. I am not good at this. So take with a grain of salt what I share. I was using the default setting on the K 8.2, but tweaked the EQs both on the NC2x and the SS. Right off the bet, I thought the K 8.2 was cleaner in the lower register, but when I began to work with the EQs on the SS, I was able to take out the muddiness for the lower register on the SS. In the end, I came to the conclusion that the SS sounded just as good as the K 8.2 Also, the SS reminded me that it does have plenty of bass for DP. BTW, I had positioned the SS on its side and placed a wedge beneath it. I used only Concert Piano on the NC2x.

Thank you! Im getting close to ordering the C2x. I just wish I could test the keybed first.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin