Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2974270 - 02/07/19 10:10 AM Re: Short clip of David Foster overdubbing Moog bass [Re: Toano88]
gg22 Offline

Originally Posted By: Toano88
But he is 69 and engaged to Katherine McPhee, so what do I know?

Enough said. Thread closed.

KC Island
#2974442 - 02/07/19 11:02 PM Re: Short clip of David Foster overdubbing Moog bass [Re: gg22]
Bucktunes Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Quincy, Illinois,UNITED STATES
Donít hate the man for being so good at ballads. Thereís a reason he was so in demand for that sound back in the day. Nobody did it better. cool I studied his arrangements quite a bit for a while when I was learning to write and arrange pop ballads.

Although he obviously has the golden touch for that stye, thereís a lot more to his musicianship, as mentioned earlier. A few of my personal faves of his include Winter Games, Carol Of The Bells (I play his version of that every Christmas Midnight Mass at my church), Flight of the Snowbirds, Morning To Morning from his Symphony Sessions album. Not to mention the songs he co-wrote and produced for Earth, Wind & Fire, Al Jarreau, The Tubes, John Parr...

I guess you could say heís like the DX7 of keyboardist/producers - Heís capable of a wide variety, but heís known mostly for that one sound... laugh

#2974447 - 02/08/19 12:20 AM Re: Short clip of David Foster overdubbing Moog bass [Re: Bucktunes]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Originally Posted By: Bucktunes
I guess you could say heís like the DX7 of keyboardist/producers - Heís capable of a wide variety, but heís known mostly for that one sound... laugh

Now THAT is an apt comparison! laugh cheers

#2974456 - 02/08/19 05:11 AM Re: Short clip of David Foster overdubbing Moog bass [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

If you live on the presumption that the highest grade (usually very well known in the day) musicians prepared their tracks and mixes for later processing, the whole idea drastically changes. For instance, those Chicago tracks clearly contain let's call it musical DNA that could be brought out digitally, but seldom is.

T

#2974463 - 02/08/19 05:49 AM Re: Short clip of David Foster overdubbing Moog bass [Re: Theo Verelst]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY

Check this out about a minute into it he is coaching Elliot Yammin (arguably one of the singers that should have won American Idol this season) Elliot has a wicked voice. You can see David's process.

noblevibes.com

#2974554 - 02/08/19 11:44 AM Re: Short clip of David Foster overdubbing Moog bass [Re: Theo Verelst]
area51recording Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: Theo Verelst
If you live on the presumption that the highest grade (usually very well known in the day) musicians prepared their tracks and mixes for later processing, the whole idea drastically changes. For instance, those Chicago tracks clearly contain let's call it musical DNA that could be brought out digitally, but seldom is.

T

.....So this presumes that musicians, engineers, and producers back in the day recorded their tracks and mixes in the hope that some future generation may be able to "digitally correct" their efforts?

#2975027 - 02/10/19 10:48 PM Re: Short clip of David Foster overdubbing Moog bass [Re: Bucktunes]
elsongs Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bucktunes
Donít hate the man for being so good at ballads. Thereís a reason he was so in demand for that sound back in the day. Nobody did it better. cool I studied his arrangements quite a bit for a while when I was learning to write and arrange pop ballads.

Although he obviously has the golden touch for that stye, thereís a lot more to his musicianship, as mentioned earlier. A few of my personal faves of his include Winter Games, Carol Of The Bells (I play his version of that every Christmas Midnight Mass at my church), Flight of the Snowbirds, Morning To Morning from his Symphony Sessions album. Not to mention the songs he co-wrote and produced for Earth, Wind & Fire, Al Jarreau, The Tubes, John Parr...

I agree - I once sat down and tried to learn "You're The Inspiration" chord by chord and it's no 4-chord wonder by any means.

But wasn't his "one sound" actually the DX7 Rhodes layered with acoustic piano?

#2975032 - 02/11/19 12:45 AM Re: Short clip of David Foster overdubbing Moog bass [Re: elsongs]
BRW Offline

Originally Posted By: elsongs

But wasn't his "one sound" actually the DX7 Rhodes layered with acoustic piano?

This is what I was talking about by mentioning the "FosterPno" preset earlier... I think during the early 80's it was more accurately an acoustic piano layered with a chorus-effected Rhodes. Later on it was a DX7 - or more accurately probably a TX816, also by itself (and layered with a Roland MKS-20).

You could also say that "his sound" was his compositions - he certainly has a recognisable style and you can often recognise a tune as a Foster tune quite easily, at least during his heyday.

#2975047 - 02/11/19 04:55 AM Re: Short clip of David Foster overdubbing Moog bass [Re: BRW]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I think he did that John Parr song from the soundtrack of Saint Elmos Fire also?

noblevibes.com

#2975083 - 02/11/19 09:55 AM Re: Short clip of David Foster overdubbing Moog bass [Re: Outkaster]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Outkaster
I think he did that John Parr song from the soundtrack of Saint Elmos Fire also?

That is correct. Even though it's a tiny bit cheesy, I love that song and the whole movie soundtrack as well. Great '80s vibe to it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner