Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Interesting... #2973833 02/05/19 09:19 AM
picker Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

GP Island
Re: Interesting... [Re: picker] #2973849 02/05/19 12:05 PM
Caevan O'Shite Online Content
20k Club
Online Content
20k Club
Originally Posted By: picker

Interesting, but I must say, that Pau Ferro is a better fretboard wood than the usual rosewood, anyway. If you've played one of those Fender SRV signature guitars, you've played a Pau Ferro fretboard. It's good stuff!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
Re: Interesting... [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #2973881 02/05/19 01:51 PM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Rosewood has always been a good fretboard material as well as maple and ebony. I like ebony the best but I like the others too. I've never tried the Pau Ferro, but would love to give it a try some day. I'm also seeing walnut make the scene and I want to try it too if I see one on the rack one of these days... cool

Take care, Larryz
Re: Interesting... [Re: Larryz] #2973903 02/05/19 02:40 PM
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yep I was always a big ebony fingerboard fan as well Larryz. I also prefer maple as well. I do have one rosewood fingerboard in the house on my Ibanez RG321 they filled and finished it somehow, and it is not as grainy as my older (now long gone) rosewood fingerboard guitars were. My faves are still ebony and maple.

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: Interesting... [Re: desertbluesman] #2973973 02/05/19 08:43 PM
picker Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
I love ebony fretboards, but mainly because of how they feel to me, which is to say slick but not greasy, and they are tougher than rosewood. Maple is fine too.

It's probably gonna sound heretical, but I don't hear a lot of difference in tone between them on electric guitars. I hear a lot of difference between rosewood and ebony on acoustics. I don't recall hearing an acoustic with a maple fretboard, but I'm sure it would add it's own color.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Re: Interesting... [Re: picker] #2974045 02/06/19 09:03 AM
whitefang Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Eye of the beholder maybe?

Most people probably can't (unless prompted by the power of suggestion) hear the difference in the sound of rosewood being used for fretboards regardless of acoustic or not. Just a guess.

But rosewood LOOKS nice, especially when used for SOUND REPRODUCTION COMPONENT cabinets. ------- (BTW; I once had this receiver. BEST sound w/ matching speakers, also in rosewood cabinets!) wink

Whitefang

Last edited by whitefang; 02/06/19 09:04 AM.
Re: Interesting... [Re: whitefang] #2974212 02/07/19 11:17 AM
W
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
Anything to drive those damned Richlite fretboards out of existence. I'm seeing it listed on far too many new, high $$$ Guitars. If you're paying top dollar for a pro, or near-pro quality Guitar, why would you want a compressed, recycled fiber (read; paper & cardboard) fretboard?

Last edited by Winston Psmith; 02/07/19 11:19 AM.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
Re: Interesting... [Re: Winston Psmith] #2974298 02/07/19 05:02 PM
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
My old guitar tech Philip Petillo invented an artificial ebony like fret-board material he called Ebinol, and he created it for some Kramer Guitars (I think Kramer), probably mid seventies or so. That neck also used a metal and wood neck with the Ebonol glued to that neck. It was pretty slick but never made it to widespread popularity. I never wanted one as metal is more apt to be cold feeling vs wood which is a warmer material. I was at his shop when he had the very first one done, and he let me mess with it a bit.

From Wikipedia Below;

In 1970, Dennis Berardi and Gary Kramer asked Phil Petillo Master Luthier-Engineer to design and build 4 prototypes of a new neck made out of aluminum and wood. When Berardi and Kramer first came to the Petillo Home Workshop, they offered the guitar to be called PETILLO and Phil refused for he knew from past experiences in the Music Industry that often one loses one's good name with such offers that are appealing when the need demands it. Petillo designed the guitar with a forked headstock. When La Placa and investor Henry Vaccaro joined forces to open a plant in Neptune, New Jersey, they needed Petillo. The first four prototypes of Kramer Guitars were hand made in 1976 at the 1206 Herbert Ave. Ocean, NJ Studio Workshop by Phil Petillo. These unique guitars were photographed for the first Kramer Brochure that was introduced at the 1977 NAMM show in Chicago, Illinois in 1976. At that show, the fledgling guitar company sold $250,000 based on the interest generated from the 4 prototype guitars. Ironically, they had no guitars since the factory had yet to be set up. Petillo helped design and set up the factory located in Neptune and proceeded to build the First Fingerboard Machine that cut the slots in all fingerboards to Petillo's Trade Secret Scales with Perfect Intonation. These designs and prototypes were kept in a guarded Safe in Dennis Berardi's office at the Neptune Factory.

By the time the next NAMM show, one year later in Atlanta, GA 1977, after Petillo organized the factory, set up, scaled fingerboards, then he was pushed out. Petillo saw things in the factory that were compromised for profit that he could not tolerate as a Luthier of the highest ethical standards. Due to extreme differences regarding payment and quality control, La Placa, Berrardi et all forced Petillo out after he had given the supreme sacrifice of his own business with Total Responsibility for completing this intense project of design, building from scratch these four guitars that were used to get endorsements from Stanley Clark and others in his home workshop, witnessed by his wife business partner, Lucille Petillo that propelled the Kramer Company under BKL to early success. Later they also eliminated Gary Kramer. Petillo did not receive compensation but instead was methodically forced out after all of his contributions that started the company. Their unethical behavior after Petillo organized the production of the first Kramers keeping quality control as a priority was unethical. Factory quality violations in Neptune, New Jersey plus lack of payment for his contributions of designing, building, and quality control along with disagreements with Peter LaPlaca and Lucille Petillo, Phil was forced out of the company. An article was written by Phillip and Lucille Petillo that appeared in the NAMM issue of Musical Merchandise Review describing in detail how these unique guitars were made featuring the construction of the Kramer Neck. (MMR Issue,October 1, 1976)

The Kramer factory was originally located at 1111 Green Grove Road, Neptune, NJ 07753 before moving to a larger facility at 685 Neptune Boulevard, Neptune NJ 07753.

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: Interesting... [Re: desertbluesman] #2974718 02/09/19 09:01 AM
whitefang Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Well at least Kramer didn't move OUT OF STATE like GIBSON did! mad
Whitefang

Moderated by  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose