Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

Thanx Dave! Looks like a nice bag, and based on dimensions, I can see why it might be a little snug, but still I imagine it fits. Good feedback from the other person that you heard from. I have always liked products from Gator, well-made and offer good protection.

if you do get it, post back - im this close to pulling the trigger - really tempted by lack complete motivation. I read a review on i think amazon that said throw away the backpack straps when you get it - they suck but the bag is great even with handle.

And i thought - ... but .. but i want it as a backpack, damnit! If i have to carry it in my hand, might as well just roll my molded SKB hard case.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I talked online to a guy who published a review regarding the MODX8 build quality and his conclusion was that the MODX8 was build like a cheap bedroom controller and would not stand up to the rigors of gigging.

His observations made perfect sense to me and was consistent with what Yamaha felt they had to do to bring the MODX feature set in at the price point they did.

It might be fine to sit in a bedroom studio, but if its gonna break if you look at it wrong then Im out.

Again, for me, it comes down to my being able to use a keyboard for at least 5-8 years before I have to think about replacing it.....

I dont want to have is this gonna break on me if it slips outof my grip and drops from 5 feet?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I talked online to a guy who published a review regarding the MODX8 build quality and his conclusion was that the MODX8 was build like a cheap bedroom controller and would not stand up to the rigors of gigging.

This IMO is a complete nonsense. I'm asking myself, are you guys actually playing keyboards on stage or beating them and forcing them to fall off from their stands? I'm gigging for 25 years and for Christ sake I can't imagine a situation where I could find any reason why a Montage (which I own) would be more durable as a gigging keyboard compared to a Modx.

I dont want to have is this gonna break on me if it slips outof my grip and drops from 5 feet?

Just curious, are you serious with that argument? Do you really think you can use a Montage or Kronos after it felt from 5 feet height?

I've seen no indication that its overall build quality is any lesser than the plastic chassis models that preceded it, i.e. MOX8/MOXF8 which go back 8 years now, and afaik, are not dropping like flies. But also, you might select a different kind of build if you were in the business of supplying backline to road crews than if you were buying something you were personally going to move in your own car. Or at least you'd buy different cases. ;-)

Do you really think you can use a Montage or Kronos after it felt from 5 feet height?

Interesting question. Depends how they land, for one thing. But I would expect a plastic chassis MODX could easily crack where a metal chassis board would not. As for what happens to the rest of it, I don't know. Lighter could conceivably fare better than heavier in many cases, like in the likelihood that the touchscreen would crack.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've seen no indication that its overall build quality is any lesser than the plastic chassis models that preceded it, i.e. MOX8/MOXF8 which go back 8 years now, and afaik, are not dropping like flies. But also, you might select a different kind of build if you were in the business of supplying backline to road crews than if you were buying something you were personally going to move in your own car. Or at least you'd buy different cases. ;-)

Do you really think you can use a Montage or Kronos after it felt from 5 feet height?

Interesting question. Depends how they land, for one thing. But I would expect a plastic chassis MODX could easily crack where a metal chassis board would not. As for what happens to the rest of it, I don't know. Lighter could conceivably fare better than heavier in many cases, like in the likelihood that the touchscreen would crack.

I dropped a Motif XF7 ~3ft when an old pedestal stand shelf collapsed, I semi-slowed its descent to the floor by grabbing in shock and it followed the pedestal column down - it was far milder than a true 3 foot dead drop in space. It suffered a dent in the bottom of chassis and E note below middle C chipped on the front under-edge. It survived - Yamaha tough. No other damage or impact.

premature wearout as onlinereviewguy reportedly predicts isnt the same as impact toughness / resistance. Do we have a link to onlinereviewguy? Im curious what he said ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

This IMO is a complete nonsense. I'm asking myself, are you guys actually playing keyboards on stage or beating them and forcing them to fall off from their stands? I'm gigging for 25 years and for Christ sake I can't imagine a situation where I could find any reason why a Montage (which I own) would be more durable as a gigging keyboard compared to a Modx.

Just curious, are you serious with that argument? Do you really think you can use a Montage or Kronos after it felt from 5 feet height?

Have you played at festivals where the overworked in house crew makes an all to human mistake?

Or had an airline frieght crew mishandle a piece of gear?

I had a colleague who had a Kurzweil damaged this way.

TSA didnt relock the ATA case correctly and the Kurz fell out face down when leaving the cargo bay and the crew just watched it happen,

Granted this is an extreme situation, but you have to be prepared for catastrophic events.

Ive done this enough years to be prepared for the worst.

So, if youre gonna come at me, come correct.

All due respect

I have used most of SIR Chelseas backline from the 90s thru 2005 and know the techs that worked there pretty well.. As well as other rehearsal studios in LA, Miami and other major US cities. Not to mention tours stopping in Paris, London and Prague.

I hate to toot my own horn, but I do have a bit of real world experience.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Exactly my point, Scott.

A friend plays at a club where they replaced an S80 with an MOFX and we will see how long it lasts.

Robert Bosch, 1919

I dropped a Motif XF7 ~3ft when an old pedestal stand shelf collapsed, I semi-slowed its descent to the floor by grabbing in shock and it followed the pedestal column down - it was far milder than a true 3 foot dead drop in space. It suffered a dent in the bottom of chassis and E note below middle C chipped on the front under-edge. It survived - Yamaha tough. No other damage or impact.

premature wearout as onlinereviewguy reportedly predicts isnt the same as impact toughness / resistance. Do we have a link to onlinereviewguy? Im curious what he said ...

Its on the Sweetwater site.

Look, my point is this:

If I spend in the ball park of 2K or more on a keyboard that Im gonna use out of the house, I want it to hold up to what the city or clubs dish out. These things devalue quicker than cars.

Robert Bosch, 1919

But I would expect a plastic chassis MODX could easily crack where a metal chassis board would not. As for what happens to the rest of it, I don't know. Lighter could conceivably fare better than heavier in many cases, like in the likelihood that the touchscreen would crack.

People underestimate the strength of todays high quallity plastics..

I had a drunk storming on stage crashing my keyboard rig..my Genos dropped 4 foot dow on a corner, one would expect a killer drop.. but there was no crack, just a scratch.. and the keyboard was still as straight as ever..

The big advantage of todays plasticks are its incredible flexibillity combined with metal like strength..

When a metal keyboard drops, chances are huge that it will be bent amd not straight anymore..

Now there definately is a huge amount of different plastics, but todays high end plastics are stronger then metal cases... and lighter..when metal bends, its not as flexible as these plastics..

And it depends on how well designed the plastic casing of a keyboard is designed. I had two pieces of casing break on a Casio MZ-X500, and it's primarily cause the design is less than road worthy, the plastic is somewhat thin and unprotected in many places.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

And it depends on how well designed the plastic casing of a keyboard is designed. I had two pieces of casing break on a Casio MZ-X500, and it's primarily cause the design is less than road worthy, the plastic is somewhat thin and unprotected in many places.

Just looking under the MODX7, you can see the bottom chassis has significant ribbing and reinforcement designed into the molded base to provide torsional rigidity and stiffness. Anyone whos worked in product development (I was a Reliabiity and Quality Engr for 15 yrs, now I manage these teams) can see they thought about this concern and designed mitigations to reduce risk. Yamaha is known for durable equipment, i dont yet have any info that this is a legitimate worry. Any board can be broken if one tries.

My MODX7 has flown twice so far in SKBs ATA case SKB-5014W - I think they discontinued it, its not on their website anymore. i found one still available online. I tried the Gator one first, it was much bigger and less well built, didnt like it. SKB also designed extensive ribbing into the shell halves for rigidity and strength. One drawback is 4 movable plastic corners hold the keyboard held down by velcro. I found the Velcro isnt strong enough and they can move on the 61, i would expect the same here. I went to an upholstery store and ordered a large single piece of 2 med-density foam which they custom cut. now its rock solid secure and well padded inside, and case is more than stiff enough to prevent any torsional stress on the kbd, and its easy to travel with. With the kbd inside, its only about 38 lbs, under the max weight and max length rules for special charge.

the local gig bag - i find the Yamaha bag inadequate. Im looking at the gator one mentioned above. Hope someone else here goes first and reports back :). If i dont trust Ill have complete control of my board at all times, ill use the SKB case. Yamaha bag is not very protective at all, i only take it to local bar gigs where im Loading in, setting up, striking etc. I still look very carefully for where I set it while its not on stage. There are animals everywhere!

All that said - if you drop a plastic keyboard from 5, probably expect something to crack. Maybe youll get lucky but just in general ... you now ... its a bad idea. Apply this maxim to every board ever made by every manufacturer ever.

Over on the FB MODX group, a MODX8 owner posted a pic of several keys broken in the top octave. Some sort of monkey hammer damage. So yes, it can be broken if one tries.

But I find one random Sweetwater customers personal opinion to be less than dispositive. Not that he actually had any problem, just that he thinks (guesses) the plastic wont hold up. Ok, thanks but Ill need more data than that.

On the ribbing / structure of the underside, I agree that's where the strength is. I do totally the wrong thing with my MODX7 at times, picking it up by gripping it one handed, my fingers underneath the chassis where the large indentations are, and it's as solid as a rock.

I'm using the Yamaha soft case and it works for me but it's definitely not sturdy enough for flying or being handled roughly by someone else.

Welp...I need a second keyboard, gigs are picking up and my kurz pc3 has had a few issues...don't want to rely on it even though it can do our gigs. I prefer two in any case.

What a saga--after pining for a Nord electro and then switching through almost every board out there--including stops in "analog-ish-ville" to consider the kingkorg, blofeld and even the Prophet rev2--this Modx seems like it would be quite the gig monster. I think seeing the organimation vids and hearing recommendations from some of you might be tipping me over...I play rock but do use quite a bit of organ, which up til now the pc3 has been covering. I've been in a synth mode lately and want to maybe explore that for our tunes. We have been adding more synth-heavy tunes lately also.

All that blather aside, I truly do wish this didn't have a wall wart. I hate those things.

My main concern though that some of you can address: how is this thing in mono? I didn't read every page but I saw some people stating the sound was quite a bit worse. That isn't a surprise, this happens with most of them (due to fx, and of course widening can sound great)...but my old Motif was by far the worst offender of any board I"ve owned. I had to edit almost every patch on there.

Secondarily, did I read that people are easily able to use an ipad with this, with no extra interface?

Lastly, does it allow vocoding? I've been itching to try this live, and surely overuse it on many songs! :D

Welp...I need a second keyboard

What sounds do you most need out of it? If primary need is organ and VA synth (which are not Yamaha's strongest points), I'd be more inclined to look at the Roland FA-07 (assuming you're not looking at a Nord Stage 3 budget). Maybe even VR-730, though it still has too many gotcha's for me.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

All that said - if you drop a plastic keyboard from 5, probably expect something to crack. Maybe youll get lucky but just in general ... you now ... its a bad idea. Apply this maxim to every board ever made by every manufacturer ever.

Over on the FB MODX group, a MODX8 owner posted a pic of several keys broken in the top octave. Some sort of monkey hammer damage. So yes, it can be broken if one tries.

But I find one random Sweetwater customers personal opinion to be less than dispositive. Not that he actually had any problem, just that he thinks (guesses) the plastic wont hold up. Ok, thanks but Ill need more data than that.

If YOU need more data, thats cool. But when a rando makes some solid logical points, I take notice. And Im saying plastic chassis plus wall wart means it wont last as long as a stronger build or stand up 4-5 nights a week under road warrior conditions. Thats why Motifs and Nords (and Kurzes) show up in backlines. I dont expect to see MODXs at rental or backline houses. If it works for casual guys or for you, more power to ya.

Robert Bosch, 1919

Welp...I need a second keyboard

What sounds do you most need out of it? If primary need is organ and VA synth (which are not Yamaha's strongest points), I'd be more inclined to look at the Roland FA-07 (assuming you're not looking at a Nord Stage 3 budget). Maybe even VR-730, though it still has too many gotcha's for me.

An excellent question :) My original goal was to improve organ with either an electro or a mojo 61. Then I started veering into VA and even analog territory, thinking I'd make something of a sea change...I used to gig these same songs with an older Virus and made great use of it, had to sell to get a VR-700, which I sold in turn. The VR730 would be a little too samey, feel like I'd like to try something different. As long as the pc3 is working, it can cover all bases so I can go any direction: another do-it-all, focus on organ, focus on synth.

Yeah, I can't justify a stage 3. If I used it at home that might be different, but I'm 100% software and have no wish to ever go back to hardware with wiring and patch saving etc. I have typically bought used or newer on sale and try to keep my cost between 700 and 1300 or so.

The modx synth sounds--even the fm--sounds good enough for my needs just based on the vids. This will only be for live use. That said, the fa is an option. My buddy has one, I'll go over there and try it out. If either can play an ipad with convenience that is a selling point, someone mentioned they use the Galileo organ with theirs...organimation as another option for organ.

I am concerned about mono though. If indeed it sounds wimpy, I might well just consider an mx61.

Speaking of drunks on stage...had that happen several times, even at very nice places. It's a big reason I don't want to bring a laptop out.

That said, the fa is an option. My buddy has one, I'll go over there and try it out. If either can play an ipad with convenience that is a selling point, someone mentioned they use the Galileo organ with theirs...organimation as another option for organ.

I am concerned about mono though. If indeed it sounds wimpy, I might well just consider an mx61.

FA and MODX are both good matches for an iPad. MX61 less so because user patches can't include MIDI program changes for external devices, though MX does let you use its 16 buttons to effectively select from among the 16 MIDI channels which gives you another way to switch among a bank of iPad sounds.

As for organ, the FA has the edge over the Yamahas, especially since it has the assignable sub out which lets you easily put a Vent or similar on your organ sound. Though the fact that you play mono anyway also gives you the option on the Yamahas to pan your organ sound to the opposite side from your other sounds so it effectively has its own output for doing the same. FA also has a true 9-drawbar organ engine, though. MODX does have some semblance of 9-drawbar control in some of its performances, but within the standard sample engine, which also means that a 9-drawbar sound uses 9 instances of polyphony per key.

That said, the fa is an option. My buddy has one, I'll go over there and try it out. If either can play an ipad with convenience that is a selling point, someone mentioned they use the Galileo organ with theirs...organimation as another option for organ.

FA and MODX are both good matches for an iPad. MX61 less so because user patches can' include MIDI program changes for external devices, though MX does let you use its 16 buttons to effectively select from among the 16 MIDI channels which gives you another way to switch among a bank of iPad sounds.

As for organ, the FA has the edge over the Yamahas, especially since it has the assignable sub out which lets you easily put a Vent or similar on your organ sound. Though the fact that you play mono anyway also gives you the option on the Yamahas to pan your organ sound to the opposite side from your other sounds so it effectively has its own output for doing the same. FA also has a true 9-drawbar organ engine, though. MODX does have some semblance of 9-drawbar control in some of its performances, but within the standard sample engine, which also means that a 9-drawbar sound uses 9 instances of polyphony per key.

Thanks, all good info. It turns out that the buddy with the fa06 wants to thin the herd...and unlike me, he cares about what the thing looks like :D...and he doesn't like the fa06. He'll give me a great deal on it so I'm probably going to go that way if I try it and like it. I like the option to add a pedal as you say, though the vr700 leslie was fine for rock mixes IMO. Paying less for something that wouldn't be a studio mainstay is probably the wise choice. Something I use at home needs to have aftertouch, though after seeing some Roli mpe vids I could see that being the future too!

Anyway, back to the modx, didn't mean to derail.

though the vr700 leslie was fine for rock mixes IMO

I'd say the VR700 leslie was better than the FA07 leslie.

FA and MODX are both good matches for an iPad. MX61 less so because user patches can' include MIDI program changes for external devices, though MX does let you use its 16 buttons to effectively select from among the 16 MIDI channels which gives you another way to switch among a bank of iPad sounds.

Thanks, all good info. It turns out that the buddy with the fa06 wants to thin the herd...and unlike me, he cares about what the thing looks like :D...and he doesn't like the fa06. He'll give me a great deal on it so I'm probably going to go that way if I try it and like it. I like the option to add a pedal as you say, though the vr700 leslie was fine for rock mixes IMO. Paying less for something that wouldn't be a studio mainstay is probably the wise choice. Something I use at home needs to have aftertouch, though after seeing some Roli mpe vids I could see that being the future too!

Anyway, back to the modx, didn't mean to derail.

if Hammond is high on the priority list, thats prob the right choice.

I ordered the Gator G-PG-76SLIM from Amazon, supposed to arrive tomorrow, I will post when I have time for info and maybe some pics.

Looking forward to your report ... and pics if possible

I ordered the Gator G-PG-76SLIM from Amazon, supposed to arrive tomorrow, I will post when I have time for info and maybe some pics.

Looking forward to your report ... and pics if possible

So the Gator gig bag arrived, model # G-PG-76SLIM, and my MODX7 does fit it is quite snug in the depth dimension. Below are the dimensions listed for the bag (Gator site) and the MODX7 (Yamaha site):

gig bag: 49 x 13 x 5-1/2

MODX7: 45-1/16 x 13-1/16 x 5-1/4

Theres a little slack on the ends of the bag as you can see from the numbers, but depth and width have no slack at all. The padding is all very nice, and I have had two other gig bags from Gator with no problems, very sturdy for my use, which means my car and personally handled by me. I am keeping this bag, even though its snug, I am OK with the fit. I havent attached the backpack straps so no opinion on that, but I use a regular backpack for DI box, volume pedal etc so probably wont carry the keyboard that way. Usually one trip with X-stand, boom-mic-stand, keyboard and backpack.

Which brings me to the only possible issue with the other Gator soft bags, theres a small storage pocket on top where I usually put cords AND the sustain pedal. In this bag, the external pocket is very large in 2 dimensions, but has no height to it, and given how tight is the fit, Ill have to find somewhere else for the sustain pedal Thats the only downside at this point.

I have posted one photo here as an experiment, as I have never posted a photo here. The only other photos Ive posted otherwise were surf fishing in the Pacific from years ago. I guessed at 800 x 600 in Photo Bucket, hope it looks OK. If so, I will post other photos.

-kirk

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4128_zps70tjwhge.jpg

...photo seems ok, here are the others. Once I zipped it completely, it doesn't stand up straight, due to the tight fit, maybe you can see from the photos.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4129_zpsskoxriws.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4130_zpsmqpidiuh.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4131_zpsonezsxv8.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4132_zpschumdyer.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4133_zpsor27jzlv.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4134_zpsiotvnrca.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4135_zpsvw2bzfmf.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4136_zpsktxlberf.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4137_zpsadppoxfe.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4138_zpsvgrjbngj.jpg

--EOM--

Nice work Yamoho! Will a sustain pedal fit on the end (inside main compartment) if you slide the board down a smidge?

Go ahead and try on those backpack straps for fun ... :)

Nice work Yamoho! Will a sustain pedal fit on the end (inside main compartment) if you slide the board down a smidge?

Go ahead and try on those backpack straps for fun ... :)

I was thinking the same thing about the sustain pedal Yes, it does fit, and I stuck a rag in between the pedal and keybd for protection:

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4139_zpsm4tl9ms3.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4140_zpsab9h351l.jpg

Later on, I put on the backstrap and I thought it was actually quite good. The fittings on the bottom of the strap and on the bag are metal, and the top connects by velcro, which may not seem that great, but its a very strong connection:

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4141_zpsyyyiy6c1.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4142_zpssgkrgbuu.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4143_zpsbwynfuhb.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4144_zpsven1pckm.jpg

Theres also a shoulder strap, metal connections:

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4145_zpshwgsufqq.jpg

And a protective plastic cover for the entire bag:

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/kobrinkworth/Gator%20Gig%20Bag%20MODX7/gator_4146_zpsckjimv97.jpg

As I said before, Ill be keeping this one, I can live with a slightly snug fit.

Dave - thanks for the suggestion of this bag, I hope the photos are helpful.

-kirk