Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig?

Well, when I'm just playing organ....15 seconds after I'm on stage?

If I'm providing PA and lights.....it can take 3+ horus.

Totally depends on the gig.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My setup time is about 10 tp 15 minutes. Apex stand with the mic stand and iPad holder already attached. Kurzweil PC361 goes one the bottom and Roland VR-09 on the top. Power, audio and pedal cords are in a snake. EV ZLX12P for monitor. Done. I do help with the PA and lights since we provide and run our own sound and lights.

Once I've finally humped all my gear into the venue (stairs are NOT my friend...) maybe :15-:20.

Place amp and sub in place, set up dual tier stand. Run power and lay out pedal board (two control, two dampers, one rotary control and IPad DuoTurn), place audio cables, mixer and return monitor, put out the keyboards and cable everything up, run a PA monitor mix feed to my IEMs. Power up, test everything and then grab a beer before showtime.

Load out is more time consuming -as I like to carefully roll my cables and properly pack everything correctly for the next gig. Hate rushing and the having to do a repack at home!

I don't have anywhere practical to post this, so I'll do it here:

Earlier this week I had a cattle-call gig. I played with the 'headliner'/closing band, and there were two bands before us. I brought my smallest rig: NS3 Compact, stand, and cable bag, nothing else. I was going to be able to stand up for this one, and figured I'd just run through the board as well for ease of set-up.

I got there in time for the band before us. There was a keyboard player playing a Yamaha P-something on the bottom and a Nord Electro on top. He was set up right where I would have been. And it turned out he was the guitarist for our group, so would be staying through our set.

Their set ended, and I asked if I could just use his rig. He said, "Hell yes, better than breaking down." But he said his Electro had two faulty keys. So I swapped my Nord for his--plugged in, used his same cabling, dropped my pedals, and was set up in about 45 seconds. Same with breakdown--pulled the plug, popped out the cables...boom. 30 seconds into the case.

These don't come along very often.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Timed myself yesterday, but it was a poor test: stage was covered in junk that took 5 minutes to clear, and I had to troubleshoot some cabling. It was about 20mins, but a good 3rd of it was fixing shit.

PS: drunkest gig Ive ever done. Not me, but stumble-drunk crowd. During break I must have gotten beer spilled on me every 2 minutes. Chinese New Year in Chinatown, Honolulu. Stupid AF... St Paddys got nothin on this!

I feel dumber for having been there.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

1 minute

Nord Electro 5 placed on the x stand provided by the venue (just like the monitors etc)

I use a single board for most of my gigs nowadays. I like it simple and easy. And I want everything to fit on my Honda motorbike after the gig...

ditto

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Between 15 and 30 minutes assuming load in is unfettered.

When I break down... I doubt I am in the majority, as I simply grab the chords like old spaghetti ( or is it Linguine ?) and throw cables and pedal in gym bag (used only for cables).

When time to set up...my mess of wires awaits me; usually i can get them apart without too much wasted time.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Between 15 and 30 minutes assuming load in is unfettered.

When I break down... I doubt I am in the majority, as I simply grab the chords like old spaghetti ( or is it Linguine ?) and throw cables and pedal in gym bag (used only for cables).

When time to set up...my mess of wires awaits me; usually i can get them apart without too much wasted time.

This just made me very OCD.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

One and a half hours setup on Wednesday for this. Had to move church Motif and baby grand, then add my two keyboards, set up monitoring and wiring, ergonomics, and music. Biggest rig ever. Single Motif ran drum and bass tracks. Worship leader + short on musicians = this. :laugh:

IMG-1143.jpg

IMG-1149.jpg

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• 1 month later...

About 6-7 minutes. The key change I did was to change to a single-board rig. I use the Nord Stage 3 Compact and a K&M Baby Spider. Any sound I absolutely have to use gets sampled and loaded on the Nord, although its own samples and the NLA1-based synth gets most of what I need. True, the keyboard zones don't always provide the comfort of a dedicated keyboard for the sound, but careful octave selection and placement of the zone is usually sufficient.

One keyboard, one stand, sustain and expression pedals (sometimes some exotic pedals like MoogerFoogers, H&K Tube Rotosphere, etc), ipad holder, at most 10 minutes for setup, a bit less for teardown.

The prog electronic synth-based band took a lot longer, with an additional stand, a Moog Sub 37 and a Nord Lead A1, vocal processor, delay and reverb pedal, MIDI thru box and a Nord Drum 3P. Good thing we broke up...