Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

I pretty much agree with nursers. I'll add that, despite having fewer controls, I prefer it to Kronos for real-time control. The controls are easier to see and well-spaced, the knobs are endless, the pitch/mod are wheels instead of joystick. Boots in a reasonable amount of time, too. And 76-keys in a board that weighs less than the K61. Kronos has its advantages... the VA synth engines are cool, the huge SSD capacity, aftertouch, assignable outs, more MIDI flexibility, better organs, it's a great board. But the MODX has enough of what I need to handle my gigging needs, and I actually haven't turned the Kronos on since getting the MODX. Despite everything else the Kronos has, the MODX is more fun to use. It feels more like an instrument and less like a computer. I'd like to see Korg update the (2005?) interface and physical ergonomics.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Wow, Nursers and AnotherScott, thanks for the mini review! I've been burned a few times by the Yamaha interface, so user friendliness and flow is real important.

Besides learning a board in general, it oftentimes feels like a tedious task to do the basics of auditioning hundreds, even thousands of sounds, massaging my favorites to my liking, then developing multis that plays predictably, flexibly and to my satisfaction. And part of that tedium is that this process takes an unreasonable amount of time- perhaps I'm just slow in the way I approach these tasks, hard to say, but I most welcome boards that make these most basic tasks faster, more fun and more intuitive to perform.

As far as the keybed- I'd for sure get the 76 note. Guess I'll have to scour for more reviews of the keybed.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Talking about the Modx8 keyboard. There have been a few reports about the keyboard itself beeing noisy? after a few months of use.

You cannot buy a new Modx8 till April, as Thomann said to me (March 28th). Do you think they may be solving these issues?

Casio PX-S3000, Elektron Analog Keys, Elektron Octatrack, Synthstrom Deluge, Eurorack 6U, Yamaha DXR10

Personal:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcpepe2/

Band:

https://www.youtube.com/tentaclesband

Overhere in Holland prices from Modx8 have dropped from 1850 to 1530 ove the lastweek or so..

Delivery times are up to 6 and 7 weeks tough, noboddy has any in stock..

So what am i missing here?

I don't know. Possibly each 'country ' has its own circumstances.

For example, is there a 'country distributor ' for Yamaha in Holland ?

Here in the US , we have Yamaha Corporation of America

Yamaha is mega large so how they distribute might be complex.

For sure, your dealer knows the story.

Here in US, my 2 nearest GC's have a good supply [ 3 or 4] of the Modx88.

Thats not of much help for whats/what in Holland.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Wow, Nursers and AnotherScott, thanks for the mini review! I've been burned a few times by the Yamaha interface, so user friendliness and flow is real important.

Besides learning a board in general, it oftentimes feels like a tedious task to do the basics of auditioning hundreds, even thousands of sounds, massaging my favorites to my liking, then developing multis that plays predictably, flexibly and to my satisfaction. And part of that tedium is that this process takes an unreasonable amount of time- perhaps I'm just slow in the way I approach these tasks, hard to say, but I most welcome boards that make these most basic tasks faster, more fun and more intuitive to perform.

As far as the keybed- I'd for sure get the 76 note. Guess I'll have to scour for more reviews of the keybed.

Glad to help but just a disclaimer - I've only set up 50 or so performances / splits etc so I can't vouch it's the ideal workflow for much larger tasks ;) I'm also just comparing to the Kronos.

Glad to help but just a disclaimer - I've only set up 50 or so performances / splits etc so I can't vouch it's the ideal workflow for much larger tasks ;) I'm also just comparing to the Kronos.

Can you use parts 9-16 to control external gear from the Yamaha keybed or do you have to sacrifice one of the first 8 channels? Last time I had a montage I remember enjoying it but from memory you could control sounds on those channels 9-16 from an external keyboard but not the other way around?

The other thing about the Montage that has been beaten to death on the Yamahasynth forums is the hard coding of midi channels to parts, so no way to say stack 4 sounds on the one midi channel like Roland FA or Kronos can do.... hope in future yamaha starts listening to the people instead of stating Yamaha just works differently from other synths.

Can you use parts 9-16 to control external gear from the Yamaha keybed or do you have to sacrifice one of the first 8 channels? Last time I had a montage I remember enjoying it but from memory you could control sounds on those channels 9-16 from an external keyboard but not the other way around?

No idea on this sorry :)

Can you use parts 9-16 to control external gear from the Yamaha keybed or do you have to sacrifice one of the first 8 channels?

Normally, the MODX's own keys only trigger parts 1 through 8, which can be any combination of internal and external sounds. However, there is an exception, you can also select any single Part from 9-16, and the MODX will play that part and only that part, and that part can also be your choice of an internal or external sound. Therefore, it is possible to be playing an 8-part internal sound (on parts 1-8), and then switch to trigger an external sound on part 9 (for example), meaning you do not have to sacrifice one of the first 8 to play your external sound... but while you are playing part 9 to trigger your external sound, you would no longer be playing any of the internal sounds you had assigned to parts 1-8. So your choices are basically (a) sacrifice an internal part in order to be able to play a mix-and-match of internal and external parts simultaneously, or (b) avoid sacrificing an internal part, but then you are limited to one external part, and whenever you play it, it will play by itself (or actualy, you can layer a single internal sound with it, I believe... but you can't play it simultaneously with the sounds you've selected for Parts 1 through 8).

The other thing about the Montage that has been beaten to death on the Yamahasynth forums is the hard coding of midi channels to parts, so no way to say stack 4 sounds on the one midi channel like Roland FA or Kronos can do.... hope in future yamaha starts listening to the people instead of stating Yamaha just works differently from other synths.

In terms of being able to play multiple Montage/MODX parts from an external controller (separate from the parts being played on the Montage/MODX itself), there are ways around it. One is to select a controller keyboard that supports 4 zones. Another is to take your one-zone controller and put it through a device (MIDI Solutions box, iPhone/iPad) which can take the one channel of MIDI input and route it to 4 MIDI channels of output. (Or 8, to cover all possibilities.) Since Yamaha has clearly heard complaints about this, and has not been stingy with coming out with updates/enhancements for the Montage, my guess if that there is something deep in the architecture that makes this difficult or impossible to change, or something about changing this would create as many problems as it would solve. My guess is that it may have to do with the introduction of multi-part single instruments. This allowed instruments to have more than 8 elements, but this function is tightly tied to MIDI assignments, since each of the 8-element Parts must be assigned to a separate MIDI channel. Allowing the user to freely assign channels to parts could break these instruments.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for the info mate... I do prefer the screen and workflow of the montage over my Kronos, but think the work arounds would make it more hassle than the benefits. Although i could achieve what I need to on the Montage I enjoy the freedom and ease of setting midi channels on the Korg. Hoping that Korg brings out a new flagship workstation in the next year or two.

I was thinking of getting a MODX 8 until i heard reports on the key clacking and build quailty......

Cmon Yamaha, you had the perfect board in theory, then you ruin it with a cheapass build thats gonna atmize right after the 1year warranty?...?

I mean, if CASIO can build high quailty boardsa at a sub $1500 price point, certainly YOU can do it under 2k!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I was thinking of getting a MODX 8 until i heard reports on the key clacking and build quailty......

Cmon Yamaha, you had the perfect board in theory, then you ruin it with a cheapass build thats gonna atmize right after the 1year warranty?...?

I mean, if CASIO can build high quailty boardsa at a sub $1500 price point, certainly YOU can do it under 2k!

I've seen some complaints about the action (still anecdotal at this point), but not overall build quality. But if you want higher quality action and/or more substantial build under $2k from Yamaha, you can get it... look at boards like the CP40, CP73, P515. Okay, they don't do everything the MODX does, but neither do the Casios. ;-) Under $2k can get you X or Y, bu if you want X and Y, things get pricier. You can get a MODX with higher quality action and build (among other things), it's called a Montage.

I've seen some complaints about the action (still anecdotal at this point), but not overall build quality. But if you want higher quality action and/or more substantial build under $2k from Yamaha, you can get it... look at boards like the CP40, CP73, P515. Okay, they don't do everything the MODX does, but neither do the Casios. ;-) Under $2k can get you X or Y, bu if you want X and Y, things get pricier. You can get a MODX with higher quality action and build (among other things), it's called a Montage.

I have the 7, i hear this talk of key noise - but i either a playing with closed headphones to mp3 (e.g self practice) or im playing with a rock band. I havent heard a key strike in the last 7 years of now 6 different bands. I guess if youre playing solo piano, intimate environment, etc., that sort of thing - it is a factor. Its just not in my list so i cant help.

As to build quality - its as good or better than anything else in its segment - all purpose light weight gigging synth/keyboard. If its compared to a $3500+ flagship instrument - it might not measure up. Best to compare it to its relevant segment competitors. I dont know of a better quality 76 key sub-20lb all purpose synth keyboard that does as much at $1499, but maybe im overlooking something. FA-07 is really the only competitor in that nitch imho.

Both have pros and cons, i dont see another option in that segment

I think if youre looking at MODX8 because you want a pro stage piano - look at boards specifically deigned to be stage pianos. It can fill in with AP fine, but that s not its singular purpose or design focus like other options

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I agree with MotiDave. I'm playing the MODX6 and gig with it weekly.

I enjoyed playing AP/EP on MODX8. Bought the MODX6 because I play mainly synth and organ.

Try before buy, try before buy. Hands-on experience is more useful than "reports." We'll know better once the new CPs are in the store and we can A/B the actions and playing experience.

All the best -- pj

Can you use parts 9-16 to control external gear from the Yamaha keybed or do you have to sacrifice one of the first 8 channels?

Normally, the MODX's own keys only trigger parts 1 through 8, which can be any combination of internal and external sounds. However, there is an exception, you can also select any single Part from 9-16, and the MODX will play that part and only that part, and that part can also be your choice of an internal or external sound. Therefore, it is possible to be playing an 8-part internal sound (on parts 1-8), and then switch to trigger an external sound on part 9 (for example), meaning you do not have to sacrifice one of the first 8 to play your external sound... but while you are playing part 9 to trigger your external sound, you would no longer be playing any of the internal sounds you had assigned to parts 1-8. So your choices are basically (a) sacrifice an internal part in order to be able to play a mix-and-match of internal and external parts simultaneously, or (b) avoid sacrificing an internal part, but then you are limited to one external part, and whenever you play it, it will play by itself (or actualy, you can layer a single internal sound with it, I believe... but you can't play it simultaneously with the sounds you've selected for Parts 1 through 8).

In terms of being able to play multiple Montage/MODX parts from an external controller (separate from the parts being played on the Montage/MODX itself), there are ways around it. One is to select a controller keyboard that supports 4 zones. Another is to take your one-zone controller and put it through a device (MIDI Solutions box, iPhone/iPad) which can take the one channel of MIDI input and route it to 4 MIDI channels of output. (Or 8, to cover all possibilities.) Since Yamaha has clearly heard complaints about this, and has not been stingy with coming out with updates/enhancements for the Montage, my guess if that there is something deep in the architecture that makes this difficult or impossible to change, or something about changing this would create as many problems as it would solve. My guess is that it may have to do with the introduction of multi-part single instruments. This allowed instruments to have more than 8 elements, but this function is tightly tied to MIDI assignments, since each of the 8-element Parts must be assigned to a separate MIDI channel. Allowing the user to freely assign channels to parts could break these instruments.

I appreciate the details,Scott. I have read your post twice and still not sure I follow it completely.

I am concerned about 16 track recording and normal use of midi of ModX with other midi keyboards. It strikes me that Yamaha is forcing a workaround to basic 16 channel midi.

Likely I need a video and more manual study. And Korg + Roland has me brain washed.

I can route my FA into the Kronos and record FA tracks- just an example.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I have an ipad controlling allinstruments..

Its also a midi router, its easy to send the same midi to 4 midi channels..

There is allways an easy workaround for any problem..

No instrument is perfect, thats why we willprobably allways be using more then one instrument..

The problem with the internet and people allways whining amd complaining is that problems are allways blown out of proportions..

This probably also is the case for the modx keyboard clacking described in this topic..

There is no single instrument brand (not even behringer) offering so much bang for the buck as the Yamaha modx 6...

So in your opinion MODX8 has a lesser build quality and more clicking noise than Casio's? I have completely opposite experience.

I think it's not a generic issue. Some of Yamaha's GHS (MODX8) actions develop clanky noises because of lack of impact curtailing felt of sorts. Could be a quality thing limited to a number of keybeds, as suggested in other threads. Meanwhile, some of the MODX6/7 boards are called flimsy and noisy by a few posters.

As they are in back order almost everywhere, we could see improved ones in a few months, but this is a (wild though hopeful) guess.

Anyway, had a MODX8 but sent it back.

Will get a MODX7 later on.

These boards rock.

If you hear keys, just play louder :). I played Motif XF7, MOXF6, and now MODX7. MODX7 is better but similar to MOXF6 and not that much different than XF7. XF7 is twice as heavy so its feels more substantial - i dont know you can get to equal and reduce weight by 1/2. Thats Montage. Ill take the weight loss and live happily with the keys.

Best advice is try b4 buy - everyone has different desires, feelings, priorities. If youre ordering online - if you absolutely hate MOXF6, you wont be happy (my guess - maybe you will be). If you were ok with MOXF6 youll love MODX6/7 as its just easier to do anything or everything, and is improved sonically. Maybe something else is for you - important thing is buy what YOU like, not what a forum moron like me says :)

I tried MODX8 - having played semi/synth weight for now 7 years, it felt heavy slow sluggish. Which is probably more me than it.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I appreciate the details,Scott. I have read your post twice and still not sure I follow it completely.

I am concerned about 16 track recording and normal use of midi of ModX with other midi keyboards. It strikes me that Yamaha is forcing a workaround to basic 16 channel midi.

My post was all in the context of live performance, which might explain why it wouldn't all make sense for you. I've never done any MIDI recording with it.

That said, in terms of 16 track recording, the MODX is not a workstation, it does not include a full function sequencer, so if you want to do 16 track recording, you would use your DAW. So I think there's no MODX MIDI limitation there, unless you want to play more than 8 parts simultaneously into your DAW.

As for 16 track playback, it can do that.

I'm picking my MODX7 up after work - traffic and schedule permitting. Sorry to twang my one note as I seem rather lonely in this passionate pursuit:

Why has acquired a case for MODX7:

- yammaha MODX7 gig bag

- other gig bag (e.g. Gator, other - which?)

- rigid case - TSA approved latches

Thoughts, recommendations? I think I may get both a TSA worthy molded case and a gig bag both so all sides of the equation (short of plywood flight case) are very welcome

Anyone found any alternatives to the Yamaha Gig Bag? The MODX7 is an odd size, too big for standard 61-key bag and too small for 76-key bags. I am looking for a soft gig bag, something like the GKB bags for Gator.

I'm picking my MODX7 up after work - traffic and schedule permitting. Sorry to twang my one note as I seem rather lonely in this passionate pursuit:

- yammaha MODX7 gig bag

Thoughts, recommendations? I think I may get both a TSA worthy molded case and a gig bag both so all sides of the equation (short of plywood flight case) are very welcome

Anyone found any alternatives to the Yamaha Gig Bag? The MODX7 is an odd size, too big for standard 61-key bag and too small for 76-key bags. I am looking for a soft gig bag, something like the GKB bags for Gator.

Sizewise, it should fit in a 76 key nord stage bag..

If you're looking for something low cost, the Yamaha YBNP76 (Piaggero bag) works for the MODX7.

So in your opinion MODX8 has a lesser build quality and more clicking noise than Casio's? I have completely opposite experience.

I know that PX5s had those issues but when I had one I didnt experience them.

Granted, I only used it intermittently for backup practice and not as a primary board.

I briefly had a PX560s for a week till I got my RD 2000 and I had a mostly good experience with that also. I would never have one as a primary board. I detest the thinness of the top 2 octaves .

But for a sub 1500 board, its quite ok.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I know that PX5s had those issues but when I had one I didnt experience them.

Many people with MODX8 are not experiencing any issues, either.

- yammaha MODX7 gig bag

Sizewise, it should fit in a 76 key nord stage bag..

I read of one MODX7 owner who got this Gator G-PG-76SLIM. Length and width are ok, he said it was a tad snug at first but after a few uses the bag relaxed to fit it nicely. Ive been thinking about this one - i got the Yamaha bag and it really gives little confidence to me. Have to baby protect the board almost as much as if it was naked. It has backpack straps so i can carry it hands free but otherwise i dont trust it to protect it.

Gator 76 Slim

Thanx Dave! Looks like a nice bag, and based on dimensions, I can see why it might be a little snug, but still I imagine it fits. Good feedback from the other person that you heard from. I have always liked products from Gator, well-made and offer good protection.