Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm allowed one stupid thread, so let's talk weighted small

Yeah, yeah I know.

But what exactly are my options for the smallest-profile (length/depth) fully-weighted digital pianos with a reasonable acoustic piano tone?

I have a fantasy about finding a tiny 61-64-key board with full-sized, fully-weighted keys. If nothing else, can play Bach on it or a good amount of jazz/American music.

Let's go all the way up to 76 keys. No mod wheels, no nothing except volume and standard TRS jacks.

As you all know brick and mortar shops are not having the good times, so I don't remember what's out there.

I still suppose my Rhodes or Wurlitzer EP could do the job for practice, but since in the US tax refund season is coming around, I'd really like the ultimate bare-bones backup, just in case.

Yes, I know, use "search" and try having a clue, but I don't feel so bad about starting a dumb thread.

Only requirement is fully-weight action, preferably on the heavy side, and IMHO the actual samples/models for ac. piano are all fine, or good enough. Don't care about on-board speakers, or any MIDI implementation.

Truly, just a "good enough" spare tiny board that allows for playing at least enough space for playing Beethoven sonatas to "stay current" on technique. For other uses, I can get away with fewer keys.

I had a fantasy about buying a Clavichord (the old school ones made of wood and steel and brawn), but IMHO they're too fragile and not much good for modern repertoire.

If the answer is "no," then with all the power of a random forum poster and regular piano/organ player, that might add some spurs to get some of the big manufacturers to make such an instrument.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the newcomer Yamaha P-121: 10 kilos, 73 keys, GHS action. It's the same as the old P-35 and P-45, not the best piano keybed around, but a more than decent portable graded hammer action.

It's slightly deeper and taller than the RD-64, but it has exactly the same width and it's 3 kilos lighter with more sounds, more keys, more polyphony and on-board speakers.

There are other boards with 73-76 weighted keys but they are usually more towards workstation features and price (Kurzweil, Yamaha, Nord etc). Maybe the closest may be the Nord HP models, but they are expensive.

For a plain, portable piano, I can't think of anything apart from the P-121 and the RD-64 (which I believe is discontinued btw).

Thanks!

I think the Yamaha is, for me, a little better (more keys, less space wasted at the LH cheekblock for .... well, I'd be gracious and assume the Roland board has at least one of their pretty good Rhodes sample on it ... but I'd rather have the space used for more keys and that darker Yamaha piano sound).

Of course I don't know what I'm talking about without at least having played either one, but at least that's a good start.

Probably a super-niche market, but I think it's an excellent idea to just have a little "travelling" board that doesn't have synth-weighted keys or miniature keys: if I just wanted to plunk out some tunes for composing, I'd just bring one of those backpacking-sized guitars or a kazoo or something and some staff paper.

But being able to do serious work, including technical exercises, at the keyboard is an excellent bonus.

ETA. Geez, the Yamaha is one ugly looking board. I guess that's what black gaffer's tape is for.

BUT, there is something to be said for just tossing a little board in a bag + sustain pedal + little X-stand over the shoulder in a little soft-sided bag and heading out for an impromptu weekend vacation. The ideal form-factor is a Nord Stage, but then it gets too big, too complicated for my needs, and also more of a real instrument than my idea of a "head-out-the-door" on a moment's notice backup/mini thing.

That is too bad the RD-64 is only find-able by sheer luck, it seems the smaller profile almost makes up for the lack of the extra octave. I just really don't like that "wedge" shape of many keyboards, including the Yamaha for one, just a flat slab is better for stacking, and IMHO it just is simpler and better-looking.

Yeah, that's kind of a petty aesthetic reason on my part, but nobody, I'm guessing, likes to think when starting to practice, much less perform, start thinking negative thoughts like "ergh, this is an ugly mofo!"

I think you just perfectly described the Roland RD-64, so that would be my first choice if you can find one used. And yes, there are a few of their supernatural Rhodes/Wurlie samples.

Other than that and Yamaha P121, I think there is Nord Electro HP, Korg Grandstage 73 and Dexibell with 76 keys.

I've been looking at the 68-key Dexibell Vivo S1, specifically as a complement to the Mojo61 that I could stack directly on top of it without needing an extra stand/tier. Apparently there's disagreement over whether or not its keybed qualifies as a "hammer" action. But its sound palette would seem to be a perfect complement to the Mojo's: killer AP; usable leads and pads; and EPs that will get you by when you need them concurrently with the Mojo's organ. The main downsides are the lack of pitch and mod wheels, and frankly, the price, given what it can and can't do.

I think that's absolutely right: it may not be easy to track down a used RD-64, at least one that hasn't been too abused (or else why would they sell it!).

The Korg and the Electro HP seem like nice instruments, but way more than my idea of the keyboard-equivalent of a portable guitar, that I can afford to be casual with and just use it for short trips out to the coast or a short weekend someplace.

I should upgrade my "real" digital gear sometime, but for now my regular stage gear is adequate.

Anyway, as I'm sure everyone's noticed, there seems to be this little problem where what they want to pay won't even cover gas money for one, let alone multiple, members of a little pick-up band. Let alone the cost of lost opportunities for better-paying short-term jobs.

Bah. My regular beat-up stage gear can stay at home, so long as I have a little usable (but limited) instrument to toss over my shoulder when the mood strikes.

Geez, the Yamaha is one ugly looking board.

I just really don't like that "wedge" shape of many keyboards, including the Yamaha for one, just a flat slab is better for stacking, and IMHO it just is simpler and better-looking.

Maybe look at the Studiologic SL73, with an iPad (or even iPod Touch) velcro'd to it as the sound source. Actually smaller than the Yamaha in 2 out of 3 dimensions, and not too much bigger in the third.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On the low end, there's the Yamaha Piaggero NP32, 76 keys, under 13lbs, very inexpensive...
not a fully weighted (hammer) action, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Interesting discussion, to be sure. A sweet shorty weighted board under my Nord Stage 3 Compact would be fun for some of the gigs I do. I really don't need the full range, although it's always fun to go booming down in the lower registers.

I guess I've resigned myself to hauling around a full 88 for the time being.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I've bought the Nord Electro5 HP73 for that very reason - something like 11.4kg as opposed to 25kg on my Roland RD700nx.

It's a really nice board, although it wasn't cheap.

On the other hand, someone mentioned the Yamaha P121. I had the P120 years ago and that was a fantastic board for lounge gigs. I can't believe that you can get the P121 for between £400 and £500. Amazing value.

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

I wonder if it's possible to MIDIfy a Wurlitzer EP. No, that's not a joke. 64 keys, A-C.

Oh, I'm 100% sure even I could do that with a lot of trial and error.

Not too lightweight, though!

Although one of the stage models I've been able to carry under one arm, and it's about as self-contained as it gets. Just kind of bulky.

The Yamaha Piaggero might be close to the Wurlitzer key-weight: I wouldn't call the Wurlitzer keyboard "fully-weighted," really. More like a spinet acoustic piano. Definitely playable as a piano, just not a heavy action.

The Yamaha Piaggero might be close to the Wurlitzer key-weight: I wouldn't call the Wurlitzer keyboard "fully-weighted," really. More like a spinet acoustic piano. Definitely playable as a piano, just not a heavy action.

Piaggero is not close to the feel of a Wurli or a spinet acoustic.

+I would LOVE a new Casio S series mode in 76 keys; it would reduce the weight what percent? For me it's all about a very good action and piano sound, onboard speakers, in the fewest pound weight. Nothing more. I have a bad back, so the smaller lighter criteria is extremely important to me. Currently there is not a decent 76 key digital piano out there, imo.

I don't like the Nord or the Roland or the lower priced Yamaha actions, either too sluggish, stiff, or synthy. I play like shit on those actions. So its a 24.5 pound Casio S for me.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

+I would LOVE a new Casio S series mode in 76 keys; it would reduce the weight what percent? For me it's all about a very good action and piano sound, onboard speakers, in the fewest pound weight. Nothing more. I have a bad back, so the smaller lighter criteria is extremely important to me. Currently there is not a decent 76 key digital piano out there, imo.

I don't like the Nord or the Roland or the lower priced Yamaha actions, either too sluggish, stiff, or synthy. I play like shit on those actions. So its a 24.5 pound Casio S for me.

You are hitting many of the boxes for me... only thing missing is layers of at least 4 zones with split points.

But I wanted to ask about light action.

I have played keyboards for a long long time, yet never made a conscious connection regarding actions, the way so many here do. I guess that is impressive.. I cannot even imitate what users he say... "this fatar that, and this hammer and sickle that"

All I can give regarding my requirement for action is the word you use... light.

For me there is a 4500 dollar Nord that had fairly light action.

I wish the Roland 2000 was not so heavy.

I sold my Yamaha CP5 because of action too heavy.

I would like to hear about your opinions on various actions... naming the brand/ model.

I am surprised the action of Nord was for you.....??

At GC, the only place I have access to, there are Privias, which are light

Many Yamahas

a Nord

Roland

Korg

I need LIGHT action to manage to play!

Thanks

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

For light 7x-key hammer action and 4 zones, I'd look at Kurzweil Forte 7.

Forthcoming Yamaha CP73 could be a possibility.

If you'd consider non-hammer action, Kurzweil Artis 7 or maybe Yamaha MODX7.

None have built in speakers.

Good find. Not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, but at least there's some out there.

Also there is the new Roland FP-10, which is just 7" longer than RD-64 (doesn't have controls to the left), and actually 1 lb lighter with 88 keys. And cheaper than a used RD-64. ($500?)

Interesting that this ends up lighter than the older RD-64. Unfortunately, for the me, the length of the keyboard is important you know, adding in a few inches in either direction for a little lightweight case, and the next thing I'd be doing is knocking over a lit candle at some girl's apartment and being shown the door on a romantic weekend.

However, at about five hundy, that can buy a lot of new candles and maybe some flowers or shit to apologize with.

I'd wait and at least try the new Casio Privias before buying anything. 88 keys but very slim and lightweight.

I don't doubt it one bit.

I think it would be wise for me to try to put hands on one of these new Privias or the above-mentioned Yamaha CP-73 (the latter sounds like it could be more cash than I want to spend for basically just a toy for me to play around with when traveling light).

It's not that I'm a glutton for punishment with heavier action yes, my wrists and forearms get sore playing heavy rock and roll/blues on those after a while without being careful or changing it up, but I like the added little bit of control I feel I get, especially since I'm not playing a lot of Romantic-era piano repertoire that needs a bunch of skittering along the tops of the keys.

That can't possibly be true that the Privia line generally lacks basic MIDI. Not really applicable to my case, but you never know when you might want to rig up a little mini-Franken setup.

Hey Jtour

Just saw an RD64 listed in the local PDX Craigslist

PS - I have one, really like it for the reasons others note above - also, is very easy to slide under another keyboard

Thanks! I did check out the listing.

I suppose we'll see if the taxman gives his refund in a timely fashion.

The more I see of the RD-64, the more I get to be irritated by the controls on the left, though I feel I might be tempted to just borrow a Skil Saw and cut that whole part off and tuck the electronics somewhere inside and patch up the exposed end with duck tape.

BUT, the nice, flat profile and overall simplicity is very appealing.

I wouldn't even say it's too expensive, given some of the non-ac-piano options included. Even the reverb is not without its uses.

For a light board for the right performance situation, it likely is pretty close to ideal for a compact stage board. For me as a lower keyboard with my old XK-1 on top it could be close to ideal as both pianos and as a lower organ manual.

For which the LH-side controls would be a great idea no having to try to peek between the boards to change something.

Probably what it was designed for, really.

I'd wait and at least try the new Casio Privias before buying anything.
Do I correctly remember that the Privias lack DIN MIDI?
True for the two new models (PX-S1000, PX-S3000), hopefully not for future ones but we don't know.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I had an RD64. Great concept, so-so execution. 28 lbs and several inches longer than necessary. I hope the designer was sacked, and that the people who hired the designer were also sacked. Because aside from those 2 points, the RD64 came closest to the keyboard for which I have long hankered -- a portable 76-or-less key keyboard with decent weighted action and a decent piano sound. In thej end, the length, weight, and action were collectively sub-optimal enough that I decided to sell it and move on.

The Nord Electro HP fits my criteria, but at $3K you're paying for the organ section, and I wouldn't use it except in emergency.

The SV-1 came very close, but tilted controls were too much of a hurdle for my claustrophic fingers. The Grandstage solved that problem, but was still 38 lbs.

Now Yamaha has 2 offerings. The P121 could meet my criteria but GHS action falls a bit short. The CP73 hits the nail almost on the head. At $2k the price is a bit steep. If you'll be using the split and controller functions, the price is not out of line. Since I would just be playing piano on it, I'd rather see something in the priced where the SV-1 is around $1500.

Still, these are all reasonable options to consider and it's good to see the industry trend in this direction.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64