Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does the Lester K not suck?

CEB

Out of town. This modified mini vent developed a noise issue. There is a store with a Lester K. I assume it is better than the XK3c on board swirly-ma-gig.

Thanks.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks I'm going to do it. First reaction is crap I probably won't break even tonight but second reaction is this gives me nice options. I can run the Roland workstation into the pedal and place it on the left top of the Kronos and cover some organ type stuff and not have to carry the XK stuff. The vent is racked and setup to by fed from an 11 pin socket. One of the switches were removed for an additional input Jack. It's a nice setup for an organ gig but I'm tired and my health is declining and I'm becoming adverse to carrying heavy things.

Thanks.

I think it's pretty good. Here's what it does for my reface YC.

Jake

[video:youtube]

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Personally I would put the money you were going to spend on a Lester K towards either a mini vent repair or a new one. The XK3c's sim is good enough on a temporary basis. My two cents.

P.S. last summer I did an outdoor gig at East Coast Sturgis. The Vent developed such a loud hum that it appeared to be broken and I used the Leslie sim of the keys to get through the gig. Hasn't done it before or since that gig so I attributed it to the outdoor electric supply. You should check the mini vent at a different electrical source outside the building your are setup at and do a reaffirmation that it is a real problem.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Lester growls much better than others, and its perfect for classic rock.

You wont get Earl Grant Fast lush tones, but its really good for dirty work.

Its got that Wood cab tone too which makes the growl authentic.

Think of Uriah Heep Head East, etc.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

The XK3c's sim is good enough on a temporary basis. My two cents.

Seems like Ed disagrees or he wouldn't be purchasing a Lester K on the spot. It is a good suggestion however. We'll see how this plays out when CEB follows up.

:nopity:

I used to use my Lester K with my Roland Fantom 08.

I would turn off all Leslie sim stuff in the FA. Then I ran organ patches thru the sub out of the Fantom thru the Lester K.

Sounded great in the rock band situation.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I'm going to repair the Vent if it needs it. The Vent channel on the rack had a really bad hum. I think part of the problem might be that my 4 space rack bag is like 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon can. If something goes wrong it is practically impossible to work on. There is way too much AC runs crammed in with audio runs. I don't wanted bring back my old 12 space beast but I do have an old 8 space rack I can use. I bought the 4 space bag when an old gig came to an end in 2013. I didn't transport my own gear then and I had to downsize because My gig car was a Chevy HHR. I have another cargo van now.

What the Lester gets me is I'm not married to the XK3c any longer if I want organ sounds. Last night I didn't use the Hammond just the FA. That didn't work well because I had no time to edit any raw organ patch. What I think I will do is try to slave the Kronos to the FA and send the organ zones out an assignable output to the Lester.

What I think I will do is try to slave the Kronos to the FA and send the organ zones out an assignable output to the Lester.

That's how I did it with my FA, as stated above your post.

I used my MOXF6 to play the organ sounds on the FA, and those organ sounds went out the sub-out on the FA to the Lester K

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with having the Lester K on the main outs, and just using the bypass switch for everything but organ. I know you can't use organ splits this way, but I only use one sound at a time anyway.

The Lester K bypass is a buffered bypass, but I don't know how that affects overall sound.

• 4 months later...
I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with having the Lester K on the main outs, and just using the bypass switch for everything but organ. I know you can't use organ splits this way, but I only use one sound at a time anyway.

My problem using a sim that way was forgetting to switch it out and suddenly hearing leslie on my horns or strings. Probably more issue on a multi-board rig, where you'll switch to a board and may not remember what the last thing you were using it for was. On a single board, having to switch away from the organ sound for anything else, it's probably easier to remember to simultaneously hit the bypass.

It would be nice if the bypass/active status could be switched via MIDI, that would be a help here, if you were calling up all your sounds with via MIDI from an iPad or master board or whatever. I think the Burn was able to do that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I liked mine but need more dirt.

Lucky guitarist got my vent and Lester k.

Lester has the woody walnut tone though, pretty sweet sound for lots of stuff other than classic filthy steppenwolf Jon Lordy wakeman stuff.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I liked mine but need more dirt.

Lucky guitarist got my vent and Lester k.

Lester has the woody walnut tone though, pretty sweet sound for lots of stuff other than classic filthy steppenwolf Jon Lordy wakeman stuff.

And now you use what ?

The HX3 sim ?

:)

A.C.

Nice playin', Jake! Shows that the YC is not a toy in the right hands.

Best -- pj

Thanks! Im planning on buying another yc this summer because my grandson is really into it. Itll stay at my house for the time being, but hes already relating the funky draw bars with the originals on my B......

I also enjoy the mini keys due to the arthritis in my thumbs. Grabbing a 13th chord without pain is wonderful!

The Lester K adds another dimension to the yc. The onboard sim is OK for jazz jams, but the Lester in stereo makes me forget what keyboard Im playing.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I like mine. It's handy to have a 2nd pedal. My Vent is fixed and I'm using it again. Mostly due to the convenience of going out the 11-pin and using the remote mod. The Lester K is a nice guitar pedal also. I like it better for guitar than the Lester G which has a bunch of extra compressor stuff I don't care for.

I suspect that the amount of benefit would vary with how new or old the Electro model you're comparing, since Nord's own effect has improved over the years.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Anyone using the Lester with a Nord Electro? If so, what say ye?

I use it with my NE2 and sometimes with my C1. My NE4 I use the internal sim since I think the Nord has the edge.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

I think it's pretty good. Here's what it does for my reface YC.

Jake

At the end of the vid I´d agree on there´s somewhat correct ramp up/down time for low rotor,- but for the horn, to me ramp up/down appears to be too fast.

The overall sound is good, but I´d appreciate ramp up/down for both low and high rotors were user adjustable.

But for the price ...

I now can imagine using it for KURZ KB3 saving DSP ressources.

A.C.

but for the horn, to me ramp up/down appears to be too fast.

The beginning of this video is a good reference for how quickly the horn should ramp up and slow down, since it's so clearly visible... it's pretty quick.

[video:youtube]

but for the horn, to me ramp up/down appears to be too fast.

The beginning of this video is a good reference for how quickly the horn should ramp up and slow down, since it's so clearly visible... it's pretty quick

Yep, it is, but it´s different when ramp up or ramp down.

When I listened to the lester K above, I had the impression it simply switches between slow and fast until I listened to the final action,- setting the effect to stop and listening to how long it needs to slow down ´til stop,- and the most obvious was the low rotor.

I understand and KNOW the treble rotor won´t need that much time, but also me found it "pretty" quick.

On the original, it depends on which pulley is in use and there´s the age ...

The rest is TASTE !

Adjustability is a plus IMO.

A.C.

On the original, it depends on which pulley is in use

Changing the belt's pulley location should only change what it's slow and fast speeds ARE, not how fast it takes to make the change (at least not by any appreciable amount).

Adjustability is a plus IMO.

The Lester G adds more adjustability, but you lose the stereo inputs which are convenient if you're playing in stereo and need to switch the same board between organ (stereo generated by the pedal) and its own internal sound (assuming the board does not have any separate assignable out, which would be another way to accomplish the same goal).

Lester growls much better than others, and its perfect for classic rock.

You wont get Earl Grant Fast lush tones, but its really good for dirty work.

:like: for the Earl Grant reference.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin