Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

I have a CT-X700. I was under the impression that that their sound engine produced the same quality (fidelity) of patches across four models of CT-X. Only that they could be edited on the higher models with more additional features and bigger speakers.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I have CTx-700 as listed in my signature since they debuted. I researched the CTx models at that time and was under the impression that I was told that their sound engine produced the same quality (fidelity or resolution) of patches across four models of CTX. Only that they could be edited on the higher models with more additional features and bigger speakers.

There are MORE tones on the higher end models which also provide access to countless effect algorithms.

I frankly haven't had a moment to do a side by side but just due to the nature of the fact that you can edit effects on the PX-S3000 those patches that are the same or similar as your CT-X700 have the ability to be significantly different. There are over 90 amplifier models to choose from in some of the distortion algorithms as an example - add this to the modulation effects, it is a different animal.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I just hope the PX-S1000 will remain interesting enough.

There's something about that sleek screenless slab I just love.

They both look like that, no? Especially when they're powered down.

It's the little things. No knobs, no levers. If they don't cripple the PX-S1000 I'll get several.

If you want zero, okay. The PX-S3000 has a pitch bend wheel and two modulation knobs, all on the left side of the keys. It still looks pretty clean to me, but if you don't need them, the PX-S1000 should do. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

[video:youtube]

I guess their PX-S3000 video is still being completed.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

^Wow it's so nice and quiet at this NAMM! Must have been a lull in the action...

Ok so I'm trying to get up to speed here. Disregarding the auxiliary sounds, are the core pianos ("Grand Piano Concert," "Bright," "Mellow," "Rock" and "Jazz") the same in both the PX-S1000 and PX-S3000? At $600 the 1000 is just barely above impulse purchase level. The 3000 not so much.

Both could function as an addition to a main rig for times you want to just grab a keyboard for piano and go. I hope the speakers are decent. Battery power is a plus for things I'm thinking about.

Obviously you can't do any type of critical listening at the show but still I really liked what I heard. I hadn't played a Casio in years and this came as a shock to me! They've done a great job at this price range. I might even get the S1000. The fact that you can use the pedal to turn pages and control various functions is great too.
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

The 3000 ticks a ton of boxes for me. Can't wait to get my hands on one. Feel is key, and if there's some approximation of escapement so that keys repeat without full travel, all the better.

More often than not I'd be controlling virtual keys with it, but the built-in patches sound like they'd be more than adequate for any live situation I'd find myself in.

I make software noises.

I'm sold on the new 2019 S1000 and S3000 models.

My only reservation is its clean tone Fender Rhodes piano for jazz blowing.

The S1000 only has a Dyno-Rhodes with Chorus built in. That wont work for jazz blowing. It does not have a clean tone Rhodes.

I believe that the S3000 clean tone Rhodes is based on the CTX series Rhodes. The 2018 CTX Rhodes were inferior, imo, to the PX-360 and PX560 Rhodes. I did a side by side.

My hope is that the new S series software and key action improves the sample clarity and the dynamic response of the clean tone Fender Rhodes patches.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The S1000 only has a Dyno-Rhodes with Chorus built in.

Where did you find that info? That's surprising, since the similarly 18-sound PX-160 that it is effectively superseding had two Rhodes EP sounds (and a Wurli and a DX7-FM).

The 2018 CTX Rhodes were inferior, imo, to the PX-360 and PX560 Rhodes. I did a side by side.

And even the 560 has some additional nice Rhodes sounds that are not in the 360. But I'm curious, did you ever try playing your CTX Rhodes from your 360? Maybe they would not be inferior if you played them from a hammer action? (It's not the easiest thing to test since the CTX doesn't have a standard MIDI port, but you can do it if both keyboards are connected to a computer.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

...(It's not the easiest thing to test since the CTX doesn't have a standard MIDI port, but you can do it if both keyboards are connected to a computer.)

How would someone do that? Is it possible with any pair of usb-midi and 5-pin midi keyboards? Or two USB-midi keyboards?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

...(It's not the easiest thing to test since the CTX doesn't have a standard MIDI port, but you can do it if both keyboards are connected to a computer.)

How would someone do that? Is it possible with any pair of usb-midi and 5-pin midi keyboards? Or two USB-midi keyboards?

Once you connect two keyboards to your computer (or iPad)--regardless of whether the keyboards are connected via their USB ports or standard MIDI jacks--you then have the ability to route things between them, so you can play the keys on one and trigger the sounds on the other.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The S1000 only has a Dyno-Rhodes with Chorus built in.

Where did you find that info? That's surprising, since the similarly 18-sound PX-160 that it is effectively superseding had two Rhodes EP sounds (and a Wurli and a DX7-FM).

The 2018 CTX Rhodes were inferior, imo, to the PX-360 and PX560 Rhodes. I did a side by side.

And even the 560 has some additional nice Rhodes sounds that are not in the 360. But I'm curious, did you ever try playing your CTX Rhodes from your 360? Maybe they would not be inferior if you played them from a hammer action? (It's not the easiest thing to test since the CTX doesn't have a standard MIDI port, but you can do it if both keyboards are connected to a computer.)

I listened very carefully to every demo of the S1000's "Electric Piano", repeatedly... It's a Dyno-Rhodes type (dingy bell attack) with Chorus effect built in. It's NOT a clean tone Rhodes for jazz blowing. So that leads me to the S3000.

I compared my PX-360 clean Fender Rhodes, side by side, with the CT-X700 clean Fender Rhodes using Sony MDR 506 headphones. The PX-360 clean Rhodes had a better simulation, something was lacking with the clean tone Tender Rhodes in the CT=X700. My iPhone Scarbee clean Fender Rhodes still sounded fantastic when played from the CT-X700 key bed and from the PX-360 key bed. Therefore, I doubt the CT-X700 key bed was diminishing its internal clean Fender Rhodes patches.

Does the clean tone Rhodes in the S3000 have better clarity and dynamic response than the CT-X series clean tone Rhodes did? Who knows?

Once you connect two keyboards to your computer (or iPad)--regardless of whether the keyboards are connected via their USB ports or standard MIDI jacks--you then have the ability to route things between them, so you can play the keys on one and trigger the sounds on the other.

Do I need special software to do this? I run Cubase AI 9.5, but also have Studio One 4 Prime, GarageBand, and Audacity. My interface can handle one set of 5-pin jacks, and then I could connect a usb-midi keyboard to a normal usb port on the computer?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I listened very carefully to every demo of the S1000's "Electric Piano", repeatedly... It's a Dyno-Rhodes type (dingy bell attack) with Chorus effect built in.

I'm not doubting that the S1000 has a dyno-sounding Rhodes sound in it... I'm asking how you know that that is the *only* Rhodes sound in it. The model it's superseding has two, so I'm surprised to hear this only has one.

I compared my PX-360 clean Fender Rhodes, side by side, with the CT-X700 clean Fender Rhodes using Sony MDR 506 headphones. The PX-360 clean Rhodes had a better simulation, something was lacking with the clean tone Tender Rhodes in the CT=X700. My iPhone Scarbee clean Fender Rhodes still sounded fantastic when played from the CT-X700 key bed and from the PX-360 key bed. Therefore, I doubt the CT-X700 key bed was diminishing its internal clean Fender Rhodes patches.

Another interesting "level the playing field" test could be to play a MIDI file into the Rhodes sounds of both keyboards, and see if you still hear the same "something lacking" in the CTX Rhodes vs the PX360.

Do I need special software to do this? I run Cubase AI 9.5, but also have Studio One 4 Prime, GarageBand, and Audacity. My interface can handle one set of 5-pin jacks, and then I could connect a usb-midi keyboard to a normal usb port on the computer?

Yes you need software, I use free MIDI-OX for that, but others should be able to route midi as well. You can connect two keyboards directly to USB ports on your PC, or to 5-din on your interface.

Don't know how to do that on iPad though. Probably iMidiPatchBay.

Can the S1000 or S3000 act as an audio interface from the USB port?

The USB ports on PX-S models is for USB-MIDI only and doesn't act as an audio interface.

Ok. Thanks.

Casio PX-S3000, Elektron Analog Keys, Elektron Octatrack, Synthstrom Deluge, Eurorack 6U, Yamaha DXR10

Personal:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcpepe2/

Band:

https://www.youtube.com/tentaclesband

Any keyboard with either USB MIDI or 5-pin DIN MIDI can trigger Pianoteq. With USB as on the PX-S, just run a USB cable from the piano to the computer. But I think your question is not really about triggering Pianoteq, but about how you will hear Pianoteq. If you want to hear Pianoteq through the Casio's internal speakers, yes, you'd run a cable from the Audio Out of your computer or interface to the 1/8" stereo audio in of the PX. Of course, you'd also have the option of listening to Pianoteq through any other speakers connected to your computer (or through headphones).

I listened very carefully to every demo of the S1000's "Electric Piano", repeatedly... It's a Dyno-Rhodes type (dingy bell attack) with Chorus effect built in.

I'm not doubting that the S1000 has a dyno-sounding Rhodes sound in it... I'm asking how you know that that is the *only* Rhodes sound in it. The model it's superseding has two, so I'm surprised to hear this only has one.

In the video with Rich Formidoni at Kraft, he steps through the 4 electric pianos in order: Dyno-Chorus-Rhodes (D key), DX7 type 1 (Eb key), DX7 type 2 (E key), Wurly with Tremolo (F key), and continues on with Harpsichord (F# key), Vibes (G key), Strings (Ab key), etc...

It's at 5:00, I watched the video clip at .75 and .50 speeds with Sony MDR 7506 headphones to make sure of what I was hearing.

Thus, one has to buy the S3000 to get a decent clean Rhodes tone.

[video:youtube]

In the video with Rich Formidoni at Kraft, he steps through the 4 electric pianos in order: Dyno-Chorus-Rhodes (D key), DX7 type 1 (Eb key), DX7 type 2 (E key), Wurly with Tremolo (F key), and continues on with Harpsichord (F# key), Vibes (G key), Strings (Ab key), etc...

Thanks, good catch. I'm not a fan of that Rhodes sound either. Though I'm not sure what the Eb key EP is!

Having to hold down a button and then touch one of the lowest octave keys to pick a sound seems like a very unapppealing result of the user interface choices. Id much rather have a screen and use a push-button dial to scroll, sort of like on the Numa Compact 2 and 2X, or have up and down buttons.

If the S-1000 had a built in audio interface which allowed playing iPad instruments through the line outs, Id be extremely interested. I very much like a board this light with a keybed reported to feel as good as it does, but I think a built-in audio interface for easy iOS integration will be a sine qua non to any new keyboards purchased for me moving forward.

Very interested to see what Casio will do with PX-5S replacement Mike has hinted at.

Patch changing while holding a button is not a problem for me.

The PX-S1000 has AUDIO IN : Yes (Stereo mini)

The PX-S1000 has Blue Tooth and USB TO HOST.

The PX-S1000 has Blue Tooth and USB TO HOST.

Casio's USB TO HOST is for MIDI only, not audio... audio is the "missing feature" tfort is asking about, which some other boards can do. Bluetooth isn't a substitute for this because of latency.

Ok, which digital piano does have USB Audio ?

By the way, did you see my reply: 4 electric pianos in order: Dyno-Chorus-Rhodes (D key), DX7 type 1 (Eb key), DX7 type 2 (E key), Wurly with Tremolo (F key), and continues on with Harpsichord (F# key), Vibes (G key), Strings (Ab key), etc...

"

Ok, which digital piano does have USB Audio ?

By the way, did you see my reply: 4 electric pianos in order: Dyno-Chorus-Rhodes (D key), DX7 type 1 (Eb key), DX7 type 2 (E key), Wurly with Tremolo (F key), and continues on with Harpsichord (F# key), Vibes (G key), Strings (Ab key), etc...

"

Pretty sure Scott's comment was dry humor as in the Eb EP doesn't sound like what it's supposed to?