Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2972579 - 01/30/19 01:12 AM David Gilmour charity guitar auction
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Just saw on the BBC that David Gilmour is auctioning off @120 guitars for charity. They didn’t say if any of his more famous guitars will be on the block. But just in case...

Anyone got a spare million I can borrow?

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/30/19 01:13 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2972585 - 01/30/19 03:58 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
facepalm

DAMN!

Left it in my other pants..... crazy

So, for charity, NOT his own gain....

Class! wink
Whitefang

#2972610 - 01/30/19 07:28 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Well best of luck to David and those charities. Seems like a selfless thing to do.....I hope he raises hundreds of thousands for those causes.....
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2972623 - 01/30/19 08:10 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Good luck David with the sale! I hope you can help several charities! cool

#2972645 - 01/30/19 09:52 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Just saw on the BBC that David Gilmour is auctioning off @120 guitars for charity. They didn’t say if any of his more famous guitars will be on the block. But just in case...

Anyone got a spare million I can borrow?

In fact it is all his famous guitars, the Black Strat, the gold Les Paul on 'Another Brick in the Wall', the Martin acoustic on 'Wish You Were Here', & on & on. 120 guitars in all. But perhaps most historically interesting is the 1954 Stratocaster serial # 0001. I hope the Smithsonian picks this one up, though there is no conceivable dollar figure which can realistically reflect the true value of this treasure.
Interesting to think that the instruments which have provided the sounds for some of the most important non-classical music of the last half century will likely end up in the penthouses of venture capitalists.

#2972654 - 01/30/19 10:12 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: Scott Fraser]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser

In fact it is all his famous guitars, the Black Strat, the gold Les Paul on 'Another Brick in the Wall', the Martin acoustic on 'Wish You Were Here', & on & on. 120 guitars in all. But perhaps most historically interesting is the 1954 Stratocaster serial # 0001. I hope the Smithsonian picks this one up, though there is no conceivable dollar figure which can realistically reflect the true value of this treasure.
Interesting to think that the instruments which have provided the sounds for some of the most important non-classical music of the last half century will likely end up in the penthouses of venture capitalists.

Wow. Now that may bring in some real money for the causes he is hoping to help. Best of Luck David.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2973353 - 02/02/19 02:46 PM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I think I might be more interested...were I ever so...in a gtr from Dave Gilmore
Hello, Everybody, dig the F outta this !
Gilmour is cool but Gilmore is a K-Smash!
What ya gotta say ?

#2973454 - 02/03/19 08:42 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: d]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
The drummer overshadows the other players with sheer awesomeness! All monsters, no doubt, but the drummer steals the thunder.

#2973458 - 02/03/19 09:18 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: Bluesape]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Good player, but he does need to change his name.

#2973473 - 02/03/19 10:44 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: Scott Fraser]
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago/NW Indiana
I love that Gilmour says that he won't really miss the black Strat because Fender gave him two that, to him, are identical to the original.

#2973505 - 02/03/19 01:07 PM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: zeronyne]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
On the 0001 strat, I read an interview with him where he said he didn't believe it was the actual first strat ever made. It just wound up with that number somehow. I suppose he would know.

#2973666 - 02/04/19 11:01 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: zeronyne]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: zeronyne
I love that Gilmour says that he won't really miss the black Strat because Fender gave him two that, to him, are identical to the original.

That reminds of Todd Rundgren and the Fool SG... a fan showed up at a show in Japan and gave him a replica he had made out of the same year SG, only it was much better (the original headstock on the original fool SG "rotted off" basically while owned by Jackie Lomax, since the guitar didn't have a lacquer coat after being sanded for the psychedlic paintjob and Lomax didn't particularly take good care of it... when Rundgren bought it he had to have lots of work done on it)... so he sold the original and kept the replica!

#2973831 - 02/05/19 04:14 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: p90jr]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
laugh

This might be a bit OT, but not by much.... wink

A friend of mine once( facetiously I'll add...) suggested that ELVIS PRESLEY died a few YEARS before it was announced and that in the meantime, an Elvis "impersonator" made all of his live performances until the "suits" felt it expedient to finally let him "die". wink

Just like some of us( me mostly) joked that president RONALD REAGAN died while in his first term, but was quietly replaced by actor DON DeFORE, and nobody noticed! grin
Whitefang

#2974491 - 02/08/19 07:23 AM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

How much ya think he got for this one ?
It carries Sir Paul McCrassley's fingerprints !

#2974871 - 02/09/19 09:37 PM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: d]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I wouldn't mind the Zemaitis he used on Money. smile

#2975454 - 02/12/19 10:13 PM Re: David Gilmour charity guitar auction [Re: hurricane hugo]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I wouldn't mind the money he used on a Zemaitis.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose