Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

Can anyone provide a comparison between this and the Yamaha P125? I traded in 3 older things I wasn't using last summer for the P125 and am quite pleased (as a portable piano of course) of how the left hand bass sounds through the speakers and eq'd for rock, pop etc.

Now, I would imagine having owned a PX130 and trying the other pX series pianos that the action on the PX-S1000 would be more realistic, but how would it sound for rock music vs. classical and jazz?

My PX130 was decent, but when I was playing rock vs. classical/jazz I preferred the Yamaha.

Needless to say, kudos to Casio for developing something new this NAMM- my PX130 was made very well.

For jazz, it would sound very much like this. The PX-S series has much of the same tech as the Grand Hybrid used here.

[video:youtube]

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

The Casio PX-S3000 has an Audio Recorder / Playback : Max 99 songs, approximately 25 min/song.

Is one able to export the audio, if so how and and are they in uncompressed (.wav) audio file format?

Is one able too edit and turn OFF the Chorus Effect on the patch called "Electric Piano" , or is the Chorus effect built in to "Electric Piano" samples?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The Casio PX-S1000 has an Audio Recorder

Sorry this is incorrect. Only the PX-S3000 has this feature. Can you tell me where you found this so I can get it corrected?

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

The Casio PX-S1000 has an Audio Recorder

Sorry this is incorrect. Only the PX-S3000 has this feature. Can you tell me where you found this so I can get it corrected?

Mike, looks like Jazz copied the text from the S3000 specs on the Casio site.

The Casio page is correct in that it only says that for the S3000. Perhaps a 3rd party has incorrectly copied details and posted the same for both boards.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Oops I meant to type PX-S3000, corrected now.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Nice "Electric Piano" (Fender Rhodes) "blowing" at 14:15. I guess there are multiple EP Fender Rhodes in the S3000 and one in the S1000. Yes?

Question: How do you export an audio recording from the S3000, and what file format would it be in?

[video:youtube]

Nice "Electric Piano" (Fender Rhodes) "blowing" at 14:15. I guess there are multiple EP Fender Rhodes in the S3000 and one in the S1000. Yes?

Question: How do you export an audio recording from the S3000, and what file format would it be in?

Like other Privia models, you add a USB stick and it records a .wav file. The electric piano Nick Smith is playing in the video is from the PX-S3000. You won't find that specific preset in the PX-S1000.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Like other Privia models, you add a USB stick and it records a .wav file. The electric piano Nick Smith is playing in the video is from the PX-S3000. You won't find that specific preset in the PX-S1000.

I understand the S3000 has many more sounds than the S1000.

Approximately how many of them are piano and e-piano sounds?

I understand the S3000 has many more sounds than the S1000.

Approximately how many of them are piano and e-piano sounds?

There are 42 Tones in the E.Piano category (excluding GM Tones), but this also includes clavs, bells and harpsichords. 24 of them are strictly electric pianos.

Rich Formidoni

Product Marketing Manager

Casio America

Rich, I saw you mentioned in a video that "all the great sounds that you hear in {the} higher end CTX models" are in the PX-S3000. Can you be more precise about that? i.e.:

* Are all the PX-S3000 sounds (other than acoustic piano) the same as those in the CT-X5000? (including the electric pianos)

* What about the non-acoustic piano sounds in the PX-S1000? Are they the same as the PX-160, or have those also been updated to CTX sounds (or are they something else entirely)?

* Obviously not *all* of the CT-X5000 sounds can be in the PX-S3000, because the former has 800 sounds and the latter has 700 sounds. Do you have any info about what hasn't been brought over? I assume the APs would be a logical set to cut, since the PX ones would presumably be better. Are the other "categories" of sounds that didn't make the cut, or are they scattered sounds from among different categories?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks Fleer! Casio actually doesn't publicize ROM size specs, so I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you on that one.

AnotherScott, my comment about "all the great sounds you hear in the higher end CT-X" could have come out better. It is missing some of the sounds as you say, but it does have the effects editing capability of the CT-X3000/5000. We are close but not quite at the final spec so I'll need to hold off on exactly which sounds are missing.

The PX-S1000's non-piano sounds are indeed different than what's in the PX-160 and CT-X.

Rich Formidoni

Product Marketing Manager

Casio America

Im confused. Are all the Electric Pianos in the S3000 from the CTX series ?

We are close but not quite at the final spec so I'll need to hold off on exactly which sounds are missing.
I think this is the key phrase regarding the PX-S3000 in what Rich has posted. Until the spec of the PX-S3000 is finalized, they won't be able to say exactly what's in it. Or, they could say what was in it at NAMM but it could change, so they'd be better off saying they don't know yet.

Jazz+ My guess is that the EPs in the PX-S3000 will be similar to the CT-X ones, but with more DSP power and thus many more possibilities. I'd be surprised if the chorus was "baked in" the tine-style EP on that model, but I can't say for sure. (OTOH, look at the PX-S1000 as a PX-160 replacement, and it's possible the effects would be baked in on those tones if they are on the PX-160. Again, just guessing based on what past models have had.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just hope the PX-S1000 will remain interesting enough.

There's something about that sleek screenless slab I just love.

They both look like that, no? Especially when they're powered down.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just hope the PX-S1000 will remain interesting enough.

There's something about that sleek screenless slab I just love.

They both look like that, no? Especially when they're powered down.

It's the little things. No knobs, no levers. If they don't cripple the PX-S1000 I'll get several.

BTW... regarding competition with these Casios...

Did anyone happen to hear the new Roland FP -10 at NAMM?

It lists for $ 499.00. Apparently it has the Supernatural piano of some sort, and the Rhodes demo I heard didn't sound too bad.

I recently played an FP- 30 and was pleasantly surprised. The only thing to compare it to was the new Yamaha portable, P 125 or something.

I thought the Roland FP 30 held up well to that.

The FP 10 has also perked my interest in the Portable category.

Can I assume the Chorus is baked in on the Electric Piano in the S1000?

I own a CTX . If I buy a S3000 will I be getting much a improved sounding Electric Pianos than what I have in the CTX? Thanks

I own a CTX . If I buy a S3000 will I be getting much a improved sounding Electric Pianos than what I have in the CTX? Thanks

What model CT-X?

-Mike Martin

Casio

What model CT-X?

I'm guessing it's the CT-X 700 is listed in his signature.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments