Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2972235 - 01/28/19 02:41 PM This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
He brought his Dan Electro Resonator guitar over. It sounded beautiful on the clean channel but when he plugged his distortion stomp into it, that was the most horrible tone of any guitar I have ever put through the HRD, so then we tried the (ugh) distortion channel of the HRD which was even worse than his distortion stomp. So he said all he uses is overdrive. He was a decent player, so I sent him on his way to find something sparkling clean with some advice on what might work for him and that guitar. I could not try to sell him that HRD, I am sure he would not have been happy with it. Anyways I would never try to do overdrive with that type of guitar using any amp.

www.vintageguitar.com/30609/danelectro-59-resonator/
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

GP Island
#2972283 - 01/28/19 07:30 PM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
DBM, It's too bad he didn't bring his amp with him so you could hear how good his distortion pedal works with his resonator (for comparison purposes). I would not use a distortion pedal on mine as I like the natural stock resonator sound too much. Glad you did not try to sell him on the HRD if it would not work for his setup...honesty is a virtue! cool

#2972331 - 01/29/19 05:04 AM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: Larryz]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
There is no accounting for taste. There are a bunch of folks whose tone sounds horrible to me, but they like it.
Go figure.

#2972364 - 01/29/19 08:39 AM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
DBM, It's too bad he didn't bring his amp with him so you could hear how good his distortion pedal works with his resonator (for comparison purposes). I would not use a distortion pedal on mine as I like the natural stock resonator sound too much. Glad you did not try to sell him on the HRD if it would not work for his setup...honesty is a virtue! cool

I think the buyer did not yet have an amp, he was looking hard to get one that sounded good.

And also I could never do a bad turn to a buyer who comes over with good intent. I had good parents who taught me the value of integrity. I am never going to try and put one over on anyone, I simply cannot justify thievery for my gain and someone else's loss. No thanks, money is just not that important to me, but my integrity is..................

#2972366 - 01/29/19 08:40 AM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: picker]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: picker
There is no accounting for taste. There are a bunch of folks whose tone sounds horrible to me, but they like it.
Go figure.

Even the dude who came over thought it sounded awful, as did I. Overdrive was simply overpowering the tubes and the bass side of the instrument was too much for the HRD to pass cleanly with the distortions on. With only clean on, the thing sounded awesome. I think it was the soap bar pup and its position near the neck, plus the resonator probably passed on some wavelengths that were simply too much for tubes. Using my guitar with the same settings, the amp sounded beautiful, smooth like a Santana type overdrive, with the resonator it was really displeasing.

Plus he was playing full chords on overdrive which is pretty hard to get done with the HRD unless you know what you are doing, he didn't yet understand how to use chords and overdrive pedals.

#2972543 - 01/29/19 07:34 PM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

I think the buyer did not yet have an amp, he was looking hard to get one that sounded good.

And also I could never do a bad turn to a buyer who comes over with good intent. I had good parents who taught me the value of integrity. I am never going to try and put one over on anyone, I simply cannot justify thievery for my gain and someone else's loss. No thanks, money is just not that important to me, but my integrity is..................

I knew you were a man of integrity DBM, Glad you sent him on his way to continue his search for the right amp. When I read this: "So he said all he uses is overdrive" in your OP, I thought he might have a setup of some kind and just wanted to upgrade...anyway, I think he'll have a hard time finding a better sounding amp than your HRD for his resonator, if he would consider skipping that distortion pedal.... cool

#2972608 - 01/30/19 07:26 AM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think he'll have a hard time finding a better sounding amp than your HRD for his resonator, if he would consider skipping that distortion pedal.... cool

I think he bought the guitar because of it's looks, because it seemed new. I do not think he will find any amp that will work with that distortion pedal and that guitar for that big hard rock and metal sound he was trying to get out of it. I think he is forming his set up with the guitar as also new.

Another buyer will come, they always do. Sometimes it takes me several years to sell certain guitars and amps. But they eventually go. At least so far they have.

#2972624 - 01/30/19 08:11 AM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

thu

#2972729 - 01/30/19 03:59 PM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: desertbluesman]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
I think he'll have a hard time finding a better sounding amp than your HRD for his resonator, if he would consider skipping that distortion pedal.... cool

I think he bought the guitar because of it's looks, because it seemed new. I do not think he will find any amp that will work with that distortion pedal and that guitar for that big hard rock and metal sound he was trying to get out of it. I think he is forming his set up with the guitar as also new.

Another buyer will come, they always do. Sometimes it takes me several years to sell certain guitars and amps. But they eventually go. At least so far they have.

hard rock and metal with a resonator guitar?

oy vey... I guess maybe Jack White has done something wacky that people saw...

Reminds of the time a guy on a local board asked why he couldn't get a good classic "punk" sound like The Ramones and Clash from his Les Paul Studio. I said that guitar would give that sound, and I had to ask what amp he had.... his answer "Roland Jazz Chorus 120." I politely said the amp was the "problem," in that he was trying to get sounds made with a Marshall half stack (The Clash) and a Twin turned all the way up (Sex Pistols) that's relying on tubes overdriving and speakers breaking up... and he had a solid state amp. He got angry and told me "fu@k off! My amp is good!!! It has a distortion button!!!"
Then a couple of days later he left a message apologizing because everybody he asked told him the same thing and a friend even demonstrated with a small Marshall combo that he really needed tubes to nail that type of sound.

#2972777 - 01/31/19 03:23 AM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: p90jr]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
It's true, you do need to match your instrument with the amp to get the sound you want.

"To find your Prince Charming, you have to kiss a lot of toads." In other words, experiment.

Also, tone controls are on amps for a REASON. I have often played an Alvarez acoustic with a Di Marzio pickup through a Fender Princeton. It sounds HORRIBLE with the treble all the way up, but if you turn the treble off and the mid and bass all the way up, it's a really nice sound. And not just to my ears; I often got compliments on the sound I got.

#2972800 - 01/31/19 07:28 AM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: Eric Iverson]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I think the guy should take his resonator and his pedal to the nearest GC. Plug it into 10 different amps and see if he can find the sound he's looking for. Then go over to the pedal rack, put on a pair of headphones and leave his distortion pedal out of line. Try 10 different distortion pedals and see if he can find the sound he's looking for. He can save a lot of time and money that way.

The resonator has a specific sound that people like to hear. Why buy a trumpet if you're looking for a tuba? Experimenting with new guitars, pedals and amps is fun and can be rewarding sometimes. When you stomp on the pedal to turn the altered sound off, you should be looking for the best resonator sound you can get IMHO. cool

#2972879 - 01/31/19 01:06 PM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@ larryz. I never saw that guy again, he lives 35 to 45 miles away, all the way across the whole Phoenix Metroplex in Mesa which is south and east of Phoenix, I live way west of Phoenix @ about 20 miles North west of Phoenix, in the most northwest town in the Phoenix Metroplex. I probably will never see or hear from him again. I did send him off with some advice to try a solid state amp, or a modeling amp, which would be much brighter and cleaner than the HRD because of the power the resonator puts out. It had much more power into the amp than my hot hum-bucking pickups seemed to have. Also he had no idea how to set the tone controls for overdrive for that guitar. Because of the Cannabis Rex speaker in the HRD, it has a bunch more bass response than the stock speaker, Way fatter and less bright. I did plug the HRD into my EVM 12 L which will handle 200 watts of power all by itself and it sounded just as raspy and toneless as the on board Cannabis Rex

#2972886 - 01/31/19 01:27 PM Re: This guy came to try my HRD with a Dan Electro Resononator [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

You did the best you could have done DBM...he'll either learn something new or he will come up with something new if he keeps trying! thu

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose