Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2972093 - 01/28/19 04:40 AM So....what WAS it?
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
OK. So, I own the guitars I do based on two different things.

One was a gift, and since it was(and still is wink ) an acoustic . An Epiphone FT-145 of a "dreadnought" design, and the other, a Washburn 12-string (of a model I can never remember).

I like them both, but if left to my own devices( and if I could have afforded at the time) I would have likely got a MARTIN HD-28 for the 6-string acoustic, but since my Epi and Washburn 12 were acquired almost 30 years apart, which 12-string I would have acquired is still a mystery.

I guess what I'm asking is---

What WAS it that made you buy the guitar(s) you DO have, and what SANE(if any) reason did you have for getting so MANY( for those of you who own up to a garageful)? Looks? Price? Playability? Manufacturer's rep? Color? WHAT???

I've yet to own an electric guitar, but when(and if) I do get around to buying one, it's gonna take a while because since I only need ONE, then WHICH one's gonna take time to determine, since there are many that appeal to both my taste in design, price and "playability".

Whitefang

GP Island
#2972098 - 01/28/19 06:02 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Good morning, Whitefang!

The simplest answer is sound and feel. I don't care how nice a Guitar looks, how expensive it may be, even less how "cool" it is to own, if I don't like how it feels in my hands, I don't even need to hear it, and if it feels okay, but I don't like the way it sounds, well, what's the point, then?

My main Electric is, and has been, the Gibson SG. Sure, I was first taken with it because so many of my early Guitar heroes played one, not least of them being Pete Townshend, and the earth-shaking sound he got for Live at Leeds. (I was also a huge fan of Quicksilver's John Cipollina.) Still, having played Guitar for over 50 years, and having gotten a chance to try many different makes, models and even custom Guitars, the SG still feels right in my hands, like it was made for me. I have two nearly identical 2003 Gibson SG Specials, because I always want to have a backup for any tool that I consider essential. (Yeah, to me they're tools, as well as Instruments.)

For that reason, I have two Guitars with built-in Synth Pickups, a Godin Freeway SA and a Brian Moore iGuitar 20.13. A lot of my live performance involves mixing the Guitar and Synth sounds, so again, it's something I want to have a back-up for, just in case. They're very different-looking, one Strat-type body & one LP-style, but functionally, they're very similar.

I have one old Japanese-made Alvarez Dreadnought that's well broken-in, a straight-up Acoustic, nothing done to it. Its tough as a tank, more than worthy to be called a Dreadnought. I know it was modeled after some Martin, I just don't recall which. One of the finest Guitars I've owned, and it was under $50, used. It's my "take-anywhere" Guitar, because it was clearly built to last.

I have an 8-string that I got to explore the extended tonal range (two lower strings, a "B", then a low "F#"), and because the first time I picked one up, it felt like I should be playing it.

I have an Ovation Custom Legend that I recently found, after my original Legend died from a crack in the top. I wasn't sure that I would find a replacement for the Legend, then the Custom showed up at my FLUMS, at a ridiculous low price, when I was trading in some gear. There was no way I could pass it up. The Legend is my favorite A/E model.

Last up is my Epiphone DOT. I wanted a Jazz Guitar, but not a full hollow-body, and when I picked up this particular DOT, it felt better than Guitars that cost much more. The neck is among the nicest I've ever played, on any Guitar, at any price point. I put flat wound strings on it, and it sounds great.

If this seems like a LOT of Guitars, you should now that I had 14 a while back, and slowly trimmed out the ones I really didn't need. I've used all of my current Guitars for recording or performing, except for the Custom Legend, as I've had it for just over a month. Of course, I have far more Synths than I do Guitars, but that's another story . . .

Edited by Winston Psmith (01/28/19 06:08 AM)

http://www.novparolo.com

#2972111 - 01/28/19 08:01 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: whitefang

I guess what I'm asking is---

What WAS it that made you buy the guitar(s) you DO have, and what SANE(if any) reason did you have for getting so MANY( for those of you who own up to a garageful)? Looks? Price? Playability? Manufacturer's rep? Color? WHAT???

Whitefang

All of the above. If I had to choose one of them, it would be Playability and that would include how it sounds when I play it. Looks can be a factor, choice of woods, feel, pickups, electronics, acoustic, electric, acoustic/electric, etc. Some people have one car some have many in their garage. I was up to 3 and have now pared it down to just 2. If I'm not using the guitar, boat, house, car, etc., then it's time to sell or give it away. I have acquired several guitars and have sold several over the years. Different strokes for different folk.

Hope you find what you are looking for in an electric if you decide to buy one. Maybe [pick] on one you have loved or wished for in the past. Or, go for something new that interests you. Think about what you play or want to play on it. Think about how much you will spend (new or used). Think about your desire...I think desire is a big part of it. If I had to get down to just one, I would probably buy a Gibson ES-175...If I want to sell any that I have, I can sell them all as I'm not really attached. What made me buy them? Desire. cool

#2972160 - 01/28/19 10:37 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
Price: My Deluxe Player Strat was blemished, I think my mom paid $500. for it.
Looks: It is a beautiful crimson red transparent with gold hardware. Not available on any other Strat that I know of.
Playability: 12 inch radius neck, also not available on any other Strat that I know of. I fell in love with the neck the first time I touched it. It also has all seven pickup positions.

#2972174 - 01/28/19 11:08 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: surfergirl]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
My primary issue is feel. It’s the aspect of a guitar that- besides quality of manufacture (#2 on my list)- is the least changeable aspect of a guitar.

Acoustics’ sound is also not mutable, so it comes in at #3. But with electrics, sound is changeable via pickup swaps. So I don’t pay anywhere near as much attention to sound on those- honestly, it’s somewhere near last.

I’d be lying if I said looks didn’t matter for me, but when I say that, I don’t mean it the same way as others usually do. I generally don’t care if a guitar looks out of place playing a particular genre- though I wouldn’t bring a wangcaster to a praise & worship venue- I care if the guitar looks good ON ME, and I want its visual aesthetic to work as a whole. I don’t usually like tobacco bursts or goldtops, but I have two of the first and one of the latter because they looked good on those particular guitars,

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/28/19 11:10 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2972290 - 01/28/19 09:19 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

Lets go in chronological order. My first real guitar that I bought is a Yamaha 12 string acoustic. I know, a 12 string is not the best choice for a first guitar, but I have always loved the sound of a 12 string, and I never regretted buying it. Next is my Epiphone 6 string acoustic. It was made in Japan back in 1980, has a solid spruce top with beautiful mahogany sides and back, but the main reason I bought it was because it belonged to my best friend, Bob. His first wife was bleeding him dry, and he sold the guitar to me for only $100, under the condition that if I sell it, he gets first shot at it. Never gonna happen. I like that thing.

I bought a silver Cortez copy of a Les Paul Custom from Wonderland Music in Dearborn, Michigan back in the early Eighties. I always liked Les Pauls, but I couldn't afford a Gibson, and Epiphone Les Pauls weren't around yet. It's not a high quality guitar, it's neck heavy, and it has a dirty sound that makes an overdrive pedal unnecessary.

About fifteen years ago I bought an Epiphone Joe Pass model on Ebay to turn around and sell for a quick $100 profit. While trying to sell it, I started playing it, and got attached to that thing. So, I kept it.

In fall of 2008 I was supposed to go down to Texas for an alligator hunt. Unfortunately, Hurricane Ike ruined my plan literally two days before I was going to fly there, so the hunting guide sent me my $500 deposit back. Since I wasn't able to book another hunting trip on short notice, I took the $500 and used it to buy my Carvin CS6T. I wanted a Carvin for years, but I could never either come up with the money or justify spending it for a guitar. No excuses this time, I had my custom built Carvin that cost just over $1,800, and I am so glad I bought it.

Two years ago another friend of mine sold me a 1982 Fender Stratocaster with a Squire neck, a Line 6 Spider IV 12o watt modeling amp, and an Alvarez 6 string acoustic for a total of $800. I traded the Fender for a few things that I sold for about $400, so I kept the amp and the guitar. I rarely play the guitar, since I like the Epiphone 6 string more, but since I don't need to sell it, the guitar stays.

Last, but not least, in December of last year I bought the Kiesel (formerly Carvin) Crescent guitar with the gorgeous aquaburst finish on the highly figured flamed maple top. It's the one I wrote about here in December. I was thinking about having Kiesel build me a guitar just like that one, so when I saw it available in Kiesel's guitars in stock section, I bought it.

My next guitar is going to be either a bass guitar from Guitar Fetish.com, a double neck Epiphone that looks like the one Jimmy Page made famous, another custom built Kiesel, or whatever bargain that comes along that I can't pass up.

#2972295 - 01/28/19 10:32 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Sharkman]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Short answer: Each and every guitar that I've bought sounded, played, felt, and looked the way I wanted- that is, they allowed and helped me to get what I wanted out of them- and I was also in the right place at the right time and able to afford them.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2972328 - 01/29/19 04:59 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
The guitar I've owned longest is a Guild D-25M. I bought it in 1981, and it was really been through the mill with me, and looks it too. I bought it because I wanted a good-sounding acoustic. I had gone to a music store in Bremerton, Washington, and thought I'd by one I could afford. I saw two expensive guitars, the Guild and a GIbson acoustic, and I figured I'd use them for a bench mark, get one that sounded as good as them. The Gibson didn't sound as good to me as the Guild, so it was the one I used for comparison. I pulled the first Epiphone off the wall and play a chord.

Awful.

I pulled the second one down. Just as bad.

Again and again, same story. I think he had 5 or 6 of them hanging up, and none of them sounded good at all.

Then, it came yo me; why not buy the Guild? I played it again, and it was everything I wanted it to sound like.

Well I couldn't afford to pay cash for it, but I put it on layaway, and bought it over a couple of paydays. I've had it ever since, and it has never disappointed.

#2972586 - 01/30/19 04:13 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: picker]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

There's a few only(electrics) I consider, based mostly on their designs. I do understand that in playability, each one has(according to some) their good points, AND( according to others ) their bad points, so I'll have to spend time finding and playing each to make a determination. So far they are...

...HAGSTROM Viking Deluxe;
...GIBSON(or Epiphone) Johnny A;
or
GIBSON(or Epiphone) Les Paul
wink

You can see I gravitate towards the semi-hollow, eh?
Whitefang

#2973374 - 02/02/19 05:50 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
First good axe was a 72 Tele that I still have. Clapton and Hendrix were my main idols then, followed by Santana, Jeff Beck, BB, Alvin Lee, Johnny Winter, and others, in no specific order.They each had their own special axes, which also all looked really cool. Nobody needs dozens of guitars, and GAS should be quantified as a mental disorder, of which I proudly suffer and endure. As you get gigging, you figure out that guitars and amps can and do fail, as Murphy's law dictates. So, you realize the value of backup gear, and if you obsess enough over several sonic textures that you can no longer live without, the GAS afflicted patient now rationalizes the absolute necessity of duplication, or at least, near duplication, hence multiple Stratty things, LP-like things etc. It is a wonderful sickness!

Edited by Bluesape (02/03/19 08:17 AM)

#2973414 - 02/03/19 04:09 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Bluesape]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Yeah, well...

I had an old buddy ("had" due to him dying frown ) who had instead, a huge collection of HARMONICAS( he played nothing else) and they were all in DIFFERENT "keys", not simply many different BRANDS of harmonicas, all in ONE key( which multiple guitars could be considered). So to me that made a bit more sense. Like I have only TWO guitars, one six-string, one a 12, and if I get a THIRD guitar, it'll likely just be ONE electric wink

Just like I only have TWO harmonicas, both HOHNERS, but two different keys. wink
Whitefang

#2973442 - 02/03/19 07:36 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

My harmonica playing duo buddy (since 1972) has all the keys as do most harpoon players. He likes Special 20's. They sell them in sets. My slide playing buddy plays in more than 12 keys using a capo and 3 different guitars in different tunings...I have many guitars and they are always in standard tuning. The only time I tune to altered tuning is when I try to play my square neck resonator. Then I tune to G, G minor and G7....different strokes for different folks. cool

#2973448 - 02/03/19 08:15 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Bluesape]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Bluesape
. . . As you get gigging, you figure out that guitars and amps can and do fail, as Murphy's law dictates. So, you realize the value of backup gear, and if you obsess enough over several sonic textures that you can no longer live without, the GAS afflicted patient now rationalizes the absolute necessity of duplication, or at least, near duplication, hence multiple Stratty things, LP-like things etc. It is a wonderful sickness!

Any tool you find essential should have a back-up: it's also a great excuse if you're married or otherwise attached.

Q: "Isn't that exactly like the one you got last month, the one you said was your new favorite?"

A: "Yeah, that's exactly why I had to have another, in case something happened to that first one . . ."

Feel free to use that excuse anytime you need it.

#2973598 - 02/04/19 05:00 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Larryz
My harmonica playing duo buddy (since 1972) has all the keys as do most harpoon players. He likes Special 20's. They sell them in sets. My slide playing buddy plays in more than 12 keys using a capo and 3 different guitars in different tunings...I have many guitars and they are always in standard tuning. The only time I tune to altered tuning is when I try to play my square neck resonator. Then I tune to G, G minor and G7....different strokes for different folks. cool

All for nothing. WHAT I'm addressing here now is....

Those guys( and here there ARE plenty) who own about a dozen or so guitars, ALL tuned "standard" (E,A,D,G,B,E) and whose ONLY reason for it is, "Because I CAN!" wink

Which is OK I guess, as long as it means NOT sacrificing money for more urgent and important things( food, medicine, rent, etc. wink ) But it's just my nature(I suppose) that can't see the sense of it. rolleyes
Whitefang

#2973599 - 02/04/19 05:06 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
All of my guitars have a story that is longer than I have patience for, let alone someone reading about it. I`ll stick to a few. Well for my Seagull acoustic, the brand seemed to offer great bang for the buck. But the cedar top model I had was strung so tight that, I wasn`t so much playing it as battling it. I took it to my favorite guitar shop and offered a trade in. They said okay, I looked around the store, saw another Seagull, sat down with it and got my mind officially blown. Sound and playability for years. Grabbed it and still doing the happily ever after thing.
As far as I`m concerned, the only country that rivals Japan for buying guitars-just buying, having anything done with them is another story-is maybe Spain. When I set out to buy an electric-it was just after January 1st, when a lot of stores have discounts-I had a list of things I was looking for. My favorite color would be from the wood, not paint. One-piece body. HSH or HSS pickups, for most tonal variety. After a LOT of homework-I went to guitarsite.com numerous times and went through every manufacturer I could find. I browsed the shops. I went to the Tokyo Instrument Fair-after a lot of that I found a Japanese maker that a lot of people have never heard of-Killer. One of the shops I frequented was an authorized dealer. The catalog prices were nuts. But in the store it was much more reasonable. I didn`t want the off the shelf model-in this case looks mattered. I wanted the body and fretboard to coordinate, even though I was least familiar with maple fretboards. I got it in four payments, for like 30% of the catalog price.
My other electric was also a discovery at Tokyo Music Instrument Fair. I was wandering around near closing time on the last day, and heard someone killing it-I got closer and they were playing lap style. Behind them were guitars on the wall-I had no idea who made them but I thought, I am going to have one of those. Looks and sound. I found out that they were made in Australia-Melbourne to be exact-but there was only one shop in Tokyo that carried them. When I saw the prices I thought, are you kidding me? I could fly to Sydney and.....
I can only imagine the look that came over my face.
I started calling places all over Australia. Most of them carried Maton-a fine brand in its own right. I finally found a used one, about an hour outside of town.
I had a family friend who was with a law firm. They had set her up in an apartment right across the quay from the Sydney Opera House. She thought I had lost my mind.
I got on the bus, reached the shop and the guitar was glorious. Whoever had it must have barely touched it. I got it back to Japan and promptly switched the house pickups for a set of Bartolini humbuckers. I have since found out that due to the scarcity of Australian timber, the materials for my guitar are no longer being used. Even more recently I found out that the company is not making electrics at all, at least for now. I have heard good things about the acoustics as well.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2973641 - 02/04/19 08:34 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Those guys( and here there ARE plenty) who own about a dozen or so guitars, ALL tuned "standard" (E,A,D,G,B,E) and whose ONLY reason for it is, "Because I CAN!" wink

Which is OK I guess, as long as it means NOT sacrificing money for more urgent and important things( food, medicine, rent, etc. wink ) But it's just my nature(I suppose) that can't see the sense of it. rolleyes
Whitefang

I think you mean Cents of it, as opposed to Sense of it LOL! You can buy a $26,000 boat or 26 $1,000 guitars. It's your money, you earned it and you can spend it on anything you "Desire". No one should sacrifice food, shelter, clothing, etc. for themselves or for their family. cool

#2973671 - 02/04/19 11:29 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Because I play the fu@k out of them!!! Onstage, in front of people.

#2973673 - 02/04/19 11:32 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

and as a pragmatic thing, different gigs call for different guitars/sounds.

#2973688 - 02/04/19 12:28 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: p90jr]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don’t gig, but I have many guitars, more pedals...and 2 amps. IOW, much more than I need.

I play a bunch of styles which have distinct tonal needs, and I like wired stuff besides, which explains the pedals. (I’d probably havevfewer if I owned a theremin.*)

Most of my guitars are either in E Standard or NST (CGDAEG, for the unfamiliar). I have one tuned to DADGAD. I have one I want to set up for slide in either Open G or Open C.**

Within the 2 main tunings I use, I’m trying to cover the bases a bit. Because of this, I have or am trying to acquire acoustics, solidbody, semihollow and hollowbody electric guitars; hardtails, Bigsbys and FRs; HBs, singlecoils, P90s, telecaster bridge, and Charlie Christian pickups in various configurations.

I really want a fretless electric- probably a Vigier Surfreter. I want at least one 12 (probably only E or D Standard) and a baritone, but I have my eyes on acoustics and electrics in both, soooo...

And that doesn’t even get into guitars I want just because.

The amp situation is clearer. The first and main one is a Fender HRD combo, which covers most of what I play. The second is an Orange TH30 Head with 212 cabfor my metal aspirations. Happy as I am, though, I’m still probably going to buy a few more amps- Quilter, Mesa, Carvin and Supro are tops of the list.

* ...and one of my pedals is a theremin pedal
** for those who know my stuff, YES, it’s the same one from 2017 and NO, I haven’t done that yet. laugh

#2973715 - 02/04/19 02:08 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
My Deluxe Player Strat is my main guitar and I have a Squier for a back up. I have a mini Squier, I'm going to give that to this girl that lives across the street. She comes to all of our practices and follows me around. Both her parents work, so I take her surfing with me and now I will try to teach her to play guitar. Not sure if can teach, but at least I can get her started
So, 2+ guitars and 14 surfboards.

#2973761 - 02/04/19 05:40 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: surfergirl]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa

Whitefang

A dozen, or indeed multiple dozens, do not make sense in the pragmatic mind. If one is savvy enough to buy them right, the right ones will appreciate many times over given enough years, but most windfalls dating way back were accidents. Gun enthusiasts often amass vast collections, without much research, beyond specific hunting and target needs. It's not about need or sense, it's about the desire to possess nice and cool things.

#2973830 - 02/05/19 04:06 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Bluesape]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Yeah, well...
My brother had a small collection( 'bout 5 or 6) of rifles, but only because he was a gun "nut" wink (POed him when I called him that! grin )

But by now, and thanks largely to that TV show, we ARE all aware that "hoarding" ISN'T "collecting". wink
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (02/05/19 04:06 AM)

#2973852 - 02/05/19 07:16 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Maybe, if I were just sitting around at home, playing tunes for myself, sure, I could see having just one or two Guitars, and a lot less peripheral gear to go with them, but that's not what I do.

Playing out in front of people, and recording my own albums, I need to be sure that ALL my gear is on good working order, from my Guitar all the way down to my connector cables; I even have a cable tester, and use it before every show. For the same reason, having back-ups of my critical gear is just good sense. Imagine a carpenter with only one saw, and no hammer . . .

Here's another way to look at it, though. By and large, we all own more stuff than we can use at any given moment. How many coffee cups are sitting in any given cupboard, right now, for one example? While I'm not into the current trend of asking if every single thing I own gives me "joy" (really, WTF?), my Guitars do give me joy, and they allow me to bring enjoyment to others. That's not a bad return on the money spent, better than booze or lottery tickets, IMHO.

#2973878 - 02/05/19 08:45 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Yeah, well...
My brother had a small collection( 'bout 5 or 6) of rifles, but only because he was a gun "nut" wink (POed him when I called him that! grin )

But by now, and thanks largely to that TV show, we ARE all aware that "hoarding" ISN'T "collecting". wink
Whitefang

You don't hunt quail with a high powered rifle and you don't hunt bear with a 22 for the most part LOL! They are all tuned the same way, they are tuned to B A N G low to high LOL! Most gun owners own more than one gun and they all have a different purpose (much like guitars). I quit hunting deer, quail and pheasant back in '83 but I still enjoy target shooting... cool

#2973982 - 02/05/19 03:54 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I try to get guitars that sound different from each other, with different pickup configurations, but at one point I had three guitars with two 'buckers, a PRS, a Parker Fly, and my faithful Hamer Special FM. They all sounded different, which makes a lot of sense to me. Different construction, different woods to a degree, and different electronics would pretty much have to sound different.

These days, I have more guitars than ever, but they all sound at least a little different, and each has it's uses.

#2974046 - 02/06/19 04:16 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

You don't hunt quail with a high powered rifle and you don't hunt bear with a 22 for the most part LOL! They are all tuned the same way, they are tuned to B A N G low to high LOL! Most gun owners own more than one gun and they all have a different purpose (much like guitars). I quit hunting deer, quail and pheasant back in '83 but I still enjoy target shooting... cool

Yeah, well....
My brother never hunted, or bothered to go to a range. He'd at best go to a secluded wooded area and just shoot at tree trunks. He just LIKED his guns is what it was. Just had no practical use for them. Which is why, I suppose, I only own two guitars. a six string and a 12. I have NO practical use for MORE than that. Now, if I ever DO get an electric(which I too have no practical use for) it'll just be for the occasional change of pace, and to quell another thing....
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (02/06/19 04:17 AM)

#2974060 - 02/06/19 07:18 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

"Practical use" is based upon your own personal opinion IMHO. For instance, I have no practical use for a 12 string and do not own one. I have owned a Fender electric 12 and sold it long ago. I have a buddy who only plays 12 string acoustics and has 3 or more of them. I like the sound I get and the sounds he gets. But, there are only about 3 or 4 songs that I would use one on. I don't care for the feel when I play one. So for me, there is no "practical use" for one. I hope you do buy an electric some day (and have an amp to go with it). I find they are easier to play than an acoustic and can add some really cool sounds to your rock and roll, surf, country, jazz, etc., tunes. Good hunting to you and don't worry about your brother so much! cool

#2974075 - 02/06/19 08:35 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Re: "practical use" -

Not everything has to have a practical use, and, if we're completely honest with ourselves, there isn't much practical use for a Guitar, at all.

That's not a condemnation, by any means. A great book or piece of artwork doesn't have to have any practical use either, but I wouldn't want to live in a world without Literature, Art, or Music.

#2974077 - 02/06/19 08:49 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My wife regards my "guitaring" as a semi-professional occupation or a hobby that pays (instead of me paying to do it). Gear purchases are made with the money I make from gigs... and I can sell all of the stuff (most of it at a profit). She complains more about my continuing collection of vinyl records and books because of the space they take up... and "you can have all of that on your iPad without physically having it in the house." I don't enjoy them as much in cyberspace...

Her dad blows a fortune on golf, her brother blows an enormous amount of money on the local college sporting events (he gives big money to the athletic foundation to get VIP treatment)... my gear makes much more sense to her than that.

#2974092 - 02/06/19 10:35 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: p90jr]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Veering back on track, somewhat . . .

Affordability and availability also factor into my gear acquisition. I buy a lot my gear either used or on blow-out sale, because that's what I can afford, and also because used gear tends to hold its value. Sometimes, I'll even find something I've been looking for at a price I really can't afford to pass up, like my iGuitar.

I outgrew the "gotta catch 'em all!" mentality a while back, after indulging myself for a while. There are things I'd like to have, like an Eventide Eclipse, and things I really need, like a better mixer for our band. Your guess which I'm more likely to get this year . . .

#2974162 - 02/06/19 04:54 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I admit to being a bit more impulsive than others, but even so, I do tend to wait for deals, be they discount codes or used listings on GC, Reverb, eBay and the like.

Hell...I’ve been buying more of the British pedals I wanted since the Brexit mess poked a hole in the value of the £ vs the $.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/06/19 04:55 PM)

#2974183 - 02/06/19 10:14 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Hell...I’ve been buying more of the British pedals I wanted since the Brexit mess poked a hole in the value of the £ vs the $.

What brands and models? Please expound and expand, elucidate and illuminate, Bro' Alcatraz...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2974200 - 02/07/19 04:21 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

"Practical use" is based upon your own personal opinion IMHO. For instance, I have no practical use for a 12 string and do not own one. I have owned a Fender electric 12 and sold it long ago. I have a buddy who only plays 12 string acoustics and has 3 or more of them. I like the sound I get and the sounds he gets. But, there are only about 3 or 4 songs that I would use one on. I don't care for the feel when I play one. So for me, there is no "practical use" for one. I hope you do buy an electric some day (and have an amp to go with it). I find they are easier to play than an acoustic and can add some really cool sounds to your rock and roll, surf, country, jazz, etc., tunes. Good hunting to you and don't worry about your brother so much! cool

Heh! You mention only 3 or 4 songs you had any use for a 12-sring for. wink Why not "make up" songs to play on one? grin

My main reason( or at least one of them) FOR getting a 12-string( besides liking the sound) was to see IF I could find MORE to play on it other than "Rake And Ramblin' Boy". wink

Don't dismay....Since my brother died in 2011, I've long quit worrying in that quarter. wink
Whitefang

#2974220 - 02/07/19 07:06 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Sorry to hear about your bother Fang, I lost one too...

I love that Rickenbacker 12 sound so Mr. Tambourine Man would be on my list. I also like doing the Day Tripper, Truckin and Pretty Woman riffs on a 12. I really should be trying to write something and probably will some day. But I do better on a 6 for my backing chord work and I use a lot of barre chords which would wear my index finger out on a 12. Those extra strings sound very pretty but they get in my way (probably because I don't have a 12 and I am not used to them). cool

#2974227 - 02/07/19 07:42 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I know dozens and dozens of good acoustic 12 string songs... Byrds, Tom Petty, The Church, Mamas & Papas, R.E.M., Beatles, Bowie, Bourgois Tagg, Hollies, Left Banke, Leadbelly...

#2974229 - 02/07/19 07:43 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

then again my nickname around here is "Human Jukebox"

#2974872 - 02/09/19 09:42 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

1. feel of the neck

2. price.

#2975040 - 02/11/19 04:15 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: hurricane hugo]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

So then, how many here( and be HONEST wink ) who own Strats bought a Strat because....

HENDRIX played one;
CLAPTON does....
....SRV did;
Or whomever?
And never bothered to try out anything ELSE....

I ask because I know a couple of guys who did, and wondered how many others there were. Like some who want to be country artists, and bought a TELECASTER because they thought they HAD to! rolleyes
Whitefang

#2975612 - 02/13/19 05:51 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I owned several gtrs both acoustic & electric over the yrs.
Maybe a total of <20 which isn't a great # but--- grin ---may reflect how cost-effective my decisions were.

The reason I finally always kept a Strat was that it seemed to me the most versatile & easily maintained gtr.
It does anything I've ever needed it to do.
To me, that's the entire point.

#2975662 - 02/14/19 03:15 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: d / halfnote]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Well.... THERE ya go! thu
Whitefang

#2975665 - 02/14/19 03:23 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So then, how many here( and be HONEST wink ) who own Strats bought a Strat because....

HENDRIX played one;
CLAPTON does....
....SRV did;
Or whomever?
And never bothered to try out anything ELSE....

I ask because I know a couple of guys who did, and wondered how many others there were. Like some who want to be country artists, and bought a TELECASTER because they thought they HAD to! rolleyes
Whitefang

One of my buddies is a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix, Yngwie Malmsteen and- most of all- Ritchie Blackmore.

He has several guitars. All Fender Strats. Not even another builder’s clone among them. Not even a G&L.

#2975697 - 02/14/19 07:12 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I still have 3 Strats. I gave one to my nephew and sold one to my brother. The one I sold to my brother was a Clapton signature custom shop model. I didn't buy it because of Clapton but because I wanted a quality made guitar. I think I paid 2 grand (which was cheap for a custom shop Fender) and sold it for 2 grand. It's value had increased to almost 4 and I couldn't see taking it out of the house anymore. If my brother ever wants to cash it back in for 2 grand, I will buy it back...Strats are great guitars! (I have never owned a clone or G&L either DannyA but almost pulled the trigger on a G&L a couple of times!). cool

#2975846 - 02/15/19 04:27 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Well, I wouldn't frown at a Strat as a GIFT, but to me, the design is so copied and "common" I might really never buy one on my own.

But, like often said;
..."To each....." wink
Whitefang

#2975866 - 02/15/19 06:26 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A slightly different take on the Strat question -

When I was starting to get both serious about playing Guitar, and good at what I was doing, most of the Strat players I knew were opening imitating Hendrix. I really didn't get it? Imitating Hendrix seemed like a dead end, forgive the unintended pun: it further seemed to me that to emulate Hendrix, you had be innovative and find your own damned sound!

IRL, the Guitar itself didn't reach me. I liked the feel of the upper neck, near the nut, but that was about all. I didn't like the sound of the pickups, had no interest in a Vibrato Bar, and found the arrangement of the controls awkward at best. Clearly, this was an Instrument designed for someone else.

Interestingly, another major Strat player & innovator is Adrian Belew, who has very long fingers, like Hendrix. I've tried playing some of Belew's KC material, and even on a Gibson, some of those Chord voicings are a real stretch, in every sense of the word.

Many of my early Guitar Heroes played SG's: PT, Santana, John Cipollina of Quicksilver. I loved their sound, and I loved the look of the SG. The first time I picked one up, it just felt right, and that was over 40 years ago.

I do have one Strat-style Guitar, my Godin Freeway, but I really bought it for the GHOST Hexpander system (Synth Pickup) that's built in. The body is Strat-shaped, but beyond that, it doesn't really feel much like a Fender.

#2975899 - 02/15/19 09:33 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My sole stratclone is a Fret-King that came from London. The one I wanted was metallic orange and had a P90 in the bridge...but it had sold out. But I had mentally committed to buying one, so I went through with the transaction.

I don’t regret it, strictly speaking- it’s loads of fun- but I still wish I had been able to get its cousin.

(Oh, and FWIW, one of my personal Strat heroes is Dick Dale.)

#2976046 - 02/16/19 03:19 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith

Well, there really wasn't supposed to be a "Strat question". But we know how these things go, eh?

And it does appear the "Hero/ looks" factor was major for you, and seems to be the majority( so far) wink
Whitefang

#2976076 - 02/16/19 08:27 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, there really wasn't supposed to be a "Strat question". But we know how these things go, eh?

And it does appear the "Hero/ looks" factor was major for you, and seems to be the majority( so far) wink
Whitefang

Not denying the hero factor, but feel was still the deciding issue for me. I loved the Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson, and Steve Hackett too, but the Les Paul never quite felt right in my hands, either, and I've had maybe five or six over time, both Gibsons and Epiphones. If it were just the hero factor, I'd have a black Les Paul Custom, and comfort be damned.

Also, I don't think too many of us are going to be drawn to Guitars that we've never heard, or even heard of, at all? It may not be anybody's idea of a 'Guitar hero' that we see playing it, but you're probably going to have heard someone playing the thing, to draw your attention.

BTW, you did start the thread by posing a question -

"So then, how many here( and be HONEST wink ) who own Strats bought a Strat because....

HENDRIX played one;
CLAPTON does....
....SRV did;
Or whomever?
And never bothered to try out anything ELSE...."

#2976100 - 02/16/19 01:09 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't frown at a Strat as a GIFT, but to me, the design is so copied and "common" I might really never buy one on my own.

That said, the Fender version, via Squire, is still the most affordable version.
Upgrades go wherever ya wanna take 'em !

#2976149 - 02/17/19 04:38 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Whitefang

Not denying the hero factor, but feel was still the deciding issue for me. I loved the Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson, and Steve Hackett too, but the Les Paul never quite felt right in my hands, either, and I've had maybe five or six over time, both Gibsons and Epiphones. If it were just the hero factor, I'd have a black Les Paul Custom, and comfort be damned.

Also, I don't think too many of us are going to be drawn to Guitars that we've never heard, or even heard of, at all? It may not be anybody's idea of a 'Guitar hero' that we see playing it, but you're probably going to have heard someone playing the thing, to draw your attention.

BTW, you did start the thread by posing a question -

"So then, how many here( and be HONEST wink ) who own Strats bought a Strat because....

HENDRIX played one;
CLAPTON does....
....SRV did;
Or whomever?
And never bothered to try out anything ELSE...."

Yeah, caught me! blush

Funny you mentioned loving( or having once "loved") the Mahavishnu Orchestra and included them to bring mention of the Les Paul. idk

Now, most would at first think of John's Gibson EDS-1275, but then I recalled the photos of John holding that black LP on "The Inner Mounting Flame" Lp's back cover. wink
Whitefang

#2976153 - 02/17/19 06:35 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Funny you mentioned loving( or having once "loved") the Mahavishnu Orchestra and included them to bring mention of the Les Paul. idk

Now, most would at first think of John's Gibson EDS-1275, but then I recalled the photos of John holding that black LP on "The Inner Mounting Flame" Lp's back cover. wink
Whitefang

@Whitefang - I knew you'd recall that LP. (double meaning there . . .)

#2976265 - 02/18/19 03:47 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

laugh laugh laugh

You KIDDIN'? I remember( after first seeing those guys open for ELP back in early '72, ) I couldn't remember WHAT the concert's emcee called 'em, and went to the nearby record store clumsily asking for..." an album by some band called the MAHATMA GANDHI Orchestra or whatever!" wink

The clerk set me straight, and I played that LP till you could DAMN NEAR hear BOTH SIDES play at once! laugh
Whitefang

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose