Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2974162 - 02/06/19 04:54 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I admit to being a bit more impulsive than others, but even so, I do tend to wait for deals, be they discount codes or used listings on GC, Reverb, eBay and the like.

Hell...I’ve been buying more of the British pedals I wanted since the Brexit mess poked a hole in the value of the £ vs the $.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/06/19 04:55 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2974183 - 02/06/19 10:14 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Hell...I’ve been buying more of the British pedals I wanted since the Brexit mess poked a hole in the value of the £ vs the $.

What brands and models? Please expound and expand, elucidate and illuminate, Bro' Alcatraz...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2974200 - 02/07/19 04:21 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Originally Posted By: Larryz
"Practical use" is based upon your own personal opinion IMHO. For instance, I have no practical use for a 12 string and do not own one. I have owned a Fender electric 12 and sold it long ago. I have a buddy who only plays 12 string acoustics and has 3 or more of them. I like the sound I get and the sounds he gets. But, there are only about 3 or 4 songs that I would use one on. I don't care for the feel when I play one. So for me, there is no "practical use" for one. I hope you do buy an electric some day (and have an amp to go with it). I find they are easier to play than an acoustic and can add some really cool sounds to your rock and roll, surf, country, jazz, etc., tunes. Good hunting to you and don't worry about your brother so much! cool

Heh! You mention only 3 or 4 songs you had any use for a 12-sring for. wink Why not "make up" songs to play on one? grin

My main reason( or at least one of them) FOR getting a 12-string( besides liking the sound) was to see IF I could find MORE to play on it other than "Rake And Ramblin' Boy". wink

Don't dismay....Since my brother died in 2011, I've long quit worrying in that quarter. wink
Whitefang

#2974220 - 02/07/19 07:06 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Sorry to hear about your bother Fang, I lost one too...

I love that Rickenbacker 12 sound so Mr. Tambourine Man would be on my list. I also like doing the Day Tripper, Truckin and Pretty Woman riffs on a 12. I really should be trying to write something and probably will some day. But I do better on a 6 for my backing chord work and I use a lot of barre chords which would wear my index finger out on a 12. Those extra strings sound very pretty but they get in my way (probably because I don't have a 12 and I am not used to them). cool

#2974227 - 02/07/19 07:42 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I know dozens and dozens of good acoustic 12 string songs... Byrds, Tom Petty, The Church, Mamas & Papas, R.E.M., Beatles, Bowie, Bourgois Tagg, Hollies, Left Banke, Leadbelly...

#2974229 - 02/07/19 07:43 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

then again my nickname around here is "Human Jukebox"

#2974872 - 02/09/19 09:42 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

1. feel of the neck

2. price.

#2975040 - 02/11/19 04:15 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: hurricane hugo]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

So then, how many here( and be HONEST wink ) who own Strats bought a Strat because....

HENDRIX played one;
CLAPTON does....
....SRV did;
Or whomever?
And never bothered to try out anything ELSE....

I ask because I know a couple of guys who did, and wondered how many others there were. Like some who want to be country artists, and bought a TELECASTER because they thought they HAD to! rolleyes
Whitefang

#2975612 - 02/13/19 05:51 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I owned several gtrs both acoustic & electric over the yrs.
Maybe a total of <20 which isn't a great # but--- grin ---may reflect how cost-effective my decisions were.

The reason I finally always kept a Strat was that it seemed to me the most versatile & easily maintained gtr.
It does anything I've ever needed it to do.
To me, that's the entire point.

#2975662 - 02/14/19 03:15 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Well.... THERE ya go! thu
Whitefang

#2975665 - 02/14/19 03:23 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
So then, how many here( and be HONEST wink ) who own Strats bought a Strat because....

HENDRIX played one;
CLAPTON does....
....SRV did;
Or whomever?
And never bothered to try out anything ELSE....

I ask because I know a couple of guys who did, and wondered how many others there were. Like some who want to be country artists, and bought a TELECASTER because they thought they HAD to! rolleyes
Whitefang

One of my buddies is a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix, Yngwie Malmsteen and- most of all- Ritchie Blackmore.

He has several guitars. All Fender Strats. Not even another builder’s clone among them. Not even a G&L.

#2975697 - 02/14/19 07:12 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I still have 3 Strats. I gave one to my nephew and sold one to my brother. The one I sold to my brother was a Clapton signature custom shop model. I didn't buy it because of Clapton but because I wanted a quality made guitar. I think I paid 2 grand (which was cheap for a custom shop Fender) and sold it for 2 grand. It's value had increased to almost 4 and I couldn't see taking it out of the house anymore. If my brother ever wants to cash it back in for 2 grand, I will buy it back...Strats are great guitars! (I have never owned a clone or G&L either DannyA but almost pulled the trigger on a G&L a couple of times!). cool

#2975846 - 02/15/19 04:27 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Well, I wouldn't frown at a Strat as a GIFT, but to me, the design is so copied and "common" I might really never buy one on my own.

But, like often said;
..."To each....." wink
Whitefang

#2975866 - 02/15/19 06:26 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
A slightly different take on the Strat question -

When I was starting to get both serious about playing Guitar, and good at what I was doing, most of the Strat players I knew were opening imitating Hendrix. I really didn't get it? Imitating Hendrix seemed like a dead end, forgive the unintended pun: it further seemed to me that to emulate Hendrix, you had be innovative and find your own damned sound!

IRL, the Guitar itself didn't reach me. I liked the feel of the upper neck, near the nut, but that was about all. I didn't like the sound of the pickups, had no interest in a Vibrato Bar, and found the arrangement of the controls awkward at best. Clearly, this was an Instrument designed for someone else.

Interestingly, another major Strat player & innovator is Adrian Belew, who has very long fingers, like Hendrix. I've tried playing some of Belew's KC material, and even on a Gibson, some of those Chord voicings are a real stretch, in every sense of the word.

Many of my early Guitar Heroes played SG's: PT, Santana, John Cipollina of Quicksilver. I loved their sound, and I loved the look of the SG. The first time I picked one up, it just felt right, and that was over 40 years ago.

I do have one Strat-style Guitar, my Godin Freeway, but I really bought it for the GHOST Hexpander system (Synth Pickup) that's built in. The body is Strat-shaped, but beyond that, it doesn't really feel much like a Fender.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2975899 - 02/15/19 09:33 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

My sole stratclone is a Fret-King that came from London. The one I wanted was metallic orange and had a P90 in the bridge...but it had sold out. But I had mentally committed to buying one, so I went through with the transaction.

I don’t regret it, strictly speaking- it’s loads of fun- but I still wish I had been able to get its cousin.

(Oh, and FWIW, one of my personal Strat heroes is Dick Dale.)

#2976046 - 02/16/19 03:19 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith

Well, there really wasn't supposed to be a "Strat question". But we know how these things go, eh?

And it does appear the "Hero/ looks" factor was major for you, and seems to be the majority( so far) wink
Whitefang

#2976076 - 02/16/19 08:27 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, there really wasn't supposed to be a "Strat question". But we know how these things go, eh?

And it does appear the "Hero/ looks" factor was major for you, and seems to be the majority( so far) wink
Whitefang

Not denying the hero factor, but feel was still the deciding issue for me. I loved the Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson, and Steve Hackett too, but the Les Paul never quite felt right in my hands, either, and I've had maybe five or six over time, both Gibsons and Epiphones. If it were just the hero factor, I'd have a black Les Paul Custom, and comfort be damned.

Also, I don't think too many of us are going to be drawn to Guitars that we've never heard, or even heard of, at all? It may not be anybody's idea of a 'Guitar hero' that we see playing it, but you're probably going to have heard someone playing the thing, to draw your attention.

BTW, you did start the thread by posing a question -

"So then, how many here( and be HONEST wink ) who own Strats bought a Strat because....

HENDRIX played one;
CLAPTON does....
....SRV did;
Or whomever?
And never bothered to try out anything ELSE...."

#2976100 - 02/16/19 01:09 PM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't frown at a Strat as a GIFT, but to me, the design is so copied and "common" I might really never buy one on my own.

That said, the Fender version, via Squire, is still the most affordable version.
Upgrades go wherever ya wanna take 'em !

#2976149 - 02/17/19 04:38 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Whitefang

Not denying the hero factor, but feel was still the deciding issue for me. I loved the Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson, and Steve Hackett too, but the Les Paul never quite felt right in my hands, either, and I've had maybe five or six over time, both Gibsons and Epiphones. If it were just the hero factor, I'd have a black Les Paul Custom, and comfort be damned.

Also, I don't think too many of us are going to be drawn to Guitars that we've never heard, or even heard of, at all? It may not be anybody's idea of a 'Guitar hero' that we see playing it, but you're probably going to have heard someone playing the thing, to draw your attention.

BTW, you did start the thread by posing a question -

"So then, how many here( and be HONEST wink ) who own Strats bought a Strat because....

HENDRIX played one;
CLAPTON does....
....SRV did;
Or whomever?
And never bothered to try out anything ELSE...."

Yeah, caught me! blush

Funny you mentioned loving( or having once "loved") the Mahavishnu Orchestra and included them to bring mention of the Les Paul. idk

Now, most would at first think of John's Gibson EDS-1275, but then I recalled the photos of John holding that black LP on "The Inner Mounting Flame" Lp's back cover. wink
Whitefang

#2976153 - 02/17/19 06:35 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Funny you mentioned loving( or having once "loved") the Mahavishnu Orchestra and included them to bring mention of the Les Paul. idk

Now, most would at first think of John's Gibson EDS-1275, but then I recalled the photos of John holding that black LP on "The Inner Mounting Flame" Lp's back cover. wink
Whitefang

@Whitefang - I knew you'd recall that LP. (double meaning there . . .)

#2976265 - 02/18/19 03:47 AM Re: So....what WAS it? [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

laugh laugh laugh

You KIDDIN'? I remember( after first seeing those guys open for ELP back in early '72, ) I couldn't remember WHAT the concert's emcee called 'em, and went to the nearby record store clumsily asking for..." an album by some band called the MAHATMA GANDHI Orchestra or whatever!" wink

The clerk set me straight, and I played that LP till you could DAMN NEAR hear BOTH SIDES play at once! laugh
Whitefang

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose